Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
players contracts... 12:58 - Mar 15 with 4191 viewssouthbrookstreet

As the world struggles against the coronavirus its obvious the April 4th football shut down will be extended probably as far as June No one knows or can tell..
Many players contracts are expiring in June probably hundreds I dont know but that will cause complications..easy way out is cancellation of the 2019/20 season, I would say that would be favorite at this point of time.. Sorry brentford fulham and west brom you could be at Loftus Road again next season
players contracts... on 13:02 - Mar 15 with 3436 viewsfrancisbowles

Get government, EU etc to legislate that all player contracts expiring this June are extended by one year due to exceptional emergency conditions.
players contracts... on 13:43 - Mar 15 with 3379 viewsEsox_Lucius

players contracts... on 13:02 - Mar 15 by francisbowles

Get government, EU etc to legislate that all player contracts expiring this June are extended by one year due to exceptional emergency conditions.

How will that work with the players that no-one wants that were running them down anyway? and those players that were running them down so as to take advantage of a very lucrative contract elsewhere? Going against that would be tantamount to slavery.

The grass is always greener.

players contracts... on 13:51 - Mar 15 with 3350 viewsJuzzie

Cancel the season? Just like that? Yeah, I’m sure we’d all be for that if Covid 19 happened in March 2011 or 2014.
players contracts... on 14:29 - Mar 15 with 3277 viewsRangersw12

players contracts... on 13:51 - Mar 15 by Juzzie

Cancel the season? Just like that? Yeah, I’m sure we’d all be for that if Covid 19 happened in March 2011 or 2014.

Yep

Anything to stop the scousers winning the league
players contracts... on 14:34 - Mar 15 with 3272 viewsloftboy

players contracts... on 14:29 - Mar 15 by Rangersw12

Yep

Anything to stop the scousers winning the league

Would be more hilarious Leeds being denied promotion.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

players contracts... on 09:49 - Mar 16 with 2906 viewsfrancisbowles

players contracts... on 13:43 - Mar 15 by Esox_Lucius

How will that work with the players that no-one wants that were running them down anyway? and those players that were running them down so as to take advantage of a very lucrative contract elsewhere? Going against that would be tantamount to slavery.

Yes I know it's extreme but the situation is unprecedented.

Maybe a better variation might be too extend them until this season is finished, however long it takes and then have a very short transfer window to include the time it takes to play the playoffs and a short break after, before we go with next season.

I am envisaging this season being finished in August and September but of course that is based on the the media and gut feeling.
players contracts... on 11:00 - Mar 16 with 2841 viewsbosh67

This season needs to be completed eventually otherwise I can see so many legal battles ensuing that football will eat itself and may never recover. If you listened to the podcast at the weekend contract wise (players coming out of them) according to Lee Hoos we aren't in a bad place and those that are can be fixed one way or another, so we are in as good a shape as we can be.

I would finish this season, ditch the FA Cup, League Cup and the Champions League next season. Put the Euros back to 2021 with it being reformatted as an initial play off tournament rather than groups and then straight to knock outs, so it is shorter.

The bottom line is that domestic football worldwide is the lifeblood of the game. F*ck that up in any way and the sport really will die out. That has to be the main consideration. The domestic cups and European/world tournaments have to be sacrificed temporarily to get things back on track. No other way to do it that makes sense.

If UEFA kick up a fuss it's time for domestic football to turn its back on them too.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

players contracts... on 11:15 - Mar 16 with 2809 viewsClive_Anderson

Won't most clubs go bust if they are paying players' wages without getting any TV income?

Who is to say the next season won't start for another year from here or even later.
Login to get fewer ads

players contracts... on 11:25 - Mar 16 with 2769 viewsfrancisbowles

Think the PFA should start a debate with their members (the players) about a substantial salary donation whilst this crisis is ongoing. Others in society will be losing money and the players need to be conscious of how they will be viewed if they are still drawing large salaries whilst not being seen to do anything.

