Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Coronavirus 10:39 - Mar 4 with 75101 viewselectricblue

With the spread of this illness what are the chances of games getting called postponed and the season not being completed.....

What would the financial knock on effect be to lower league clubs.....

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

Coronavirus on 17:57 - Mar 12 with 3033 viewsPlattyswrinklynuts

Coronavirus on 17:33 - Mar 12 by D_Alien

I could be mistaken, but didn't the Budget make provision to alleviate cashflow issues for businesses during the peak of the outbreak?

They did, but the perilous state of some clubs finances could be the determining factor. I can’t see the government fully recompensing any business in full, at best their measures would be a sticking plaster to cover only the most basic financial outlay, possibly NI waivers/ business rate holidays etc. The cynic in me wouldn’t put it past our banks to pull the rug on some companies (& clubs) who have been sailing too close to the edge for a while now... it wouldn’t be immediate because of bad publicity but rather a slow death over time when the fuss has died down.
Many smaller clubs live hand to mouth as it is, any lost gate revenue could be fatal. Ironically, the bigger the club (& debt), the more likely you are to get an extension on your credit!! The “too big to fail” syndrome.
Coronavirus on 18:00 - Mar 12 with 3021 viewsblackdogblue

WTF... Boris (Winston Churchill) Johnson...

What planet is he on? .. carry on regardless.. most countries are on lock down, the graph of cases is doubling daily & looks better than any KPI I see at work ....

Latest advice is if you have a cough, self isolate for a week.. fooking really.. (cough,cough) then end of next week 2 weeks school closures...

Stop being a Trump puppet & give us 2 weeks off (sorry working from home), shut the schools & stop it spreading...

Poll: Prediction League ... Continue or have a World Cup Break?

Coronavirus on 18:27 - Mar 12 with 2958 views49thseason

Coronavirus on 17:51 - Mar 12 by love_the_dale

Re "you can go outside as much as you like as the virus isn't airborne." You cannot be serious!! This illustrates the problem with social media ...

It isnt airborne as such, its transmitted from person to person or from surfaces that someone has coughed on or touched after sneezing. The only airborne element is the droplets travelling through the air for a few feet as a,result of a sneeze or cough
Below is advice from the US centre for communicative diseases
here is a comment from an epidemiologist at Chicago University .
How does the COVID-19 spread?
This virus is really transmissible and can spread easily from person to person even before a person develops symptoms. It’s carried on respiratory droplets when we talk, sneeze, and cough and these can land on surfaces or in someone’s mouth or nose. When it comes to respiratory droplets, 6 feet is the magic distance. That’s how far these tiny, infected droplets can travel. Being within 6 feet of someone who is sick can get you or your personal space contaminated with COVID-19.

When droplets land on surfaces, we can pick them up with our hands and transfer them to our eyes, mouth, and nose when we touch our faces. This is why hand hygiene is so important. Respiratory secretions (like snot and sputum) are also infectious so cover your coughs and sneezes.

So... you can go outside as much as you like as long as you dont sneeze or cough on anyone or leave your snot where people can touch it!
Coronavirus on 18:35 - Mar 12 with 2922 viewsShun

Coronavirus on 18:27 - Mar 12 by 49thseason

It isnt airborne as such, its transmitted from person to person or from surfaces that someone has coughed on or touched after sneezing. The only airborne element is the droplets travelling through the air for a few feet as a,result of a sneeze or cough
Below is advice from the US centre for communicative diseases
here is a comment from an epidemiologist at Chicago University .
How does the COVID-19 spread?
This virus is really transmissible and can spread easily from person to person even before a person develops symptoms. It’s carried on respiratory droplets when we talk, sneeze, and cough and these can land on surfaces or in someone’s mouth or nose. When it comes to respiratory droplets, 6 feet is the magic distance. That’s how far these tiny, infected droplets can travel. Being within 6 feet of someone who is sick can get you or your personal space contaminated with COVID-19.

When droplets land on surfaces, we can pick them up with our hands and transfer them to our eyes, mouth, and nose when we touch our faces. This is why hand hygiene is so important. Respiratory secretions (like snot and sputum) are also infectious so cover your coughs and sneezes.

So... you can go outside as much as you like as long as you dont sneeze or cough on anyone or leave your snot where people can touch it!

That's the same with all airborne diseases...
Coronavirus on 18:36 - Mar 12 with 2932 viewsDalenet

Coronavirus on 18:00 - Mar 12 by blackdogblue

WTF... Boris (Winston Churchill) Johnson...

What planet is he on? .. carry on regardless.. most countries are on lock down, the graph of cases is doubling daily & looks better than any KPI I see at work ....

Latest advice is if you have a cough, self isolate for a week.. fooking really.. (cough,cough) then end of next week 2 weeks school closures...

Stop being a Trump puppet & give us 2 weeks off (sorry working from home), shut the schools & stop it spreading...

Did you listen to what they said when they explained why they weren't doing that. The real issue is in 4 or 5 weeks time. Isolating us all for 2 weeks now will not work as people will get bored and then start being active again when the Govt need them to stop. The press conference was all clear and sensible to me. Even the explanation why we shouldn't cancel mass gatherings just yet.
Coronavirus on 19:15 - Mar 12 with 2853 viewsSuddenLad

Beth Rigby, Sky News:

'Can you level with us Mr. Johnson. How many people will die from this virus" ?

