Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Calls to axe 'racist' Zulu film 09:53 - Jun 26 with 16869 viewstheloneranger

PC gone mad

"Calls to axe 'racist' Zulu film from Folkestone's Silver Screen Cinema listings"

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/folkestone/news/calls-to-axe-racist-zulu-film-from-c

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

Calls to axe 'racist' Zulu film on 12:03 - Jun 26 with 2170 viewsomarjack

Calls to axe 'racist' Zulu film on 11:56 - Jun 26 by WarwickHunt

I’m not offended because people said they were offended. I’m offended at the faux/vicarious outrage that may censor what I want to do or watch.

OK with you, Einstein?

But what if some people (I'm not one of them) believe that movie is insensitive in certain ways?

I mean..white supremacy doesn't really bother whites very much..surely many would say it's wrong etc but I don't see many white people getting offended to a point where they want to ban racism or white nationalism..most of them files it under "free speech".

Well for people of colour and immigrants it's not as easy as that to just say "well f*ck it let them smear us the way they won't"..racism is a form of bullying and harassment and it should be banned imo based on that.

I'm not saying this movie is a form of bullying or racism..But maybe to some Africans it touches on sensitive matters.

I mean just imagine if some radical Islamist made some sort of movie glorifying terrorist acts in the west..MOST whites would want it banned.

Guys..remember you're not alone in the world. And just because I think this specific movie isn't racist enough to be banned..To others it might be.
[Post edited 26 Jun 2018 12:03]

Poll: England vs Croatia (who's going to win)

Calls to axe 'racist' Zulu film on 12:04 - Jun 26 with 2165 viewsLohengrin

Calls to axe 'racist' Zulu film on 12:00 - Jun 26 by Darran

I blame ECB and Humpty.

Pair of bastards!

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Calls to axe 'racist' Zulu film on 12:10 - Jun 26 with 2147 viewsDyfnant

Calls to axe 'racist' Zulu film on 12:03 - Jun 26 by omarjack

But what if some people (I'm not one of them) believe that movie is insensitive in certain ways?

I mean..white supremacy doesn't really bother whites very much..surely many would say it's wrong etc but I don't see many white people getting offended to a point where they want to ban racism or white nationalism..most of them files it under "free speech".

Well for people of colour and immigrants it's not as easy as that to just say "well f*ck it let them smear us the way they won't"..racism is a form of bullying and harassment and it should be banned imo based on that.

I'm not saying this movie is a form of bullying or racism..But maybe to some Africans it touches on sensitive matters.

I mean just imagine if some radical Islamist made some sort of movie glorifying terrorist acts in the west..MOST whites would want it banned.

Guys..remember you're not alone in the world. And just because I think this specific movie isn't racist enough to be banned..To others it might be.
[Post edited 26 Jun 2018 12:03]

Thought you said you hadn’t seen it

Poll: How much will SCFC spend on transfer fees this summer

Calls to axe 'racist' Zulu film on 12:10 - Jun 26 with 2140 viewsLord_Bony

The film is a documentary of the events that week in 1879. It is not racist,it shows the bravery of both sides and the respect they had for each other.

It's just like any other war film wether it's the Battle of Britain or Napoleon..

Just an account of what happened.

This post has been edited by an administrator

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

Calls to axe 'racist' Zulu film on 12:12 - Jun 26 with 2130 viewsomarjack

Calls to axe 'racist' Zulu film on 12:10 - Jun 26 by Dyfnant

Thought you said you hadn’t seen it

I hadn't..But I trust what other posters are saying about it..And if it was actually considered racist by some people from African origins..Well I'm not African so probably I wouldn't really understand what's racist and why.

Poll: England vs Croatia (who's going to win)

Calls to axe 'racist' Zulu film on 12:15 - Jun 26 with 2118 viewsShaky

Calls to axe 'racist' Zulu film on 11:56 - Jun 26 by WarwickHunt

I’m not offended because people said they were offended. I’m offended at the faux/vicarious outrage that may censor what I want to do or watch.

OK with you, Einstein?

. . .when you're next attending the Folkestone Film Festival.

And what is this Kent Online? If it isn't in the Kent Messenger, it didn't happen, simple as that!
[Post edited 26 Jun 2018 12:15]

Misology -- It's a bitch
Poll: Greatest PS Troll Hunter of all time

Calls to axe 'racist' Zulu film on 12:15 - Jun 26 with 2117 viewsBadlands

Calls to axe 'racist' Zulu film on 11:48 - Jun 26 by Lord_Bony

Actually if you read up on the subject you will find two thirds of the South Wales Borderers were actually English...also known as the 2 NDR Warwickshire Regiment.

Here's an accurate account of what actually happened.

