Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bidwell Why? 01:58 - May 2 with 4015 viewsLazyFan

For me he is a Left-Mid.

I can see what they were thinking. Back in the day we bought the Bard from Watford who was playing there as a Right-Mid. He could cross without beating his man and support the fullback. We converted him into an attacking FB who could also defend properly. It worked. One of the best RB to play in the hoops. The real key to complimenting his skills (crossing, tackling and heading), was he had pace. Lots of it.

So, I assume Les thought they could do the same with Bidwell. I get it.
Problem is he does not have the pace. So, he can get caught out by the pacey winger. The Bard would recover his position with a sliding tackle and using his pace. Bidwell does not have that pace so, he cannot do this and gets caught out.

Sometimes when you buy a player who you want to play in a different position works out, sometimes the experiment does not. No matter how expensive it was. That is the way it is.

I would use Bidwell as a sub for Left-Mid which is what he is good at and go out and I am afraid to say it but buy another LB. One with pace and that tackles well. But maybe as we have to do it on a budget might not be an attacking LB. But a pacey defender first.

We cannot just play Bidwell at LB just because we paid lots for him. That is the way it goes sometimes. He is not terrible but he is a squad player only for us. Robinson is injury probe so, we need a new LB. That is the way it is sometimes. He just does not have the pace we need.

zzzzzzzzzz

Bidwell Why? on 04:36 - May 2 with 3206 viewsozexile

I'm of the opposite opinion that he should play left back or left centre back like Clint Hill. He's never a midfielder for me.
Bidwell Why? on 06:18 - May 2 with 3175 viewsWatford_Ranger

Was a perfectly good LB for Brentford. The player isn't the problem.
Bidwell Why? on 06:43 - May 2 with 3157 viewscaliforniahoop

Bidwell Why? on 04:36 - May 2 by ozexile

I'm of the opposite opinion that he should play left back or left centre back like Clint Hill. He's never a midfielder for me.

I think we can only play him in a 3 CB system, at Brentford, maybe they held the ball longer and gave him more time to wonder into attacking positions, we are expecting him to carry the ball and he hasn't got the pace for that.
Bidwell Why? on 07:21 - May 2 with 3114 viewsjohncharles

The problem is that when Bidwell does get forward there's no one ahead to receive the ball. It's like the team has not planned for this surprise move. He stops just after crossing the halfway line, looks around and he's all on his own.

Strong and stable my arse.

Bidwell Why? on 08:15 - May 2 with 3047 views1JD

Bidwell Why? on 06:18 - May 2 by Watford_Ranger

Here we go again. It's the dark arts. It's the QPR way. We love to destroy a player. Insane drivel. Bidwell has been poor all season and is simply a poor player. Brentford were hardly sad to see him go, and now we know why. Stands off his man time and time again. And simply cannot pass a ball under pressure. But no..... its all Fernandes/QPRs fault he is so bad. Yeah right. Ridiculous.
Bidwell Why? on 08:53 - May 2 with 2976 viewsDejR_vu

Bidwell Why? on 08:15 - May 2 by 1JD

Here we go again. It's the dark arts. It's the QPR way. We love to destroy a player. Insane drivel. Bidwell has been poor all season and is simply a poor player. Brentford were hardly sad to see him go, and now we know why. Stands off his man time and time again. And simply cannot pass a ball under pressure. But no..... its all Fernandes/QPRs fault he is so bad. Yeah right. Ridiculous.

I think it's somewhere in between. He looks a very average player who was probably playing as well as he possibly could for Brentford. We've gone out and bought a player playing well without too much thought as to why he was playing so well and whether he would be likely to replicate it here. Now he's here, he's gone the other way and is under-performing, so looks really poor a lot of the time.

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

Bidwell Why? on 08:58 - May 2 with 2967 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Bidwell Why? on 08:15 - May 2 by 1JD

Why are you so angry?
Bidwell Why? on 09:10 - May 2 with 2948 viewsNeil_SI

I'm a fan of Bidwell's and think he'll come good for us. He's had a tough season for a variety of reasons, but mainly because he hasn't had much support in front of him and has been left exposed a lot of the time in both defence and attack. But, perhaps that's a testament to how highly the staff think of him and trust him to do a job without complaint.

He was one of the highest rated left-backs outside of the Premier League when we snapped him up, is an experienced operator at this level for his age and has experience of captaining a side. He has leadership qualities in him, so that's something I'd like to see progress in the future, because he should be able to work himself into a position where he has the opportunity to captain the side here when it becomes available.

