Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Manager, the DoF and the Board 10:34 - Feb 17 with 7916 viewsAntti_Heinola

I see the socials (which I've now almost abandoned - someone texted me some screengrabs) are spamming QPR posts calling for the manager, the DoF and the Board to go.

Interested to get opinions on all three here.

Manager: I think Critchley, if given the job at the start of last summer, with no pressure, able to bring in his own players etc, probably would have been fine. But mid-season at a club with higher expectations than Blackpool, is a different proposition. He seems unable to change direction and as the weeks go by his tactics look more confused, the players look more confused and are clearly either terrified or can't be bothered or both. When we looked at Cifuentes, Clive said the release clause precluded us from taking him. Well, if he was first choice (I don't think he was) but they went for second choice then it's turned out to be a false economy.

I don't buy into Dave Mc's theory that a QPR manager needs to be a big personality. - but I do think as a manager generally you need an infectious personality. As a coach, there probably isn't much between Critch and Beale, but Beale, putting aside personal feelings, has that ability to lead and inspire. I have no confidence now that Critchley has that and I think he has max three games to save his job (we'll lose tomorrow and v Blackburn, and if he hasn't gone then, I can't see how he clings on if we lose at Rotherham).

DoF: IMO, the direction Les has taken us in and the plans and ideas he has had are all correct. 12 months ago, when we smashed Reading, it looked like it was all paying off, and people wanted to give Warbs a job for life. A young exciting team then imploded and we only recovered briefly under Beale. However. After backing Les throughout the whole time he's been at the club, my feeling is it's time for a change and some fresh ideas and impetus. The pressure on him is building and it would probably be better for all parties if we moved on and built on what he's done, because we now look stagnant.

THE BOARD: This is the one I find hardest to credit. As a fanbase, we need to move on from the mistakes made in their first three years. That's gone. Since then, TF seemingly made some poor appointments (JFH, McClaren). But Warbs brought us stability and some exciting football, and I think regardless of what happened, Beale was a really exciting and forward-thinking appointment that unfortunately blew up in their and our faces. I'm not totally sure what the fans calling for Amit to go want (they also don't know anything about who controls things at the club, clearly). A new owner can't put more money in for funds. A new owner can't magic a new stadium. These owners are building a new training ground. They're pouring money in every month and if they could they'd have given Critchley £5m in January to pep up the squad. Other than some bad managerial appointments, I don't have any major recent issues with them at all.

Bare bones.

The Manager, the DoF and the Board on 10:46 - Feb 17 with 5505 viewsMonkey_Roots

I know you wanted opinions, but I actually agree with your assessments of all 3.
The Manager, the DoF and the Board on 10:56 - Feb 17 with 5442 viewsfrancisbowles

Yes , I'd agree with virtually all of that Antti. The only comment I would make is that it's mostly a lack of confidence and resilience from the players, rather than not trying or caring. The caveat to that would be, the loan players are probably guilty of giving up more easily and bordering on not caring at times.

If Critchley does go, I have absolutely no idea who his successor could be. Who can we possibly afford, who would be prepared to come here and In the words of Ian Hunter 'All of the good ones are taken'.
The Manager, the DoF and the Board on 11:02 - Feb 17 with 5392 viewsdaveB

boring answer but yeah agree with all 3, I think these protests and spamming of the club calling for the owners to go is not going to end well for us, we could easily go out of business here
The Manager, the DoF and the Board on 11:08 - Feb 17 with 5341 viewsBlackAndGoldRanger

Spot on for all 3.

I can't see another owner wanting to pump £1.8m a month in just to keep running the place.

But on the footballing side something needs to change. No more "what the manager wants, the manager gets" signings. We keep talking about development and it just hasn't happened. Ultimately that lies with Les. I have also always backed him but it has gone too far now.

Feel bad for Critchley in these circumstances but I don't see how he can inspire anyone to be honest. Not asking for a scream in your face manager but someone with a bit more about him.

Need to stay up this season and it will again be another huge overhaul in the summer.

Next season could be very worrying/interesting/who knows!?
The Manager, the DoF and the Board on 11:19 - Feb 17 with 5272 viewsRangersw12

I would be looking to replace Hoos & Ferdinand in the summer.

Ferdinand has done a decent job but the same mistakes keep being made ( manager wants manager gets) and we need a change. I would put all our eggs in a full DOF/Recruitment team basket and go from there.