The most stupid effing question asked by any journalist in a long, long time. Another pathetic way to try and sensationalise an already serious matter, at the same time spreading needless alarm. She may as well have asked him for Saturday's lottery results.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Coronavirus on 19:22 - Mar 12 with 2831 viewspioneer

Coronavirus on 19:15 - Mar 12 by SuddenLad

Beth Rigby, Sky News:

The most stupid effing question asked by any journalist in a long, long time. Another pathetic way to try and sensationalise an already serious matter, at the same time spreading needless alarm. She may as well have asked him for Saturday's lottery results.

more than 1 would have been an appropriate reply
Coronavirus on 20:07 - Mar 12 with 2730 viewsD_Alien

Coronavirus on 19:15 - Mar 12 by SuddenLad

Beth Rigby, Sky News:

It's par for the course. So-called journalists/presenters think it's their job to make themselves look clever by tripping up politicians (of all parties)

I've absolutely no doubt there will be people who'll have been guffawing over that - "You got him banged to rights there Beth" etc.

It's not serious journalism, but those who don't know any better take it as meaning BJ (or whoever) "isn't in control of the situation". There's even been posts this afternoon on here that reflect that mindset

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Login to get fewer ads

Coronavirus on 20:40 - Mar 12 with 2643 viewsDaleiLama

At least not everything surrounding this topic is a source of misery and humour is still alive and kicking on the front line

[Post edited 12 Mar 2020 20:41]

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Coronavirus on 22:31 - Mar 12 with 2479 viewsKenBoon

Mikel Arteta tests positive for it now.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51865442

Edit: Premier League are apparently going to have an emergency meeting tomorrow. Heck knows what the efl will do. Probably push it onto the clubs until the Premier League makes a firm decision it can copy. I tell you what, it's a good weekend not to be playing Bury FC.
[Post edited 12 Mar 2020 22:38]
Coronavirus on 04:39 - Mar 13 with 2337 viewsDiddyDave

Australia`s Prime Minister has "advised" against mass gatherings of 500+ people from Monday. Obviously this affects organised sport in a massive way,whether games will go ahead in an empty stadium will have to be decided.
Coronavirus on 08:51 - Mar 13 with 2189 viewsSaxonDale

Portsmouth v Accy off
Coronavirus on 08:58 - Mar 13 with 2171 viewsKenBoon

Coronavirus on 18:36 - Mar 12 by Dalenet

Did you listen to what they said when they explained why they weren't doing that. The real issue is in 4 or 5 weeks time. Isolating us all for 2 weeks now will not work as people will get bored and then start being active again when the Govt need them to stop. The press conference was all clear and sensible to me. Even the explanation why we shouldn't cancel mass gatherings just yet.

There was nothing clear about Johnson's performance yesterday. Thankfully he had a couple of experts there to convert his bumbled words into some sense. I hope the government can find someone with better communication skills to take his place (or to translate for him) when there's no experts there. We'll see how it ages. Many other countries are going further. I don't quite understand the people getting bored angle but we'll see.
Coronavirus on 09:05 - Mar 13 with 2149 viewsmingthemerciless

I think the season should be suspended. I would imagine that playing games behind closed doors would be financially ruinous for some lower level clubs. Same goes for Rugby League and Hornets. Maybe this would be a good time to start on the pitch refurbishment ?
Coronavirus on 09:06 - Mar 13 with 2136 viewsD_Alien

Coronavirus on 08:58 - Mar 13 by KenBoon

There was nothing clear about Johnson's performance yesterday. Thankfully he had a couple of experts there to convert his bumbled words into some sense. I hope the government can find someone with better communication skills to take his place (or to translate for him) when there's no experts there. We'll see how it ages. Many other countries are going further. I don't quite understand the people getting bored angle but we'll see.

"Thankfully he had a couple of experts..."

Jesus Christ, it's that type of idiocy that puts your posts on this matter even further into the "nonsense" category. The government is being advised by a wide range of experts. If they get it wrong, he gets it in the neck

Johnson isn't a clinician or scientist, with the language of someone versed in those matters. It's ironic that you complain about him "bumbling" when every single one of your posts thus far has resembled the ramblings of someone without a f*cking clue what he's talking about
[Post edited 13 Mar 2020 9:09]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Coronavirus on 09:42 - Mar 13 with 2064 viewsKenBoon

Coronavirus on 09:06 - Mar 13 by D_Alien

Jesus Christ, it's that type of idiocy that puts your posts on this matter even further into the "nonsense" category. The government is being advised by a wide range of experts. If they get it wrong, he gets it in the neck

Johnson isn't a clinician or scientist, with the language of someone versed in those matters. It's ironic that you complain about him "bumbling" when every single one of your posts thus far has resembled the ramblings of someone without a f*cking clue what he's talking about

WTF are you reading? I was commenting on him falling over his words. He is a terrible speaker for things like this. Stop reading things I am not saying. If it wasn't for the two experts there AT HIS press conference (at the table with him!) the entire thing would have just confused an already worried population. Are you suggesting Johnson is a good communicator? Thankfully they (the two experts on the stand) made sense and could answer some of the leading 'questions' from the press.

