Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
FA Cup Replays Scrapped 12:05 - Apr 18 with 9947 viewsCamberleyR

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68844583

RIP The FA Cup

Well done the Premier League and Sky you utter thunderc*nts.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

FA Cup Replays Scrapped on 14:10 - Apr 18 with 1550 viewsR_from_afar

FA Cup Replays Scrapped on 13:09 - Apr 18 by Antti_Heinola

I do agree with you, I used to love multi-replays. But maybe because the FA Cup doesn't have the cache it once did, or maybe because we are so bad in it, I don't have much interest in it. i think the vast majority of teams want games to be done on the first go, and actually I think that might benefit some smaller sides. If we're arguing about the finances, how many teams have had a genuinely money-spinning *replay* in the last 5 years? A few? But hardly any, and in fact, far more teams probably lose money putting on replays with poor attendances. It is a bit of a shame, but I also think cup competitions should be cup competitions: you get one crack at it, not multiple cracks. When we beat Everton on pens in the other cup, it was fantastic - we'd have likely got gubbed in any replay.
If we're talking purely finances, then whoever covers the Cup (currently BBC and ITV) should be forced to be more interesting with their game picks. Maidstone should have been a live game the Round before they finally got on telly, for example, instead of one of the boring all Prem ties. In fact, all Prem ties should be banned from having full match coverage until Round 5. that TV money would be far better distributed to smaller clubs.

"If we're talking purely finances, then whoever covers the Cup (currently BBC and ITV) should be forced to be more interesting with their game picks. Maidstone should have been a live game the Round before they finally got on telly, for example, instead of one of the boring all Prem ties. In fact, all Prem ties should be banned from having full match coverage until Round 5. that TV money would be far better distributed to smaller clubs".

Good points. In the 18 years to March 2023, ManUre played 84 FA Cup matches. Guess how many of those UK broadcasters failed to pick up:

One.

Yes, one. Seems fair, NOT.

Back in January 2013, former Macclesfield Town chief executive John Harris commented as follows when a Manchester United game was picked for TV coverage over Town's game:

“When we beat Cardiff City here in the third round, the scenes at our stadium were magnificent and a giant-killing could be on the cards again. No disrespect, but is Manchester United playing Fulham more attractive to a football purist?"

“For us, that money, £135,000, would be massive, it would save our season after relegation to the Conference, which was a huge blow. If David Gill [United’s chief executive] is feeling generous one morning and wants to divert that money down the A34 to Macclesfield, it would be very welcome.”

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

FA Cup Replays Scrapped on 14:11 - Apr 18 with 1548 viewsWatford_Ranger

FA Cup Replays Scrapped on 13:55 - Apr 18 by loftus77

Was it a third replay for us against Forest in 1978? Epic stuff to a very young fan. 40,000 at the City Ground when Stan scored, apparently.

A real shame but a sign of the times. No surprise at all.

I was born the day of a second replay and my dad went to the game much to the anger of everyone but me. Set the tone early.
FA Cup Replays Scrapped on 14:17 - Apr 18 with 1518 viewsted_hendrix

FA Cup Replays Scrapped on 13:00 - Apr 18 by Antti_Heinola

What's it got to do with Sky?

It's my way of protesting against Sky and It's wrongful distribution of wealth, I'm not gonna go on and on about it as I've posted It before.
I was a QPR FA cup creep Years ago last Away game was up at Stockport (fck up that was).
I couldn't tell you who won the bloody thing last season, I honestly couldn't.
Sometimes I just wish they'd leave things alone.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

FA Cup Replays Scrapped on 14:19 - Apr 18 with 1510 viewsNorthernr

FA Cup Replays Scrapped on 14:10 - Apr 18 by R_from_afar

"If we're talking purely finances, then whoever covers the Cup (currently BBC and ITV) should be forced to be more interesting with their game picks. Maidstone should have been a live game the Round before they finally got on telly, for example, instead of one of the boring all Prem ties. In fact, all Prem ties should be banned from having full match coverage until Round 5. that TV money would be far better distributed to smaller clubs".