Hoos handling of things like the Stan Bowles stand, Rail seating and his attitude to supporters is wearing thin now. He has made no effort to try and increase the fanbase and his recent interviews suggest he's run out of steam. The handling of the council with stadium again has also been badly handled

As for the manager I just can't see how he can turn this around now and seems a dead man walking

I think he will be gone if we lose heavily at Boro.

We also need to look at the role Ramsay has at the club and is it needed. Seems a lot of cooks behind the scenes making decent money without any accountability or results
[Post edited 17 Feb 2023 11:22]
The Manager, the DoF and the Board on 11:25 - Feb 17 with 5239 viewsjoe90

Good assessment.

I don't believe it's about abandoning the 'master plan', we need to refine it. Get the people in who could do it properly. It's not our strategy that's the issue, it's the execution.

We are moving in the right direction with the training ground and this is no doubt part of the strategy.

You're spot on about the board which is the crux of the issue which people seem to be completely ignoring, especially with regards to this protest/meeting thing.
The Manager, the DoF and the Board on 11:26 - Feb 17 with 5232 viewsPhildo

I agree with the OP

If I was an owner and still committed to the club at this point I would be talking to other people in the industry to try and get advice about what to do next though - I would have lost faith in the team in place- especially if I was getting grief like this for hammering money into it.
The Manager, the DoF and the Board on 11:27 - Feb 17 with 5215 viewsAntti_Heinola

The Manager, the DoF and the Board on 11:19 - Feb 17 by Rangersw12

I would be looking to replace Hoos & Ferdinand in the summer.

Ferdinand has done a decent job but the same mistakes keep being made ( manager wants manager gets) and we need a change. I would put all our eggs in a full DOF/Recruitment team basket and go from there.

Hoos handling of things like the Stan Bowles stand, Rail seating and his attitude to supporters is wearing thin now. He has made no effort to try and increase the fanbase and his recent interviews suggest he's run out of steam. The handling of the council with stadium again has also been badly handled

As for the manager I just can't see how he can turn this around now and seems a dead man walking

I think he will be gone if we lose heavily at Boro.

We also need to look at the role Ramsay has at the club and is it needed. Seems a lot of cooks behind the scenes making decent money without any accountability or results
[Post edited 17 Feb 2023 11:22]

I don't really have any problems with Hoos. I think it's a tough job and I'd add: no QPR CEO has ever been popular. Even Mark Devlin, seen as a good CEO by many and a QPR fan too, came under fierce criticism. It is a devil of a job. We ain't gona get anyone the fanbase likes I'm afraid!

Bare bones.

Login to get fewer ads

The Manager, the DoF and the Board on 11:28 - Feb 17 with 5204 viewsBlue_Castello

The Board I posted my thoughts on Page 4 of the LSA thread and I'm not going to retype all the paragraphs but the bottom line for me is they are not incompetent, they made mistakes and are still paying for them, they have put a DOF and a CEO in charge to replace the clueless Phil Beard, for more context you need to read my post, one things for sure we are screwed without them and nobody is coming riding over the hill with the cavalry in this movie, unfortuntately it's just far too unattractive a financial proposition.

DOF - Have backed Les for years for all sorts of reasons but like you sadly think it's time for a change, a fresh pair of eyes on particularly the transfer dealings would be good, top level football now is not a job for life and we have to try something different, unfortunately this is not going to help this season the players that we have need to fight for the shirt etc but that's a faint hope.

Manager - Agree with your assessment that Beale appeared 100% the right choice and we helped him build a squad for his style of play, the rest is history who could possibly know he wouldn't give us 1 year in the job. Critchley appeared to be a good appointment, a good track record at Blackpool building his own squad and bags of coaching experience, so it's not working out but at least 4 maybe 5 of the players who were important at the start of the season were missing on Tuesday night, crucially Chris Willocks fitness and form has dropped off a cliff and he was dragging us through matches. I also think that if Critchley had got the job in the Summer we would have a different looking squad, very likely less loanees who in some instances have to play and we would be looking a lot stronger, do we pull the trigger that's a massive gamble when theres 14 games left to play and possibly three wins needed for survival.
[Post edited 17 Feb 2023 11:35]
The Manager, the DoF and the Board on 11:32 - Feb 17 with 5184 viewsrobith

I haven't felt I have a right to talk about it - I've been struggling going to matches without my dad and the last game I went to was Wigan in October. So having not sat through a lot of the shit we've served up lately I haven't felt I can really say this. So if anyone wants to tell me I'm totally wrong, I'll listen and accept that.