The problem he's had all season is that he's been expected to do a lot of work up and down the line, and some of the passes to him in forward positions have been a bit of a joke, with balls being played right into the corner flag and not giving him any chance of getting to them. I've heard some groans from the crowd about this, but the quickest and most attacking of players would have struggled to get anywhere near some of the through balls put through to Bidwell.

He is more of a deep crosser anyway (just around the edge of the box) and has more than a good enough cross on him, but the key is to put the ball in the right area for him to deliver and not ask him to go on unrealistic overlapping runs. Those balls come at a time when he's had little defensive support in front of him too, so if you get those wrong you're even further exposed on the counter if you give it away.

Obviously he has had matches where his own form has been poor as well, and not helped overall by how shaky we've been at times at the back as a collective. But, hopefully with a season with us under his belt he can kick on next season and do better than this one.

Interestingly there's a lot of support for Jack Robinson to be the first choice left-back, but, currently, I think Bidwell is head and shoulders above him.
Login to get fewer ads

Bidwell Why? on 09:19 - May 2 with 2926 views1JD

Bidwell Why? on 08:58 - May 2 by BazzaInTheLoft

Why are you so angry?

because this idea that we destroy players is ludicrous. that's why.

ok with you?
Bidwell Why? on 09:21 - May 2 with 2917 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Bidwell Why? on 09:19 - May 2 by 1JD

because this idea that we destroy players is ludicrous. that's why.

ok with you?

I think giving yourself a stomach ulcer over a mild opinion on a football forum is ludicrous but each to their own.

Carry on mate. Have a nice morning.
Bidwell Why? on 09:32 - May 2 with 2886 viewsstevec

Was Lynch brought in as a left back, can't remember now.

Noticed a running verbal battle this season between Lynch and Bidwell, mostly directed at Bidwell. Hardly surprising it's all gone wrong.

Both flanks aren't good, but getting in a bigger quicker left back is essential. No idea if Bidwell could play left mid, probably best to clear out the other left backs, keep Bidwell on the bench as we need back up players like him.
Bidwell Why? on 09:32 - May 2 with 2891 viewsWestbourneR

He's at best an average Championship player - but in possession he is a problem.

Poll: Should JFH get the sack?

Bidwell Why? on 09:36 - May 2 with 2875 viewsterryb

Not according to Brentford supporters last week.

They couldn't believe how much we paid for him or how much we were paying him (this was obviously a guessimate). To a person, they didn't rate him.

His performances this seasson have made James Perch not the worst fullback/defender at the club. That took some doing!
Bidwell Why? on 09:47 - May 2 with 2855 viewsswitchingcode

Bidwell Why? on 09:36 - May 2 by terryb

Not according to Brentford supporters last week.

They couldn't believe how much we paid for him or how much we were paying him (this was obviously a guessimate). To a person, they didn't rate him.

His performances this seasson have made James Perch not the worst fullback/defender at the club. That took some doing!

Don't know who you spoke to most fans I know where not happy to see him go.Suggest some on here look at his record he was a solid left back and ever present,unless injured in a play off season and top ten finish in the championship.I admit he was a shadow of himself against us the other week but he is a good honest player who I believe will come good.
Bidwell Why? on 10:04 - May 2 with 2832 views1JD

Bidwell Why? on 09:21 - May 2 by BazzaInTheLoft

I think giving yourself a stomach ulcer over a mild opinion on a football forum is ludicrous but each to their own.

Carry on mate. Have a nice morning.

giving myself a stomach ulcer?

at least if you are going to call someone out for "over-reacting", perhaps you might be wise enough to engage in normal debate rather than resorting to belittling language such as the above, just to get one over on a fellow Rs fan.
Bidwell Why? on 10:22 - May 2 with 2789 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Bidwell Why? on 10:04 - May 2 by 1JD

giving myself a stomach ulcer?

at least if you are going to call someone out for "over-reacting", perhaps you might be wise enough to engage in normal debate rather than resorting to belittling language such as the above, just to get one over on a fellow Rs fan.

My mistake. Enjoy.
Bidwell Why? on 10:40 - May 2 with 2750 viewssimmo

Same as always. Perfectly capable championship LB that will be more than good enough for QPR if we played him at LB as part of a defensive minded back 4 with someone in front of him. In recent formations we haven't played anybody except him on the left side, he's been expected to both defend and attack in solidarity and had to deal with double ups.

