Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
QPR impressive - don't you think? 17:27 - Nov 21 with 6823 viewsGreenbay

That was arguably the R's best performance of the season against a side that will finish surely in the promotion hunt.
To bounce back from horrendous defensive errors to go 1-nil down within 3 minutes of the start and then to play with such quality was highly impressive.
And they maintained it throughout the match and improved even more when the subs came on Hamaleinen, Willock, Dykes - and uncle who was just a little disappointing with his crosses.
The speed at which the R's passed, the diagonal crosses and most notably the effort to defend when losing the ball was high quality.
And the equalising goal was a stunner - quick passes around the box - with Chair delivering a fine finish.
We deserved all three points.
Congratulations to all the players.
If only we can play like that every week!
QPR impressive - don't you think? on 23:34 - Nov 21 with 1731 viewsTheChef

QPR impressive - don't you think? on 18:56 - Nov 21 by Northernr

Should have won that. The Dykes chance at the end if s gift. And at least one penalty should have been awarded.

Very encouraged with how we've played against both Watford and Bournemouth though. Got to follow up with a decent win on Tuesday though.

The Dykes chance was odd, I assumed he'd buried it with his head but became clear he'd used his arm. He seemed to suggest he'd been pulled back which might have been the case although only got one view of a replay.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

QPR impressive - don't you think? on 07:41 - Nov 22 with 1563 viewsstainrods_elbow

QPR impressive - don't you think? on 23:14 - Nov 21 by Myke

I agree. Any talks of blitzing them somewhat premature as they are only only 2 points behind us. Will settle for a dominant overall performance as per second half today, with any kind of a victory.

I know a lot of managers do it, but Warburton's drearily practised default of praising every oppo to the hilt prior to the game, regardless of form, standing or ability, does get on my tits. Everyone - literally everyone - is (perm any two/three from the following) 'very talented' , 'a threat', ' a good/very good side', full of 'great physicality', blessed with 'Prmeriership quality' etc. etc.) - even Derby he was extolling for their goal-scoring, I think!

Just occasionally, it might be refreshing if he threw away the self-protective handbook of manager cliches and said something along the lines of 'we'll respect Rotherham of course, but they've lost half their games, only managed 10 goals scored, and we've shown we can compete with the likes of Bournemouth and Watford, so that's where the bar is set for these players. Our fans - rumours of whose keyboard-warrior tendencies have been scurrilously exaggerated - wouldn't expect anything less. We're going ito the game to win, win well and give them something to shout about, as we haven't won three on the spin in this league since Anno Warnocki. We're all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. Per ardua as astra!'

Not going to happen, is it? I think it's what a former media officer at PR once called 'managing expectations' (downwards. (He thought it was a good thing.) Gerry Francis was also depressively - and depressingly - brillliant at it. One of the reasons Man Utd were so successful under AF was that they went into every game wanting and expecting to win, and it's a winning mentality you can instil at any club - rather than the QPR way, I'm sorry to say, of too often looking for excuses or setting things up for disappointment.
[Post edited 22 Nov 2020 7:50]

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

QPR impressive - don't you think? on 08:20 - Nov 22 with 1515 viewsWegerles_Stairs

QPR impressive - don't you think? on 19:17 - Nov 21 by Northernr

I'd love to see us go out and absolutely blitz the first 20 minutes on Tuesday. 4-1-4-1, Dykes up top, Chair, Willock, Bright and Adomah all at once, let's fcking go for it. We're playing pretty well - really good at Bournemouth, good 20 mins at Barnsley before the red, good 45 v cardiff, excellent 90 at Derby and very good again today. Would love us to just really put the rounds of the kitchen through a team and build that belief and confidence.

QPR 0-1 Rotherham.

Though we played well yesterday, it still annoys me that he doesn't play his strongest side from the start - i.e. Niko, Willock and Dykes. I get the squad rotation line but I'm from the generation that is used to seeing numbers 1 to 11 starting and players only missing through injury or hangovers. Thought Watford were very underwhelming and we could easily have won it. I too hope he loads the bases on Tuesday and we go at them from the start.
[Post edited 22 Nov 2020 8:21]
QPR impressive - don't you think? on 08:50 - Nov 22 with 1484 viewsgazza1

We are doing ok, lots of positives but I think we have got more in the tank and expect us to get better as the season progresses. Top 10 finish maybe.
QPR impressive - don't you think? on 08:59 - Nov 22 with 1475 viewsslmrstid

QPR impressive - don't you think? on 07:41 - Nov 22 by stainrods_elbow

I know a lot of managers do it, but Warburton's drearily practised default of praising every oppo to the hilt prior to the game, regardless of form, standing or ability, does get on my tits. Everyone - literally everyone - is (perm any two/three from the following) 'very talented' , 'a threat', ' a good/very good side', full of 'great physicality', blessed with 'Prmeriership quality' etc. etc.) - even Derby he was extolling for their goal-scoring, I think!