Personally everything at the club feels like there's a lot of nuance in it. Critchley has walked in to an absolute viper's nest so has my sympathies, but also hasn't done an especially good job. Les has done some good things, and he's got some things wrong. I think the club's strategy for sustainability and success is broadly the right way, but has made some mistakes in execution. We have owners who have got an awful lot wrong but have also worn those mistakes and are underwriting our existence at the moment.

So when I open twitter...I feel like I've stepped into a parallel dimension. It's like people are cosplaying as "modern football fans" or acting like Everton fans, when I don't feel that's justified. I see people spewing vitriol at Les like "Get this toxic man out of my club" and I'm left baffled? We probably should review his position, but what is sacking him in Feb going to achieve? SACK THE BOARD - why, are you gonna pick up that £2m a month shortfall then?

The season has gone badly no doubts. Critchley's position is rightly under pressure - but then I see people going "why did Les give him a 3 year contract? it should be a monthly rolling on" yeah good luck getting a coach with that approach lads. I also feel as you say Antti it's probably worth a look at Les' position - the ship has been relatively steadied, but what's the next step? But the very extreme nature of everyone's reactions, particularly on social media (not here, I'd add, I feel most people's opinions have been fair and reasoned even if they differ in severity to mine) leaves me baffled and not in a huge hurry to rush back to games
The Manager, the DoF and the Board on 11:43 - Feb 17 with 5109 viewsMonkey_Roots

The Manager, the DoF and the Board on 11:32 - Feb 17 by robith

I haven't felt I have a right to talk about it - I've been struggling going to matches without my dad and the last game I went to was Wigan in October. So having not sat through a lot of the shit we've served up lately I haven't felt I can really say this. So if anyone wants to tell me I'm totally wrong, I'll listen and accept that.

Personally everything at the club feels like there's a lot of nuance in it. Critchley has walked in to an absolute viper's nest so has my sympathies, but also hasn't done an especially good job. Les has done some good things, and he's got some things wrong. I think the club's strategy for sustainability and success is broadly the right way, but has made some mistakes in execution. We have owners who have got an awful lot wrong but have also worn those mistakes and are underwriting our existence at the moment.

So when I open twitter...I feel like I've stepped into a parallel dimension. It's like people are cosplaying as "modern football fans" or acting like Everton fans, when I don't feel that's justified. I see people spewing vitriol at Les like "Get this toxic man out of my club" and I'm left baffled? We probably should review his position, but what is sacking him in Feb going to achieve? SACK THE BOARD - why, are you gonna pick up that £2m a month shortfall then?

The season has gone badly no doubts. Critchley's position is rightly under pressure - but then I see people going "why did Les give him a 3 year contract? it should be a monthly rolling on" yeah good luck getting a coach with that approach lads. I also feel as you say Antti it's probably worth a look at Les' position - the ship has been relatively steadied, but what's the next step? But the very extreme nature of everyone's reactions, particularly on social media (not here, I'd add, I feel most people's opinions have been fair and reasoned even if they differ in severity to mine) leaves me baffled and not in a huge hurry to rush back to games

I only recently opened up Twitter looking for QPR news, transfers etc. I started to try and rebuff a few of the nonsense thoughts flying around, but its a pointless task.

Twitter actually makes me feel a bid sad about people in general, there are some scary and unhelpful thoughts on there.
The Manager, the DoF and the Board on 11:44 - Feb 17 with 5095 viewsrobith

The Manager, the DoF and the Board on 11:43 - Feb 17 by Monkey_Roots

I only recently opened up Twitter looking for QPR news, transfers etc. I started to try and rebuff a few of the nonsense thoughts flying around, but its a pointless task.

Twitter actually makes me feel a bid sad about people in general, there are some scary and unhelpful thoughts on there.

