Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Brexit showdown at Chequers..... 12:48 - Jul 6 with 2322 viewswestwalesed

What are people's thoughts on this?

My view is that Remain leaning ministers will push for something as close as possible to the current customs arrangement, Brexit leaning ministers will reject this and a fudge will be reached. Brexit Ministers will think "lets just get Brexit over the line - and then iron out details of the Brexit we want at a later date".

But, and this for me is the key point. The EU still have to accept what the UK Government puts forward which we know they are not going to do. I'm becoming more and more convinced that the EU will reject any proposal, try to force a collapse of the UK Government and hope that the electorate returns a Government committed to overturning the Brexit referendum.

Poll: Live in a country with no internet?

Brexit showdown at Chequers..... on 12:56 - Jul 6 with 1778 viewspikeypaul

Well good luck with that since Labour will never commit to overturning something their voters voted for in massive numbers.

Liberal maybe.

37 week AFLI
[Post edited 6 Jul 2018 12:57]

OUT AFLI SUCK IT UP REMOANER LOSERS 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧
Poll: Where wil Judas be sitting when we play Millwall?

Brexit showdown at Chequers..... on 13:04 - Jul 6 with 1766 viewswestwalesed

Brexit showdown at Chequers..... on 12:56 - Jul 6 by pikeypaul

Well good luck with that since Labour will never commit to overturning something their voters voted for in massive numbers.

Liberal maybe.

37 week AFLI
[Post edited 6 Jul 2018 12:57]

But Labour have openly committed to remaining in the Customs Union, which is the worst of all worlds and what the EU would love to happen.

Brexit showdown at Chequers..... on 13:05 - Jul 6 with 1763 viewsKerouac

I reckon you are spot on.

Once again they have calculated wrong though.

We will never vote in Corbyn's Labour (hence Tory 5% mid term lead even amongst all of this anti-government, anti-democracy, anti-Brexit hysteria orchestrated by our establishment...see BBC. The programme 'Question Time' is a 'Remainer' propaganda tool right now).
The people of this country are even more determined to see Brexit through now (thanks to the EU Commission's nonsense and the disdain for the British people and democracy that the 'Remain' camp has demonstrated in this country over the past 18 months or so).

All they will achieve by this exercise of trying to put the genie back in the bottle is 'no deal' and political chaos throughout Europe...and a reformed, pro-Brexit, Tory government in the UK...the British Conservative party will ditch the remainers in the end.
It is the rational outcome.

The EU will have sealed it's own fate as the silent, Euro-sceptic, majority in Europe realise that these politicians and civil servants will sacrifice their own people's safety, wealth and future prosperity on the alter of their own dream.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss9VZ1FHxy0
Poll: Which manager should replace Russell Martin (2) ?

Brexit showdown at Chequers..... on 14:31 - Jul 6 with 1693 viewsBatterseajack

Good chances there'll be salty gammon tears tonight
Brexit showdown at Chequers..... on 14:34 - Jul 6 with 1691 viewsHighjack

Brexit showdown at Chequers..... on 14:31 - Jul 6 by Batterseajack

What’s this ‘gammon’ thing everybody is on about?

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Brexit showdown at Chequers..... on 15:12 - Jul 6 with 1660 viewsBatterseajack

Brexit showdown at Chequers..... on 14:34 - Jul 6 by Highjack

What’s this ‘gammon’ thing everybody is on about?

Charles Dicko in Nicholas Nickleby used the term to describe a large, self-satisfied, middle aged man who professes an extreme patriotism in large part to disguise his essential selfishness and corruption.
Brexit showdown at Chequers..... on 15:28 - Jul 6 with 1649 viewswestwalesed

Brexit showdown at Chequers..... on 14:31 - Jul 6 by Batterseajack

I was hoping to gauge people's views on details of what will occur.

Do you have anything to add in that regard?

