Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Losing the playing identity hurts more than the threat of relegation 09:29 - Nov 8 with 8344 viewsZut_Alors

Not sure about anyone else, but I think this needs to be made loud and clear to those in charge. The Premier League journey was always likely to end at some point, but to do so playing such dreadful football is just depressing. We have become just another club.

I expected us to go straight back down when we first came into the league. Despite losing 4-0 to Man City on the opening day, we were still playing good stuff and I enjoyed that game in the same way I enjoyed the promotion season before it. The premier league is not intrinsic to our enjoyment of the game and I valued the playing identity and style over the league we are in.

With that in mind, I would give BB more time to see if he has plans to put some sort of cohesive tactical plan in place — because I can't see anything resembling a style at the moment. If there's no improvement, we need to make a decision because surely it's better to get back the style before all remnants of it are removed.
Losing the playing identity hurts more than the threat of relegation on 09:36 - Nov 8 with 5780 viewsBytholWyn

Excellent post, but even after just 4 games I'd be amazed if we returned to anything vaguely resembling the Swansea Way under Bradley.

Under normal circumstances you would want to give a manager at least 10 games to assess his capabilities. But such was Bradley's selection and tactical ineptitude over the past two games I wouldn't be at all upset if he got the boot now. With Frank de Boer available (4 Erediviie titles in a row with Ajax) what are we waiting for?
Losing the playing identity hurts more than the threat of relegation on 09:40 - Nov 8 with 5760 viewsPatchesOHoulihan

Yeah I feel similar - although been shot down by a few on here telling me they think I'm wrong. I honestly don't mind what division we are in. I'love keep going home and a few away. Was nice to St to the prem. it not the be all and end all. Just want to enjoy what I'm paying for again.

This is Patches O'Houlihan saying "Take care of your balls, and they'll take care of you."

Losing the playing identity hurts more than the threat of relegation on 09:46 - Nov 8 with 5742 viewsjasper_T

Even the record season under Monk I wasn't enjoying the football as much as previous seasons. Maybe if we'd qualified for Europe it would have seemed worth it.

Playing that way and losing is just depressing.
Losing the playing identity hurts more than the threat of relegation on 09:47 - Nov 8 with 5731 viewssherpajacob

Exactly my thoughts on Sunday, I would rather go down playing our way than become like WBA.

Paradoxically, playing our way is our best if not only chance of staying up.

It was so depressing seeing Mawson and others just launch it long in the direction of Llorente.

As for Bradley, I would say he's got until the Sunderland game Dec 10th at most to prove he can manage in our style. Previous successful appointments have all been about finding a manager that fits our philosophy, and not bringing a manager in and letting him dictate philosophy.

Remember we reverted back to our way, pretty much instantly against man city away when Curt took over last year.

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

Losing the playing identity hurts more than the threat of relegation on 09:49 - Nov 8 with 5716 viewsdickythorpe

Well when you look at Ki's non attempt for Manure's 3rd goal you'd say that we do look like a team that has no identity other than being a soft touch.
It's very depressing. All the praise we got in the first 2-3 seasons was hard earnt,and is now being easily replaced with painful analysis that we are very, very poor.
When you lose players like Michu, Bony, Allen, Williams and even Flores you have to replace with equal talent or more in the PL , plus father time is cruel (Britton, Rangel, Fab)- there is no hiding place.
Losing the playing identity hurts more than the threat of relegation on 09:52 - Nov 8 with 5706 viewsPegojack

Someone posted a U Tube the other day of our goal against Blackburn scored by Leroy Lita of all people a few seasons ago.
We just passed the ball for fun all around them, and it went from our keeper to the back of their net via what seemed like forty quick, one touch passes without them touching it. It really emphasized how far we have fallen.
Losing the playing identity hurts more than the threat of relegation on 10:02 - Nov 8 with 5665 viewsBytholWyn

Losing the playing identity hurts more than the threat of relegation on 09:52 - Nov 8 by Pegojack

Someone posted a U Tube the other day of our goal against Blackburn scored by Leroy Lita of all people a few seasons ago.
We just passed the ball for fun all around them, and it went from our keeper to the back of their net via what seemed like forty quick, one touch passes without them touching it. It really emphasized how far we have fallen.