I mostly use lists on twitter which keep things normal, but the site has gone to the dogs since Musk took over and I get all kinds of weird stuff in my feed now
The Manager, the DoF and the Board on 12:13 - Feb 17 with 4971 viewsessextaxiboy

The Manager, the DoF and the Board on 11:44 - Feb 17 by robith

I mostly use lists on twitter which keep things normal, but the site has gone to the dogs since Musk took over and I get all kinds of weird stuff in my feed now

Never followed Rangers on Facebook and Twitter . I prefer to talk with posters here who I know are genuine . One group missed out are the players , the attitude of the loanees has been a disgrace I hope it’s being noticed and taken into account by others when they leave us . Whoever authorised the contracts of Ozzy Nico and Bonne have cost us millions while we can’t afford a back up striker . The youth coaching team are not producing , Critchley has been handed a crock of shite , I am not sure a shouty manager will work with this group , likewise an ex player who they have never heard of . Some one like Wilder will want a long contract another gamble .. I would stick with Critchley personally , but he is under pressure and I don’t expect him to survive it ..
The Manager, the DoF and the Board on 12:15 - Feb 17 with 4953 viewsessextaxiboy

The Manager, the DoF and the Board on 11:43 - Feb 17 by Monkey_Roots

Don’t go on there or Facebook they rot your brain and your time away .
The Manager, the DoF and the Board on 12:34 - Feb 17 with 4866 viewsHooping_Mad

I don't doubt that Hoos steadied the ship when the finances were at their worst under Tony. However.... we are still losing nearly 2m a month.

How long can we afford to continue at that rate, isn't it his job to continue to reduce that. Certainly not suggesting any know it all position, but surely the losses are what drives us closer to the FFP limit leaving our hands tied in getting out of the mess. It (the stratagy) 'feels' like a gambler chasing his loses using a spread betting formula that will come good any minute now.

All I know is the club shop never has any stock of anything I want to buy, and recast isn't the messiah. I look at those thing and I think what else goes on that we aren't privy too.

The recent interview didn't help his case. Appearing in the state he did on the podcast wasn't a sensible idea to be frank. There is a touch of arrogance about him that he probably doesn't deserve.

Still would have him any day than that charlatan Phil Beard
[Post edited 17 Feb 2023 12:36]

Chairman of the Junior Hoilett appreciation society

The Manager, the DoF and the Board on 12:40 - Feb 17 with 4828 viewsRs_Holy

The Manager, the DoF and the Board on 11:02 - Feb 17 by daveB

boring answer but yeah agree with all 3, I think these protests and spamming of the club calling for the owners to go is not going to end well for us, we could easily go out of business here

focus should be on the players who think they are too good for QPR... I think someone's idea (cant remember who) of chucking towels onto the pitch is a perfect protest. Aimed at those players who have pretty much thrown the towel in... they are letting the manager, owners and fans down big time!
The Manager, the DoF and the Board on 13:00 - Feb 17 with 4713 viewsbongo_king

Good thread and agree with lots on here. I always say we should be careful what we wish for... but with that in mind, my tuppence:

Manager: bang on for me OP. Only thing I'd add is that a great coach with all the UEFA badges may well not make a great manager/head coach if they are missing at least some motivational skills/charisma. Personally I think probably its too late for NC, though god knows where we go from here.

Board: for me is actually the easiest. There are plenty of car crashes out there. Mel Morris, Karl Oysten, Allams, the Birmingham circus anyone (just to name a few). Admittedly our board are not without fault but wouldn't role the dice.

DoF: toughest for me. Some good work has been done and the intentions are right (cost cutting, player development), but there is naivety in execution. As I posted on another thread, its like we are playing draughts when the game is chess. I'd say this is how we have a team loaded of PBBC players who don't meet the development brief. Why Bristol C sold Semenyo for 10m and we had, until a few months back a much better player in Willock but no offers. Why we handed out 4 year contracts to players with little hope (and why NC has a 3.5 year contract, a complete u turn from Warbs 1 year rolling). Why no academy players are reaching our first team. LF, LH and the board all have responsibility for this poor execution IMO but sadly I think the buck stops with LF. It's all coming to a head now with a bad luck situation of all the chickens coming home to roost at once. But it feels like change of some sort is really needed with the DoF situation. (edit: part of me wonders if Warbs began to realise some of the many above problems last year and if that / questioning it contributed to his downfall).
[Post edited 17 Feb 2023 13:04]
The Manager, the DoF and the Board on 13:12 - Feb 17 with 4638 viewswhittocksRs

Interesting post.

Absolutely 100% agree on the owners. They keep us alive and invest as much as FFP allows them to. A new training ground is a huge deal, so we certainly don't need new ownership.