Brexit showdown at Chequers..... on 15:50 - Jul 6 with 1616 viewsBatterseajack

Brexit showdown at Chequers..... on 15:28 - Jul 6 by westwalesed

Don't know to be honest, and i'm bad at predictions. But my thoughts are that May OBVIOUSLY is pushing for the softest of softest brexit which appeases the question asked in the referendum. This was, do we want to leave the EU, no mention of CU or single market there in this question. Whilst i'll prefer this option over operation cliff edge, since in my view, does the least amount of damage, it does raise the question of what is the point of it all. The hard brexiters in the cabinet will kick up a fuss, some might resign, but i don't think they'll have the government majority to oust TM and send us back to a hard brexit.
Login to get fewer ads

Brexit showdown at Chequers..... on 15:50 - Jul 6 with 1619 viewsLoyal

Brexit showdown at Chequers..... on 15:12 - Jul 6 by Batterseajack

Charles Dicko in Nicholas Nickleby used the term to describe a large, self-satisfied, middle aged man who professes an extreme patriotism in large part to disguise his essential selfishness and corruption.

Black and white folk from left and right ...

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

Brexit showdown at Chequers..... on 18:01 - Jul 6 with 1562 viewsBadlands

Whatever Brexit May approves will represent approximately what 1/3 of Quitters want .. so 10% ish of the electorate (similar to the support for UKIP at its height).
We now see, in terms of political balance, the tail wagging the dog and why the Brexitters are desperate to avoid any sort of democratic approach to the deal we might achieve.
We already know any form of Brexit will continue to hurt the country, with cliff a edge leave being the most damaging by far.
This has already achieved what Putin wanted - a rift in the UK that will last decades and a weakening of the EU and Europe in general.
Also, we seem to be accepting as truth what never was ... all referendums in the UK are advisory and this one certainly was,
This Bill requires a referendum to be held on the question of the UK’s continued membership of the European Union (EU) before the end of 2017. It does not contain any requirement for the UK Government to implement the results of the referendum, nor set a time limit by which a vote to leave the EU should be implemented. Instead, this is a type of referendum known as pre-legislative or consultative, which enables the electorate to voice an opinion which then influences the Government in its policy decisions. The referendums held in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland in 1997 and 1998 are examples of this type, where opinion was tested before legislation was introduced. The UK does not have constitutional provisions which would require the results of a referendum to be implemented, unlike, for example, the Republic of Ireland, where the circumstances in which a binding referendum should be held are set out in its constitution '
The outcome was the will of the people
37% does not constitute the will of the people.
Leaving meant leaving the free market and customs union.
In October 2016 - Boris Johnson reported the government had not decided if I would prepare to stay or leave these elements. No commitment appeared in the official leave manifesto.
Whatever people claim to have voted for the extremists are pushing a manifesto promoted by the Brexit comics and UKIP but certainly not what was offered by the official leave group.
[Post edited 6 Jul 2018 18:09]

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

Brexit showdown at Chequers..... on 18:09 - Jul 6 with 1544 viewsbluey_the_blue

Well, if EU were trying to force a collapse of the UK Government, then that's precisely the reason for telling them to f*ck right off, surely?

Personally I'd tell Barnier to go whistle if they want access to any Five Eyes intelligence.
Brexit showdown at Chequers..... on 18:13 - Jul 6 with 1536 viewssherpajacob

Wackford Squeers would definitely be a brexiteer.

He'd probably be a UKIP member as well.

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

Brexit showdown at Chequers..... on 18:37 - Jul 6 with 1504 viewstrampie

For the team I support its probably better if there was no early General Election, they may well welcome it but I think they would be better off for a few reasons having the Assembly Elections first.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

Brexit showdown at Chequers..... on 18:52 - Jul 6 with 1493 viewsLeonWasGod

Brexit showdown at Chequers..... on 15:28 - Jul 6 by westwalesed

Think today’s been over-hyped, and yes it may not matter too much as these proposals have still got to be put to the EU. That’s far more significant than the Tories arguing amongst themselves all day.

And a side point on the BBC amd QT - I find the Brexiteer criticism hilarious given they gave UKIP a an equal platform with Tories and Labour for years, despite not having any MPs at the time. They also regularly wheel out Brexiters on the Today programme, again without questioning what comes out of gheir mouths (e.g. Owen Patterson this week)
Brexit showdown at Chequers..... on 19:17 - Jul 6 with 1475 viewsFlashberryjack

Whatever the outcome of the Chequers meeting is, if there is one, is rather pointless iMO.

