Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is everyone here mentally prepared for relegation ? 21:30 - Jul 19 with 20571 viewsLogman

I seriously cannot take another season of weekly/daily rants about the plight of the club and how we should be emulating Brentford/Luton/Bournemouth etc etc etc

We are not and not only is life too short to be spending every day looking over a shoulder at Luton/Brentford/Bournemouth etc etc but there is also f**k all that we can do about it as our investment in the club (both in terms of the depths of our pockets and colour of our blood, i.e. blue and white) is insignificant in the grand scale of things.

So are we going to be realistic on here and accept our fate or is it going to be another season of angst ?

Just asking so I can manage my expectations.

Cheers
[Post edited 19 Jul 2023 22:21]
Is everyone here mentally prepared for relegation ? on 17:54 - Jul 24 with 3344 viewsSakura

Agree with Nix. No one I have seen is saying they are certain we will be fine.

But, its on my part been an objection to a stance so overly negative thats it has literally been a detriment to the club. I know two people who haven't renewed this season. Not for financial reasons but because they haven't got hope for the season. Proper fans coming since they were 6 or 7 but unbelievably not renewed

It's post like the OP here that have contributed to that happening and what annoys me it's not justified. We are going to need this stadium as busy as possible. Giving stick to the opposition. To the ref but people won't be there now because they have given up hope. Some of the negative posters on here will be there. But I am saying it's a fact that others won't be because the pessimism has infected the fan base

I can't understand who has left that we are really going to miss. Begovic has replaced Dieng. Ziyad an upgrade on back up left back. If Fox comes in for Dickie that's no drama. Smyth instead of Roberts or Lowe. They didn't give a sh*t and definitely broke the no dickheads rule in the dressing room

Laird seems to be the only role not going to be replaced with someone as good. But he faked injuries so that miss isn't as great as it might seem

Some a sneering at the emphasis on team building but we had a talented team here last year. Many of us fancied us doing well and that failed largely because of that lack of team spirit and caring about the club. Fixing that (if we do) is going to be valuable.

Set pieces being fixed could see around 10 goals less conceded next year and maybe 5 added. A 15 goal swing from doing the basics right. This team isn't one to give up on

We've done well getting the players out the door we have and quickly. Not releasing them all on 31st August. Club deserves praise for that

Wing couldn't get a 3 year deal here. Club have learned from Johansen mistake there.

Incomings have been slower than we all would like but we are slowly putting a solid squad together with a long time left in the window. We now have no pressure to sell anyone now on the cheap.

Seen comments about if Chair leaves it's bad but ridiculously no one seems to then acknowledge if Chair leaves we also we would have better part of £10m to spend on improving the squad. And if he stays we have one of the leagues best players

There is loads of reasons to not give up hope. There are loads of reasons to not try and depress other fans and still encourage them to turn up

The window isn't over. There's a solid first 11 at the club already. By the time we need to worry about squad depth we will have that depth

No chance of me writing the season off before it starts!!
[Post edited 24 Jul 2023 17:55]
Is everyone here mentally prepared for relegation ? on 21:52 - Jul 24 with 3135 viewsAndybrat

Is everyone here mentally prepared for relegation ? on 17:54 - Jul 24 by Sakura

But, its on my part been an objection to a stance so overly negative thats it has literally been a detriment to the club. I know two people who haven't renewed this season. Not for financial reasons but because they haven't got hope for the season. Proper fans coming since they were 6 or 7 but unbelievably not renewed

It's post like the OP here that have contributed to that happening and what annoys me it's not justified. We are going to need this stadium as busy as possible. Giving stick to the opposition. To the ref but people won't be there now because they have given up hope. Some of the negative posters on here will be there. But I am saying it's a fact that others won't be because the pessimism has infected the fan base

I can't understand who has left that we are really going to miss. Begovic has replaced Dieng. Ziyad an upgrade on back up left back. If Fox comes in for Dickie that's no drama. Smyth instead of Roberts or Lowe. They didn't give a sh*t and definitely broke the no dickheads rule in the dressing room

Laird seems to be the only role not going to be replaced with someone as good. But he faked injuries so that miss isn't as great as it might seem

Some a sneering at the emphasis on team building but we had a talented team here last year. Many of us fancied us doing well and that failed largely because of that lack of team spirit and caring about the club. Fixing that (if we do) is going to be valuable.

