Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Athletic: This is the sorry tale of a club stuck in an ominous downward spiral 09:18 - Oct 18 with 13503 viewsTK1

Absolutely damning long-read in The Athletic. Lee Hoos standing on top of the Stan Bowles stand pissing on my head, while telling me it's raining gold:

(Hoos) defended Ainsworth’s style of play when that was put to him by The Athletic. “I’m not sure we always give up possession, the last five games that hasn’t been the case. I thought it had been fairly even. People got that from last year but he switched that after the first few games of this season, it’s a lot closer than people think (the two teams in possession) but because that perception is at the back of people’s minds that’s always what they fasten on to."

This makes me feel more doomy than the actual games. What are they looking at? Hoos now claiming we do not need a DOF or Sporting Director or whatever you want to call it.

https://theathletic.com/4969691/2023/10/18/qpr-gareth-ainsworth-downward-spiral/
Athletic: This is the sorry tale of a club stuck in an ominous downward spiral on 18:13 - Oct 18 with 2498 viewsdaveB

I think it's easy to point the finger at blame for where it's gone wrong, it's important to learn from all that and the club continues to show no sign that they are learning but key for me is how do we turn this around.

Whether you blame managers, players, owners etc what do we do to stop being a shambles.
Thats the tough bit and the big worry for me in this excellent piece is that Hoos seems to be saying it's all alright we'll just carry on. They are in complete denial if they think hope is going to fix this

I found it amazing Hoos kept his job after last season and for him to have even more power now is incredible.

Club needs a clear out from the top and on the coaching side before you even start on the team and lets face it the team needs a lot of work.

I'd be bringing in a new CEO, we've had some very good ones who have worked for us before and doing good jobs elesewhere,. We need a new manager, Ainsworth is just not good enough.
Ramsey has to go, he doesn't really have a role anymore seems to be around the first team rather than academy, he'll be on a good contract as well.
[Post edited 18 Oct 2023 18:17]
Athletic: This is the sorry tale of a club stuck in an ominous downward spiral on 18:15 - Oct 18 with 2482 viewsconnell10

I've always thought Hoo,s was full of shite and I think his comments in that article confirm my view.

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Athletic: This is the sorry tale of a club stuck in an ominous downward spiral on 19:02 - Oct 18 with 2370 viewsQPRConor2000

I think its very concerning that there is even a player who is willing to speak out against Ainsworth now, that tells me that the camp isn't as all happy as we all think it is, its clear Ainsworth has lost the dressing room.

Also the complete lack of accountability or responsibility at this football club right now is utterly shocking, the fact that Lee Hoos is basically the DOF shows how utterly incompetent our current set up is.

We need a DOF to be appointed at least before January, its vital especially as it means we can start planning ahead of the Summer Window.

Our club is an absolute comedy show, and unless we see serious action by the board, I feel fan discontent is going to blow over big time.

That Leicester game feels very much a forgone conclusion already.
Athletic: This is the sorry tale of a club stuck in an ominous downward spiral on 19:07 - Oct 18 with 2361 viewsterryb

Athletic: This is the sorry tale of a club stuck in an ominous downward spiral on 16:26 - Oct 18 by Antti_Heinola

Well, Langley was late 90s, so that's him out.
Let's compromise then and say a decade.

I've thought of another & we sold him for over £1 million. He was also in the past ten years!

Darnell Furlong.

We do agree in the main over this, but the pedant in me won't allow incorrect "facts" to go unchallenged!
Athletic: This is the sorry tale of a club stuck in an ominous downward spiral on 20:04 - Oct 18 with 2281 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

Athletic: This is the sorry tale of a club stuck in an ominous downward spiral on 19:07 - Oct 18 by terryb

I've thought of another & we sold him for over £1 million. He was also in the past ten years!

Darnell Furlong.

We do agree in the main over this, but the pedant in me won't allow incorrect "facts" to go unchallenged!

And Mickey Beale for £1m !
Athletic: This is the sorry tale of a club stuck in an ominous downward spiral on 20:17 - Oct 18 with 2276 viewsNed_Kennedys

Athletic: This is the sorry tale of a club stuck in an ominous downward spiral on 12:11 - Oct 18 by QPRConor2000

This is a pretty damning read.

I think many who spend their hard earned money every week will have to give some thought about whether they even go to LR this season, I for one will not be going to home games until the board actually grow a backbone and take the decision to sack Ainsworth.