Good points. In the 18 years to March 2023, ManUre played 84 FA Cup matches. Guess how many of those UK broadcasters failed to pick up:

One.

Yes, one. Seems fair, NOT.

Back in January 2013, former Macclesfield Town chief executive John Harris commented as follows when a Manchester United game was picked for TV coverage over Town's game:

“When we beat Cardiff City here in the third round, the scenes at our stadium were magnificent and a giant-killing could be on the cards again. No disrespect, but is Manchester United playing Fulham more attractive to a football purist?"

“For us, that money, £135,000, would be massive, it would save our season after relegation to the Conference, which was a huge blow. If David Gill [United’s chief executive] is feeling generous one morning and wants to divert that money down the A34 to Macclesfield, it would be very welcome.”

It's another one of those 'football's not for us any more' moments. Because of course you and I would far rather watch Mac v Cardiff, or Maidstone, and find Man Utd v Fulham utterly tedious. But it's not for us any more is it? ITV sell advertising against the games, and know full well what audience they'll get for both. It's for the Mark Goldbridge generation, who consume football entirely through screens.
FA Cup Replays Scrapped on 14:33 - Apr 18 with 1451 viewsPlanetHonneywood

What would be funny, is if the EFL clubs didn't bother to enter the FA Cup!

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

FA Cup Replays Scrapped on 14:35 - Apr 18 with 1447 viewsLongRanger

Premier League ruined the FA Cup, such a shame, I remember watching all 6 hours of build up to the Coventry v Spurs final for example, helicopters over the buses on the way to Wembley, what the Cov kit man had for breakfast, watched it all. There were the 3 replays between Leeds and Arsenal in the early 90's as both wanted it so badly. Now I don't know what channel its on, totally agree with Antti that TV games should not be all Premiership until 5th round.
FA Cup Replays Scrapped on 14:40 - Apr 18 with 1439 viewsqprxtc

Won't be long before the League Cup is gone, then the FA cup will be truncated yet again and so on, all for the top six in that division above us. That will either become a closed shop or their so desired super f ucking league will come along.

Football begins and ends with QPR for me. Couldn't give a shi1t about any of it beyond that, including non league etc.

Even with Rangers its mainly of living so close by and having f uck all else to do.

Was a working class game once but as usual the working claass aren't allowed to enjoy themselves. The middle/upper classes take over and f uck it up. Because they have no class.
FA Cup Replays Scrapped on 14:40 - Apr 18 with 1440 viewsSilverfoxqpr

FA Cup Replays Scrapped on 13:32 - Apr 18 by Northernr

While the World Cup, Euros, World Club Cup and Champions League all rapidly expand into stodgy, bloated tournaments, played increasingly in the US and Middle East.

We all know what's going on here, who's driving it, and why. Completely unequal, uncompetitive competitive games between the haves and have nots, with rotating pitchside advertising telling you about the real quiz - Liverpool v Man Utd, Philadelphia, July 27.

League Cup will be ditched next, or become like the EFL Trophy where idiot scum like us are privileged to draw "Chelsea U21s" to "create more first team opportunities" for the thousands of teenagers they've hoovered up from clubs that would have given them actual first team opportunities.

Sick sport really, I have very little love for it any more outside of QPR.

Even as a general spectacle I find the Premier League largely unwatchable because of the omnipresent involvement of the VAR. I'll get into a game, a goal will be scored, 'fck me we've got a big 20 minutes coming up here' I'll think to myself getting ready to settle in, five minutes later some cnt with a laptop has discovered that somebody had an arse cheek an inch offside in 'the first phase' during which they brushed a defender who may subsequently have been impeded from getting to the guy who actually scored in 'the second phase' and therefore we can't have a goal for that. It's usually at that point I put The Hairy Bikers Mediterranean Tour on again.

I used to rabidly consume everything, every minute, every game, every channel. There were two Champions League quarter finals last night and I had 20 minutes of Man City on while I ate my dinner, then curled up with a book instead.