Set pieces being fixed could see around 10 goals less conceded next year and maybe 5 added. A 15 goal swing from doing the basics right. This team isn't one to give up on

We've done well getting the players out the door we have and quickly. Not releasing them all on 31st August. Club deserves praise for that

Wing couldn't get a 3 year deal here. Club have learned from Johansen mistake there.

Incomings have been slower than we all would like but we are slowly putting a solid squad together with a long time left in the window. We now have no pressure to sell anyone now on the cheap.

Seen comments about if Chair leaves it's bad but ridiculously no one seems to then acknowledge if Chair leaves we also we would have better part of £10m to spend on improving the squad. And if he stays we have one of the leagues best players

There is loads of reasons to not give up hope. There are loads of reasons to not try and depress other fans and still encourage them to turn up

The window isn't over. There's a solid first 11 at the club already. By the time we need to worry about squad depth we will have that depth

Don’t know you ( Sakura?) but basically you are so spot on, add Dykes signing an extension, which almost feels like a new signing, Taylor Richards also a new signing as he was a ghost last year. Still feel we will be the surprise package this season. Defence now significantly strengthened, suspect Fox not as talented as Dickie in some ways but just what we need in others ( sounds like a leader)
Is everyone here mentally prepared for relegation ? on 01:02 - Jul 25 with 3050 viewsPunteR

Season hasn't started yet.
How our fans feel or negative or positive opinions on message boards or a handful of fans not renewing their season ticket has absolutely no bearing on how the team performs. As much as we'd like it too, it doesn't. On the day ,at the match yes we can make a difference and as far as I can tell the fans have supported this club through thick and thin last season and I think I read the support has been good pre season.
Your finger pointing post is just as detrimental to online perceptions of QPR.
Yeh we have to dig deep this season by the looks of it but I don't blame fans for stepping back a bit and seeing how this pans out.
It's been a tough watch for a good couple of years now with so much potential and promises from certain people within the club. I don't blame anyone feeling let down or despondent. I think most fans will just carry on supporting the club best way they can and that's fair enough in my opinion.
[Post edited 25 Jul 2023 6:51]

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Is everyone here mentally prepared for relegation ? on 01:47 - Jul 25 with 3028 viewsDannyPaddox

Okay I’m mentally prepared. Can we just get on with it.
Is everyone here mentally prepared for relegation ? on 07:53 - Jul 25 with 2942 viewsnix

Is everyone here mentally prepared for relegation ? on 01:02 - Jul 25 by PunteR

Season hasn't started yet.
How our fans feel or negative or positive opinions on message boards or a handful of fans not renewing their season ticket has absolutely no bearing on how the team performs. As much as we'd like it too, it doesn't. On the day ,at the match yes we can make a difference and as far as I can tell the fans have supported this club through thick and thin last season and I think I read the support has been good pre season.
Your finger pointing post is just as detrimental to online perceptions of QPR.
Yeh we have to dig deep this season by the looks of it but I don't blame fans for stepping back a bit and seeing how this pans out.
It's been a tough watch for a good couple of years now with so much potential and promises from certain people within the club. I don't blame anyone feeling let down or despondent. I think most fans will just carry on supporting the club best way they can and that's fair enough in my opinion.
[Post edited 25 Jul 2023 6:51]

I'm not sure if what you say is true. If you keep reading negative stuff then it makes you feel negative. This has been scientifically proven. We have no idea whether the team or the coaching staff reads what's been put on Twitter or on MBs.
https://www.therapyden.com/blog/the-impact-of-negative-words

Also, if the fans keep reading this stuff then it affects how they are at matches. I know it impacts me and I'm not alone. I'm not sure whether you went to the AFC WImbledon game but it was the flattest away/pre-season atmosphere I have ever been to. Okay, I haven't been to loads of these games but honestly I've been to U23 matches with more atmosphere and they've had one man and his dog there.