Just occasionally, it might be refreshing if he threw away the self-protective handbook of manager cliches and said something along the lines of 'we'll respect Rotherham of course, but they've lost half their games, only managed 10 goals scored, and we've shown we can compete with the likes of Bournemouth and Watford, so that's where the bar is set for these players. Our fans - rumours of whose keyboard-warrior tendencies have been scurrilously exaggerated - wouldn't expect anything less. We're going ito the game to win, win well and give them something to shout about, as we haven't won three on the spin in this league since Anno Warnocki. We're all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. Per ardua as astra!'

Not going to happen, is it? I think it's what a former media officer at PR once called 'managing expectations' (downwards. (He thought it was a good thing.) Gerry Francis was also depressively - and depressingly - brillliant at it. One of the reasons Man Utd were so successful under AF was that they went into every game wanting and expecting to win, and it's a winning mentality you can instil at any club - rather than the QPR way, I'm sorry to say, of too often looking for excuses or setting things up for disappointment.

That sort of tactic is hugely disrespectful to opponents, risks firing them up, risks making you look an absolute arse if you don't win the game, and can also burn some bridges with folk later down the line in future dealings.

"Oh, you want me to play for you? I thought you said I was crap?" etc....
QPR impressive - don't you think? on 09:27 - Nov 22 with 1430 viewsplasmahoop

QPR impressive - don't you think? on 08:59 - Nov 22 by slmrstid

That sort of tactic is hugely disrespectful to opponents, risks firing them up, risks making you look an absolute arse if you don't win the game, and can also burn some bridges with folk later down the line in future dealings.

Yes I agree, not a good strategy at all. It might be dull to listen to, but being respectful about the opposition is the way to go. A winning mentality isn't about the manager saying we're going to win, they're crap
QPR impressive - don't you think? on 09:41 - Nov 22 with 1407 viewsBklynRanger

QPR impressive - don't you think? on 18:05 - Nov 21 by stevec

Up there with the Bournemouth game then.

Wonder if ex Prem sides suit our style and it all unravels against the bread and butter sides of this Division.

Onto Rotherham.

A good question, wondering that myself.

I didn't see too much lumping it up front by Watford, or kicking lumps out of our midfield or other somewhat agricultural lump related practices.

Once we can get into the habit of switching between the eye pleasing stuff and the ugly stuff as needed we'll hopefully get a bit of consistency in results and start clawing our way up the table.
QPR impressive - don't you think? on 11:28 - Nov 22 with 1301 viewsTacticalR

@LazyFan

'Dykes 6:
Caused them some problems, great awareness for the assist. But really needs to win more headers.'

I am not sure headers are Dykes' thing. Balls whacked from the back in his general direction are not working, just as they didn't work for Matt Smith. There are not that many hold-up men who can bring down high balls whacked up from the back. Zamora was one those who could (while pinning whoever was behind him). Maybe Dykes (as Smith did) can get on the end of crosses, but that's a different thing.

We saw in Scotland's game against Serbia and in yesterday's assist for Chair that Dykes is a man with some vision and some skill. Just because somebody is tall doesn't mean they can't use their feet and you can just whack balls at them. As Dirk Bogarde says in The Servant: 'I'm not staying here in a place where they just chuck balls in your face.'

Air hostess clique

Login to get fewer ads

QPR impressive - don't you think? on 12:05 - Nov 22 with 1243 viewsdenhamhoop2

Hopefully start against Rotherham on the front foot by playing 4 2 3 1 with Dieng Kane Dickie(if fit) Barbet Niko Carroll Ball BOS Chair Adomah Dykes but whatever please 2 wingers and Chair in Number 10 role and please please please no Wallace anywhere near the team he is an accident waiting to happen every game
QPR impressive - don't you think? on 13:21 - Nov 22 with 1183 viewsPinnerPaul

QPR impressive - don't you think? on 18:56 - Nov 21 by Northernr

Should have won that. The Dykes chance at the end if s gift. And at least one penalty should have been awarded.

Very encouraged with how we've played against both Watford and Bournemouth though. Got to follow up with a decent win on Tuesday though.

With all due respect think you're falling into the Warburton trick of listing our near misses whilst totally ignoring theirs.

3 goal saving saves from our keeper, an excellent last ditch block from Masterson and another couple of wasted opportunities - all in the first half granted but they could have been out of sight in that 1st 45'.

Very pleased with how we played, especially after that 1st goal calamity and yes that was a defo pen on Barbet but pushing it a bit to say we deserved the win IMHO.