I watch every bit of Championship, but even that's basically so I can cover it properly for LFW. Those games often completely ruined by the refereeing, the gamesmanship, and the parachute payments. Leeds Blackburn Saturday, Blackburn goalkeeper standing with the ball in his hands for 30 seconds, a referee who sent Jimmy Dunne off for re-entering the field without permission and then scuffing up a penalty spot unwilling to do anything because "referees feel the punishment of an indirect free kick in the box is not proportionate to the offence, and is hard to set up and police anyway".

I reckon I genuinely watch more Australian rugby league than British football outside the Championship now, and as soon as that inevitably goes down the ten-match ban for an accidental clash of heads route the British game has taken that'll be me done with that as well.

"I have very little love for it any more outside of QPR" Amen. I've been sitting in my office today having to listen to so called Palace, Leeds and Ipswich fans banging on about Man City and Arsenal and the bloody champions league, I mean really, who gives a sh1t? Clearly I'm in the minority though.
Login to get fewer ads

FA Cup Replays Scrapped on 14:43 - Apr 18 with 1423 viewsPaddyhoops

Not really bothered if I see a cup final anymore. It’s just a jolly for the big clubs now.
Gone are the days when . Sunderland , Ipswich and so nearly us would win it.
Lost interest in football outside our bubble now.
Lots of my work mates profess to be big fans of West Ham , Tottenham, Liverpool.
Watch all the games on the tellybox.
Do any of them got to live games? . Not one of them.
FA Cup Replays Scrapped on 14:51 - Apr 18 with 1394 viewsWegerles_Stairs

First FA Cup Final I remember watching was 1981. No replays, no Ricky Villa goal (I realise they don't have replays in the final now anyway).
FA Cup Replays Scrapped on 14:52 - Apr 18 with 1396 viewsOldPedro

FA Cup Replays Scrapped on 13:29 - Apr 18 by OldPedro

This is the bit that annoys me:

"In its current format, the FA Cup has no replays from the fifth round onwards, but the FA says the move to eliminate them from an earlier stage has been made "in light of changes to the calendar driven by the expanded Uefa competitions".

Uefa launched the Europa Conference League in 2021 and the number of teams in the Champions League group stage will rise from 32 to 36 next season. Fifa has announced an expanded 32-team Club World Cup for 2025."

So basically, scrapping replays because 6 or 7 teams will be playing extra games in European competitions!!

Then, no doubt, a couple of those clubs will play weakened teams in those european comps because they need to make sure they finish mid-table in the Premier league

Extra mature cheddar......a simple cheese for a simple man

FA Cup Replays Scrapped on 14:57 - Apr 18 with 1354 viewsdaveB

FA Cup Replays Scrapped on 14:19 - Apr 18 by Northernr

It's another one of those 'football's not for us any more' moments. Because of course you and I would far rather watch Mac v Cardiff, or Maidstone, and find Man Utd v Fulham utterly tedious. But it's not for us any more is it? ITV sell advertising against the games, and know full well what audience they'll get for both. It's for the Mark Goldbridge generation, who consume football entirely through screens.

Be honest though when they have those 1st round games on of just lower league clubs does anyone watch them? I know from viewing figures they don't and when ITV or BBC show Man City or Liverpool the viewing figures are big so it's a no brainer

It's all behind a pay wall next year anyway so won't be an issue anymore
FA Cup Replays Scrapped on 15:02 - Apr 18 with 1342 viewsterryb

FA Cup Replays Scrapped on 13:25 - Apr 18 by CamberleyR

Haven't Sky over the last 30 + years helped make the Premier League the (IMO) force for evil it is today then?
[Post edited 18 Apr 13:26]

But they've not had any coverage of the FA Cup for many a year.

There are many things they are guilty of, but the scrapping of FA Cup replays is surely not one of them.
FA Cup Replays Scrapped on 15:11 - Apr 18 with 1289 viewsterryb

Something I don't understand is why they are continuing with replays for the qualifying rounds.

