Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Southgate/ Terry Venables 15:10 - Jul 4 with 3532 viewsrunningman75

Looking at England having their best tournament in years is some of that down to Southgate making his England debut's under one of the best ever managers for England Terry Venables.
Southgate/ Terry Venables on 15:55 - Jul 4 with 3451 viewsdaveB

A lot of it is blind luck in appointing a manager suited to international football rather than a good club manager. They didn't seem keen to appoint him when he got the job
Southgate/ Terry Venables on 16:05 - Jul 4 with 3416 viewsLblock

If one man has gone up immeasurably in my estimation this tournament it's Sir Gareth of Southgate.

I don't think he's the most tactically astute but he certainly can read a game.
His demeanor has been almost perfect and he's clearly a fantastic man manager with this squad being all about unity and mutual respect. He's also doing a fantastic job rebuilding bridges with disenchanted fans (such as myself).

All that aside.... he looks fabulous in a blue waistcoat.

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Southgate/ Terry Venables on 16:17 - Jul 4 with 3392 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Not that Southgate has won fck all yet really, I think we QPR fans can learn a lesson about patience toward underwealming appointments and what a open mind can yield.
Southgate/ Terry Venables on 16:18 - Jul 4 with 3392 viewsswisscottage

Southgate/ Terry Venables on 16:05 - Jul 4 by Lblock

If one man has gone up immeasurably in my estimation this tournament it's Sir Gareth of Southgate.

His demeanor has been almost perfect and he's clearly a fantastic man manager with this squad being all about unity and mutual respect. He's also doing a fantastic job rebuilding bridges with disenchanted fans (such as myself).

I second this.

Prior to the tournament I've though of England and Southgate as somewhat ..'meh!' But since the start of the world cup he's done nothing but impress me.

This is now the first time in years that I look forward to watching England play with a young squad that only shows sings of getting better, built on the foundations of work he had already started back when he was involved in the England youth setup.
Southgate/ Terry Venables on 16:30 - Jul 4 with 3350 viewsCiderwithRsie

I think it's a lesson in the importance of getting basics right and professionalism.

Venables was a tactical innovator (Christmas Trees and all that) and a fine man-manager who set Gazza free and got the best out of a pretty talented team.

Southgate may not be a tactical genius and IMO doesn't have the pool of talent that Venables had, but he's made up his mind about his formation, he plays to the strengths of his best players, and he works on the stuff you can work on (e.g. set-pieces and preparation for penalties.) People notice England mainly score from set-pieces as if it's a weakness - but it's better than not scoring at all and easier to coach than flowing midfield moves.

And he wasn't afraid to dump prima donnas to get a team he could set his stamp on and build team spirit.
Southgate/ Terry Venables on 16:55 - Jul 4 with 3298 viewswillis1980

Southgate/ Terry Venables on 16:05 - Jul 4 by Lblock

I was more than underwhelmed by his appointment but I think that in a way this is greatest asset. Hes not a big name signature but has put in the hard yards and can deal with any nonsense from the media and fans given his history.

the blue waistcoat combo looks like something ellen degeneres has multiple variations of in her wardrobe
Southgate/ Terry Venables on 17:03 - Jul 4 with 3278 viewsJuzzie

Someone at work mentioned today that one thing Southgate has had that most other former managers have not is tournament experience (with the U21's).

OK, it didn't go so well but at least he will have picked up experience about how to deal with being away for a few weeks and all that goes with it as it has been highlighted that problems with previous Senior Team tournaments has been about what goes on during the non-game days.
Southgate/ Terry Venables on 17:20 - Jul 4 with 3223 viewsPhildo

He is articulate and well mannered. As a player he was likeable and he has said a lot about Venables influence on him. What is not to like really. It could have been Big Sam out there but for a pint of wine.
Login to get fewer ads

Southgate/ Terry Venables on 17:26 - Jul 4 with 3199 viewsMrSheen

I would give the credit to the managerial influence of John Gregory and Steve MacLaren!
Southgate/ Terry Venables on 21:02 - Jul 4 with 2993 viewsrsonist

Southgate/ Terry Venables on 16:30 - Jul 4 by CiderwithRsie

I think it's a lesson in the importance of getting basics right and professionalism.