Most of the battle was at night. It finished at approximately midnight.
"The soldiers started with 24,000 rounds of ammunition. By midnight they were down to a 600-round box and any rounds they had left in their pouches. At midnight, they all expected to die.
Because it is such a well-crafted film, many people treat it as a documentary
Bill Cainan, Curator, The Regimental Museum of The Royal Welsh
"But by midnight the Zulus had shot their bolt. The battle had started at 4.30pm and they had taken quite heavy casualties.
"The British fire did not seem to be diminishing. The Zulus had jogged 15 miles to get there and swum a river in flood and they were relatively old regiments - in the uThulwana regiment the average age was 50.
"The Zulus were great warriors but even they had their limit. By midnight they thought 'that's it, finished'.
"If they had tried one more attack, they probably would have succeeded. The film does not convey that."
Yet Zulu has done marvellous things for the memory of the war, said Mr Cainan, even if it has also obscured somewhat the truth behind a battle that is still honoured by descendants on both sides.
He said: "It's a duality. Without the film, we would not have the interest in the Anglo-Zulu War,
"The medals that were issued would not be worth the money they are now."

On the other hand --- in the immediate aftermath of Rourke's Drift and Isalwanda

'But that image of valour and nobility in the Anglo-Zulu war of 1879 could now turn to shame. Documents have been uncovered which show that Rorke's Drift was the scene of an atrocity - a war crime, in today's language - which Britain covered up.
Taking no prisoners, they disembowelled many of the British and their colonial and native allies.

A British relief force saw the bodies on its way to Rorke's Drift, and it was this force which executed the Zulu wounded, not the garrison's men, who were resting after the battle.

In the hours after the battle senior officers and enlisted men of a force sent to relieve the garrison are said to have killed hundreds of wounded Zulu prisoners. Some were bayoneted, some hanged and others buried alive in mass graves.
More Zulus are estimated to have died in this way than in combat, but the executions were hushed up to preserve Rorke's Drift's image as a bloody but clean fight between two forces which saluted the other's courage.
'Samuel Pitts, a private, told the newspaper the Western Mail in 1914 that the official enemy death toll was too low. "We reckon we had accounted for 875, but the books will tell you 400 or 500."

The limits of the Zulu nation may have been exposed at the mission but on the same day, 'The garrison's heroism was no myth, but the Victorians lionised Rorke's Drift to compensate for the debacle at nearby Isandhlwana, a British camp where 20,000 Zulus killed over 1,000 soldiers on the same day.'

British involvement in South Africa (Zulu and Boer Wars) was barbaric even by the standards of the day.

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

Calls to axe 'racist' Zulu film on 12:28 - Jun 26 with 2092 viewsProfessor

Calls to axe 'racist' Zulu film on 12:15 - Jun 26 by Badlands

On the other hand --- in the immediate aftermath of Rourke's Drift and Isalwanda

'But that image of valour and nobility in the Anglo-Zulu war of 1879 could now turn to shame. Documents have been uncovered which show that Rorke's Drift was the scene of an atrocity - a war crime, in today's language - which Britain covered up.
Taking no prisoners, they disembowelled many of the British and their colonial and native allies.

A British relief force saw the bodies on its way to Rorke's Drift, and it was this force which executed the Zulu wounded, not the garrison's men, who were resting after the battle.

In the hours after the battle senior officers and enlisted men of a force sent to relieve the garrison are said to have killed hundreds of wounded Zulu prisoners. Some were bayoneted, some hanged and others buried alive in mass graves.
More Zulus are estimated to have died in this way than in combat, but the executions were hushed up to preserve Rorke's Drift's image as a bloody but clean fight between two forces which saluted the other's courage.
'Samuel Pitts, a private, told the newspaper the Western Mail in 1914 that the official enemy death toll was too low. "We reckon we had accounted for 875, but the books will tell you 400 or 500."

The limits of the Zulu nation may have been exposed at the mission but on the same day, 'The garrison's heroism was no myth, but the Victorians lionised Rorke's Drift to compensate for the debacle at nearby Isandhlwana, a British camp where 20,000 Zulus killed over 1,000 soldiers on the same day.'

British involvement in South Africa (Zulu and Boer Wars) was barbaric even by the standards of the day.

Good and fair post. There is no doubt the soldiers at Rourke's Drift put up a heroic defence which is well recognised. 'Zulu' is a fictional film based on fact. It is entertaining, well acted and in my opinion respectful to the Zulu. Given it was made in the early 60s it is a lot less racist than TV shows into the 1980s. Banning it is absolute madness.
Login to get fewer ads

Calls to axe 'racist' Zulu film on 12:32 - Jun 26 with 2086 viewsFlashberryjack

Calls to axe 'racist' Zulu film on 11:14 - Jun 26 by E20Jack

The profession of being offended is expanding rapidly it seems.

I find that offensive to people that feel offended at other people being offended by people that are not offended by people who are offensive to people that don't give a f*ck.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Calls to axe 'racist' Zulu film on 13:27 - Jun 26 with 2025 viewsHumpty

I blame ECB and Humpty.

Twenty eight people have exercised their right to freedom of speech. I don't have any problem with that.

Now I'm going to exercise my right to freedom of speech.