I am sorry if a healthcare professional wishes to ignore the lived experience of someone who is dealing seeing this first hand. Believe me it is very stressful. Thankfully I am not the PM and this is a Football forum and not the NHS website so it doesn't matter. I also note it's likely the Premier league will postpone this weekend's fixtures.
Coronavirus on 09:51 - Mar 13 with 2048 viewsmingthemerciless

If the scientists do get it wrong I know who'll be carrying the can and it won't be Johnson. I saw yesterday's performance and he looked like a man who's suddenly realised he's out of his depth.
Coronavirus on 10:01 - Mar 13 with 2022 viewsrochdaleriddler

Coronavirus on 09:51 - Mar 13 by mingthemerciless

If the scientists do get it wrong I know who'll be carrying the can and it won't be Johnson. I saw yesterday's performance and he looked like a man who's suddenly realised he's out of his depth.

Other scientists in other countries are not advocating doing what we are doing, I’m not saying our approach is wrong, but it could be. I dislike terms for the population such as ‘the herd’. This is not just a modelling exercise for a lot of people, it literally is life and death. Italy wishes it had acted sooner.

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

Coronavirus on 10:07 - Mar 13 with 1994 viewsrochdaleriddler

Coronavirus on 20:07 - Mar 12 by D_Alien

It's par for the course. So-called journalists/presenters think it's their job to make themselves look clever by tripping up politicians (of all parties)

I've absolutely no doubt there will be people who'll have been guffawing over that - "You got him banged to rights there Beth" etc.

It's not serious journalism, but those who don't know any better take it as meaning BJ (or whoever) "isn't in control of the situation". There's even been posts this afternoon on here that reflect that mindset

Peston the other day said Boris was working flat out on this , he may be but Peston doesn’t know that, it’s just his opinion presented as fact. This style of news ‘interpretation’ is a trend that needs stopping, as is the pre emptive news, as in ‘later today the prime minister will say x y and z’. I’d rather know what he did say, rather than what’s been sent to the media in advance.

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

Coronavirus on 10:18 - Mar 13 with 1960 viewsSuddenLad

I thought Boris was as clear as it was possible to be in the circumstances. This is entirely uncharted territory for the whole world, let alone the UK Prime MInister. His length of tenure thus far is irrelevant.

When a subject or question arose that required expert knowledge or interpretation of the subject, he deferred to the relevant expert to answer. He wasn't 'making anything up', he was giving as full an answer as was possible, based on information he had received and from discussions that took place at the COBRA meetings - at which the experts attended.

The graphs were clear, the predictions are based on the known facts. We are all at the mercy of the virus, whether Boris and his experts are spot-on, or whether they are wildly wrong.

Now wash your hands please.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Coronavirus on 10:28 - Mar 13 with 1936 viewsDaley_Lama

Coronavirus on 10:18 - Mar 13 by SuddenLad

I thought Boris was as clear as it was possible to be in the circumstances. This is entirely uncharted territory for the whole world, let alone the UK Prime MInister. His length of tenure thus far is irrelevant.

When a subject or question arose that required expert knowledge or interpretation of the subject, he deferred to the relevant expert to answer. He wasn't 'making anything up', he was giving as full an answer as was possible, based on information he had received and from discussions that took place at the COBRA meetings - at which the experts attended.

The graphs were clear, the predictions are based on the known facts. We are all at the mercy of the virus, whether Boris and his experts are spot-on, or whether they are wildly wrong.

Now wash your hands please.

England tour of Sri Lanka off.

The end is truly nigh🙁

Poll: DF in or out

Coronavirus on 10:37 - Mar 13 with 1913 viewsCockneyDale

Premier League, EFL preparing statements announcing suspension of leagues.

So if they extend the season (assuming Euros go back to 2021, as expected), then we probably won’t get a window in which to relay the pitch
Coronavirus on 10:55 - Mar 13 with 1859 viewsAncoats_Blue

This is causing havoc in my line of work. I'd imagine it's much the same for a lot of others in a service industry. I think a big lasting problem in the wake of this pandemic is going to be mass job losses. Very nervy about my own position. Obviously health comes first for anyone but I would like to be able to pay to feed myself when this blows over :/
Coronavirus on 11:36 - Mar 13 with 1793 viewsJames1980

Coronavirus on 10:37 - Mar 13 by CockneyDale

Premier League, EFL preparing statements announcing suspension of leagues.

So if they extend the season (assuming Euros go back to 2021, as expected), then we probably won’t get a window in which to relay the pitch

Could we not hold our collective noses and ground share till the pitch is finished

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Coronavirus on 11:41 - Mar 13 with 1786 viewskiwidale

Coronavirus on 11:36 - Mar 13 by James1980

Could we not hold our collective noses and ground share till the pitch is finished

Giggs available with the added bonus of rubbing the bury lots noses in it.

This is not the time for bickering.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024