Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Chris Ramsey gone 15:01 - Jan 8 with 53157 viewsJigsore

https://www.qpr.co.uk/news/2024/january/08/chris-ramsey-departs/

“The thing about football - the important thing about football - is that it is not just about football.”

Chris Ramsey gone on 23:19 - Jan 8 with 8119 viewscolinallcars

Chris Ramsey gone on 22:53 - Jan 8 by FredManRave

Chris Ramsey, gone but not...oh, wait.. what was I gonna say.....erm no.... that's it, I've forgotten.

Then there's the owners…..forgotten but not gone.
Chris Ramsey gone on 00:49 - Jan 9 with 7856 viewsstainrods_elbow

Chris Ramsey gone on 15:16 - Jan 8 by VancouverHoop

Possibly Lee Hoos, now he's a board member?

My lovely friends on this board will hardly be surprised to learn I shall be doing cartwheels in my underpants the day Hoos rationalises himself out of the multiple livings he is somehow bamboozling out of our club and makes a return journey across the Atlantic forever. A glorified accountant somehow turned CEO, Chairman, and DoF all at once, whose ability to plumb new depths of dereliction while somehow enhancing his brand, makes Trump's trajectory across the Atlantic look positively meritocratic. I can only assume pigs fly nightly over his house.

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

Chris Ramsey gone on 08:06 - Jan 9 with 7533 viewsBoston

I'm in the 'thank god he's gone column'. Always struck me as a nice bloke but lost confidence in his ability during the woeful tenure as manager / head coach.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Chris Ramsey gone on 08:36 - Jan 9 with 7412 viewsconnell10

Chris Ramsey gone on 00:49 - Jan 9 by stainrods_elbow

My lovely friends on this board will hardly be surprised to learn I shall be doing cartwheels in my underpants the day Hoos rationalises himself out of the multiple livings he is somehow bamboozling out of our club and makes a return journey across the Atlantic forever. A glorified accountant somehow turned CEO, Chairman, and DoF all at once, whose ability to plumb new depths of dereliction while somehow enhancing his brand, makes Trump's trajectory across the Atlantic look positively meritocratic. I can only assume pigs fly nightly over his house.

Im with you mate cant stand him .

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Chris Ramsey gone on 09:05 - Jan 9 with 7309 viewsEsox_Lucius

Dear Chris Ramsey,
As I sit down to pen this letter, my heart brims with gratitude, admiration, and a touch of nostalgia. It's a moment to reflect on a journey that has left an indelible mark on my family and the Queens Park Rangers community. Today, we bid you farewell, not just as a technical director but as a guiding light who shaped the destinies of young footballing talents and a true hero in our eyes.
Your nine-year tenure at QPR was more than just a professional commitment; it was a journey that intertwined our lives with the beautiful game of football. I remember the day you stepped into our story, back in 2014 when you took up the role of Head of Player Development. Little did I know then that our paths would cross in such a profound way.
I want to share a personal story, one that encapsulates the essence of your dedication to QPR and British football. It's a story about a battle, a battle that took place off the pitch but was just as intense as any matchday encounter. It's a story about my son, Rayan Kolli, and how you stood like a rock, defending QPR's interests and nurturing his potential.
Rayan, at the age of 16, had the opportunity to join West Ham, a tempting prospect for any young footballer. The offers were enticing, and many believed that this was the path he should take. But you, Chris, saw something more profound. You saw the promise, the potential, and the value that Rayan held for QPR's future.
You made a tough call, one that required tremendous courage. You turned down significant offers, you challenged us in a six-month-long battle, and you decided to take the matter to tribunal to prevent Rayan from leaving QPR. It was a decision that wasn't understood by many at the time, but you had a plan, a vision for his growth, and an unshakable belief in the club's future.
On December 2021, that final meeting with West Ham defined the path we would take. They wanted Rayan desperately, but you, Chris, had decided to stand firm. You were willing to go to tribunal to protect QPR's interests, and I couldn't help but wonder why. Why would you do this? The answer, we discovered, lay in the future.
Two years later, after Rayan's return to QPR, we finally understood the reason behind your unwavering stance. He made his debut at the age of 18, and it became clear that you had nurtured not just a player but a potential star. Your vision had prevailed, and QPR was richer for it.
Your dedication extended far beyond Rayan, though. You believed in the philosophy that the development of the individual comes first, above results. You were there through thick and thin, rising up with the players from the academy, and your fingerprints can be seen on the careers of many, from Harry Kane to Danny Rose to Harry Winks.
I have no doubt that in the next 24 years, the world will witness the fruits of your labor as these talents rise through the ranks and make their mark on the first team. And as a devoted supporter and a father, I want to say thank you from the depths of my heart for everything you've done for my son and countless others.
You have left an indelible mark on the history of Queens Park Rangers, and your legacy will forever be cherished. I know we may have had our battles, but today, I want to say that I'm truly grateful that you prevailed. You were the protector of QPR's future, and for that, we owe you a debt of gratitude.
As you step into the next chapter of your journey, I want to wish you all the success and happiness in the world. May your passion for football continue to inspire, and may your impact on the game be felt for generations to come.
With the utmost respect and heartfelt gratitude,
Badis L kolli