I personally think given those circumstances he has done quite well and as Neil says above it's testament to the coaches that they trust him to do that - although I think it's unfair and stretching him too far.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Bidwell Why? on 10:55 - May 2 with 2731 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Only seen about ten games on the box this season and watched another few back on Player but I've been impressed with him more times than not. I agree with the point that, like Bardsley before him, he has often played without cover in front of him.

Even so, and allowing for a few bad games, I've been happy with the signing and would expect him to develop further next year at left-back provided we get the tactics and cover right.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Bidwell Why? on 10:58 - May 2 with 2727 viewskensalriser

Good to see we're getting the scapegoats for next season sorted early.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Bidwell Why? on 11:06 - May 2 with 2714 viewsbosh67

He also played defensive midfield for Brentford and was exceptional.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Bidwell Why? on 11:13 - May 2 with 2704 viewsdaveB

I think it's difficult to judge Bidwell when he's had no protection all season and is often faced two on one . He's too slow to stop crosses but overall he's got ability and can be improved
Bidwell Why? on 12:17 - May 2 with 2590 views1JD

Bidwell Why? on 10:22 - May 2 by BazzaInTheLoft

My mistake. Enjoy.

What an obnoxious human being you are
Bidwell Why? on 13:46 - May 2 with 2493 viewsbaz_qpr

Bidwell Why? on 09:10 - May 2 by Neil_SI

I'm a fan of Bidwell's and think he'll come good for us. He's had a tough season for a variety of reasons, but mainly because he hasn't had much support in front of him and has been left exposed a lot of the time in both defence and attack. But, perhaps that's a testament to how highly the staff think of him and trust him to do a job without complaint.

He was one of the highest rated left-backs outside of the Premier League when we snapped him up, is an experienced operator at this level for his age and has experience of captaining a side. He has leadership qualities in him, so that's something I'd like to see progress in the future, because he should be able to work himself into a position where he has the opportunity to captain the side here when it becomes available.

The problem he's had all season is that he's been expected to do a lot of work up and down the line, and some of the passes to him in forward positions have been a bit of a joke, with balls being played right into the corner flag and not giving him any chance of getting to them. I've heard some groans from the crowd about this, but the quickest and most attacking of players would have struggled to get anywhere near some of the through balls put through to Bidwell.

He is more of a deep crosser anyway (just around the edge of the box) and has more than a good enough cross on him, but the key is to put the ball in the right area for him to deliver and not ask him to go on unrealistic overlapping runs. Those balls come at a time when he's had little defensive support in front of him too, so if you get those wrong you're even further exposed on the counter if you give it away.

Obviously he has had matches where his own form has been poor as well, and not helped overall by how shaky we've been at times at the back as a collective. But, hopefully with a season with us under his belt he can kick on next season and do better than this one.

Interestingly there's a lot of support for Jack Robinson to be the first choice left-back, but, currently, I think Bidwell is head and shoulders above him.

I honestly don't get that Neil. Now I've not seen Bidwell anywhere other than at home for QPR and the away TV games and regardless of formation, who has been in front of him or who the manager has been he has IMHO been a weak link defensively and attacking wise. I'm sorry I just don't think he is very good, he's the archetypal old school least talented player on the pitch left full back. He has been a massive disappointment and had a very poor season. Robinson has looked ring rusty but that long throw alone makes him infinitely more useful going forward
Bidwell Why? on 14:05 - May 2 with 2453 viewsNorthernr

Bidwell Why? on 12:17 - May 2 by 1JD

What an obnoxious human being you are

Is there any need for that really?
Bizarre replies on this thread.
Bidwell Why? on 14:12 - May 2 with 2434 viewsterryb

Bidwell Why? on 09:47 - May 2 by switchingcode

Don't know who you spoke to most fans I know where not happy to see him go.Suggest some on here look at his record he was a solid left back and ever present,unless injured in a play off season and top ten finish in the championship.I admit he was a shadow of himself against us the other week but he is a good honest player who I believe will come good.

Thank you switchingcode & pleased to read this.

It was quite a few customers in a pub next to Kew Bridge who were my source.

I certainly would accept that he is an honest player, but boy he really does need to improve for us. A lot!

I also know that having decided he is not good enough, I will look for his faults rather than recognise his positives. This is what ALL of us do!

In fairness to Bidwell, there was one goal line clearance this season that he made that was superb. I can't remember who it was against, but it was either a match winner or saved us a point.
[Post edited 2 May 2017 14:23]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024