Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
We Always Were The Irish Club in London 23:23 - Mar 17 with 6980 viewsBrianMcCarthy

With thanks to the excellent Jack Supple.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

We Always Were The Irish Club in London on 23:44 - Mar 17 with 3782 viewsted_hendrix

Can't argue with them there facts Brian but my good mate on the buildings back in the Seventy's was born and raised in County Clare and absolutely Millwall through and through, We'd meet outside LR or Cold Blow Lane have a couple of swift pints go in our respective 'ends' meet up afterwards get pissed rotten and go home to our respective wives and get a bollocking.
The results back then somehow never seemed to matter that much.
Paddy went 'home' years ago.
Halcyon Days.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

We Always Were The Irish Club in London on 23:56 - Mar 17 with 3752 viewsBrianMcCarthy

We Always Were The Irish Club in London on 23:44 - Mar 17 by ted_hendrix

Can't argue with them there facts Brian but my good mate on the buildings back in the Seventy's was born and raised in County Clare and absolutely Millwall through and through, We'd meet outside LR or Cold Blow Lane have a couple of swift pints go in our respective 'ends' meet up afterwards get pissed rotten and go home to our respective wives and get a bollocking.
The results back then somehow never seemed to matter that much.
Paddy went 'home' years ago.
Halcyon Days.

Lovely stuff, Ted. And, of course, I get your point.

My post was tongue in cheek of course.

I'm English-born, and Irish by descent (I fell from the top of Blarney Castle). But I love that Rangers are a mixture of everything. Before Arsenal had that 70's Irish team, it was Rangers who were the team that Irish immigrants went to, and I'm happy about that. It stirs something in me.

We Always Were The Irish Club in London on 00:02 - Mar 18 with 3716 viewsBoston

We Always Were The Irish Club in London on 23:56 - Mar 17 by BrianMcCarthy

I'm English-born, and Irish by descent (I fell from the top of Blarney Castle). But I love that Rangers are a mixture of everything. Before Arsenal had that 70's Irish team, it was Rangers who were the team that Irish immigrants went to, and I'm happy about that. It stirs something in me.

Hate to say this Brian but..one of Chelsea's solid firms was Kilburn.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

We Always Were The Irish Club in London on 00:07 - Mar 18 with 3698 viewsBoston

From the expat community know nuffink chatter group...I'm told that Rangers, yes our Rangers, are the fifth most followed club in the Irish Republic. I kinda think, from first hand experience, that that is pretty close to the mark.

We Always Were The Irish Club in London on 00:07 - Mar 18 with 3696 viewsted_hendrix

I know that Brian I was just reminiscing about the Millwall games of old, I always seem to remember and think about Paddy and the old days whenever we play Millwall, we were bloody good mates.
I loved the old times and the of course the craic.
Long gone now.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

We Always Were The Irish Club in London on 00:11 - Mar 18 with 3683 viewsSydneyRs

Plenty of Irish around the bush in those days and in nearby Harlesden, Cricklewood, Kilburn etc. We were the local team for many and of course being brilliant in the 70s would also have helped.

My dad used to go regularly (we lived in Harlesden) and took me to my first game in the late 70s. By then he wasn't going as often, no doubt due to the fact that the financial impact of young kids on the family budget, as I have now discovered myself, is significant.
We Always Were The Irish Club in London on 00:11 - Mar 18 with 3668 viewsBoston

SHUT UP

We Always Were The Irish Club in London on 00:18 - Mar 18 with 3659 viewsBrianMcCarthy

We Always Were The Irish Club in London on 00:02 - Mar 18 by Boston

Hate to say this Brian but..one of Chelsea's solid firms was Kilburn.

I agree. My family ran/managed/owned pubs in the area in the 80's. But Chelsea hated the Irish, and our pubs were targeted by Chelsea and Combat 18 and the NF on the big days - Internationals, Holidays, Cup Finals - unless we defended them, which we did. I found the while thing depressing, Christ, they hated us. The strange thing was that our pubs were the only Irish pubs that wouldn't play an Irish Anthem. Or any anthem.

