Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Going gung-ho at West Ham will get us nil points 08:39 - Sep 25 with 4752 viewsSPboy

The wave of optimism sweeping this board after the second half performance against Watford is based on no foundation whatsoever. Now I was as mystified as everyone claims to be about the team selection on Saturday. However after watching the full game back, yes the first 30 minutes were every bit as bad it looked on Saturday, but the second half was nowhere near as good as some are making out.

If we go to West Ham expecting to attack from the off then we will be in for another tough day. They have a powerful midfield & potent attacking force but with a dodgy defence. If we play with our current first choice back four they will score goals. It is vital in the PL to get the first goal. After Spurs had a player sent off, they just carried on playing as Spurs do with their defence one man down. Another five minutes & West Ham would have scored again.

After yet another horror shown from Mawson, does anyone really believe that vdH is actually a better option? Throw in Fernandez who is also prone to more than the odd lapse in concentration and playing four at the back becomes too big a risk away from home. We have to start with five at the back in this type of game.

That means Clucas has to make way for Mesa to start. Quite what made us break the club record to sign this guy remains a mystery to me, even though it is alleged by someone that he single handedly almost kept Hull up last season. He looks just like a left footed Jack Cork and adds the square root of naff all to our game. With their powerful midfield, Fer has to start to physically compete, with the enigma that is Sanches on the bench. Bony or Abraham upfront, one or the other to start, tough choice.

For all of our huffing & puffing in the second half our end product (goal aside) was zilch. Our full backs still think they are crossing for Llorente. Bony is not tall enough to compete with most centre backs in the air. Ayew has to play with a bit more guile & intelligence. We need to get more players in the box from open play. As unpopular as it may seem if we go for it from the off at the London Stadium it would be suicidal. If we can frustrate West Ham by denying them chances, get the first goal and the atmosphere up there will turn even more toxic than the first half at the Liberty.
[Post edited 25 Sep 2017 9:15]
Going hung-ho at West Ham will get us nil points on 09:13 - Sep 25 with 3618 viewsSmellyplumz

5 at the back again.

""Although I cannot promise or predict the future, I can guarantee one thing - the current board of directors will always fight, as we have done over the last 12 years, to work together as one with the Supporters Trust to make 100% sure that Swansea City football club remains the number one priority in all our thoughts and in every decision we make."
Poll: Huw Jenkins

Going hung-ho at West Ham will get us nil points on 09:22 - Sep 25 with 3597 viewsTheResurrection

There won't be many more clueless posts worse than this facker this season.

Bollox did you watch it back and come up with that shit.

Watford who have drawn at home to Liverpool and won their last 3 Premier League games are just dismissed as easy games by clowns like yourself.

And where were they second half, on the back foot virtually the whole period with Fabianski a spectator. We bossed the midfield and took the game to them, the stats will show a completely dominant showing, but we made two bad mistakes.

Two bad ones in the second half and one glaringly bad one from Clement in the first half, and all people like you want to do is continue the cycle of misery that blights you day to day .

If, after a tricky first half against a solid side where we were set up all wrong you can't find any positives, you never will. And Bony in the air will be a massive threat. You've seemingly missed the chances in the first half, and they were decent as well.

Carroll put one right on his nut from a free kick better than we even got from Siggy, Ayew whipped one in just over him but on another day that gets met and Olsson put another peach of a cross which Bony just failed to connect properly. He's clearly not as sharp as he could be but hey, one facking game he's had, let's hang him out to dry haha.

Watched it back my arse. Full of shit.

* BOX OFFICE POST ABOVE* TM I am the resurrection and i am the light. I couldn’t ever bring myself to hate you as i’d like
Poll: Is it time for the Trust to make change happen?

Going hung-ho at West Ham will get us nil points on 09:28 - Sep 25 with 3584 viewsProfessor

Going hung-ho at West Ham will get us nil points on 09:22 - Sep 25 by TheResurrection

Watford who have drawn at home to Liverpool and won their last 3 Premier League games are just dismissed as easy games by clowns like yourself.

And where were they second half, on the back foot virtually the whole period with Fabianski a spectator. We bossed the midfield and took the game to them, the stats will show a completely dominant showing, but we made two bad mistakes.

Two bad ones in the second half and one glaringly bad one from Clement in the first half, and all people like you want to do is continue the cycle of misery that blights you day to day .

If, after a tricky first half against a solid side where we were set up all wrong you can't find any positives, you never will. And Bony in the air will be a massive threat. You've seemingly missed the chances in the first half, and they were decent as well.

Carroll put one right on his nut from a free kick better than we even got from Siggy, Ayew whipped one in just over him but on another day that gets met and Olsson put another peach of a cross which Bony just failed to connect properly. He's clearly not as sharp as he could be but hey, one facking game he's had, let's hang him out to dry haha.

