Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Short Corners. 17:04 - Aug 20 with 3685 viewsRANGERS4EVER

Do.
Not.
Work.

Poll: Who would you most like to see at QPR?

Short Corners. on 17:10 - Aug 20 with 2961 viewsBakes

Was hilarious when towards the end we got a corner near the R block and Chery went to take a short corner to El-Khayati, cue a meltdown in the stands and El-Khayati walked away shrugging his shoulders lol

With Faith And Courage Comes Glory

Short Corners. on 18:41 - Aug 20 with 2839 viewsLazyFan

I agree.
The whole point of a corner is that you get:

+ A free un-challenged cross into the box
+ No offside rule from the actual corner kick

So, as soon as you take a short corner (which really means pass it short for supposedly a better angle) you give up the advantages you have above instantly.

Also if a corner is played tactical well you can have 2 players on the goalkeeper to restrict their movement in the box to catch or punch the ball. Added to the fact that two players often have to cover the posts either side of the keeper and the pressure is really on.

This tactic possibility is lost on a short pass out as the defence then runs up to get the offside rule back in play and free up the goalie and whoever has been protecting the goal side of the posts.

Thus there is no point in the short one really ever. Just so called pro's think they can get a better angle for the cross. one has to then question how they cannot do this from a dead-ball with no one blocking them if they are such amazing pro's.

IMHO
There should be a league rule that forces you to take the corner and not short. This would end the short nonsense once for all.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

zzzzzzzzzz

Short Corners. on 18:42 - Aug 20 with 2836 viewsJuzzie

Ive always disliked short corners.
Short Corners. on 18:56 - Aug 20 with 2808 viewsessextaxiboy

Teams practice and practice conventional corners , how many goals do you see these days from a header direct from a corner kick ..not many IMO

To change the angle and get some movement mixes it up and is more difficult to defend against .

We were not great with them today tho
Short Corners. on 19:09 - Aug 20 with 2759 viewsTacticalR

That was one of a number of things we tried to do that felt 'too clever' and didn't come off.

Air hostess clique

Short Corners. on 19:23 - Aug 20 with 2724 viewsWatford_Ranger

We were playing a team of giants so it made sense to mix it up. The first one resulted in an excellent cross from Chery.
Short Corners. on 19:44 - Aug 20 with 2673 viewsfrancisbowles

We weren't exactly setting the world on fire with our long corners!

I thought we needed to try something different and it nearly worked until El Kayate lost the ball in the box.

One advantage of the variety is that you pull one extra player out but they have to put two out to mark them. You then have the choice to try short or long knowing that you should have less opponents in the box
Short Corners. on 20:50 - Aug 20 with 2604 viewsBrianMcCarthy

If the attacking team is going to struggle to win high balls into the box then they should go short. Drives me spare to see teams mindlessly lump ball after ball into the box for game after game and season after season. In most of my time watching Rangers this is what we have done.

Variety is good, but naturally effective execution dictates everything.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Login to get fewer ads

Short Corners. on 07:25 - Aug 21 with 2420 viewsDWQPR

And will someone suggest to JFH about sticking your quickest players on the half way line for opposition corners. Usually we defend corners well and the ball is cleared only for one of their players to pick Up the lose ball and send in another cross to defend. Having a couple of players on the half way line isn't just about breaking away, although that is an obvious advantage, it is also about defending and trying to stop that second bite of the cherry and if JFH cannot see that then I worry.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Short Corners. on 10:03 - Aug 21 with 2353 viewsDorse

Could be worse: Joey Barton used to take corners.

See? Every cloud, and all that.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Short Corners. on 00:06 - Aug 22 with 2206 viewsNorthernr

Should be a bookable offence and a free kick awarded to the opposition. Force of complete evil no doubt created by some Brendan Rodgers type with a degree in cntishness studies from the University of Ballache, Missouri.

As Lazy says, it's a chance to put a free unchallenged cross into a penalty area crowded with all your best headers of the ball with no offsides. Why you'd want to use it for anything else is beyond me.
Short Corners. on 01:21 - Aug 22 with 2161 viewsBoston

Corners, the original and still the best, 'long ball'.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Short Corners. on 11:36 - Aug 22 with 2071 viewsPinnerPaul

a) Barcelona never take a log corner do they?

b) If we were winning I doubt the subject would have got too much of an airing

Thanks God we have another game tomorrow

Smithies confidence is shot, Ned can''t play football, Caulker is back on the booze, Bidwell has fallen out with Caulker, JFH is useless and has lost the dressing room, if we had to wait until Saturday for the next game, literally everything and everyone at the club would have been torn apart.

Its all been said now, if you don't all behave I'm going to start the match thread for tomorrow (started the last two!)

Short Corners. on 11:52 - Aug 22 with 2055 viewsdaveB

I'm not a fan of short corners but the long ones were no good on Saturday so can see why they tried something different
Short Corners. on 11:54 - Aug 22 with 2052 viewsTacticalR

@PinnerPaul 'a) Barcelona never take a log corner do they?'