Login to get fewer ads

We Always Were The Irish Club in London on 00:30 - Mar 18 with 3623 viewsBoston

We Always Were The Irish Club in London on 00:18 - Mar 18 by BrianMcCarthy

I agree. My family ran/managed/owned pubs in the area in the 80's. But Chelsea hated the Irish, and our pubs were targeted by Chelsea and Combat 18 and the NF on the big days - Internationals, Holidays, Cup Finals - unless we defended them, which we did. I found the while thing depressing, Christ, they hated us. The strange thing was that our pubs were the only Irish pubs that wouldn't play an Irish Anthem. Or any anthem.

Sometimes squire, we can all be a little too sensitive.

We Always Were The Irish Club in London on 00:30 - Mar 18 with 3628 viewsBrianMcCarthy

We Always Were The Irish Club in London on 00:30 - Mar 18 by Boston

Sometimes squire, we can all be a little too sensitive.

Sing it.

We Always Were The Irish Club in London on 00:41 - Mar 18 with 3609 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

I grew up in Kilburn and all the Irish families were either QPR or Arsenal.

Arsenal I understood because of the trophy winning Jennings, Brady, O’Leary, Stapleton, Rice, etc but never got why they attached themselves to us because other than Givens and maybe McDonald from the North we never really had many well known Irish players did we?

I think I told this story but it was an Irish family that got me into the Rs.
We Always Were The Irish Club in London on 00:54 - Mar 18 with 3591 viewsBrianMcCarthy

We Always Were The Irish Club in London on 00:41 - Mar 18 by BazzaInTheLoft

I grew up in Kilburn and all the Irish families were either QPR or Arsenal.

Arsenal I understood because of the trophy winning Jennings, Brady, O’Leary, Stapleton, Rice, etc but never got why they attached themselves to us because other than Givens and maybe McDonald from the North we never really had many well known Irish players did we?

I think I told this story but it was an Irish family that got me into the Rs.

Well, I think we were the Club of Choice for Irish people before Arsenal scouted all those great Irish players and sucked all the Irish fans away. Mostly because there was lots of Irish people in West London.

My Dad and all his friends were season ticket holders in the late 60's and early 70's. Rangers welcomed Irish supporters whereas you'd have to hide your Irish accent at most clubs. That included Arsenal, who scared away and attacked many Irish fans in the 60's. That changed in the 70's and they even had a delightfully named Paddy's Corner on the left of the North Bank.

Nice of them.

We Always Were The Irish Club in London on 07:31 - Mar 18 with 3429 viewsdistortR

We Always Were The Irish Club in London on 00:18 - Mar 18 by BrianMcCarthy

bloody come over here, open pubs, sell us beer, provide us with entertainment...........how very dare you.
We Always Were The Irish Club in London on 07:48 - Mar 18 with 3401 viewsPaddyhoops

We Always Were The Irish Club in London on 00:11 - Mar 18 by Boston

SHUT UP

Dunphy, a good footballer not a great one!!
Irelands pundit marmite!!
We Always Were The Irish Club in London on 10:14 - Mar 18 with 3259 viewshovehoop

We Always Were The Irish Club in London on 00:54 - Mar 18 by BrianMcCarthy

Well, I think we were the Club of Choice for Irish people before Arsenal scouted all those great Irish players and sucked all the Irish fans away. Mostly because there was lots of Irish people in West London.

My Dad and all his friends were season ticket holders in the late 60's and early 70's. Rangers welcomed Irish supporters whereas you'd have to hide your Irish accent at most clubs. That included Arsenal, who scared away and attacked many Irish fans in the 60's. That changed in the 70's and they even had a delightfully named Paddy's Corner on the left of the North Bank.

Nice of them.

Brother and I grew up on Willesden Lane, down the road from Kilburn. And schooled in Ladbroke Grove. We were Rangers but most family members followed Arsenal. We live on the coast nowadays but on a side note, it's easy to forget how many Irish lived in Kilburn and thereabouts at the time. We were 'forced' to attend Quex Road mass each week until old enough to give it a miss. I remember reading something like 10k (mostly Irish) attended Sunday mass there. They had to open the side hall and give extra services. And sometimes the smell of drink and farts in the church pews was overwhelming.