The grass is always greener.

Chris Ramsey gone on 09:24 - Jan 9 with 7208 viewsbosh67

Chris Ramsey gone on 09:05 - Jan 9 by Esox_Lucius

Dear Chris Ramsey,
As I sit down to pen this letter, my heart brims with gratitude, admiration, and a touch of nostalgia. It's a moment to reflect on a journey that has left an indelible mark on my family and the Queens Park Rangers community. Today, we bid you farewell, not just as a technical director but as a guiding light who shaped the destinies of young footballing talents and a true hero in our eyes.
Your nine-year tenure at QPR was more than just a professional commitment; it was a journey that intertwined our lives with the beautiful game of football. I remember the day you stepped into our story, back in 2014 when you took up the role of Head of Player Development. Little did I know then that our paths would cross in such a profound way.
I want to share a personal story, one that encapsulates the essence of your dedication to QPR and British football. It's a story about a battle, a battle that took place off the pitch but was just as intense as any matchday encounter. It's a story about my son, Rayan Kolli, and how you stood like a rock, defending QPR's interests and nurturing his potential.
Rayan, at the age of 16, had the opportunity to join West Ham, a tempting prospect for any young footballer. The offers were enticing, and many believed that this was the path he should take. But you, Chris, saw something more profound. You saw the promise, the potential, and the value that Rayan held for QPR's future.
You made a tough call, one that required tremendous courage. You turned down significant offers, you challenged us in a six-month-long battle, and you decided to take the matter to tribunal to prevent Rayan from leaving QPR. It was a decision that wasn't understood by many at the time, but you had a plan, a vision for his growth, and an unshakable belief in the club's future.
On December 2021, that final meeting with West Ham defined the path we would take. They wanted Rayan desperately, but you, Chris, had decided to stand firm. You were willing to go to tribunal to protect QPR's interests, and I couldn't help but wonder why. Why would you do this? The answer, we discovered, lay in the future.
Two years later, after Rayan's return to QPR, we finally understood the reason behind your unwavering stance. He made his debut at the age of 18, and it became clear that you had nurtured not just a player but a potential star. Your vision had prevailed, and QPR was richer for it.
Your dedication extended far beyond Rayan, though. You believed in the philosophy that the development of the individual comes first, above results. You were there through thick and thin, rising up with the players from the academy, and your fingerprints can be seen on the careers of many, from Harry Kane to Danny Rose to Harry Winks.
I have no doubt that in the next 24 years, the world will witness the fruits of your labor as these talents rise through the ranks and make their mark on the first team. And as a devoted supporter and a father, I want to say thank you from the depths of my heart for everything you've done for my son and countless others.
You have left an indelible mark on the history of Queens Park Rangers, and your legacy will forever be cherished. I know we may have had our battles, but today, I want to say that I'm truly grateful that you prevailed. You were the protector of QPR's future, and for that, we owe you a debt of gratitude.
As you step into the next chapter of your journey, I want to wish you all the success and happiness in the world. May your passion for football continue to inspire, and may your impact on the game be felt for generations to come.
Badis L kolli

Obviously a lot of what he did do well we didn't know about.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Chris Ramsey gone on 09:27 - Jan 9 with 7197 viewsNorthernr

Dear Chris Ramsey,
Badis L kolli

So Kolli trialled at West Ham, they were keen, Kolli and family were keen, Ramsey said it'll have to go to a tribunal, West Ham said nah you're alright, but now he's had his assist bonus from the Cardiff game so all's well that ends well
Chris Ramsey gone on 09:27 - Jan 9 with 7196 viewsBAWHoops

Dear Chris Ramsey,
Badis L kolli

The issue with this is that Ramsey and Les didn't stick to this enough.