I believe that is a speciality of Portland Timbers.

Air hostess clique

Short Corners. on 13:02 - Aug 22 with 1993 viewsR_from_afar

Over many years, Rangers' short corner routines have driven me mad. I am struggling to remember the last time one resulted in a goal (for us LOL), but would be delighted to hear from one of you learned people that we have in fact scored some goals from short ones recently.

In my view, to make maximum use of the corner, the ball should go into the box straight away. However, it doesn't have to be a conventional high ball, it could also be the driven ball at shoulder height or the ball to the near post which is flicked on. Just get it in there. Frequently, unless you are very well drilled and perform your short corner routine really quickly, the defenders rush out and immediately snuff out any danger.

RFA

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Short Corners. on 13:20 - Aug 22 with 1972 viewspaulparker

Short Corners. on 13:02 - Aug 22 by R_from_afar

Over many years, Rangers' short corner routines have driven me mad. I am struggling to remember the last time one resulted in a goal (for us LOL), but would be delighted to hear from one of you learned people that we have in fact scored some goals from short ones recently.

In my view, to make maximum use of the corner, the ball should go into the box straight away. However, it doesn't have to be a conventional high ball, it could also be the driven ball at shoulder height or the ball to the near post which is flicked on. Just get it in there. Frequently, unless you are very well drilled and perform your short corner routine really quickly, the defenders rush out and immediately snuff out any danger.

RFA

last one I can remember was when we played Preston and lost 2-1 , a short one was played resulting in me shouting Noooooooooo you cannntss , then furlong jumped like a salmon to power home a header followed by a huge Yeessss and people turning around laughing at me

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Short Corners. on 13:24 - Aug 22 with 1961 viewsconnell10

Roller and I had our first domestic over the short corner routine!! Of course I was right and he was wrong!! 👍😄

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Short Corners. on 13:25 - Aug 22 with 1960 viewsrongould

Proper corners,the only way

In the past the great Gino Padula scored more than once directly from a corner.
That's the way to do it
Never seen the recopient of a short corner score.
Short Corners. on 13:41 - Aug 22 with 1943 viewsPinnerPaul

Short Corners. on 11:54 - Aug 22 by TacticalR

@PinnerPaul 'a) Barcelona never take a log corner do they?'

I believe that is a speciality of Portland Timbers.

Have you never seen the old log corner routine?
Short Corners. on 14:19 - Aug 22 with 1909 viewsA40Bosh

As there was so much gnashing and grinding of teeth over the short corners on Saturday I was sat there wondering what the point of them actually was.

The only thing I could come up with but could not be bothered to actually quantify was that it is a tactic to pull and additional defender out to the edge of be box and if the resultant short corner produces a cross, there are less defenders defending the cross and the resulting second ball if it drops in to the box. Not sure if it was used that way because their CB seemed to have our attackers in their pocket all game.

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

Short Corners. on 14:21 - Aug 22 with 1906 viewsdaveB

Short Corners. on 14:19 - Aug 22 by A40Bosh

As there was so much gnashing and grinding of teeth over the short corners on Saturday I was sat there wondering what the point of them actually was.

The only thing I could come up with but could not be bothered to actually quantify was that it is a tactic to pull and additional defender out to the edge of be box and if the resultant short corner produces a cross, there are less defenders defending the cross and the resulting second ball if it drops in to the box. Not sure if it was used that way because their CB seemed to have our attackers in their pocket all game.

I think the point is to cross at a different angle or pull defenders out of position, it probably results in a goal or a chance one in ten times it's tried.
Short Corners. on 14:28 - Aug 22 with 1898 viewsA40Bosh

Short Corners. on 14:21 - Aug 22 by daveB

I think the point is to cross at a different angle or pull defenders out of position, it probably results in a goal or a chance one in ten times it's tried.

Yes, ok that makes sense and then in that case, as most of our crosses from open play have not resulted in goals why do they think inventing that changed angle from a corner for a cross will make things any better?

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

Short Corners. on 11:00 - Dec 19 with 1517 viewsToast_R

Reared their head again yesterday, Cherry going short and ended up giving the ball away immediately. A team that struggles to get up the pitch with any kind of goal scoring threat pissing about short corners... Why?

That should be a weeks wages right there.
Short Corners. on 12:13 - Dec 19 with 1462 viewsfrancisbowles

Short Corners. on 11:00 - Dec 19 by Toast_R

Reared their head again yesterday, Cherry going short and ended up giving the ball away immediately. A team that struggles to get up the pitch with any kind of goal scoring threat pissing about short corners... Why?

That should be a weeks wages right there.

They tried something that they had obviously practiced in training but it didn't come off. It wasn't the only time a poor return ball conceded possession

Considering most of our long corners have been poor recently, I am glad they are trying a variety of options.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024