Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
LfW Confessions 00:21 - Feb 23 with 6591 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

I don't know what playing the percentages means....
LfW Confessions on 10:05 - Feb 23 with 1783 viewswestberksr

LfW Confessions on 09:25 - Feb 23 by Discodroids

I always used to think that the Football phrase 'running the Channels', a favourite of Brian Marwood , was code for 'A striker that couldn't score in a hellbanianz East Ham Knocking shop with a £50 note wrappred round his cock'.

in other words 'Emile Heskey'!
LfW Confessions on 10:15 - Feb 23 with 1759 viewsDiscodroids

LfW Confessions on 10:05 - Feb 23 by westberksr

in other words 'Emile Heskey'!

He was the one player that sprung to mind!, as did a west ham striker i used to see a lot of
Jeroen Boere.

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

LfW Confessions on 10:31 - Feb 23 with 1739 viewsLongsufferingR

False 9. What on earth is that?
LfW Confessions on 10:34 - Feb 23 with 1736 viewsPunteR

Tiky taky football. What on earth is that.? Is it tipy tapy
[Post edited 23 Feb 2019 10:53]

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

LfW Confessions on 10:39 - Feb 23 with 1731 viewsDiscodroids

LfW Confessions on 10:31 - Feb 23 by LongsufferingR

Yep, I've never grasped that one.

'False 9' sounds like an American early 1960's sci fi Tv pilot that never got commissioned for Broadcast.

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

LfW Confessions on 11:14 - Feb 23 with 1706 viewsoldmisery

I'm afraid to say that I'm old enough to know that the False 9, AKA the Revie Plan, was a tactical system devised by Don Revie when playing for Man City in the 1950's.
Revie became a deep lying centre forward who started attacks by dropping deep to collect the ball in midfield and thus luring the opposition centre half out of position, his inside forward colleagues would then fill into the vacated space and cause confusion amongst the opposition defence (this in the days of the classic 2-3-5 formation). Using this system Man City reached the Cup Final two years in succession, losing in 1955 and winning in 1956.
LfW Confessions on 12:03 - Feb 23 with 1680 viewsLongsufferingR

LfW Confessions on 11:14 - Feb 23 by oldmisery

I'm afraid to say that I'm old enough to know that the False 9, AKA the Revie Plan, was a tactical system devised by Don Revie when playing for Man City in the 1950's.
Revie became a deep lying centre forward who started attacks by dropping deep to collect the ball in midfield and thus luring the opposition centre half out of position, his inside forward colleagues would then fill into the vacated space and cause confusion amongst the opposition defence (this in the days of the classic 2-3-5 formation). Using this system Man City reached the Cup Final two years in succession, losing in 1955 and winning in 1956.

Blimey, didn't realise it was that old. Maybe we should just stick Grant Hall in the number 9 shirt then. That'll confuse them.
LfW Confessions on 12:04 - Feb 23 with 1679 viewsDannyPaddox

LfW Confessions on 11:14 - Feb 23 by oldmisery

Revie was a genius. He also worked for NASA on experimental stuff for the moon landings. And of course set the foundations for Leeds to become champions of Europe.

Login to get fewer ads

LfW Confessions on 12:31 - Feb 23 with 1664 viewsoldmisery

LfW Confessions on 12:03 - Feb 23 by LongsufferingR

Blimey, didn't realise it was that old. Maybe we should just stick Grant Hall in the number 9 shirt then. That'll confuse them.

Yep, this system was first introduced to world football by the Hungarians who used their deep lying centre forward, Hidegkuti (in the space that Revie would later make his own) most famously when becoming the second foreign team to beat England in our own back yard - Wembley 1953.
It was big news then because we'd never lost at Wembley, our only previous home defeat being against Ireland in a friendly played at Goodison Park in 1949.
LfW Confessions on 13:15 - Feb 23 with 1640 viewsfrancisbowles

LfW Confessions on 12:31 - Feb 23 by oldmisery

Yep, this system was first introduced to world football by the Hungarians who used their deep lying centre forward, Hidegkuti (in the space that Revie would later make his own) most famously when becoming the second foreign team to beat England in our own back yard - Wembley 1953.
It was big news then because we'd never lost at Wembley, our only previous home defeat being against Ireland in a friendly played at Goodison Park in 1949.

So OM if we hadn't lost before at Wembley and they were the second foreign team to beat us 'in our own back yard' do you know who was the first and where was it played?

Intrigued!
LfW Confessions on 13:29 - Feb 23 with 1633 viewsloftboy

LfW Confessions on 13:15 - Feb 23 by francisbowles

So OM if we hadn't lost before at Wembley and they were the second foreign team to beat us 'in our own back yard' do you know who was the first and where was it played?

Intrigued!

