Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Manager 15:39 - Nov 22 with 3344 viewsT_Block

Should be congratulated.He and the team did well yesterday.
Knackered forward, your only really strong central defender out against a physical side, your main defensive mid out for the season
As fans we know a couple of loses and the doom -mongers will dominate on forums like this
However most fans I I know think he is doing a very good job under difficult circumstances.
Just a message of support for him really.
Manager on 08:23 - Nov 23 with 885 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Manager on 18:13 - Nov 22 by Gloucs_R

He's out of contract in summer.

Finishing 16th or below would be a poor season in my opinion. We've got a mid table budget now I suspect.

He's doing ok but I can't say I'm a big fan. Very 'meh' at the minute.

I would say that our budget is still bottom six, based on the type of player we're signing. Albert is the highest profile player to sign for us and we got a hometown discount on his wages, by all accounts.

About a month ago I thought Warburton was negative in his public utterances and that he might be under pressure in his own head, but he seems to have pulled out of that and appears more light-hearted again. It's a tough gig managing us at the moment, thanks to FFP and Fernandes' past excesses. I'm happy with Warburton's efforts.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Manager on 08:50 - Nov 23 with 837 viewsgazza1

MW is doing decent job for us......under pretty tough conditions re football management.
I can see us making the top 10 this season if we get a bit of luck and keep our injury list down.

I have, mostly, enjoyed watching the Rangers this season and last season and a massive improvement from previous seasons - yes it has been frustrating, annoying, whatever sometimes but that is Championship football.

I see no point, whatsoever, changing the Manager and restarting again.
Manager on 09:17 - Nov 23 with 816 viewsDieByYourSide

Clearly there's a short-sighted element of the fanbase who will jump on every bad performance to insist that MW goes, but perhaps there are also those who are a bit too quick to accept mediocrity. We came 13th last season, yes we lost our best player but we've also reinvested around £8m this Summer which must be our biggest outlay for quite some years.

Yes, Warbs earned the right to get backing by only spending £50k (plus Hugill and Wells loans) last year but that is a very decent wedge for a club of our size in this division. We need to be looking at top-half this season with a proper play-off push in 21/22 once the likes of Dykes, Dickie and Willock have had a season to bed in and Chair is another 12 months down the line with his development. None of this 'working miracles to stay in the league' mentality, COYRs.

Poll: And it's hi ho

Manager on 09:21 - Nov 23 with 810 viewsGloucs_R

Just to be absolutely clear.... I'm not suggesting we sack him.

I'm saying we need to look at this season and talk about progression and whether he is meeting the KPI's of the current board.

I think he'll be here until the end of the season, unless we really get trouble. If I were the board, I would have a could of alternative options though. Just in case.

Poll: Are we staying up?

Manager on 09:47 - Nov 23 with 783 viewsTheChef

I think he's doing a good job given the squad upheaval and the need for rotation with the games coming more thick and fast this season.

I'd just like him to be more positive with his team selections, we know defending is not our strong point so let's focus on our attacking strengths and get ahead in games. Too often we're starting on the back foot, and only seem to resolve issues with changes in the second half.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Manager on 09:59 - Nov 23 with 768 viewsGloucs_R

In his defence, he has had an awful lot of squad changes to deal with over the past couple of years. Just looking at the out of contract list in the summer it's very few in comparison to other years.

BOS
Cameron
Wallace
Carroll but he has a one-year extension option.

Manager on 11:53 - Nov 23 with 673 viewsswisscottage

I think one of the reason Warburton's been a bit dour this season is his Knee.

Being in constant pain/discomfort in a job where you need to up and mobile is enough to make anyone irritable.

He seemed a lot happier on Saturday and also more of his usual prowling around the technical area, and it maybe he's more comfortable.

IMHO, anyone who doesn't think he's doing a good job is probably in that group that have totally unrealistic expectation of a club who's wage bill is bottom three in the Championship.