Think their manager summed it up nicely 'We deserved more in the first half, QPR deserved more in the 2nd'
QPR impressive - don't you think? on 13:23 - Nov 22 with 1177 viewsPinnerPaul

QPR impressive - don't you think? on 19:46 - Nov 21 by Ned_Kennedys

Agree about Cameron, ridiculous to criticise him for hanging back when he plays the defensive midfield role. Thought he had a very good game today, and has defied the predictions of those who doubted he could last a full game most weeks.

Agree and it was him who won the free kick for the Barbet free kick that went close.
QPR impressive - don't you think? on 13:25 - Nov 22 with 1174 viewsPinnerPaul

QPR impressive - don't you think? on 20:51 - Nov 21 by Northernr

Must have played pretty well because it's quiet on here tonight.

Yeah, feel sorry for L Block, the old 'keyboard' must be playing up again!
QPR impressive - don't you think? on 14:29 - Nov 22 with 1117 viewsdaveB

The key for the next few weeks is going to be how he uses the squad, it's going to mean rotating and will mean some players start some games and not others. We play Tuesday and Friday this week so would personally take out Cameron and Bright on Tuesday and bring in Wilock and Adomah so those 2 are fresh and ready for Friday. Both can be on the bench if needed.

Also how we use the subs was good yesterday, I thought yesterday if we stayed in the game and didn't concede a 2nd goal bringing on Dykes, Wilock and Adomah for the last 25 mins would get us back in the game.

Still for all the praise of the performance, and do agree we were very good at times, if Sarr takes a very good chance in the first half to make it 2-0 I think we'd have lost by a hatful as we were wide open at times at the back, very fine lines in the championship between a good performance and result and a disaster.
QPR impressive - don't you think? on 14:32 - Nov 22 with 1112 viewsfrancisbowles

QPR impressive - don't you think? on 14:29 - Nov 22 by daveB

The key for the next few weeks is going to be how he uses the squad, it's going to mean rotating and will mean some players start some games and not others. We play Tuesday and Friday this week so would personally take out Cameron and Bright on Tuesday and bring in Wilock and Adomah so those 2 are fresh and ready for Friday. Both can be on the bench if needed.

Also how we use the subs was good yesterday, I thought yesterday if we stayed in the game and didn't concede a 2nd goal bringing on Dykes, Wilock and Adomah for the last 25 mins would get us back in the game.

Still for all the praise of the performance, and do agree we were very good at times, if Sarr takes a very good chance in the first half to make it 2-0 I think we'd have lost by a hatful as we were wide open at times at the back, very fine lines in the championship between a good performance and result and a disaster.

Top post, agree with all of it.
QPR impressive - don't you think? on 15:40 - Nov 22 with 1040 viewsjoe90

I think we'll go into the Rotherham game with confidence and looking for a decisive win. As we know things don't always go to plan for us.

Interesting point made earlier about us doing well against the relagated sides, could be something in that. I don't think we adapt our play and are not cynical like Blackburn, PNE etc. That said, we do play very nice football on our day, but I think it means we'll drop points against some of the poorer teams.
[Post edited 22 Nov 2020 16:32]
QPR impressive - don't you think? on 16:14 - Nov 22 with 1013 viewswood_hoop

QPR impressive - don't you think? on 09:27 - Nov 22 by plasmahoop

Yes I agree, not a good strategy at all. It might be dull to listen to, but being respectful about the opposition is the way to go. A winning mentality isn't about the manager saying we're going to win, they're crap

Most of the pre and after match interviews are just managers trying not to drop a bollock.

I would be quite happy to hear the manager praised/threw teacups at the squad behind closed doors depending on their performance, who really knows what's being said.

You always must respect your opponent, top of the league, likely to make less mistakes, bottom more prone to making mistakes, but how many are going to give you the win before kick off.

We are all armchair managers but you never really know the reasons why certain players are selected, MW ain't alone he has coaches etc to help with decisions, but as he's the top man it falls on his shoulders to use whatever advice and what he sees in training.

I am no different to many others, puzzles me at times why certain players are selected but as I don't have a hot line to MW will just have to trust his decisions.

This manager malarky is extremely tenuous, he must instill a fair amount of trust into the players to follow his guidelines, if they don't/cant then is a quick goodbye at times with a very short notice, but not for the players.