This could go into a fund to ensure clubs are kept going and their members have an industry to return to.
players contracts... on 14:39 - Mar 16 with 2639 viewsdaveB

If the season goes beyond June 30th just extend players contract to the new season end date. It shouldn't be difficult
players contracts... on 14:51 - Mar 16 with 2615 viewsderbyhoop

players contracts... on 14:39 - Mar 16 by daveB

If the season goes beyond June 30th just extend players contract to the new season end date. It shouldn't be difficult

Not difficult?

How many players affected? Each one will have a different contract and a different motivation to extend or annul.
I agree it is the most logical solution for the vast majority but every contract will need to be updated.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

players contracts... on 14:57 - Mar 16 with 2603 viewsloftus77

players contracts... on 14:39 - Mar 16 by daveB

This.

And I'm sure what will happen is that the 2019/20 season WILL be fully completed even if it runs into the late summer/autumn/early winter. Too much football has been played to just abandon it and suffer all the legal consequences.

The 'casualty', I would argue, will be the 2020/21 season which may end up being a 'mini-season' where everyone plays each other just once from, say, January-June 2021 (i.e 23 games with League Cup abandoned and group stages of Ch Lge/Europa Lg scrapped). Normal service could then be resumed for 2021/22.
players contracts... on 14:58 - Mar 16 with 2597 viewskensalriser

players contracts... on 14:51 - Mar 16 by derbyhoop

Not difficult?

How many players affected? Each one will have a different contract and a different motivation to extend or annul.
I agree it is the most logical solution for the vast majority but every contract will need to be updated.

All that needs to happen is the governing bodies and clubs agreeing to it, which really shouldn't be that difficult assuming that fixtures can be completed over the summer.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

players contracts... on 14:58 - Mar 16 with 2595 viewsTonto

players contracts... on 14:57 - Mar 16 by loftus77

This.

And I'm sure what will happen is that the 2019/20 season WILL be fully completed even if it runs into the late summer/autumn/early winter. Too much football has been played to just abandon it and suffer all the legal consequences.

The 'casualty', I would argue, will be the 2020/21 season which may end up being a 'mini-season' where everyone plays each other just once from, say, January-June 2021 (i.e 23 games with League Cup abandoned and group stages of Ch Lge/Europa Lg scrapped). Normal service could then be resumed for 2021/22.

yup - something like this...

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

players contracts... on 15:02 - Mar 16 with 2576 viewsfrancisbowles

players contracts... on 14:58 - Mar 16 by kensalriser

All that needs to happen is the governing bodies and clubs agreeing to it, which really shouldn't be that difficult assuming that fixtures can be completed over the summer.

Surely there are legal issues as well?
players contracts... on 15:08 - Mar 16 with 2565 viewskensalriser

players contracts... on 15:02 - Mar 16 by francisbowles

Surely there are legal issues as well?

Exceptional circumstances. If governing bodies and clubs agree then it will work as players with expired contracts won't be able to go anywhere else until the season finishes. It's not really difficult compared with with the issues other industries, and indeed countries are facing.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

players contracts... on 15:12 - Mar 16 with 2544 viewsfrancisbowles

Still sounds like a restrictive practice, think government might have to lay down an emergency act.
players contracts... on 15:25 - Mar 16 with 2505 viewsdaveB

players contracts... on 14:51 - Mar 16 by derbyhoop

Not difficult?

it's common sense though isn't it, the window won't be open so they can't sign for anyone till the season officially ends, with all that is going on the vast majority of players are not going to kick off surely about signing a month or two extension.They can still move at the end of their contracts during the summer window the dates of it will just be amended.

All that has to happen is that FIFA say all players contracts which are due to end on 30th June now end on say the 30th August, it's very doable.

Far less complicated than whats happening with staff at Virgin and other airlines who are basically not being paid for 2 months whilst this goes on
[Post edited 16 Mar 2020 15:27]
players contracts... on 19:05 - Mar 16 with 2383 viewsMatch82

players contracts... on 15:25 - Mar 16 by daveB

it's common sense though isn't it, the window won't be open so they can't sign for anyone till the season officially ends, with all that is going on the vast majority of players are not going to kick off surely about signing a month or two extension.They can still move at the end of their contracts during the summer window the dates of it will just be amended.