If you were to compare against manager since Gerry, with the possible exception of Warnock and possibly Olly, even the most hard headed should realise that Warburton is head and shoulders above the rest, and for that reason alone he should be extended and avoid the crapshoot of another manager merry go round.
Manager on 12:45 - Nov 23 with 621 viewsfrancisbowles

Manager on 11:53 - Nov 23 by swisscottage

I think one of the reason Warburton's been a bit dour this season is his Knee.

Being in constant pain/discomfort in a job where you need to up and mobile is enough to make anyone irritable.

He seemed a lot happier on Saturday and also more of his usual prowling around the technical area, and it maybe he's more comfortable.

IMHO, anyone who doesn't think he's doing a good job is probably in that group that have totally unrealistic expectation of a club who's wage bill is bottom three in the Championship.

If you were to compare against manager since Gerry, with the possible exception of Warnock and possibly Olly, even the most hard headed should realise that Warburton is head and shoulders above the rest, and for that reason alone he should be extended and avoid the crapshoot of another manager merry go round.

We have been trying to rebuild since relegation in 2015. Five years and we have torn up the plan and started more or less from the start, FOUR times. Now at last we have a bit of continuity and a club plan that is beginning to show improvement from the bottom to the top. The top (first team) is a little inconsistent but is showing some quality and flexibility.

Time to give it a chance. It's a long term project. There will be setbacks but we can overcome them.
Login to get fewer ads

Manager on 13:08 - Nov 23 with 600 viewsPinnerPaul

Manager on 22:28 - Nov 22 by Gloucs_R

Pretty sure he only signed a two year deal.

Bazz.... As I said, I'm really not sure. Playing nice football but not progressing in terms of results or league position.

I think the board need to have a clear strategy, whether they want to tell us what that is is another story.

Given we finished 13th last season and we're 4 points from 8th and most importantly we're only 12 games into a 46 game season, isn't it a bit early to say we haven't progressed in terms of league position?
Manager on 13:15 - Nov 23 with 591 viewsNorthernr

We're going to lose to Rotherham tomorrow night aren't we?

The knee point is a good one. He was cranky in the interview we did with him in the summer, but I can't stress just how bad his knee looked that day, enormous and with a fresh scar right down the middle of it. Must have been in great discomfort.

The other thing is, look at the talent that's gone out of the team. He first of all lost Freeman and Luongo, shortly after Smithies had also gone, who were basically our three best players. This time around he's lost Wells, Hugill, Eze and Manning, who it could be argued were our four best players last year.

It can't be all we aspire to forever but as I've said for several seasons, simply standing still on the league table while getting that wage bill down has been an achievement of sorts, because you're losing your best players every summer and only being allowed to replace them with projects.

There's a lot about him that annoys me, and I think with the players we had available to us in attacking areas last season we maybe shoiuld have done better, certainly in the lockdown period. But overall I think he's done a good job in very trying circumstances. I'd be interested to know a realistic alternative who'd have done the same, with the same exits.
Manager on 13:24 - Nov 23 with 576 viewsDejR_vu

I think MW’s done a pretty remarkable job ever since he’s arrived. First year had to build a squad at a lower cost than he inherited. He spent £50k and made us better, playing good football. Constantly has to deal with losing his best players and remain competitive. Not sure he, or anyone else, could have done any better under the circumstances. It’s just a shame we wasted all of those opportunities before he arrived. It would have been interesting to see what he could have done without both hands tied behind his back.

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

Manager on 13:58 - Nov 23 with 531 viewsGloucs_R

Manager on 13:08 - Nov 23 by PinnerPaul

Given we finished 13th last season and we're 4 points from 8th and most importantly we're only 12 games into a 46 game season, isn't it a bit early to say we haven't progressed in terms of league position?

Fair point. Id completely forgotten that we had finished 13th and in my head we were a lot lower than that. I blame lockdown!!!

Manager on 14:04 - Nov 23 with 521 viewsPinnerPaul

Manager on 13:58 - Nov 23 by Gloucs_R

Fair point. Id completely forgotten that we had finished 13th and in my head we were a lot lower than that. I blame lockdown!!!

and to be fair back to you, its this board I blame!

Everyone banging on about how we finish 16th every season, when actually we don't!