Les is doing what he can, but his record is very spotty. I can see both sides to the staying and going argument. One thing is clear: he has Rangers' best interests at heart and wants to make a success of it. Whether he can within the current set-up is about as clear as it was five years ago.

As for the manager, my sense is if we stay up and he gets even some backing, we'll be a better proposition next year. I don't love him and still think he's way too PE teacher to really be a success at QPR but I can see him eventually getting his ideas through. However, he won't work with the current set of players so I would pull the trigger now, before the death spiral is too fast and we can't stop it. Relegation would a fcking disaster financially. We need someone with more obvious motivational skills because we have a team of footballers who have downed tools and we don't have much time to sort it. I'm not usually one to think blood and thunder works but we need someone with a bit of fury to scare these boys straight.
The Manager, the DoF and the Board on 13:29 - Feb 17 with 4562 viewsJuzzie

Football clubs need to take a massive step back from social media..
I’m not saying the club is perfect, it’s not, but the “he has to go” brigade are destroying things.
Don’t give them the platform. I’m sure there are other ways to engage in a more appropriate manner.
The Manager, the DoF and the Board on 13:43 - Feb 17 with 4493 viewsdavman

Spot on Antti.

The only thing I'd add is a long hard look at the Academy. Surely it is not paying its way and in view of the fact we can't hold on to 14, 15, 16 year old prospects because of the rules, that won't change anytime soon. We are paying an awful lot of coaches who contribute nothing to the first team...

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

The Manager, the DoF and the Board on 13:49 - Feb 17 with 4457 viewsAntti_Heinola

Excellent post.
I hope people at the club realise not all fans are like the worst cases on social media.

Bare bones.

The Manager, the DoF and the Board on 13:51 - Feb 17 with 4441 viewsToast_R

Hard to argue.

On point 2, Les and Lee Hoos should be given credit for ridding the overspent mess they inherited and brining the wage bill under control while.keeping the club in the Championship. However, the tricky part of buying low and selling high in the transfer market appears to be where they are coming up short. We simply cannot afford to be buying players who aren't good enough and then paying them off to get rid of them. Likewise we can't afford to be buying players who are good enough, only to see them run their contracts down so they leave for a small percentage of their real worth.
The Manager, the DoF and the Board on 13:54 - Feb 17 with 4420 viewsAntti_Heinola

The Manager, the DoF and the Board on 12:13 - Feb 17 by essextaxiboy

Never followed Rangers on Facebook and Twitter . I prefer to talk with posters here who I know are genuine . One group missed out are the players , the attitude of the loanees has been a disgrace I hope it’s being noticed and taken into account by others when they leave us . Whoever authorised the contracts of Ozzy Nico and Bonne have cost us millions while we can’t afford a back up striker . The youth coaching team are not producing , Critchley has been handed a crock of shite , I am not sure a shouty manager will work with this group , likewise an ex player who they have never heard of . Some one like Wilder will want a long contract another gamble .. I would stick with Critchley personally , but he is under pressure and I don’t expect him to survive it ..

Agree with much of that, but not your 3 examples. Ozzy won't be on much money and is an adequate back up right back for where we are now. Bonne was worth a punt. Got double figures in this league in a poor side. There are much worse players than Ozzy in this league, even if, yes, his level is league 2 or 1.
Nico, agree, was a knee-jerk panic contract when we were losing Bright and Manning. No idea what happened there, equally, yes it's all money, I doubt he's on a huge amount.

Bare bones.

The Manager, the DoF and the Board on 13:57 - Feb 17 with 4400 viewsPinnerPaul

So sorry to hear about your personal issues.

Re the last line, the support during the 90' has been good the last two home games, which is some feat!

Nowhere near like the reaction you describe on Social Media (I don't go on it myself) and at the ground its even more positive (during the game) than on here, which as AH says, although containing differing opinions is mostly reasonable.
The Manager, the DoF and the Board on 14:25 - Feb 17 with 4310 viewsrobith

The Manager, the DoF and the Board on 12:13 - Feb 17 by essextaxiboy

I would question heavily the notion that Niko, Ozzy and Bonne's contracts came to a million total imo and taken a look at some estimates of their salaries.

I would say biggest wage killers would be things like letting Warbz re-sign Lee Wallace on big wages and again leaving us without a solution at left back, signing Austin when he didn't fit the style of play clearly to get the fans onside, letting Warbs have his way on Gray. Those are far bigger and more damaging cases to answer than squad players on low wages
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024