I suspect a lot of the fanbase will share my distain at the way the club is going atm.

The fanbase are rightly concerned about the current situation but you will be in a small minority deciding not to go to Loftus Road to give the team much needed support.
Athletic: This is the sorry tale of a club stuck in an ominous downward spiral on 20:42 - Oct 18 with 2234 viewsessextaxiboy

Athletic: This is the sorry tale of a club stuck in an ominous downward spiral on 19:02 - Oct 18 by QPRConor2000

I think its very concerning that there is even a player who is willing to speak out against Ainsworth now, that tells me that the camp isn't as all happy as we all think it is, its clear Ainsworth has lost the dressing room.

Also the complete lack of accountability or responsibility at this football club right now is utterly shocking, the fact that Lee Hoos is basically the DOF shows how utterly incompetent our current set up is.

We need a DOF to be appointed at least before January, its vital especially as it means we can start planning ahead of the Summer Window.

Our club is an absolute comedy show, and unless we see serious action by the board, I feel fan discontent is going to blow over big time.

As has been mentioned it does not say that the source is a player , it could be the bloke who puts the cones out for the first team.

I am all for giving a manager a fair go , especially someone like GA but I am amazed that he is still here after Blackburn .
Athletic: This is the sorry tale of a club stuck in an ominous downward spiral on 20:54 - Oct 18 with 2200 viewsessextaxiboy

Athletic: This is the sorry tale of a club stuck in an ominous downward spiral on 20:17 - Oct 18 by Ned_Kennedys

The fanbase are rightly concerned about the current situation but you will be in a small minority deciding not to go to Loftus Road to give the team much needed support.

Yep , most I think are in despair over the state of things, but I wouldnt just not go .
Login to get fewer ads

Athletic: This is the sorry tale of a club stuck in an ominous downward spiral on 21:19 - Oct 18 with 2155 viewscolinallcars

Athletic: This is the sorry tale of a club stuck in an ominous downward spiral on 20:54 - Oct 18 by essextaxiboy

Yep , most I think are in despair over the state of things, but I wouldnt just not go .

You are correct. Most (all) of us are sick of the whole shebang but we can't stop going.
There are still many good things - pre and post match pints and seeing people you wouldn't ordinarily see.
In other fields of human endeavour, if you tire of something - a pub or restaurant or shop, maybe a band you don't like anymore it's easy. You just give it all up.
Not so with QPR. It's got a hold over us.
Athletic: This is the sorry tale of a club stuck in an ominous downward spiral on 21:29 - Oct 18 with 2142 viewsozexile

Athletic: This is the sorry tale of a club stuck in an ominous downward spiral on 19:02 - Oct 18 by QPRConor2000

IMO they won't appoint a new DOF till Ainsworth is gone. Then they can bring in two appointments who have the same Football ethos.
Athletic: This is the sorry tale of a club stuck in an ominous downward spiral on 22:01 - Oct 18 with 2079 viewsOldPedro

Athletic: This is the sorry tale of a club stuck in an ominous downward spiral on 21:29 - Oct 18 by ozexile

IMO they won't appoint a new DOF till Ainsworth is gone. Then they can bring in two appointments who have the same Football ethos.

I can see some logic in doing this but the key will be when. If the club don't make a change until the Dec / Jan, I fear it will be too late. It has to be before the Nov international break.

Extra mature cheddar......a simple cheese for a simple man

Athletic: This is the sorry tale of a club stuck in an ominous downward spiral on 22:34 - Oct 18 with 2021 viewsBrianMcCarthy

"I think its very concerning that there is even a player who is willing to speak out against Ainsworth now, that tells me that the camp isn't as all happy as we all think it is, its clear Ainsworth has lost the dressing room."

Conor,

To be fair, the article doesn't quote the first-team source, it doesn't say the first-team source is a player and we have no idea if it's genuine or not.

Edit - grammar check.
[Post edited 18 Oct 2023 22:36]

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Athletic: This is the sorry tale of a club stuck in an ominous downward spiral on 03:33 - Oct 19 with 1888 viewsrbee

As a CEO I like Lee Hoos and I think if he had been at the club a few years earlier he might have curtailed Tony Fernandes recklessness. But now it seems that his responsibilities at the club are encroaching on to the footballing side which is not a good thing.