Can you find that clip - because I can't. I desperately need to be reminded of how we once used to play - because it feels like an eternity ago.
Losing the playing identity hurts more than the threat of relegation on 10:27 - Nov 8 with 5591 viewsPegojack

Losing the playing identity hurts more than the threat of relegation on 10:02 - Nov 8 by BytholWyn

Can you find that clip - because I can't. I desperately need to be reminded of how we once used to play - because it feels like an eternity ago.

I'm not a tekkie but I'm sure someone will post it up for you.
Login to get fewer ads

Losing the playing identity hurts more than the threat of relegation on 10:40 - Nov 8 with 5553 viewsWarwickHunt

Losing the playing identity hurts more than the threat of relegation on 09:36 - Nov 8 by BytholWyn

Excellent post, but even after just 4 games I'd be amazed if we returned to anything vaguely resembling the Swansea Way under Bradley.

Under normal circumstances you would want to give a manager at least 10 games to assess his capabilities. But such was Bradley's selection and tactical ineptitude over the past two games I wouldn't be at all upset if he got the boot now. With Frank de Boer available (4 Erediviie titles in a row with Ajax) what are we waiting for?

Jenkins to stop sucking Yankee dick(s) and finally do something to justify his obscene salary.

Fat. Fücking. Chance.
Losing the playing identity hurts more than the threat of relegation on 10:44 - Nov 8 with 5539 viewsDafyddHuw

Losing the playing identity hurts more than the threat of relegation on 10:40 - Nov 8 by WarwickHunt

Jenkins to stop sucking Yankee dick(s) and finally do something to justify his obscene salary.

Fat. Fücking. Chance.

OP - we lost our playing identity when Monk took over. Nowt to do with the Yanks.

Going down will be a better chance of rediscovering it than trying to limp along in 17th place.
Losing the playing identity hurts more than the threat of relegation on 10:44 - Nov 8 with 5538 viewssherpajacob

Losing the playing identity hurts more than the threat of relegation on 10:02 - Nov 8 by BytholWyn

http://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/swanseacity/forum/181954/those-were-the-da

If you must torture yourself.

Losing the playing identity hurts more than the threat of relegation on 10:53 - Nov 8 with 5504 viewssherpajacob

Losing the playing identity hurts more than the threat of relegation on 09:52 - Nov 8 by Pegojack

Watching it again players involved in the move included, Taylor, gower, jazz and lita.

If they could play like that our current squad can.

Losing the playing identity hurts more than the threat of relegation on 10:58 - Nov 8 with 5479 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Losing the playing identity hurts more than the threat of relegation on 10:44 - Nov 8 by sherpajacob

http://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/swanseacity/forum/181954/those-were-the-da

If you must torture yourself.

The Joe Allen goal away at Durham that season was even better. We looked like Holland that day and not just because of the orange kit either.

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Losing the playing identity hurts more than the threat of relegation on 11:04 - Nov 8 with 5469 viewsPegojack

Losing the playing identity hurts more than the threat of relegation on 10:58 - Nov 8 by Brynmill_Jack

The Joe Allen goal away at Durham that season was even better. We looked like Holland that day and not just because of the orange kit either.

Freudian slip there, Brynnie, I think you meant Fulham.

But we probably will be playing in Durham before too long, against Hartlepool or Darlington.
Losing the playing identity hurts more than the threat of relegation on 11:12 - Nov 8 with 5448 viewsswancity

Some good points and its sad to have lost that style but we can get it back. We need the right manager and its not Bradley is it. Not sure what salaries Rodgers & Martinez are on and they both seem to be relishing new challenges but I would be doing everything possible to get one of them back. Everything possible. And if not, you then have to look at Eddie Howe and go down that particular list from there. There are dozens of young managers out there like these who have exciting fresh ideas but have a clear philosophy on how the beautiful game should be played.

Only an idiot would eat a turkey curry on Christmas day

Losing the playing identity hurts more than the threat of relegation on 11:46 - Nov 8 with 5382 viewsfather_jack

Losing the playing identity hurts more than the threat of relegation on 11:12 - Nov 8 by swancity

Some good points and its sad to have lost that style but we can get it back. We need the right manager and its not Bradley is it. Not sure what salaries Rodgers & Martinez are on and they both seem to be relishing new challenges but I would be doing everything possible to get one of them back. Everything possible. And if not, you then have to look at Eddie Howe and go down that particular list from there. There are dozens of young managers out there like these who have exciting fresh ideas but have a clear philosophy on how the beautiful game should be played.

youd swear we invented football the way some talk up the 'swansea way'

its a distant memory.