Got told off by another poster who said that 16th was just a metaphor for mid table.

I replied OK, lets see if everyone treats 18th, 19th, 20th as '16th' then and lo and behold people have been moaning that we're only 18th!
Manager on 14:04 - Nov 23 with 519 viewsnix

Manager on 13:24 - Nov 23 by DejR_vu

I think MW’s done a pretty remarkable job ever since he’s arrived. First year had to build a squad at a lower cost than he inherited. He spent £50k and made us better, playing good football. Constantly has to deal with losing his best players and remain competitive. Not sure he, or anyone else, could have done any better under the circumstances. It’s just a shame we wasted all of those opportunities before he arrived. It would have been interesting to see what he could have done without both hands tied behind his back.

Absolutely top point about playing better football. Seriously would be so p*ssed off to have a Karanka, Pulis or Hassalbaink as manager.
Manager on 14:06 - Nov 23 with 511 viewsNorthernr

If you take our positions for the last five seasons it averages out at sixteenth, including two seasons ago when we did finish sixteenth, and the dozens of weeks in amongst those seasons when we've sat sixteenth. I know it's a referee's job to be a buit of a stickler but come on.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Manager on 14:10 - Nov 23 with 497 viewsfrancisbowles

Manager on 13:15 - Nov 23 by Northernr

The knee point is a good one. He was cranky in the interview we did with him in the summer, but I can't stress just how bad his knee looked that day, enormous and with a fresh scar right down the middle of it. Must have been in great discomfort.

The other thing is, look at the talent that's gone out of the team. He first of all lost Freeman and Luongo, shortly after Smithies had also gone, who were basically our three best players. This time around he's lost Wells, Hugill, Eze and Manning, who it could be argued were our four best players last year.

It can't be all we aspire to forever but as I've said for several seasons, simply standing still on the league table while getting that wage bill down has been an achievement of sorts, because you're losing your best players every summer and only being allowed to replace them with projects.

There's a lot about him that annoys me, and I think with the players we had available to us in attacking areas last season we maybe shoiuld have done better, certainly in the lockdown period. But overall I think he's done a good job in very trying circumstances. I'd be interested to know a realistic alternative who'd have done the same, with the same exits.

Yes post lockdown was really poor especially the first few games but overall last season the
attack was pretty good scored plenty of goals and Wells, BOS and Eze all improved from the previous season.

'There's a lot about him that annoys me' Do you see an improvement in the things that wind you up about him?
Manager on 14:13 - Nov 23 with 490 viewsNorthernr

Manager on 14:10 - Nov 23 by francisbowles

Yes post lockdown was really poor especially the first few games but overall last season the
attack was pretty good scored plenty of goals and Wells, BOS and Eze all improved from the previous season.

'There's a lot about him that annoys me' Do you see an improvement in the things that wind you up about him?

No. But a lot of it is just irrelevent little bits and pieces like stuff he always says in interviews, and the other stuff is just him and his style which was very, very clear before we hired him and was always going to be the case. Overall, like I say, I think he's done a good job here and I like him.
Manager on 14:31 - Nov 23 with 451 viewsfrancisbowles

Thanks.

I thought he was very stubborn last season and resistant to change. However, I see a slight relaxing of that this year. We mix it up a bit more and don't insist on playing it out from the back every time. The interview thing doesn't annoy me, as I tend to agree with him. He could however, choose his words a little more carefully for some of the sensitive souls. Hopefully, Sir Les has had a word in his ear about that.

Agree though, I like him.
Manager on 14:37 - Nov 23 with 438 viewsAntti_Heinola

Manager on 14:31 - Nov 23 by francisbowles

Thanks.

I thought he was very stubborn last season and resistant to change. However, I see a slight relaxing of that this year. We mix it up a bit more and don't insist on playing it out from the back every time. The interview thing doesn't annoy me, as I tend to agree with him. He could however, choose his words a little more carefully for some of the sensitive souls. Hopefully, Sir Les has had a word in his ear about that.

Agree though, I like him.