I really do not understand our owners at the moment. Surely, they must be hugely concerned watching their club on a never-ending spiral downwards. I agree with Clive we desperately need a new DOF at the club, a football man to turn the club around. I always remember Ollie going to the new training ground a few months ago and being surprised that so many people were still there after ten years or so. The club has gone stale which is reflected in our squad and results.

I have no doubt that Amit will be getting advice from Neil Warnock but the club needs much more than this. When Gareth is shown the door who on earth is going to select his replacement? Anybody involved in recruitment at the club should be following Gareth out of the door.

Our owners are successful businessmen and they should be viewing our club in the same way they do their other businesses where they seek to recruit the right people to help drive their companies forward. Don't listen to the fans, don't listen to the advice of those without extensive football experience, be decisive, be ruthless and turn this business around.
[Post edited 19 Oct 2023 3:37]
Athletic: This is the sorry tale of a club stuck in an ominous downward spiral on 09:24 - Oct 19 with 1680 viewsR_from_afar

Athletic: This is the sorry tale of a club stuck in an ominous downward spiral on 14:15 - Oct 18 by TeddRanger

“The next season, we had Chris Willock, Ilias Chair, Seny Dieng, Rob Dickie, who we could have sold for good money. But we were in the top six. So the owners went, ‘We can’t sell our best players, we’re in the top six’. I said, ‘Well, hang on a minute, the remit is we need to raise money, we need to sell players’. Your players are going to be at their most valuable, unfortunately, when they’re in the top six. If I could change anything it would be having the plan and sticking to the plan rather than changing the plan.”

Can you imagine how many pitchforks would be flaming if we'd sold Willock and Chair when we were in the top six?

Indeed, and I'm not saying it's easy to do, but Les had not developed any players who were anywhere near being capable of replacing them in the first team, sadly.

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Athletic: This is the sorry tale of a club stuck in an ominous downward spiral on 14:20 - Oct 19 with 1439 viewsTeddRanger

Athletic: This is the sorry tale of a club stuck in an ominous downward spiral on 18:13 - Oct 18 by daveB

I think it's easy to point the finger at blame for where it's gone wrong, it's important to learn from all that and the club continues to show no sign that they are learning but key for me is how do we turn this around.

Whether you blame managers, players, owners etc what do we do to stop being a shambles.
Thats the tough bit and the big worry for me in this excellent piece is that Hoos seems to be saying it's all alright we'll just carry on. They are in complete denial if they think hope is going to fix this

I found it amazing Hoos kept his job after last season and for him to have even more power now is incredible.

Club needs a clear out from the top and on the coaching side before you even start on the team and lets face it the team needs a lot of work.

I'd be bringing in a new CEO, we've had some very good ones who have worked for us before and doing good jobs elesewhere,. We need a new manager, Ainsworth is just not good enough.
Ramsey has to go, he doesn't really have a role anymore seems to be around the first team rather than academy, he'll be on a good contract as well.
[Post edited 18 Oct 2023 18:17]

Who were our good CEO’s?
Athletic: This is the sorry tale of a club stuck in an ominous downward spiral on 14:22 - Oct 19 with 1427 viewsTheChef

Athletic: This is the sorry tale of a club stuck in an ominous downward spiral on 14:20 - Oct 19 by TeddRanger

Who were our good CEO’s?

Bhatia/Saksena worked well together.

Mark Devlin too, when we were also brassic.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Athletic: This is the sorry tale of a club stuck in an ominous downward spiral on 15:09 - Oct 19 with 1337 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Athletic: This is the sorry tale of a club stuck in an ominous downward spiral on 20:17 - Oct 18 by Ned_Kennedys

I understand where you're coming from but there comes a point at which the team has to respond and start giving back. With 1 win at HQ in the past calendar year, the club can't count on unrequited love forever.
Athletic: This is the sorry tale of a club stuck in an ominous downward spiral on 18:03 - Oct 19 with 1234 viewsdaveB

Athletic: This is the sorry tale of a club stuck in an ominous downward spiral on 14:20 - Oct 19 by TeddRanger

Who were our good CEO’s?