DRINK, FECK, GIRRRRLLSSS!

Losing the playing identity hurts more than the threat of relegation on 12:26 - Nov 8 with 5289 viewspembsjack

That shower of sh!t that was served up to us on sunday was the worse i can remember for a long long time. Clueless and passionate doesnt earn teams in a relegation battle points.
The board took a punt on a manager unproven in the premier league or any decent top flight club, and it looks like its fooked us up big time. At least FG could get a team to dig in.
Losing the playing identity hurts more than the threat of relegation on 12:30 - Nov 8 with 5269 viewsLeonWasGod

Losing the playing identity hurts more than the threat of relegation on 12:26 - Nov 8 by pembsjack

That shower of sh!t that was served up to us on sunday was the worse i can remember for a long long time. Clueless and passionate doesnt earn teams in a relegation battle points.
The board took a punt on a manager unproven in the premier league or any decent top flight club, and it looks like its fooked us up big time. At least FG could get a team to dig in.

Right up there with the first half demolition by Chelski under Monk and a couple of Laudrup's later offerings. There was one Europa League home cup game in particular where I remember being as bored as at any time even under Souza. But we'd taken our foot off the gas as there was less at stake after almost qualifying, so I suppose that's more understandable.

The transformation from Guidolin's last few games (S'ton aside) and last Sunday, Stoke and even Watford is stark and depressing.
Losing the playing identity hurts more than the threat of relegation on 13:48 - Nov 8 with 5101 viewsBytholWyn

Losing the playing identity hurts more than the threat of relegation on 09:47 - Nov 8 by sherpajacob

Exactly my thoughts on Sunday, I would rather go down playing our way than become like WBA.

Paradoxically, playing our way is our best if not only chance of staying up.

It was so depressing seeing Mawson and others just launch it long in the direction of Llorente.

As for Bradley, I would say he's got until the Sunderland game Dec 10th at most to prove he can manage in our style. Previous successful appointments have all been about finding a manager that fits our philosophy, and not bringing a manager in and letting him dictate philosophy.

Remember we reverted back to our way, pretty much instantly against man city away when Curt took over last year.

I agree with most of that - but I think you're wrong to pick on Mawson. I've been impressed with his distribution. His long balls tend to be diagonals seeking out wingers, or shorter balls along the ground to feet. Even when things haven't been going our and his way he's not hidden and resorted to pumping the ball long. I'm afraid the same can't be said of de Hoorn. If we want to play our way out of trouble then an Amat Mawson combination is the way to go. Not that I think for one second that Bradley has any intention of playing the possession game.

In a parallel universe Rodgers would have been re-appointed, we would have re-signed Allen, kept Williams and we'd be riding high in the league, playing an attractive brand of football. It's so painful to think that a few key decisions just a few months ago separate us from that entirely realistic scenario and the current debacle.
[Post edited 8 Nov 2016 13:53]
Losing the playing identity hurts more than the threat of relegation on 14:09 - Nov 8 with 5051 viewslondonlisa2001

Losing the playing identity hurts more than the threat of relegation on 13:48 - Nov 8 by BytholWyn

I agree with most of that - but I think you're wrong to pick on Mawson. I've been impressed with his distribution. His long balls tend to be diagonals seeking out wingers, or shorter balls along the ground to feet. Even when things haven't been going our and his way he's not hidden and resorted to pumping the ball long. I'm afraid the same can't be said of de Hoorn. If we want to play our way out of trouble then an Amat Mawson combination is the way to go. Not that I think for one second that Bradley has any intention of playing the possession game.

In a parallel universe Rodgers would have been re-appointed, we would have re-signed Allen, kept Williams and we'd be riding high in the league, playing an attractive brand of football. It's so painful to think that a few key decisions just a few months ago separate us from that entirely realistic scenario and the current debacle.
[Post edited 8 Nov 2016 13:53]

I thought on Sunday that Mawson flatters to deceive.