Grow up you silly sods and worry about something more important. This type of nonsense is self defeating as it gives credence to the view that anything PC must be bad, or "gone mad", and it's not. It's very important when applied to things that actually matter.
Calls to axe 'racist' Zulu film on 13:30 - Jun 26 with 2020 viewsHighjack

I blame ECB and Humpty.

I saw them outside the cinema chained together chanting “down with this sort of thing”.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Calls to axe 'racist' Zulu film on 13:32 - Jun 26 with 2011 viewsHumpty

Calls to axe 'racist' Zulu film on 13:30 - Jun 26 by Highjack

I saw them outside the cinema chained together chanting “down with this sort of thing”.

Careful now.
Calls to axe 'racist' Zulu film on 13:35 - Jun 26 with 1999 viewsexiledclaseboy

Calls to axe 'racist' Zulu film on 12:10 - Jun 26 by Lord_Bony

The film is a documentary of the events that week in 1879. It is not racist,it shows the bravery of both sides and the respect they had for each other.

It's just like any other war film wether it's the Battle of Britain or Napoleon..

Just an account of what happened.

This post has been edited by an administrator

It’s only a documentary if you don’t know what a documentary is you fecking halfwit.

Anyway, all the non-PC types have been triggered by the latest in a never ending series of PC gone mad non stories. Well done, job done. Useful idiots.

Poll: Tory leader

Calls to axe 'racist' Zulu film on 13:38 - Jun 26 with 1985 viewsLord_Bony

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRO-Lst_2gz5B0mmmPLNDgeoPfY

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"

Calls to axe 'racist' Zulu film on 14:01 - Jun 26 with 1932 viewsjackal

Calls to axe 'racist' Zulu film on 10:29 - Jun 26 by Shaky

Yup, world's gone mad if you can't freely glorify British imperial troops indiscriminately slaughtering a load of darkies.

Bring back Carry On films while you're at it too. Hilarious.

It was the natives who were out to do the slaughtering.

The troops were defending themselves.

The day before 1500 troops were slaughtered at Isandlwana.

Every Cowboy and Indian film should be banned as well under these guidelines.
[Post edited 26 Jun 2018 14:06]
Calls to axe 'racist' Zulu film on 14:07 - Jun 26 with 1920 viewsLord_Bony

And who could forget this beautiful rendition of Men of Harlech... By Ivor Emanuelle from Pontrhdyfen same as Richard Burton, still brings a tear to the eye.

Shame they changed the lyrics for the film though.

Calls to axe 'racist' Zulu film on 14:07 - Jun 26 with 1919 viewsHumpty

Calls to axe 'racist' Zulu film on 14:01 - Jun 26 by jackal

The "darkies" were in their own country.

We weren't.
Calls to axe 'racist' Zulu film on 14:21 - Jun 26 with 1885 viewsShaky

Calls to axe 'racist' Zulu film on 14:07 - Jun 26 by Humpty

We weren't.

That had to be either satirical or a case of severe sunstroke!

Misology -- It's a bitch
Poll: Greatest PS Troll Hunter of all time

Calls to axe 'racist' Zulu film on 14:21 - Jun 26 with 1885 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

Calls to axe 'racist' Zulu film on 10:24 - Jun 26 by Lord_Bony

True.

Next we should ban Christmas.

I’m up for that ,save a fortune

Poll: DO you support the uk getting involved in Syria

Calls to axe 'racist' Zulu film on 14:24 - Jun 26 with 1876 viewsLord_Bony

Calls to axe 'racist' Zulu film on 14:27 - Jun 26 with 1864 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

Calls to axe 'racist' Zulu film on 14:01 - Jun 26 by jackal

We were always led to believe as nippers the cowboys were the good guys .

Poll: DO you support the uk getting involved in Syria

Calls to axe 'racist' Zulu film on 14:27 - Jun 26 with 1863 viewsjackal

We weren't.

What's the issue with the banning?

Whites shooting blacks or the rights and wrongs of British Imperialism?

Many innocent people died in the forming of the British Empire but I don't think that is the issue here.
Calls to axe 'racist' Zulu film on 14:28 - Jun 26 with 1855 viewsHighjack

We weren't.

Point of order, a large percentage of the soldiers fighting for Britain in the Anglo Zulu war were African. Many were natives of what is now South Africa.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Calls to axe 'racist' Zulu film on 14:30 - Jun 26 with 1838 viewsHumpty

Calls to axe 'racist' Zulu film on 14:27 - Jun 26 by jackal

What's the issue with the banning?

Whites shooting blacks or the rights and wrongs of British Imperialism?

Many innocent people died in the forming of the British Empire but I don't think that is the issue here.

You'll have to ask the people who want to ban it. I'm not one of them.

You have to have a pretty perverse world view to think the Zulus were the aggressors though.
Calls to axe 'racist' Zulu film on 14:32 - Jun 26 with 1829 viewsFlashberryjack

You don't hear of many Zulu's called "Will" I wonder why.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024