I often visited grandparents in Camden Town and that part of London had lots of Irish too. They took me to the North Bank as a youngster but that wasn't enough to distract from the R's. And as was already mentioned - we were bloody good back then.
We Always Were The Irish Club in London on 10:25 - Mar 18 with 3227 viewsT_Block

Waddock played Ireland as well .If you check I reckon you could hit 20 players in the 70's and 80's
We Always Were The Irish Club in London on 10:37 - Mar 18 with 3207 viewsKonk

I would have thought it had to be between you and Arsenal. Hammersmith, the Bush, Acton, Kilburn, Willesden, Cricklewood, Harlesden etc all big Irish areas in the past. As for Arsenal - tons of Irish in Islington, Camden and Hackney, as well as all those Irish players in the 70's/80's. Quite a lot of Irish in Edmonton, Tottenham and the Lea Valley too owing to all the manufacturing jobs that used to be there in the 60's-70's. I know quite a few Spurs fans from Irish families. I hadn't really thought of South-East London having a lot of Irish folk, but I've worked with a fair few 2nd generation Irish from Deptford/New Cross/Bermondsey too.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

We Always Were The Irish Club in London on 10:52 - Mar 18 with 3172 viewsrsonist

We Always Were The Irish Club in London on 07:48 - Mar 18 by Paddyhoops

Dunphy, a good footballer not a great one!!
Irelands pundit marmite!!

Think we can all agree with him when Rod Liddle criticises Dykes though.
We Always Were The Irish Club in London on 11:45 - Mar 18 with 3076 viewsTheChef

We Always Were The Irish Club in London on 10:37 - Mar 18 by Konk

I would have thought it had to be between you and Arsenal. Hammersmith, the Bush, Acton, Kilburn, Willesden, Cricklewood, Harlesden etc all big Irish areas in the past. As for Arsenal - tons of Irish in Islington, Camden and Hackney, as well as all those Irish players in the 70's/80's. Quite a lot of Irish in Edmonton, Tottenham and the Lea Valley too owing to all the manufacturing jobs that used to be there in the 60's-70's. I know quite a few Spurs fans from Irish families. I hadn't really thought of South-East London having a lot of Irish folk, but I've worked with a fair few 2nd generation Irish from Deptford/New Cross/Bermondsey too.

Yeah I'd say it's between us and Arsenal. But ultimately Arsenal to have more, just because they've been more successful and always been in the top division.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

We Always Were The Irish Club in London on 11:47 - Mar 18 with 3068 viewsdoogi10

givens was a big pull.got the irish in
We Always Were The Irish Club in London on 11:55 - Mar 18 with 3039 viewsEsox_Lucius

The quality of the Guinness in The Queens Head back then didn't hurt either. My brothers and myself used to know a few Mags supporters in there too who looked forward to getting in there before games with us.

The grass is always greener.

We Always Were The Irish Club in London on 12:10 - Mar 18 with 3014 viewsPhildo

I brought a Belfast mate to a game a few years ago and walking in he was reading all the Irish surnames on the seats and said it was like being at Croker
We Always Were The Irish Club in London on 12:45 - Mar 18 with 2953 viewsizlingtonhoop

https://www.irishpost.com/sport/englands-top-ten-irish-football-teams-22781
We Always Were The Irish Club in London on 12:50 - Mar 18 with 2928 viewsrsonist

We Always Were The Irish Club in London on 12:45 - Mar 18 by izlingtonhoop

Spurs director: “The trouble with you is that you think you know all the answers.”

Blanchflower: “Ah, God love you, you don’t even know the questions.”

New LFW tagline?
We Always Were The Irish Club in London on 12:52 - Mar 18 with 2923 viewsBrianMcCarthy

We Always Were The Irish Club in London on 12:45 - Mar 18 by izlingtonhoop

That's very well written. Thanks for posting.

Chelsea in the Top Ten, though? Hmmm...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024