He tells you in his last paragraph

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

LfW Confessions on 13:46 - Feb 23 with 1624 viewsFredManRave

LfW Confessions on 09:01 - Feb 23 by Discodroids

I was asked to join the LFW Frankie Friday MusIc group and was told by my old muckers fredmanrave and Brixton R that i need something called a 'whats app' group??.

i haven't a clue what one is and whether you eat it, f u ck it , smoke it or snort it.

I remind myself more and more everyday of that 'not the 9 oc lock news' high court Judge..

[Post edited 23 Feb 2019 9:07]

Come on mate, get it sorted. When Jo has finished doing her lashes (face or car) get here to download the app for you and then just pm me your mobile number and I'll de othe rest...

Your whatsapp group needs you!

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

LfW Confessions on 14:22 - Feb 23 with 1588 viewskarl

LfW Confessions on 08:14 - Feb 23 by Konk

I’m in my 40’s and until recently, I thought throw-ins were throw-ons. I need to find out whether this is something I picked-up from my Dad, and if so, is he still referring to throw-ons in his mid-70’s?

My tactical understanding of football hasn’t really evolved since I was about eight, so I’m not certain I fully understand what the second ball is. It’s a recent development - I’m sure second balls didn’t exist until about ten years ago. I think a SKY pundit made them up and now every cu nt bangs on about winning the second ball.
[Post edited 23 Feb 2019 8:20]

Your old man from Embra could/should have called it a 'shy'
abritdifferent.wordpress.com/tag/scottish-slang/

You've obviously made that up yourself Konk!

Tbf you only hear people of that generation calling it a shy now
LfW Confessions on 14:36 - Feb 23 with 1578 viewsdavman

I thought I had got over my prejudices about how bad women's football was and thought I'd give this City v Ars Cup final a go on BT today, but fck me, it is truly, truly awful.

I see no point watching a game played by players clearly no better than the standard I played.

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

LfW Confessions on 20:09 - Feb 23 with 1514 viewsqprxtc

Modern life is baffling:

1. What is doxing and how is it a word?

2. Who is Jesse Smollett? And what is that all about?

3. Who is that person at the end of Clive’s West Brom report? I don’t get it.

4. Why is everything baffling?

5. Is everything just noise all the time?

We all need to drop acid andxwear flares.
LfW Confessions on 20:20 - Feb 23 with 1499 viewsShotKneesHoop

LfW Confessions on 20:09 - Feb 23 by qprxtc

Modern life is baffling:

1. What is doxing and how is it a word?

2. Who is Jesse Smollett? And what is that all about?

3. Who is that person at the end of Clive’s West Brom report? I don’t get it.

4. Why is everything baffling?

5. Is everything just noise all the time?

We all need to drop acid andxwear flares.

You must have been a QPR fan since 1961 - like me - that lot breaking your heart is normal - but we always come back for more, It's the blue and white hoops - they are the ultimate drug.

Why does it feel like R'SWiPe is still on the books? Yer Couldn't Make It Up.Well Done Me!

LfW Confessions on 00:59 - Feb 24 with 1413 viewsKonk

LfW Confessions on 14:22 - Feb 23 by karl

Your old man from Embra could/should have called it a 'shy'
abritdifferent.wordpress.com/tag/scottish-slang/

You've obviously made that up yourself Konk!

Tbf you only hear people of that generation calling it a shy now

My Dad only lived in Edinburgh as a little kid, then his family moved back down to North London - he’s the only Scot in the family, but he was there long enough to become a hibby. I’m seeing him in a couple of weeks, so I’ll quiz him then! PS. I’ve never heard the shy thing before, so thanks for that. GGTTH.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

LfW Confessions on 02:04 - Feb 24 with 1398 viewsisawqpratwcity

LfW Confessions on 10:39 - Feb 23 by Discodroids

Yep, I've never grasped that one.

'False 9' sounds like an American early 1960's sci fi Tv pilot that never got commissioned for Broadcast.

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

LfW Confessions on 04:41 - Feb 24 with 1371 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

My missus calls me false 9, because I told her it was a 9 but it turned out to be false.
LfW Confessions on 07:42 - Feb 24 with 1338 viewsDannyPaddox

Im still to this day not sure what Ghandi's role was at Don Revie's Leeds.
LfW Confessions on 09:18 - Feb 25 with 1175 viewsrobith

Stonewall penalty always baffles me. Does it start a riot in a gay bar? Or hold back the forces of the North against the odds?
LfW Confessions on 10:23 - Feb 25 with 1152 viewsDannyPaddox

Pretty sure I never heard anyone say it in the seventies or the eighties and then sometime in the nineties Ron Atkinson used the expression and now everyone uses it. What is the facination with early doors?

"That keyboard solo on Light My Fire is a bit long"
LfW Confessions on 15:40 - Feb 25 with 1098 viewskensalriser

Suspect he meant to say early days and, not for the last time, said something really stupid instead.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

LfW Confessions on 19:35 - Feb 25 with 1032 viewsHitch

"The wider group"
very big in Rugby speak over here
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024