There's no doubt that Ramsey helped nurture Eze, Manning, Bright, Lumley, Dieng. They also were installed to late to convince Bowler and Laurent to stay at QPR.
This is what made the whole thing so frustrating. Les and Ramsey knew what to do, they knew how a club like QPR could succeed.
Clive tells the story of how everyone knew Bright was a star in the making even though McLaren didn't play him. By the time he was established in the first team he had 18 months left on his contract and decided to see it out.
They should have stuck with he plan and extended his contract a year earlier. Same with Manning, farmed off to Rotherham on loan because McLaren didn't want him, but if the development plan was being stuck to he should have been given an extension by the club before he was sent on loan.

It seems to me that far to often Les and Ramsey bowed to pressure from beneath them and brought in players who blocked pathways, or were having to constantly appease owners with silly signings as the manager had their ear (Hemed anyone!!).

Their plan and vision was sound, when they got it right it worked well... really well. But they lost sight of it when Warbs put that Covid run together and the whole club got stars in their eyes. It's left us snookered and having to start all over again

http://blogandwhitehoops.wordpress.com/

Login to get fewer ads

Chris Ramsey gone on 09:28 - Jan 9 with 7186 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Chris Ramsey gone on 09:24 - Jan 9 by bosh67

Obviously a lot of what he did do well we didn't know about.

It's good info, though.

I had read somewhere that the only reason Kolli was still here was that other clubs didn't rate him or want him.
This contradicts that.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Chris Ramsey gone on 09:39 - Jan 9 with 7103 viewsdaveB

It's always a case of not many know what he actually did so it's easy to hurl abuse say how bad he is or even say how great he is but very few really know.

I think his time should be judged on what he walked into, a completly under funded academy running on fumes which produced very little despite some very good work by people running it. Along with les they got in the boards ear and got funding for the academy, new coaches brought in, more scouts eventually a new training ground all positives. We couldn't keep hold of a lot of the promising kids who came through which makes it look a failure, Kolli sounds another one who could easily have gone but did get some good kids aged 18 and up like Eze, Chair, Manning, Bright, Armstrong who became first team regulars and developed well at the club.

Much like Les he wasn't the idiot or devil that many painted him as but also wasn't brilliant either and probably stayed 2 years too long
Chris Ramsey gone on 09:42 - Jan 9 with 7078 viewsNed_Kennedys

Chris Ramsey gone on 09:28 - Jan 9 by BrianMcCarthy

It's good info, though.

I had read somewhere that the only reason Kolli was still here was that other clubs didn't rate him or want him.
This contradicts that.

Well at the moment he’s contributed one assist to the season before joining the injured list.

He’s far from being the messiah yet and hardly proof that Ramsey has justified his 9 years at the club.
Chris Ramsey gone on 09:44 - Jan 9 with 7054 viewsslmrstid

I know we lament kids that leave clubs like us to go on to bigger clubs and get a bit high and mighty about it when they end up back at our level or below after (have Bowler and Laurent done any better than if they'd just stayed with us? Who knows) but trying to imagine myself in those players and their families shoes... I'm not sure you can really blame them when they do want to make the bigger clubs moves. One bad injury, whether at West Ham or QPR, and its all over. At West Ham you would no doubt have made a bit more out of it to set your future up than at QPR. Certainly never any guarantees of future success in elite sport.
Chris Ramsey gone on 09:44 - Jan 9 with 7043 viewsngbqpr

Blimey, it's tough finding the thoughtful / thought out comments among all the snidey $hit in this thread.

As I said above, do we really know who does what? Now my gut feeling (and that's all it is) is that after 9 years, a parting of the ways is probably the best idea for both parties - but there is so much evidence that Ramsey is both a decent man and a respected coach, that I just don't get the comments that seem to place him in Bosingwa / Barton territory.

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

Chris Ramsey gone on 09:50 - Jan 9 with 7010 viewsNorthernr

Chris Ramsey gone on 09:39 - Jan 9 by daveB

It's always a case of not many know what he actually did so it's easy to hurl abuse say how bad he is or even say how great he is but very few really know.

I think his time should be judged on what he walked into, a completly under funded academy running on fumes which produced very little despite some very good work by people running it. Along with les they got in the boards ear and got funding for the academy, new coaches brought in, more scouts eventually a new training ground all positives. We couldn't keep hold of a lot of the promising kids who came through which makes it look a failure, Kolli sounds another one who could easily have gone but did get some good kids aged 18 and up like Eze, Chair, Manning, Bright, Armstrong who became first team regulars and developed well at the club.