All that has to happen is that FIFA say all players contracts which are due to end on 30th June now end on say the 30th August, it's very doable.

Far less complicated than whats happening with staff at Virgin and other airlines who are basically not being paid for 2 months whilst this goes on
[Post edited 16 Mar 2020 15:27]

Can imagine some clubs with a bunch of dead wood are not going to be all that thrilled about paying extra wages?

Personally I'd just let the contracts expire whenever they do currently but allow clubs to negotiate short 2 month extensions (current terms) with the existing players if they want to. Players not offered contracts aren't allowed to play for other clubs in that period but are allowed to SIGN for other clubs (i.e. could play next year).

That way:
No players are losing money they would have got
No clubs are stuck paying excess wages
No movement between clubs is restricted
No clubs get advantage of bringing in mercenaries to "get over the line"
players contracts... on 21:19 - Mar 16 with 2306 viewsdavman

Just continue when we're ready from where we are now.

Then either:

1.Postpone the transfer window to the end of the season whenever that is. Extend players contracts as others have said even though paying deadwood more than the club wants is not ideal, nor is retaining players who could get more elsewhere.

2. Allow teams to buy and sell just like they used to in the days before Sky out of the window. Unlikely that many teams will want to do much stuff when they may not know what division they are in don't know.

We have a really annoying WC coming in Nov / Dec 2022, so if the re-vamped season ended in September or October maybe we could make that WC work?

Tradition says football is August to May. Why couldn't it be January to October for a season or two?

If we HAVE to get back to Aug to May, we can do that with shorter seasons if needs be. Everyone says this is unprecedented, maybe it requires unprecedented thinking?

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

players contracts... on 08:38 - Mar 17 with 2171 viewsWestonsuperR

players contracts... on 14:57 - Mar 16 by loftus77

This.

I initially thought the mini-league solution also, play each team once but wouldn’t that finish off many lower league clubs who desperately rely on match day income?
players contracts... on 09:22 - Mar 17 with 2138 viewsEsox_Lucius

I have seen a lot of suggestions about "behind closed doors" games to finish the season but we are already seeing lots of teams having players diagnosed with CV so there is little sense in going through with that suggestion. Can you imagine the furore by our fans if QPR were forced to play a game with most of our first team self isolating or confirmed with CV?

The grass is always greener.

players contracts... on 12:50 - Mar 17 with 2070 viewsderbyhoop

players contracts... on 14:58 - Mar 16 by kensalriser

And the players. And their agents. Anything the football authorities try to do, could conflict with more general Employment Law.
[Post edited 17 Mar 2020 12:56]

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

players contracts... on 14:09 - Mar 17 with 2024 viewsdanehoop

players contracts... on 12:50 - Mar 17 by derbyhoop

And the players. And their agents. Anything the football authorities try to do, could conflict with more general Employment Law.
[Post edited 17 Mar 2020 12:56]

lot of people on here are confusing waht mught appear to be right morally (not sure that is actually a thing in football anymore though) with what is legal. Derbyhoop has the right of it. None of the footballing bodies are legislative bodies when it comes to employment or contractual law, that is set by national governments and the EU. Most of the football authroities already run a very fine line in their rules and law which has seen things goes badly awry previously (remember Bosman). They may be lobbying desprately behind the scenes, but whatever happens will realistically be in line with current legislation and that requires agreement of player and club to extend contracts beyond existing end points. Any attempt to bypass that on a generic basis will most likely be found to be illegal and certainly could not be compelled.

Never knowingly understood

players contracts... on 16:41 - Mar 17 with 1973 viewsnadera78

players contracts... on 13:02 - Mar 15 by francisbowles

A general principle of contract law is that one can only be altered by those who are a party to it, so here we're talking about the players and the clubs they are signed to play football for. No-one else - be it FA, government, EU - can alter that contract because they are not a party to it. In this instance that would mean each and every individual out of contract player would have to agree to extend their contracts with their club.

To legislate in the way you are suggesting would fundamentally alter the nature of a contract, and of contract law, for every single contract ever signed in this country.
[Post edited 17 Mar 2020 17:11]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024