I agree Chris

Bony needs more game time and I feel he and Abraham together will be a real threat. I would not complain with 5 at the back away to WHU, but the three of Clucas, Carroll and Fer did not work and this needs adressing
Going hung-ho at West Ham will get us nil points on 09:33 - Sep 25 with 3576 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Going hung-ho at West Ham will get us nil points on 09:22 - Sep 25 by TheResurrection

My god, I am agreeing with Res again.
One thing on a couple of posts recently is the total dismissal of Bony as a striker.
He has got better and closer to scoring in each successive game he has played in.
He is getting and also creating more chances for himself as he improves.
Tammy's goal was from Bony's good shot which was really well saved by their goalkeeper and subsequently pounced on by Tammy.
A true poachers goal.
I am sure it won't be long before Bony starts scoring.
However at West Ham what we don't what is our back line venturing too far up filed during open play, or we could easily get that sucker punch we did on Saturday.
Let the Mid field do the attcking support and watch out for the long ball back, something VDH is usually quite good at intecepting.
Going gung-ho at West Ham will get us nil points on 09:43 - Sep 25 with 3554 viewswhoflungdung

I'm keeping my powder dry but Id suggest we work with Bony and Abraham .

They have all week to work on this .

These are ,supposedly, top professionals with a top coach.

We deserve better than this and our season really has yet to start .

Fookn appalling to think just how long Sig saga lasted

Poll: Is it Spa or spa

Going gung-ho at West Ham will get us nil points on 09:56 - Sep 25 with 3528 viewsjack247

We won't go to West Ham with a gung-ho style. I don't think I've seen any posts suggesting we do. What almost everybody is suggesting, is that we show a little more intent and positivity. Most are suggesting Mesa starts and our midfielders have a bit more licence to express themselves.

You are right in that going hung-ho would be a recipe for disaster, but your arguing against an option nobody suggested.
Going gung-ho at West Ham will get us nil points on 11:16 - Sep 25 with 3472 viewshammy

This is the proverbial 6 pointer given our relative league positions, so must not lose !

If only we could have put our chances away / not given easy goals away against Newcastle and Watford and we would have been in the top 6 !

Clement has to get his shit together for the next few PL games ...

C'mon Bony shoot !!!!

Going gung-ho at West Ham will get us nil points on 11:22 - Sep 25 with 3458 viewsjasper_T

West Ham are dogshit.

"Powerful midfield & potent attacking force" lol give over.
Login to get fewer ads

Going hung-ho at West Ham will get us nil points on 11:54 - Sep 25 with 3401 viewsSPboy

Shock, horror someone disagrees with you and you call them a clown. Where exactly have I dismissed Watford? They were a well drilled, well organised outfit who totally outplayed us in the first half and no-one could have complained if they were two or three up at half time.

As for all our near misses, attempts in the game, apart from the goal we never actually had a shot on target or did you miss that fact? Fabianski was forced to make a save from a rather poor shot from Deeney. I can't remember Gomes having to do anything either. We actually never really came very close at all. On the balance of play overall we deserved at least a draw. But don't make out we created lots of 'chances' with such blind optimism. Perhaps you should watch it back again, arrogant nob
Going hung-ho at West Ham will get us nil points on 12:32 - Sep 25 with 3343 viewsSTID2017

That's twice in a week I'm agreeing with you !
As well as Watford had done in their previous games, that hammering knocked the stuffing out of them, and if we'd have pressed them from the off, IMO they'd have crumbled on Saturday.
The second half clearly showed in a "Bullseye" moment "look what you could have had"

"Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination" - Mark Twain
Poll: Who Would You Want As Captain For Swans ?

Going gung-ho at West Ham will get us nil points on 12:42 - Sep 25 with 3326 viewsgiantstoneater

The first half the system held us back and we were outnumbered in midfield (this is not the long ball Watford of old) and had no options further up the field so we just passed it from side to side when it was changed we started to play a lot of forward balls to players in between the lines and we brought Naughton and Olssen into the game further up the pitch and caused them a lot of problems. This game was an early Xmas pressie for them we gifted them two goals. Away I expect a more defensive set up but if it's played well it should also be fluid enough to turn defence into attack. Not certain about this but I thought that we made the pitch narrower making it hard for Naughton and Olssen to get higher up and the narrow pitch help them to close out the spaces out wide.
Going hung-ho at West Ham will get us nil points on 13:20 - Sep 25 with 3265 viewsTheResurrection

Going hung-ho at West Ham will get us nil points on 11:54 - Sep 25 by SPboy

Shock, horror someone disagrees with you and you call them a clown. Where exactly have I dismissed Watford? They were a well drilled, well organised outfit who totally outplayed us in the first half and no-one could have complained if they were two or three up at half time.