I honestly think he's the least stubborn manager we've had in decades!
Not afrraid to drop his keeper. Has no discernible favourites - signed two from Scotland we all expected to be regulars, but neither have been. We've played a multitude of formations. If a player plays well he tends to keep his place. The stories about subs coming too late are not true - at least not as a consistent fault (but as fans, we always see change as a positive and I know if we're not winning I'm craning my neck from the SA stand to see if a sub's coming on!). I see he gets people's backs up, sometimes, but the players seem to like him and want to play for him and listen to him, and by and large we play decent football.
But then, I have no desire for us to be in the Prem! A promotion campaign without the promotion is good for me. Hate that league, and as much as we bemoan this one, i think it's fun.

Bare bones.

Manager on 14:41 - Nov 23 with 431 viewsderbyhoop

Isn't he just following the brief - keep us in the Championship while cutting the wage bill?

Part of the buy young (and cheap), develop, sell on, re-invest. If you look at that point and examine the squad (where most are 25 or under) then it is going OK. Once in a decade you get a player like Eze. Taarabt, Ferdinand, Bowles, Marsh beforehand but generally, if you get back double what you paid and get more transfers in correct, then we are going to improve - albeit slowly.

IF this side, or the bulk of it, can be kept together, with a few key replacements then the future looks bright.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Manager on 14:53 - Nov 23 with 417 viewsMalintabuk

Manager on 22:37 - Nov 22 by Antti_Heinola

Always makes me laugh, this 'easy ride' stuff.
Like we should all be beating down the club's door at every defeat (well, some do, metaphorically).
I think he probably wants to play Chair at 10 when all are fully fit - last season he always played him there or s second striker, but he's trying to work out how to compensate for the loss of Eze.
It's pointless complaining about team selection for any team this season. We're about to play 12 games in 6 weeks or something - everyone is going to get starts here and there. I bet people went mental about the selection yesterday.
Worked though.
Chair's played 3 or 4 very decent games in a row now. I'm gld you now just feel sorry for him.

You honestly think that Chair as had 3 or 4 decent games wide left.... you must be watching a different game to me
For 60 mins apart from 2 or 3 occasions when Chair came inside he was pretty anonymous.... then he moves centre and is a different animal
So for a club who is supposed to be a developing club.... we are not exactly developing Chair are we.... by playing him in a position where he is having little impact
Also how can you use the excuse of having to play him wide due to fixtures.... when we have at least 3 players that can do that.... why have poor Chair do it
And yes compared to Holloway and others Warburton is having it easier

Manager on 15:14 - Nov 23 with 399 viewsTheChef

Manager on 14:53 - Nov 23 by Malintabuk

You honestly think that Chair as had 3 or 4 decent games wide left.... you must be watching a different game to me
For 60 mins apart from 2 or 3 occasions when Chair came inside he was pretty anonymous.... then he moves centre and is a different animal
So for a club who is supposed to be a developing club.... we are not exactly developing Chair are we.... by playing him in a position where he is having little impact
Also how can you use the excuse of having to play him wide due to fixtures.... when we have at least 3 players that can do that.... why have poor Chair do it
And yes compared to Holloway and others Warburton is having it easier

He's having it easier how?

I don't think fans' expectations have changed that much since Holloway - except for the unrealistic ones who think we should be a Premier League side.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Manager on 15:25 - Nov 23 with 384 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Chair is our joint top goalscorer and assist maker from out wide in a team that doesn’t score very much right now. I agree he’s better in the middle but it’s hardly been a tactical disaster, and hardly something major to beat Warburton with.

Willock looks like he can play LW eventually but there could be any other number of reasons he isn’t playing right now. The mains one probably fitness, and the fact he has played less than 25 Championship games.
[Post edited 23 Nov 2020 15:31]
Manager on 15:48 - Nov 23 with 351 viewsNortholt_Rs

Manager on 13:15 - Nov 23 by Northernr

Great post....all spot on for me.

Scooters, Tunes, Trainers and QPR.

Manager on 15:52 - Nov 23 with 344 viewsT_Block

Yes agree chair should play middle

And agree the team blew it in the shutdown in March could have finished much higher.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024