Venables was a tactical innovator (Christmas Trees and all that) and a fine man-manager who set Gazza free and got the best out of a pretty talented team.

Southgate may not be a tactical genius and IMO doesn't have the pool of talent that Venables had, but he's made up his mind about his formation, he plays to the strengths of his best players, and he works on the stuff you can work on (e.g. set-pieces and preparation for penalties.) People notice England mainly score from set-pieces as if it's a weakness - but it's better than not scoring at all and easier to coach than flowing midfield moves.

And he wasn't afraid to dump prima donnas to get a team he could set his stamp on and build team spirit.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/englands-soccer-team-needed-help-so-they-stole-from

Seems to be paywalled on desktop and free to read on mobile but a very interesting read about Southgate watching NBA games and quizzing their coaches about their "set-piece" plays - pick and rolls, screening, ways to make space basically. Impressive stuff and clearly making a difference (as the article points out, Stones' second v Panama is uncannily basketball-y).
Southgate/ Terry Venables on 07:08 - Jul 5 with 2762 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Southgate/ Terry Venables on 16:30 - Jul 4 by CiderwithRsie

Good point about the pool he's picking from compared to that which his predecessors enjoyed, certainly up to Large Samuel.

Maybe that is a strength in that GS is picking with what he has, as opposed to crapping himself at the prospect of not having Gerrard, Beckham, Rooney and Lampard-Derby in the starting XI all the time. And, as you said, he's hoofed the prima donnas, which I think Large Samuel would not have done.

I was skeptical, thinking the FA had opted for a 'yes-man' they could control. But he's far from that and as everyone says, he's erudite and compared to many past and present national coaches, he's near-Statesman like.

Well done to the FA and Southgate then. May the momentum continue.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Southgate/ Terry Venables on 12:01 - Jul 5 with 2554 viewssimmo

- Dropped Rooney ,Hart and all the other'big names' that have failed already
- Didn't pick people based on big club bias, took young players regardless of where they played or how many caps they had
- Took players he trusted and knew from his U21 time and gave them responsibility
- Created an environment that's good for the newer/younger generation of player

These are things he did almost immediately, since then he's grown into this competition massively - plays good football, not afraid to move people into positions to suit a preferred system. He has been there already, he is passionate when he needs to be but otherwise is constantly cool, measured and oozing class. Everything he says in all of his press conferences or interviews is absolutely bang on. He's been exceptional up to this point and all the better that he was appointed on the assumption he was just another FA 'yes man'.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Southgate/ Terry Venables on 18:03 - Jul 5 with 2422 viewsonlyrinmoray

Mentioning Terry Venables. I always thought he is underated by QPR fans for what he did as a player and as a manager Possibly as he doesn't get many mentions on here

I remember him as a fantastic player and a class above a lot of our players then when he arrived from Spurs The clever free kick routines and chatting to the fans when coming across to take throw ins. I moved to Scotland soon after, so missed the managerial days The fact that he went onto manage Barcelona shows how good he was
Southgate/ Terry Venables on 19:01 - Jul 5 with 2382 viewsEsox_Lucius

Never underestimated by me, either as a player or a manager. I rate him higher than Sexton just because most of that team was inherited from Jago albeit he put the finishing touches to it. It was a sad day for QPR when Barca came calling for both him and Allan Harris.

The grass is always greener.

Southgate/ Terry Venables on 23:04 - Jul 5 with 2265 viewsbosh67

Win or lose on Saturday Southgate has been hugely impressive and I think we will go from strength to strength under him over the years ahead.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024