Mark Devlin and Jim Frayling, although not sure Jim was CEO when he was with us but had far more of an idea how to get the best out of QPR than this current mob. either of them would be a massive upgrade on what we currently have but need their heads testing to accept it.
Athletic: This is the sorry tale of a club stuck in an ominous downward spiral on 18:11 - Oct 19 with 1219 viewsNorthernr

Athletic: This is the sorry tale of a club stuck in an ominous downward spiral on 18:03 - Oct 19 by daveB

Mark Devlin and Jim Frayling, although not sure Jim was CEO when he was with us but had far more of an idea how to get the best out of QPR than this current mob. either of them would be a massive upgrade on what we currently have but need their heads testing to accept it.

Jim won't like me saying it but I'd have had him back in at QPR yester-month.
Athletic: This is the sorry tale of a club stuck in an ominous downward spiral on 19:09 - Oct 19 with 1135 viewsmart_Goblin

And this is the reason Beale won’t be asked back . He screwed the owners and is one if the man reasons we are in this mess
Athletic: This is the sorry tale of a club stuck in an ominous downward spiral on 19:14 - Oct 19 with 1127 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Athletic: This is the sorry tale of a club stuck in an ominous downward spiral on 16:19 - Oct 18 by toboboly

Not sure you can count most of those if the idea is to bring through young talent, play said talent and sell for a profit;

Kakay - has come through, not really good enough but tries hard, however there will be no fee when he does leave

Oteh - no fee, absolute rubbish

Manning - left for almost nothing because a manager brought a load of other players in and refused to play him, surely a DoF would have prevented that?

Smyth - same as above, received no fee and then we had to bring him back!

Chair - Decent player, should have been sold when we were riding high and may have fetched 8 figures, the DoF should be pushing such sales, doubt we will get much if/when he does go in January or July

Masterson - brought in looked half decent then see Manning above, no fee received when left.

Furlong - came through and sold for ok money, slight caveat is that he was here well before LF

Bright - not developed through our youth system, left for very little due to the same issue as Manning above

Eze - only positive so far

Lumley - did ok, hounded out by fans, no fee received, slight caveat was here before LF

Dieng - did well, not sold at peak, dropped off a cliff and sold for not very much

From what I can see almost all of the players were sold at less than they could have been had a DoF been aggressive in negotiating and mindful of the clubs future regarding FFP.

We can also see some of the issues that a DoF could have prevented by following 'the model' QPR were supposed to be using;

Travelman - no ability, silly contract, no fee

Austin and Johansen - good loans, far too much wages for permanent transfers

Lee Wallace - older player, often injured

Odubajo - see Wallace

Liam Kelly - see Wallace, also prevented younger players getting games

Archer/Marshall/Westwood/Dillon Barnes - blocked youth players, cost more money than younger players

Chris Martin - already covered

El-Khayati/Borysiuk/Nbakoto/Hendrick/Ramkilde/JET - give me strength

Bad loan signings - Hemed/Clarke/LuaLua/Ravel Morrison 2nd time around/Angella

Sean Goss - how much did we waste on this guy again???!!! no fee.

It just goes on and on and on, I will always clap LF for what he did as a player and had he at least stuck to his guns as a DoF I would respect him for that, but the amount of poor recruitment under his watch, the complete lack of talent coming through, the feeble returns for the talent we did have on the books is a massive reason why this club is going to fall through the trapdoor into League 1 and will be lucky to see the grassy Championship uplands for quite some time.

Whoop, there it is.
Athletic: This is the sorry tale of a club stuck in an ominous downward spiral on 07:48 - Oct 20 with 948 viewsTeddRanger

So, Mark Devlin then as Jim wasn’t a CEO.

The majority have been crap- Phl Beard, David Davies and other nonentities whose forgettable names (and tenures) , I’ve forgotten.
Athletic: This is the sorry tale of a club stuck in an ominous downward spiral on 09:37 - Oct 20 with 869 viewsJevlar

Athletic: This is the sorry tale of a club stuck in an ominous downward spiral on 18:11 - Oct 19 by Northernr

Jim won't like me saying it but I'd have had him back in at QPR yester-month.

Completely agree. He'd do a superb job. Rs fan, bundles of the right career experience, and a lovely bloke.
Athletic: This is the sorry tale of a club stuck in an ominous downward spiral on 11:47 - Oct 20 with 768 viewsWegerles_Stairs

Athletic: This is the sorry tale of a club stuck in an ominous downward spiral on 19:14 - Oct 19 by Benny_the_Ball

Whoop, there it is.

Very surprising considering the innumerable qualifications and experience Les had of the DoF role before we appointed him. That record makes him look like a novice.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024