Personally, I'm all in favour of replays (multiple at that), but many a replay in the early stages of the competition results in the losing clubs making a loss. It used to be both clubs, but the prize money is definitely worth winning!
FA Cup Replays Scrapped on 15:25 - Apr 18 with 1237 viewsstevec

FA Cup Replays Scrapped on 13:32 - Apr 18 by Northernr

While the World Cup, Euros, World Club Cup and Champions League all rapidly expand into stodgy, bloated tournaments, played increasingly in the US and Middle East.

We all know what's going on here, who's driving it, and why. Completely unequal, uncompetitive competitive games between the haves and have nots, with rotating pitchside advertising telling you about the real quiz - Liverpool v Man Utd, Philadelphia, July 27.

League Cup will be ditched next, or become like the EFL Trophy where idiot scum like us are privileged to draw "Chelsea U21s" to "create more first team opportunities" for the thousands of teenagers they've hoovered up from clubs that would have given them actual first team opportunities.

Sick sport really, I have very little love for it any more outside of QPR.

Even as a general spectacle I find the Premier League largely unwatchable because of the omnipresent involvement of the VAR. I'll get into a game, a goal will be scored, 'fck me we've got a big 20 minutes coming up here' I'll think to myself getting ready to settle in, five minutes later some cnt with a laptop has discovered that somebody had an arse cheek an inch offside in 'the first phase' during which they brushed a defender who may subsequently have been impeded from getting to the guy who actually scored in 'the second phase' and therefore we can't have a goal for that. It's usually at that point I put The Hairy Bikers Mediterranean Tour on again.

I used to rabidly consume everything, every minute, every game, every channel. There were two Champions League quarter finals last night and I had 20 minutes of Man City on while I ate my dinner, then curled up with a book instead.

I watch every bit of Championship, but even that's basically so I can cover it properly for LFW. Those games often completely ruined by the refereeing, the gamesmanship, and the parachute payments. Leeds Blackburn Saturday, Blackburn goalkeeper standing with the ball in his hands for 30 seconds, a referee who sent Jimmy Dunne off for re-entering the field without permission and then scuffing up a penalty spot unwilling to do anything because "referees feel the punishment of an indirect free kick in the box is not proportionate to the offence, and is hard to set up and police anyway".

I reckon I genuinely watch more Australian rugby league than British football outside the Championship now, and as soon as that inevitably goes down the ten-match ban for an accidental clash of heads route the British game has taken that'll be me done with that as well.

Totally agree. For years now I’ve been ignoring anything football apart from us and the Championship and been perfectly happy.

Last night however, drinking with a few mates who i’d best describe as top six supporters, sat through Arsenal Bayern for my first 90 minutes of Champions League football since John Terry ‘hit the post’. Either the screen was speeded up or at LR we are playing a very slow motion version of modern day football.
FA Cup Replays Scrapped on 15:26 - Apr 18 with 1241 viewsToast_R

QPR seem to piss it away every season without the need for a replay. Whilst EFL clubs hold the cup with such little regard, can't complain really can they?
FA Cup Replays Scrapped on 15:28 - Apr 18 with 1237 viewsw7r

I don’t even bother with MoTD anymore, the PL is a bore fest, completely ruined as a competition.

I’ve only real interest in QPR, the Championship is a fun league though.
FA Cup Replays Scrapped on 15:38 - Apr 18 with 1201 viewsCamberleyR

FA Cup Replays Scrapped on 15:02 - Apr 18 by terryb

But they've not had any coverage of the FA Cup for many a year.

There are many things they are guilty of, but the scrapping of FA Cup replays is surely not one of them.