And saying that making a point about other people's negativity has the same impact as being negative in the first place is tenuous at best and sounds like projection.

I accept that we're in a difficult place at the moment. Not arguing with that. But to keep repeating it and focusing on it without any balance does not have a neutral impact, it just doesn't. It doesn't mean you haven't got the right to say it, but it does have an affect, and the more it happens, the bigger the impact.
Is everyone here mentally prepared for relegation ? on 08:45 - Jul 25 with 2855 viewsStanFan

Interesting stuff on this thread. Most people would say that the risk of relegation is uncomfortably high for all the reasons that have been mentioned. Many might even be predicting it. But surely no-one can be certain of it. I for one don't know enough about what shape clubs like Rotherham and Plymouth are in. I also don't yet know what our final squad will be or how GA will get them to perform.

So, for now, it is a case of hope for the best but fear the worst.
Is everyone here mentally prepared for relegation ? on 09:12 - Jul 25 with 2790 viewsWegerles_Stairs

Is everyone here mentally prepared for relegation ? on 07:53 - Jul 25 by nix

I'm not sure if what you say is true. If you keep reading negative stuff then it makes you feel negative. This has been scientifically proven. We have no idea whether the team or the coaching staff reads what's been put on Twitter or on MBs.

Also, if the fans keep reading this stuff then it affects how they are at matches. I know it impacts me and I'm not alone. I'm not sure whether you went to the AFC WImbledon game but it was the flattest away/pre-season atmosphere I have ever been to. Okay, I haven't been to loads of these games but honestly I've been to U23 matches with more atmosphere and they've had one man and his dog there.

And saying that making a point about other people's negativity has the same impact as being negative in the first place is tenuous at best and sounds like projection.

I accept that we're in a difficult place at the moment. Not arguing with that. But to keep repeating it and focusing on it without any balance does not have a neutral impact, it just doesn't. It doesn't mean you haven't got the right to say it, but it does have an affect, and the more it happens, the bigger the impact.

Surely plenty of people are being negative based on the empirical evidence of actually going to matches though, rather than reading about it on a forum. I went to every one of our home games last season and you can see how negative I am (counter: I am currently thinking of puppies bounding in the park to avoid being negative on a football forum).

Part of the reason for the atmosphere on Saturday was the weather (freezing and wet in July); the curious design of their stand, whereby the roof doesn't actually protect you from rain; and the bleakness of that edifice at the other end, which made it feel like Lodz in 1973.
Is everyone here mentally prepared for relegation ? on 09:31 - Jul 25 with 2791 viewsTheChef

Is everyone here mentally prepared for relegation ? on 13:05 - Jul 20 by nix

I put them on ignore not because I disagree with them. There's plenty of others I disagree with but aren't on mute. It's the constant doomsayers and negative nellies that I have on mute and the ones that are constantly slagging off the club whatever they do.

I don't want to read them because I work really hard to be positive in my life, and because for some mad reason following my football team is important to me, so therefore constantly seeing the bad in everything lowers my mood.

I follow Clive not for his optimism but because he talks sense. He may not be cheeriness personified but he doesn't do doom for the sake of it. In other words, there's some balance. Others seem to revel in predicting the worst. I find it weird.

I don't care if people have me on mute. I'm sure I'm not everyone's cup of tea.

Agreed on all that.

Enough of all this negativity BS - let's get to the start of the season and see how we go, eh?

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Login to get fewer ads

Is everyone here mentally prepared for relegation ? on 10:06 - Jul 25 with 2753 viewsloftus77

Interesting debate on here - and I can see both sides.

I was going to weigh in lazily with an ever-so-smart answer to the OP: 'Yes- Fully - Next', but I do agree that as Rangers fans we've got to believe and promote something more than that, haven't we? Or else what is the point?

The Fox signing (solid, pragmatic) and the club and LFW's coverage of a fairly steady, sensible pre-season thus far has genuinely given me a bit of a lift. I'm now thinking, as others have mentioned, about whether a (wildly) optimistic comparison can be made with the 1999-2000 'surprise' season which also followed a major flirt with second tier relegation.