As for all our near misses, attempts in the game, apart from the goal we never actually had a shot on target or did you miss that fact? Fabianski was forced to make a save from a rather poor shot from Deeney. I can't remember Gomes having to do anything either. We actually never really came very close at all. On the balance of play overall we deserved at least a draw. But don't make out we created lots of 'chances' with such blind optimism. Perhaps you should watch it back again, arrogant nob

So we deserved a draw now you're saying? Bit of a tone down from your OP?

This shot on target Bullshit that's doing the rounds and getting picked up by posters that can't think for themselves, Bony's header in the first half was a Gilt edged chance but that wasn't on target. Tammy had a shot blocked last ditch through on goal when Bony totalled their defender, remember Bony who you said won't do well in the air,well yeah, that one.

We didn't slice through them, no, we didn't create chance after chance, no. But we dominated them for pretty much the whole half, and this when we were playing catch up unnecessarily through shit tactics.

So no one is going mad and off on one but the second half showed everyone that there's a team capable of much better within us.

If we set up right and show a bit more balls from the dugout we can build on that second half showing and with the personnel we've got can get a fluid passing game again on song.

* BOX OFFICE POST ABOVE* TM I am the resurrection and i am the light. I couldn’t ever bring myself to hate you as i’d like
Poll: Is it time for the Trust to make change happen?

Going hung-ho at West Ham will get us nil points on 13:31 - Sep 25 with 3234 viewsZut_Alors

Going hung-ho at West Ham will get us nil points on 13:20 - Sep 25 by TheResurrection

This shot on target Bullshit that's doing the rounds and getting picked up by posters that can't think for themselves, Bony's header in the first half was a Gilt edged chance but that wasn't on target. Tammy had a shot blocked last ditch through on goal when Bony totalled their defender, remember Bony who you said won't do well in the air,well yeah, that one.

We didn't slice through them, no, we didn't create chance after chance, no. But we dominated them for pretty much the whole half, and this when we were playing catch up unnecessarily through shit tactics.

So no one is going mad and off on one but the second half showed everyone that there's a team capable of much better within us.

If we set up right and show a bit more balls from the dugout we can build on that second half showing and with the personnel we've got can get a fluid passing game again on song.

agree with this. It's interesting watching the highlights of Tammy's goals from last season again now that he's scored a few for us too. He's got a lot to his game, but generally the goals he scores are from clever movement and picking up on scraps, just like Bony's shot. Really feel he has to play with Bony to get the best from him.
Going hung-ho at West Ham will get us nil points on 15:38 - Sep 25 with 3134 viewsoldcob

Going hung-ho at West Ham will get us nil points on 13:31 - Sep 25 by Zut_Alors

agree with this. It's interesting watching the highlights of Tammy's goals from last season again now that he's scored a few for us too. He's got a lot to his game, but generally the goals he scores are from clever movement and picking up on scraps, just like Bony's shot. Really feel he has to play with Bony to get the best from him.

He's what we used to call a 'snip watcher' a while back, but there's more to his game than just that,I agree.
Going hung-ho at West Ham will get us nil points on 15:53 - Sep 25 with 3111 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Going hung-ho at West Ham will get us nil points on 11:54 - Sep 25 by SPboy

"As for all our near misses, attempts in the game, apart from the goal we never actually had a shot on target or did you miss that fact? "

Fact, you wouldn't know it if it hit you in the face.
We had 10 shots 3 on target, they had 8 shots & 4 on target.
Going gung-ho at West Ham will get us nil points on 16:02 - Sep 25 with 3104 viewskarnataka

Going gung-ho at West Ham will get us nil points on 09:43 - Sep 25 by whoflungdung

I'm keeping my powder dry but Id suggest we work with Bony and Abraham .

They have all week to work on this .

These are ,supposedly, top professionals with a top coach.

We deserve better than this and our season really has yet to start .

Fookn appalling to think just how long Sig saga lasted

I agree, Tammy looked much better freed from the shackles of being a lone striker and will do his most effective work with Bony leading the line and giving the opposition central defenders a hard time.
Going hung-ho at West Ham will get us nil points on 16:09 - Sep 25 with 3098 viewsSPboy

Going hung-ho at West Ham will get us nil points on 13:20 - Sep 25 by TheResurrection

Maybe you should read the OP a bit closer with an open mind. First of all you will see that at no point did I dismiss the challenge of Watford. Then you should be able to see that at no stage did intimate that we didn't at least deserve a draw.