He is good with the ball at his feet, which makes him look like an accomplished centre back. But his defensive positioning was awful. I imagine his technical ability hid that at a lower level but not on Sunday.

Good footballer possibly, but at the moment at least, not a good centre back. It may be harsh to judge him like that, but given he's a starting player, don't know of any way to judge him other than as one of the underperforming members of our underperforming first team. I can't understand why Amat was dropped for him.
Losing the playing identity hurts more than the threat of relegation on 14:15 - Nov 8 with 5035 viewsBytholWyn

Losing the playing identity hurts more than the threat of relegation on 14:09 - Nov 8 by londonlisa2001

I thought on Sunday that Mawson flatters to deceive.

He is good with the ball at his feet, which makes him look like an accomplished centre back. But his defensive positioning was awful. I imagine his technical ability hid that at a lower level but not on Sunday.

Good footballer possibly, but at the moment at least, not a good centre back. It may be harsh to judge him like that, but given he's a starting player, don't know of any way to judge him other than as one of the underperforming members of our underperforming first team. I can't understand why Amat was dropped for him.

I wouldn't disagree too much with that, but on Saturday the main problem was with the full backs and the lack of adequate protection in front. I'm not sure either Mawson or de Hoorn can be blamed for any of the three goals.

Truth is there are no good options right now, so I'd rather go with a partnership that has long-term promise than one that doesn't convince on any basis. So, an Amat Mawon partnership seems best to me, but perservering with de Hoorn and Mawson would be Ok by me too.
Losing the playing identity hurts more than the threat of relegation on 14:21 - Nov 8 with 5025 viewslondonlisa2001

Losing the playing identity hurts more than the threat of relegation on 14:15 - Nov 8 by BytholWyn

I wouldn't disagree too much with that, but on Saturday the main problem was with the full backs and the lack of adequate protection in front. I'm not sure either Mawson or de Hoorn can be blamed for any of the three goals.

Truth is there are no good options right now, so I'd rather go with a partnership that has long-term promise than one that doesn't convince on any basis. So, an Amat Mawon partnership seems best to me, but perservering with de Hoorn and Mawson would be Ok by me too.

Oh, the full backs were woeful.

Kingsley seemed to have taken lessons from Taylor in receiving the ball, ignoring any space which opens up in front, and turning round and passing it back for no reason.

But Mawson and VDH basically said to Zlatan 'here's the pitch, we won't press you, so take your time and do what you want'. And by God he did. Singling out anyone I guess is ridiculous though, given that they were all utterly dreadful. Still angry at that performance.
Losing the playing identity hurts more than the threat of relegation on 14:38 - Nov 8 with 4986 viewsmonmouth

Losing the playing identity hurts more than the threat of relegation on 14:21 - Nov 8 by londonlisa2001

Oh, the full backs were woeful.

Kingsley seemed to have taken lessons from Taylor in receiving the ball, ignoring any space which opens up in front, and turning round and passing it back for no reason.

But Mawson and VDH basically said to Zlatan 'here's the pitch, we won't press you, so take your time and do what you want'. And by God he did. Singling out anyone I guess is ridiculous though, given that they were all utterly dreadful. Still angry at that performance.

Amat - VDH has been our best partnership, and it looked like it was 'jellying'. The current pair could easily have been part of a team that conceded 10 in two games.

Oh, and case no one else thinks to say it today. Just f**k off Bradley, you jerk.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Losing the playing identity hurts more than the threat of relegation on 14:40 - Nov 8 with 4980 viewscostalotta

Losing the playing identity hurts more than the threat of relegation on 14:15 - Nov 8 by BytholWyn

You obviously missed the third goal then? Zlatan just walked through the middle of them. No full backs involved. Mawson might be a prospect, might have potential to be the next John stones or whatever. But at this moment he is no premier CB, or let me put another way, he shouldn't be anywhere near this team. He's got too much to learn.
[Post edited 8 Nov 2016 14:40]
Losing the playing identity hurts more than the threat of relegation on 16:15 - Nov 8 with 4875 viewsA_Fans_Dad

According to their Stats this year there is little between Mawson & VDH and Amat is better than both of them.
The stats being Tackles, Interceptions, Blocks, Clearances and Pass Completion.
But he has also played 720 minutes to VDH's 450 and Mawson's 270.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024