I can see Lyndon as our 'Rob Steiner' and maybe a combination of Chair/Willock in the Langley/ Gavin Peacock role. Throw in a few sensible workmanlike signings from lower leagues (Darlington, Wardley) and the comparison holds.

Is Gaz comparable with Gerry Francis though? On that, so much will depend...
[Post edited 25 Jul 2023 16:28]
Is everyone here mentally prepared for relegation ? on 10:58 - Jul 25 with 2666 viewsdavman

Is everyone here mentally prepared for relegation ? on 09:12 - Jul 25 by Wegerles_Stairs

Surely plenty of people are being negative based on the empirical evidence of actually going to matches though, rather than reading about it on a forum. I went to every one of our home games last season and you can see how negative I am (counter: I am currently thinking of puppies bounding in the park to avoid being negative on a football forum).

Part of the reason for the atmosphere on Saturday was the weather (freezing and wet in July); the curious design of their stand, whereby the roof doesn't actually protect you from rain; and the bleakness of that edifice at the other end, which made it feel like Lodz in 1973.

Exactly this.

I doubt that any negativity at the ground is because a number of us post how we are feeling on message boards that reach a fraction of our fanbase. Maybe, just maybe, they look at the evidence in front of them and come to the same conclusion...

.. .but if they are that susceptible, maybe I should post up how important it is that my bank account gets topped up regularly - sounds like a great way to make money...

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Is everyone here mentally prepared for relegation ? on 11:36 - Jul 25 with 2569 viewsDejR_vu

Is everyone here mentally prepared for relegation ? on 07:53 - Jul 25 by nix

Not sure about that, Nix.

The posts on here aren't piped into anyone's phone. Anyone reading them will have to have proactively gone to find them. No one's forced to read them, fans, players or club staff. So, if they do, that's their choice. If players choose to and it's to their detriment they should stop, out of professional obligation, if nothing else.

Is being flat really more likely to be as a consequence of what has been written about, or what's been witnessed in person? We've all been put through the wringer. I accept it's probably a bit of both, but I would have thought watching this team last season is likely to have a bigger far bigger impact on the mood of the fan base than anything that has been written about them on a forum. If forums didn't exist would the mood at Wimbledon have been any different?

Edit: wot Roy's Steps said!
[Post edited 25 Jul 2023 11:45]

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

Is everyone here mentally prepared for relegation ? on 14:02 - Jul 25 with 2416 viewsnix

Is everyone here mentally prepared for relegation ? on 09:12 - Jul 25 by Wegerles_Stairs

I think there’s a bit of both. Yes it’s true seeing us play badly makes you feel negative. But I’d also say that reading people’s negative viewpoint can slip you over from open minded to negative. It’s the drip, drip, drip of it. It’s not just this MB it’s Twitter and FB as well. People tend to be influenced by stuff they’ve seen online, otherwise people wouldn’t have social media campaigns. You aren’t necessarily aware of being influenced, that’s the point.

Anyway I don’t think we’ll agree on this so I’ll leave you with your views.
Is everyone here mentally prepared for relegation ? on 15:16 - Jul 25 with 2285 viewskensalriser

I don't know about mentally prepared, but I'm certainly physically prepared. I've got my dribble bib ready, my favourite toys all lined up and am just clearing my throat.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Is everyone here mentally prepared for relegation ? on 15:21 - Jul 25 with 2252 viewskropotkin41

Surely most of us were pretty much resigned to relegation last season. What other kind of preparation is there? Rationalism, I suppose. Bargaining. The stages of grief. All things considered, with the tone of Clive's reports, and what we know about the club, let alone football generally, I'm pretty much ready to hear that a sinkhole has opened under Loftus Road and taken the whole club with it.... statement tomorrow on the offy.

‘morbid curiosity about where this is all going’

Is everyone here mentally prepared for relegation ? on 10:11 - Jul 26 with 1896 viewsconnell10

We will make the play offs by finishing in 5th place....You heard it here first !!

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Is everyone here mentally prepared for relegation ? on 18:25 - Jul 26 with 1699 viewsdavman

Is everyone here mentally prepared for relegation ? on 10:11 - Jul 26 by connell10

We will make the play offs by finishing in 5th place....You heard it here first !!