You may not be interested in stats but 3 goals in 6 games, 8-9 shots on target should tell you that we have not clicked yet. Clearly you seem to have seen some kind of trigger for wild optimism in the second half. What I saw was a minimum expectation that we should expect every game at home. Still, I see that you have at least agreed that we did not create chance after chance. Yes we did dominate them second half just like they dominated us in the first.

My cards are on the table, if we go balls out from the start next week we will get beat. Our defence is stronger with a back five, our midfield weaker playing that way. Playing away from home in any league is very different to playing at home. If we play throughout with four at the back West Ham will score and we will struggle to score if they take the lead. Perhaps you can give us the wisdom of how you would set up, this thread was as much about West Ham as Watford
Going gung-ho at West Ham will get us nil points on 16:27 - Sep 25 with 3074 viewsDrGonzo

I'd rather we actually have a go and pick a formation that shows some attacking intent.

If he picks 5 at the back again he can go as far as I'm concerned.
Going hung-ho at West Ham will get us nil points on 16:42 - Sep 25 with 3045 viewsyescomeon

Going hung-ho at West Ham will get us nil points on 09:28 - Sep 25 by Professor

I agree Chris

Bony needs more game time and I feel he and Abraham together will be a real threat. I would not complain with 5 at the back away to WHU, but the three of Clucas, Carroll and Fer did not work and this needs adressing

Waste of time playing Clucas DM when we are also playing 3 centre backs, fair enough when there is only two and he can slot in as a make-shift 3rd when the full backs are on forward runs. Mesa for Clucas I'd like to see, I expect us to be unchanged apart from that, wouldn't surprise me if we were completely unchanged from the previous starting line-up though.

Upthecity!

Going gung-ho at West Ham will get us nil points on 16:43 - Sep 25 with 3045 viewsoldcob

Going gung-ho at West Ham will get us nil points on 16:27 - Sep 25 by DrGonzo

I'd rather we actually have a go and pick a formation that shows some attacking intent.

If he picks 5 at the back again he can go as far as I'm concerned.

I was quite happy with it when we got a point away at Spurs, and so were many others. Home against Watford? Not so much.
Going gung-ho at West Ham will get us nil points on 17:00 - Sep 25 with 3007 viewsmonmouth

Going gung-ho at West Ham will get us nil points on 16:02 - Sep 25 by karnataka

I agree, Tammy looked much better freed from the shackles of being a lone striker and will do his most effective work with Bony leading the line and giving the opposition central defenders a hard time.

Funny enough - if he takes heed of what he saw - Saturday might have been a valuable exercise (shame we couldn't get a point out of it), as I don't think he had any intent whatsoever of trying a Bony/Abraham combination until he was shamed into it. We might look back on that as a turning point. Can only hope.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Going gung-ho at West Ham will get us nil points on 17:08 - Sep 25 with 2989 viewsHeadmaster

Going gung-ho at West Ham will get us nil points on 17:00 - Sep 25 by monmouth

Funny enough - if he takes heed of what he saw - Saturday might have been a valuable exercise (shame we couldn't get a point out of it), as I don't think he had any intent whatsoever of trying a Bony/Abraham combination until he was shamed into it. We might look back on that as a turning point. Can only hope.

Bony and Abraham starting is the way to go, and I thought that would've been obvious to our manager the moment we signed Bony.
Going gung-ho at West Ham will get us nil points on 17:21 - Sep 25 with 2970 viewsDrGonzo

Going gung-ho at West Ham will get us nil points on 16:43 - Sep 25 by oldcob

I was quite happy with it when we got a point away at Spurs, and so were many others. Home against Watford? Not so much.

Can't say I want to watch a performance like spurs away every week either. Boring. Negative. Indicative of our manager.
Going gung-ho at West Ham will get us nil points on 18:00 - Sep 25 with 2925 viewskarnataka

Going gung-ho at West Ham will get us nil points on 17:08 - Sep 25 by Headmaster

Bony and Abraham starting is the way to go, and I thought that would've been obvious to our manager the moment we signed Bony.

Strangely, and probably naively, I always thought that was the intention too and that Tammy was only shoehorned into the lone striker role due to an absence of any other viable option at the time due to Llorente's poorly timed departure. Tammy is not suited to the lone striker role and on Saturday, in the 2nd half we saw far more of what he 's capable of when someone else is in that central role and the combination looks like the way forward to me.
Going gung-ho at West Ham will get us nil points on 18:51 - Sep 25 with 2876 viewsjojaca

Going gung-ho at West Ham will get us nil points on 16:43 - Sep 25 by oldcob

I was not happy with it at Spurs, it was like watching a father spar with his 12 year old son. I don't know what pleasure fans get when teams attack us with wave and wave of attacks while we fail to consistantly get a shot on target.

Even when you know, you never know?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024