Yesterdays game was a good result, shite happens, we lost a very early goal against one of the top teams currently in our division, could have got a real smacking, but we didn't, so MW must be getting a few things right, consistency is the next step on the ladder.
QPR impressive - don't you think? on 16:42 - Nov 22 with 992 viewsWrightUp5hit___

Dykes was definitely being held before the handball goal, so surely that should have been a penalty to us , rather than a free kick to them
QPR impressive - don't you think? on 12:22 - Nov 23 with 830 viewsichbinnaughty

QPR impressive - don't you think? on 19:17 - Nov 21 by Northernr

I'd love to see us go out and absolutely blitz the first 20 minutes on Tuesday. 4-1-4-1, Dykes up top, Chair, Willock, Bright and Adomah all at once, let's fcking go for it. We're playing pretty well - really good at Bournemouth, good 20 mins at Barnsley before the red, good 45 v cardiff, excellent 90 at Derby and very good again today. Would love us to just really put the rounds of the kitchen through a team and build that belief and confidence.

QPR 0-1 Rotherham.

😆
QPR impressive - don't you think? on 12:30 - Nov 23 with 820 viewsAntti_Heinola

QPR impressive - don't you think? on 14:29 - Nov 22 by daveB

Or if Bonne had equalised just after their goal when it was cleared off the line, it would have been 1-1 before Saar made it 2-0.
Neither did.

Bare bones.

QPR impressive - don't you think? on 13:18 - Nov 23 with 786 viewsNorthernr

QPR impressive - don't you think? on 09:27 - Nov 22 by plasmahoop

Look at what happened to Brentford end of last season. First thing Joe Bryan mentioned in his interview after the play-off final was the crap Thomas Frank had been talking pre-game. CHampionship's hard enough without motivating the opposition further.
QPR impressive - don't you think? on 13:27 - Nov 23 with 776 viewsRangersDave

1 swallow does not a good hooker make!

WWW.northernphotography.com
Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

QPR impressive - don't you think? on 13:29 - Nov 23 with 774 viewsAntti_Heinola

QPR impressive - don't you think? on 07:41 - Nov 22 by stainrods_elbow

But this would be for your benefit, Stainrod, and no one else's.
This sort of guff is the sort of rubbish that gets pinned up in opponent's dressing room and does a team talk for the opposite gaffer.

I'm not one to quote Saint Joey, but when we played Derby in the play offs, QPR put up Ned and Green for the interviews, precisely because they wouldn't say anything that might rile Derby up. It's pretty straight forward.

Judging a manager by what he says in press conferences and interviews is a waste of time. I don't have any problem with him not giving much away and speaking in platitudes, in fact, it's good, sensible management.

Ferguson would never have gone into games talking guff like you say here.

Bare bones.

QPR impressive - don't you think? on 15:14 - Nov 23 with 712 viewsstainrods_elbow

QPR impressive - don't you think? on 08:59 - Nov 22 by slmrstid

Please try reading me more carefully - see the very opening of our manager's imaginary speech!

QPR impressive - don't you think? on 15:25 - Nov 23 with 704 viewsstainrods_elbow

QPR impressive - don't you think? on 13:29 - Nov 23 by Antti_Heinola

But this would be for your benefit, Stainrod, and no one else's.
This sort of guff is the sort of rubbish that gets pinned up in opponent's dressing room and does a team talk for the opposite gaffer.

I'm not one to quote Saint Joey, but when we played Derby in the play offs, QPR put up Ned and Green for the interviews, precisely because they wouldn't say anything that might rile Derby up. It's pretty straight forward.

Judging a manager by what he says in press conferences and interviews is a waste of time. I don't have any problem with him not giving much away and speaking in platitudes, in fact, it's good, sensible management.

Ferguson would never have gone into games talking guff like you say here.

No, it wouldn't - I'm a fan like all of us. It would be telling a bit of truth and not taking fans for idiots by talking like politicians. Also, if you and one or two other posters had bothered to read what I wrote, you'll see this included 'WE'LL RESPECT ROTHERHAM OF COURSE' at the beginning of my little post. Talking up Derby as strong up front is/was just laughable, and mainly has to do with managing expectations downwards, as I pointed out. Why turn everything to shit in life by making out x=y=z when it comes to football or anything else with no nuance or difference between any of them?

A rather obvious question: If managers just behave like politicians at pre-/post-match interviews, why should I or any other fan bother listening to them? (Perhaps I shouldn't.)

Mind you, I'm from the Roy Keane school of punditry - tell it as it is! Or perhaps if we draw Forest Green in the F A Cup, people would prefer more of 'they're a talented team, great physicality, and we'll have to be at our best to get our hat in the next round - anyone who says otherwise is just a keyboard warrior and not a real supporter etc. etc. etc.'?

QPR impressive - don't you think? on 15:55 - Nov 23 with 685 viewsTacticalR

@stainrods_elbow 'the Roy Keane school of punditry'

I quite enjoy Roy Keane going off on one (maybe it's horrid fascination), but punditry isn't the same as management.

Air hostess clique

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024