Much like Les he wasn't the idiot or devil that many painted him as but also wasn't brilliant either and probably stayed 2 years too long

We like to put a human face on our anger and blame.

We really like to do it with managers. Then the manager leaves, a new manager comes in, it doesn't get better, but instead of wandering why that is, we just start on the new manager. You're already seeing it with Cifuentes, who's inherited the worst situation and team at QPR that I've ever known )possibly apart from the one Ian Holloway picked up first time around).

Things have got worse since Les left, so now it's Hoos, and you're starting to see Belk as well.

Simple facts are these... You've got nigh on 200 staff, significantly more than similar clubs to us in this league (Millwall), and at the last count the wage bill was well in excess of £20m. For that we've got the worst team in the league, we've fcked the budget and our recruitment, and our academy is producing nothing.

So... people have to go. Lots of people, because we can't afford them, and because they haven't done their job well enough. But, if we don't sort out why they failed and why we keep failing, the structure and the culture, then they'll just be replaced with more people who will fail, and a few years down the line whoever's running the academy instead of Chris Ramsey will get the push and there'll be another thread on here saying "good".

This post has been edited by an administrator
Chris Ramsey gone on 09:50 - Jan 9 with 7006 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Chris Ramsey gone on 09:42 - Jan 9 by Ned_Kennedys

Well at the moment he’s contributed one assist to the season before joining the injured list.

He’s far from being the messiah yet and hardly proof that Ramsey has justified his 9 years at the club.

I wasn't suggesting, that, Ned. I've posted above my thoughts on Ramsey.

I thought it was good info on Kolli as much as anything.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Chris Ramsey gone on 09:54 - Jan 9 with 6969 viewsTheChef

Chris Ramsey gone on 09:44 - Jan 9 by ngbqpr

Blimey, it's tough finding the thoughtful / thought out comments among all the snidey $hit in this thread.

As I said above, do we really know who does what? Now my gut feeling (and that's all it is) is that after 9 years, a parting of the ways is probably the best idea for both parties - but there is so much evidence that Ramsey is both a decent man and a respected coach, that I just don't get the comments that seem to place him in Bosingwa / Barton territory.

Agreed.

I think ultimately Ramsey was hamstrung by the collapse of the Championship transfer market post-Covid. And mainly, him/Ferdinand getting overruled by a succession of QPR managers when they should have been backed by the board.

Plus I don't think as a QPR manager he was half as bad as some fans make out, especially when you look at the squad of players he had to deal with.

Good luck Chris.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Chris Ramsey gone on 10:24 - Jan 9 with 6789 viewsBlue_Castello

Chris Ramsey gone on 09:50 - Jan 9 by Northernr

We really like to do it with managers. Then the manager leaves, a new manager comes in, it doesn't get better, but instead of wandering why that is, we just start on the new manager. You're already seeing it with Cifuentes, who's inherited the worst situation and team at QPR that I've ever known )possibly apart from the one Ian Holloway picked up first time around).

Things have got worse since Les left, so now it's Hoos, and you're starting to see Belk as well.

Simple facts are these... You've got nigh on 200 staff, significantly more than similar clubs to us in this league (Millwall), and at the last count the wage bill was well in excess of £20m. For that we've got the worst team in the league, we've fcked the budget and our recruitment, and our academy is producing nothing.

So... people have to go. Lots of people, because we can't afford them, and because they haven't done their job well enough. But, if we don't sort out why they failed and why we keep failing, the structure and the culture, then they'll just be replaced with more people who will fail, and a few years down the line whoever's running the academy instead of Chris Ramsey will get the push and there'll be another thread on here saying "good".

Exactly sadly we have to compare ourselves to Millwall who are a club of the same size and status as our club, recently somebody posted on here how many fewer staff they have on their books,they appear to be running an Academy system with less staff.

I don't think any of us advocate redundancies in this current financial climate but our clubs finances are precarious and they need to be balanced better, getting rid of Chris who I'm sure has done a good job frees up budget and every position should be reviewed, there is probably some duplication for starters and bottom line we can't afford staffing levels of Premiership teams with our finances.
[Post edited 9 Jan 10:27]
Chris Ramsey gone on 10:59 - Jan 9 with 6631 viewsTK1

Chris Ramsey gone on 09:50 - Jan 9 by BrianMcCarthy

I wasn't suggesting, that, Ned. I've posted above my thoughts on Ramsey.