Which season and which league, Connell?

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Is everyone here mentally prepared for relegation ? on 08:10 - Jul 27 with 1548 viewsSK_hoops

442 magazine have got us rock bottom of the championship prediction league.
Is everyone here mentally prepared for relegation ? on 08:35 - Jul 27 with 1517 viewsstevec

To avoid any negativity on my part I’ve had my spectacles taped, a pair for each half, so I can only watch the left side of the team and thus avoid the inevitable carnage going on down our right.
Is everyone here mentally prepared for relegation ? on 08:39 - Jul 27 with 1516 viewskernowhoop

Sakura, after being very negative about the forthcoming season - not least after that 3-0 defeat in Austria - I started to look for positives. Hard, but there are some. I know that the pre-season matches are about fitness, not results, but the record is not bad (W2, D1, L1). And, at times, there have been indications that it might be possible to play more direct football without dumping completely the ability of our more talented players (Wimbledon and Reading matches). You mentioned set-pieces and the impact of an improvement in that area. Couldn't agree more. Tightening the defence is a must, but, let's see if we can a) have some imaginative ideas for making the most of our free-kicks in the final third and b) make our corner kicks more effective.
Anyway, you have cheered me up. Thank you.
Is everyone here mentally prepared for relegation ? on 15:59 - Jul 28 with 1330 viewskernowhoop

Is everyone here mentally prepared for relegation ? on 08:39 - Jul 27 by kernowhoop

Sakura, after being very negative about the forthcoming season - not least after that 3-0 defeat in Austria - I started to look for positives. Hard, but there are some. I know that the pre-season matches are about fitness, not results, but the record is not bad (W2, D1, L1). And, at times, there have been indications that it might be possible to play more direct football without dumping completely the ability of our more talented players (Wimbledon and Reading matches). You mentioned set-pieces and the impact of an improvement in that area. Couldn't agree more. Tightening the defence is a must, but, let's see if we can a) have some imaginative ideas for making the most of our free-kicks in the final third and b) make our corner kicks more effective.
Anyway, you have cheered me up. Thank you.

Why do my comments so often kill the discussion?
Is everyone here mentally prepared for relegation ? on 17:25 - Jul 29 with 1214 viewsHooping_Mad

Is everyone here mentally prepared for relegation ? on 23:26 - Jul 22 by Hunterhoop

Just get behind the manger, the coaches and the players for the start of this season. If they don’t try, if they shirk things, if they throw in the towel, then complain.

But for now, let’s just support the club. It’s our club. If we don’t support it, who will and what’s the point?

5-0 at Oxford are we allowed to complain yet?

Chairman of the Junior Hoilett appreciation society

Is everyone here mentally prepared for relegation ? on 17:35 - Jul 29 with 1165 viewsG_Ottershaw

In response to the original question:
i don't own the club, i don't manage the team
...so yes, i am fully prepared for anything that comes with being a qpr supporter, it won't change anything for me.
Is everyone here mentally prepared for relegation ? on 19:10 - Jul 29 with 1060 viewsLowerloftLad

One recognised championship standard striker

Injury prone center backs like Clarke add this to unfortunately having dunne injured meaning we don't have any recognised championship center backs.

Absolutely no depth in this sqaud.

Barring a miracle this is all going to end in tears I'm afraid.
[Post edited 29 Jul 2023 20:12]

Ohhhhhh bobby zamora

Is everyone here mentally prepared for relegation ? on 19:13 - Jul 29 with 1047 viewsloftboy

Haven’t commented on this thread yet. But in answer to the OP I will immensely happy am surprised if we aren’t.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Is everyone here mentally prepared for relegation ? on 19:17 - Jul 29 with 1033 viewsNorthernr

Is everyone here mentally prepared for relegation ? on 19:13 - Jul 29 by loftboy

Haven’t commented on this thread yet. But in answer to the OP I will immensely happy am surprised if we aren’t.

Same and same.

If Ainsworth keeps this squad of players up this season it's statue on Batman Close levels of heroism.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024