Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? 16:39 - Nov 17 with 6928 viewsReslovenSwan1

Wrexham are being pressed to change their name to 'Wrecsam'. It sounds the same and should not trouble our English speaking friends too much.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/wrexham-ryan-reynolds-rob-mcelhenne

"Ham" is an Saxon word for brook I recall so it would be a Welsh mangling an original English name. Llanelli is now only Welsh which is good and the old mangled Lanelly has gone. There is Pen y bont now in the Cymru Adran. Bari and Caerfili seem straight forward.

People would object to a change in the whole word not pronunciation for example 'Swansea City' to 'Dinas Abertawe'. It is easy for our non Welsh speaking friends to say but falls foul of tradition. Names and shirt colours are staunchly defended by traditionalists. As a relaxed liberal myself I can see this is valid.

I do however propose to the good forum that the women's team be changed to 'Dinas Abertawe'. "They aint got no tradition" so it will not be a big leap into the unknown.

I sometime get irritated when I see "Swansea sign up new goalscorer" . I open the page in excitement and anticipation to discover " Stacey Morgan has signed from Pontypridd United".

Another thread for the faithful during the international break. Kindly.

[Post edited 17 Nov 2023 20:11]

Wise sage since Toshack era

Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 17:45 - Nov 17 with 3342 viewsBoundy

All well and good but have you considered our shortened name m Swans which is translated to elyrch and as most other Clubs supporters know us as the shortened title maybe that could be used Hmmmmm

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 19:10 - Nov 17 with 3284 viewsSullutaCreturned

The most common sense idea I have heard was to only change the spelling to Welsh if it made no real difference, for example, Clybderwen to Clunderwen. Glyn-Neath to Glyn Nedd isn't too much of a change either.

Swansea to Abertawe though? Newport to Casnewydd-ar-Wysg or even just Casnewydd?

I can't see a problem with Wrecsam or even Caerdydd though there are football league rules around name changes that will have to be consulted.
Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 19:27 - Nov 17 with 3282 viewsKeithHaynes

Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 19:10 - Nov 17 by SullutaCreturned

The most common sense idea I have heard was to only change the spelling to Welsh if it made no real difference, for example, Clybderwen to Clunderwen. Glyn-Neath to Glyn Nedd isn't too much of a change either.

Swansea to Abertawe though? Newport to Casnewydd-ar-Wysg or even just Casnewydd?

I can't see a problem with Wrecsam or even Caerdydd though there are football league rules around name changes that will have to be consulted.

Abertawe wouldn’t work.
You would spend the rest of your life explaining what it meant.

This post has been edited by an administrator

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 19:29 - Nov 17 with 3276 viewsunion_jack

Enough of this nonsense!!!

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 19:49 - Nov 17 with 3245 viewsFlashberryjack

Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 19:29 - Nov 17 by union_jack

Enough of this nonsense!!!

Dinas Abertawe ffs

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 20:04 - Nov 17 with 3241 viewsReslovenSwan1

Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 19:49 - Nov 17 by Flashberryjack

Dinas Abertawe ffs

On newsnow Swansea city one third of the stories are not about male football. They are about the woman' s team. Robyn Pinder is looking forward to playing in the stadium. In another story Sammy Wynne is too. Not too sure who these guys are.

Coleman is banging on about "seminal" moments again.

Swansea city 'feministas' play in Wales in the Genaro Adran Premier. Call them Dinas Abertawe for full inclusivity and keep 'Swansea city' for the men's agame.

Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 20:09 - Nov 17 with 3237 viewsReslovenSwan1

Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 19:27 - Nov 17 by KeithHaynes

Abertawe wouldn’t work.

Ir t would work for the Women's team. It gives an unique identity and not a bolt on accessory feature for the club.

The Osprey volunteered to give up it's provenance. There are no Opreys in West Glamorgan. Where Trampie?
[Post edited 17 Nov 2023 20:10]

Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 21:26 - Nov 17 with 3190 viewsScotia

I don't think it needs to work.

Swansea isn't a Welsh speaking area, neither is Cardiff nor Newport. That's how the language has evolved. We represent Swansea not Wales.

I've never heard anybody from Swansea ever refer to Swansea as Abertawe.
Login to get fewer ads

Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 21:27 - Nov 17 with 3190 viewspencoedjack

Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 19:10 - Nov 17 by SullutaCreturned

Yep they can always play in the LOW if the English FA correctly rule they should stick to the English name 👍
Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 21:41 - Nov 17 with 3182 viewsReslovenSwan1

Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 21:27 - Nov 17 by pencoedjack

Yep they can always play in the LOW if the English FA correctly rule they should stick to the English name 👍

What have the the English FA got to do with it.?

The women's team of Swansea Cardiff and Wrexham all play in the Genaro Adran Premier. Almost all of their players are Welsh.

Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 21:50 - Nov 17 with 3175 viewsFlashberryjack

Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 21:41 - Nov 17 by ReslovenSwan1

The women's team of Swansea Cardiff and Wrexham all play in the Genaro Adran Premier. Almost all of their players are Welsh.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 07:25 - Nov 18 with 3094 viewsSullutaCreturned

Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 19:27 - Nov 17 by KeithHaynes

Abertawe wouldn’t work.

Took our son to the National maritime museum once, there were 3 student types looking at a map of Swansea, they were asking each other questions when one of them said "where's this Abertawe place then?"

It did make me laugh, as I passed I did put him straight, well I tried to but he still looked confused.
Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 09:24 - Nov 18 with 3043 viewsWhiterockin

Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 21:50 - Nov 17 by Flashberryjack

The reason the majority just ignore.
Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 14:39 - Nov 18 with 2919 viewsonehunglow

all things considered a ludicrous thread .
I can think of what is more important than a name.
Success.

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 15:28 - Nov 18 with 2885 viewsReslovenSwan1

Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 14:39 - Nov 18 by onehunglow

all things considered a ludicrous thread .
I can think of what is more important than a name.
Success.

You favour assimilation. Success is often based on a strong identity. A blurred identity is what Wales suffers from.
[Post edited 18 Nov 2023 15:30]

Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 15:41 - Nov 18 with 2859 viewsonehunglow

Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 15:28 - Nov 18 by ReslovenSwan1

You favour assimilation. Success is often based on a strong identity. A blurred identity is what Wales suffers from.
[Post edited 18 Nov 2023 15:30]

Surely ,youwould be happy supporting a team in the LOW.
Swansea is what our city is ,from Sweyns Eye.
Abertawe simply welsh interpretation.
Probably different in your valley.
You don’t like Swansea ,be honest .

You hate England,the English and everything with it.
Admit it if only to yourself
[Post edited 18 Nov 2023 15:42]

Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 15:43 - Nov 18 with 2855 viewsRhonddaSwans

would alienate us ?
would be more Nationalist nonsense?

ABERTWE ABERTWE FC WE THE GREATEST TEAM IN FOOTBALL THE WORLD GAS EVER SEEN!
(SORRY DON'T SPEAK WELSH)

The away team will spend the first half learning how to pronounce it?
hmmm 50/50

Poll: Will we beat Poland?

Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 15:53 - Nov 18 with 2835 viewsonehunglow

Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 15:43 - Nov 18 by RhonddaSwans

would alienate us ?
would be more Nationalist nonsense?

ABERTWE ABERTWE FC WE THE GREATEST TEAM IN FOOTBALL THE WORLD GAS EVER SEEN!
(SORRY DON'T SPEAK WELSH)

The away team will spend the first half learning how to pronounce it?
hmmm 50/50

Why even raise this question.
We want success for our club
Name is and always will be Swansea City AFC .
That simple

Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 16:23 - Nov 18 with 2819 viewsRhonddaSwans

Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 15:53 - Nov 18 by onehunglow

That simple

Just trying to be a bit more neutral. 😂

Our chant Swansea oh Swansea oh Swansea said I would be wrecked.

There are people that want to be ultra Nationalists.
(but don't see it could be seen as racism)

Lets comprise

Swansea City stays!

what is the swans in welsh?
our new nickname is WELSH????

Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 16:27 - Nov 18 with 2817 viewsRhonddaSwans

Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 16:23 - Nov 18 by RhonddaSwans

Just trying to be a bit more neutral. 😂

Our chant Swansea oh Swansea oh Swansea said I would be wrecked.

There are people that want to be ultra Nationalists.
(but don't see it could be seen as racism)

Lets comprise

Swansea City stays!

what is the swans in welsh?
our new nickname is WELSH????

just put up a vote !
can we all have our democratic vote lets see what wins?

Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 16:51 - Nov 18 with 2795 viewsWhiterockin

Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 15:53 - Nov 18 by onehunglow

That simple

Agree but not quite correct, we used to be Swansea Town.
Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 16:55 - Nov 18 with 2778 viewsonehunglow

Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 16:51 - Nov 18 by Whiterockin

Agree but not quite correct, we used to be Swansea Town.

Is and always will be.
I was careful over my tenses as Wayne Kerr is lurking ..the bugger

Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 17:47 - Nov 18 with 2746 viewsBillyChong

Andy Coleman seems to be far more vocal in support of the women’s team than the men’s. I’m all for the ladies team as a modern thinking person but suspicious of his support. Cheap PR? Trying to be the next Wrexham?
Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 18:29 - Nov 18 with 2722 viewstrampie

I would love to see the Welsh football teams change their names to the Welsh place name spellings.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 18:37 - Nov 18 with 2713 viewsReslovenSwan1

Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 18:29 - Nov 18 by trampie

I would love to see the Welsh football teams change their names to the Welsh place name spellings.

My PROPOSAL

Call the Women's Team DINAS ABERTAWE.

There reasons

a) It has local resonance
b) it is inclusive
c) It gives them a stronger identity
d) It voids confusion regarding headlines.

Any vote should be regarding ONLY the Women's team. I accept changing the men s team name would be unpopular.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024