I thought it was good info on Kolli as much as anything.

Yes, Kolli is an 18 year-old who has graduated to the first team-squad from the lowest age group, coveted by other teams higher up the pyramid. This is one example of Ramsey's valuable work. He's almost entirely responsible for Eze's development at the club from habitual reject to 1st team player, then a £20 million sale. This was not happening before he and his team were here. The club grew players of Championship value such as Dieng, Eze, Chair, BOS, Manning - contracts and sales not being managed properly was not his role. There's a huge vacuum at the top of the club which continually sabotages that work and the entire culture of the club. Nevertheless there's Armstrong and Kolli who've broken through excitingly (and Kakay, less excitingly). This just didn't happen in the 00s or early 10s.

There are lots of clubs who do this much better than us, but they have much better boards of directors. Confucius says: when you habitually pee in the wind, you are eventually covered in pss.

Without a plan or a replacement for him, this is another absolute disaster for QPR alongside losing the DOF position. The three board members are not serious football people. But they are overseeing the closures of senior football positions without any public hint of a plan to replace or restructure. Chris Ramsey went to every game, home and away, at every level. The board do not even go to home 1st team games. This seeps into the club's culture. We'll be listening to horror stories about this from ex-players on podcasts in five years.

Unless there is some kind of new broom approaching at the top of the club, this is bad news. And if there isn't a new CEO and/or DOF coming, then Hoos has to talk to the fans.
Chris Ramsey gone on 10:59 - Jan 9 with 6628 viewsdaveB

Chris Ramsey gone on 09:50 - Jan 9 by Northernr

Academy wise for the position we are now in you are right it's over staffed and thats where you make cuts it's the obvious thing to do

The why is the interesting bit and harder to solve. My opinion is the current structure in this country where prem clubs can sign who they like makes academies at our level almost impossible to make a success of, you get a promising kid they are gone aged 16 even someone like Kolli we almost lost before he kicked a ball in the first team. It's why getting those Eze, Chair types aged 17 and up are vital and we haven't done well enough in that area since those 2, they have been the exception which is a big part of where Les, Ramsey, Belk and co deserves stick as we didn't do that well enough or often enough

its very chicken and egg as if you do somehow get to the top table and win promotion you need that academy as it's a massive source of income, with that extra tv money you don't go out and sign Joey Barton etc you improve the first team to stay up but spend money on young players you can develop and sell on, thats when you can get the ones that are actually any good. You need that structure in place for it to happen though, you can't start from scratch like we had to when we went up both times.

If you look at Brighton they focus heavily on bringing in very good young talent, they have about 4/5 of the best young goalkeepers at the moment who will either play for them or they get money from either loaning out or selling, They have such a good reputation that they can even sell the crap ones for a few hundred grand, it becomes like a production line but you can't get to the prem and then try to do it and that didn't happen over night it's taken years of staying in that league to see the benefits of it, in other words it's bloody hard and rare for it to work long term

Thats a long winded way of saying being successful in football is quite hard
Chris Ramsey gone on 11:18 - Jan 9 with 6515 viewsSonofpugwash

Cheerio Chris.
It's been really,really average.

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

Chris Ramsey gone on 11:19 - Jan 9 with 6509 viewsbosh67

Chris Ramsey gone on 09:28 - Jan 9 by BrianMcCarthy

It's good info, though.

This contradicts that.

Sounds a bit like Eze but he didn't end up working at a supermarket.

However, perhaps we should be advertising for players at supermarkets given that Eze turned out to be fantastic. Could we use Nectar points to find a striker?

On Kolli, having watched him in some of the U23s or whatever matches they were I think he could be the real deal. Running from deep midfield and finding a pass or an opportunity is something he seems particularly gifted at. There are some Adel and some potential Eze traits in him, so I would be inclined to try and utilise him as often as possible because in this division or the one below he looks very handy.
[Post edited 9 Jan 11:20]

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Chris Ramsey gone on 11:22 - Jan 9 with 6487 viewsNorthernr

Chris Ramsey gone on 10:59 - Jan 9 by daveB

Academy wise for the position we are now in you are right it's over staffed and thats where you make cuts it's the obvious thing to do

The why is the interesting bit and harder to solve. My opinion is the current structure in this country where prem clubs can sign who they like makes academies at our level almost impossible to make a success of, you get a promising kid they are gone aged 16 even someone like Kolli we almost lost before he kicked a ball in the first team. It's why getting those Eze, Chair types aged 17 and up are vital and we haven't done well enough in that area since those 2, they have been the exception which is a big part of where Les, Ramsey, Belk and co deserves stick as we didn't do that well enough or often enough

its very chicken and egg as if you do somehow get to the top table and win promotion you need that academy as it's a massive source of income, with that extra tv money you don't go out and sign Joey Barton etc you improve the first team to stay up but spend money on young players you can develop and sell on, thats when you can get the ones that are actually any good. You need that structure in place for it to happen though, you can't start from scratch like we had to when we went up both times.