You miss my point Terry. They have IMO helped (with BT and the other broadcasters of the PL) make the Premier League the all consuming money obsessed beast it is today whereby the bigger PL clubs now see the FA Cup (and the League Cup) as just one massive inconvenience in their quest to qualify for the top four and the Champions League.
[Post edited 18 Apr 15:43]

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

FA Cup Replays Scrapped on 15:49 - Apr 18 with 1124 viewsdaveB

am obviously in a minority but I do enjoy watching the Premier League and Champions League. Some really good games and the quality of football is incredible at times, that Chelsea v Man Utd game the other week was brilliant

I don't like how the game has gone with money, VAR etc and it's obviously vastly over hyped but it's still a very good league to watch, title race has been quite good this year although think City will run away with it now

Think it's a shame about cup replays but might actually add to the excitement of it to decide on the day, whenever we are in the cup most of our fans are desperate to avoid a replay so can see why they have gone
FA Cup Replays Scrapped on 15:55 - Apr 18 with 1094 viewsderbyhoop

I used to watch MOTD regularly, but no more.
I used to know FA Cup winners since the war. Last 20 years I can't tell you who won, in which yea
Only time I each Sky Sports is when QPR game has been rescheduled.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

FA Cup Replays Scrapped on 16:14 - Apr 18 with 1028 viewspaulparker

The domestic cups are dead in this country which is a shame
Man Utd vs Liverpool was a belting cup time the other day and much better than the league game a couple of weeks later
I wouldn’t miss a game for love or money up until covid now I look at any games and just give it a quick browse before turning it off ,the whole premier league is geared towards foreign TV interest just look at these clubs and their season ticket prices the fans are just there for background now

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

FA Cup Replays Scrapped on 16:15 - Apr 18 with 1034 viewsAntti_Heinola

FA Cup Replays Scrapped on 14:19 - Apr 18 by Northernr

Agree with a lot of stuff here and on this thread.
VAR is the most boring invention in the history of the game.
Only having VAR for Prem teams at home in the Cup is ludicrous.

I will however, say things like: it's pretty common for people as they get older to think they don't like or want to watch as much football as they used to. That's both because football has changed but also we have and life takes over - as you mention with Goldbridge, there's a whole generation at least as obsessed with football as people roughly our age were when we were their age (even if some of them never leave their armchairs to watch it - but that wasn't unusual back then either (and in fact attendances accross the Prem and FL are far higher now than 30 years ago). And to that end, just blaming Sky for everything always seems a little unfair to me. What clubs do with their money is not Sky's fault. Nor is it Sky's fault they filled a void that other broadcasters couldn't be bothered with. We call them Sky Sports Leeds but those of us who watched football in the 80s will remember that The Big Match on Sunday afternoons only ever featured about 4 different teams. At least Sky do show variety. On top of that, all fans (not least our own) campaigned for owners to pour money into their clubs. We got what we demanded, and the genie got out of the bottle. Not saying it's fans fault, but I find all the blaming of Sky as a generic villain a bit tiresome - they have blame for sure, but there's a lot more of it to be shared around.

Bare bones.

FA Cup Replays Scrapped on 16:18 - Apr 18 with 1016 viewsDannyPaddox

Why don’t they just play the replay first. Problem solved.

(This post was brought to you by afternoon drinking)
FA Cup Replays Scrapped on 16:18 - Apr 18 with 1015 viewsAntti_Heinola

FA Cup Replays Scrapped on 15:38 - Apr 18 by CamberleyR

You miss my point Terry. They have IMO helped (with BT and the other broadcasters of the PL) make the Premier League the all consuming money obsessed beast it is today whereby the bigger PL clubs now see the FA Cup (and the League Cup) as just one massive inconvenience in their quest to qualify for the top four and the Champions League.
[Post edited 18 Apr 15:43]

I have had to watch all the FA Cup games this season for work (lucky me) and not one big team has phoned it in. Someone else on this page said it's the same teams in the final every year. It can't be both things. I think all the clubs treat it pretty well actually. League Cup - total agreement - but it's more the middling to lower Prem clubs than the top ones not taking it seriously, and that's idiotic.

Bare bones.

FA Cup Replays Scrapped on 16:22 - Apr 18 with 998 viewsloftboy

Foreign manager “ our boys are tired they play too many games”
Same foreign manager “ right we have a two week break ,we are going to fly halfway around the world for a couple of meaningless friendlies”
Fúck the lot of them, make the PL a closed shop, make the national league division 4 and enjoy good competitive league.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024