If you look at Brighton they focus heavily on bringing in very good young talent, they have about 4/5 of the best young goalkeepers at the moment who will either play for them or they get money from either loaning out or selling, They have such a good reputation that they can even sell the crap ones for a few hundred grand, it becomes like a production line but you can't get to the prem and then try to do it and that didn't happen over night it's taken years of staying in that league to see the benefits of it, in other words it's bloody hard and rare for it to work long term

Thats a long winded way of saying being successful in football is quite hard

Agree.

Brighton, and Brentford before them, keep coming up. Hoos isn't popular atm but he was right at the fans forum when he said the businesses Bloom and Benham operate give them access to stats and analytics that most other clubs in the world can only dream of.

A fairer comparison is Luton. There's literally no reason at all we can't do what they've done. They've got bigger logistical handicaps than us, a far smaller budget, and they've driven themselves out of it by sound recruitment and trading. They hired Blades Analtyics, who basically started that Twitter trend. We moan about strikers being expensive (rightly) - Morris, Woodrow, Adebayo, all of these people were available to us within our budget at multiple points over the last five years.
Chris Ramsey gone on 11:27 - Jan 9 with 6459 viewshubble

Chris Ramsey gone on 11:22 - Jan 9 by Northernr

Agree.

Brighton, and Brentford before them, keep coming up. Hoos isn't popular atm but he was right at the fans forum when he said the businesses Bloom and Benham operate give them access to stats and analytics that most other clubs in the world can only dream of.

A fairer comparison is Luton. There's literally no reason at all we can't do what they've done. They've got bigger logistical handicaps than us, a far smaller budget, and they've driven themselves out of it by sound recruitment and trading. They hired Blades Analtyics, who basically started that Twitter trend. We moan about strikers being expensive (rightly) - Morris, Woodrow, Adebayo, all of these people were available to us within our budget at multiple points over the last five years.

"We moan about strikers being expensive (rightly) - Morris, Woodrow, Adebayo, all of these people were available to us within our budget at multiple points over the last five years.

Which begs the question, if Ramsey's gone, why not Belk, too? We've been absolutely terrible on the recruitment front in recent times.

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

Chris Ramsey gone on 11:31 - Jan 9 with 6443 viewsWegerles_Stairs

One of the problems is that the majority of the players that have been coming through clearly aren't good enough for the Championship. By selling the idea that we could become self-sustaining, Les and co. set themselves up for failure. Of course it's very difficult to produce a conveyor belt of ready-made talent, and there have been notable successes, but it's the lack of joined-up thinking across the club's leadership team that has ultimately failed. Buy Bright for half a million, improve him, get him in the window but then employ a manager who benches him, so he lets his contract run down. Sell Charlie, but fail to replace him eight years down the line other than loaning him back when he was half-shot.

If we were regularly buying cheap and then selling players (the Brentford model), it wouldn't matter so much if the players coming through were mostly League 2 standard. But we've reached a perfect storm where, as Clive has repeatedly pointed out, Dykes gets injured and you're having to loan in Chris Martin because there's literally no one else. That's simply not good enough for the investment that has been made in the development set-up.
[Post edited 9 Jan 11:33]
Chris Ramsey gone on 11:40 - Jan 9 with 6406 viewsMatch82

Chris Ramsey gone on 16:00 - Jan 8 by dmm

I feel like I'm Mr Jones in Dylan's song 'Ballad of Thin Man' because something's going on but I don't know what it is. People at the top end are leaving and not being replaced and the wheels are coming off our season. Hoos' "...as we thoroughly rationalise everything we do..." explanation in the article tells us very little apart from he's trying to save money.

A club statement to the fans explaining where we're going is long overdue.

Ironically I think "as we thoroughly rationalize what we do" would fit very well as a lyric in Ballad of a Thin Man
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024