Barnier will tear holes in it, the EU are so desperate to keep us in and stop the break up of this politically corrupt organisation, there is no way they'll give us anything even slightly acceptable to those wanting to leave.

We either leave or we stay, no other way I'm afraid, other than to have referendum after referendum until the vote is to stay, and by then the EU could be completely f*cked anyway.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Brexit showdown at Chequers..... on 19:21 - Jul 6 with 1468 viewsKilkennyjack

Brexit showdown at Chequers..... on 18:52 - Jul 6 by LeonWasGod

Think today’s been over-hyped, and yes it may not matter too much as these proposals have still got to be put to the EU. That’s far more significant than the Tories arguing amongst themselves all day.

And a side point on the BBC amd QT - I find the Brexiteer criticism hilarious given they gave UKIP a an equal platform with Tories and Labour for years, despite not having any MPs at the time. They also regularly wheel out Brexiters on the Today programme, again without questioning what comes out of gheir mouths (e.g. Owen Patterson this week)

Correct.

Why was Farage given a season ticket on QT with no ukip MP’s ?
Why were the Calais stories run every night on the BBC news ?
Why the renaming of the Severn Bridge now ?
Why do Dimblebot, Andrew Neil, and John Humphreys all support hard Brexit ?

Interesting innit ....?

Beware of the Risen People

Brexit showdown at Chequers..... on 22:07 - Jul 6 with 1385 viewsbiggar

So it’ll be a soft Brexit if May has her way.
Thoughts?
Brexit showdown at Chequers..... on 22:16 - Jul 6 with 1376 viewsbluey_the_blue

Brexit showdown at Chequers..... on 22:07 - Jul 6 by biggar

So it’ll be a soft Brexit if May has her way.
Thoughts?

I think it's utterly ridiculous on her part; it's just so soft that as an opening negotiating line it's almost bending over. EU will obviously want to haggle it down...

I suspect after the weekend, there may well be a challenge to May, can't see backbenchers being happy. Even if EU agreed, can see a Tory backbench rebellion against it in HoC.

The question then is what Labour do.
Brexit showdown at Chequers..... on 22:48 - Jul 6 with 1337 viewsHighjack

Brexit showdown at Chequers..... on 19:21 - Jul 6 by Kilkennyjack

Correct.

Why was Farage given a season ticket on QT with no ukip MP’s ?
Why were the Calais stories run every night on the BBC news ?
Why the renaming of the Severn Bridge now ?
Why do Dimblebot, Andrew Neil, and John Humphreys all support hard Brexit ?

Interesting innit ....?

In fairness Farage was relevant because UKIP got the most votes in the European elections.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Brexit showdown at Chequers..... on 23:10 - Jul 6 with 1312 viewsBrynCartwright

Not interested at all now with anything to do with Brexit. Whenever the news features a Brexit story I immediately turn over. It bores me senseless. I'd rather watch anything than anything to do with Brexit. Apparently BBC4 will be running some series on the best UK brass rubbing locations shortly.

Poll: Artificial Crowd Noise for Premier League and Champiionship Games is...

Brexit showdown at Chequers..... on 23:50 - Jul 6 with 1271 viewsDJack

Brexit showdown at Chequers..... on 23:10 - Jul 6 by BrynCartwright

Not interested at all now with anything to do with Brexit. Whenever the news features a Brexit story I immediately turn over. It bores me senseless. I'd rather watch anything than anything to do with Brexit. Apparently BBC4 will be running some series on the best UK brass rubbing locations shortly.

I take it that you are rubbing furiously now...

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

Brexit showdown at Chequers..... on 00:01 - Jul 7 with 1251 viewspeenemunde

Wow well give me gammon anytime then over thick as shite idiots such as yourself.
Brexit showdown at Chequers..... on 00:08 - Jul 7 with 1241 viewspeenemunde

Could be fertile ground for the extreme right to thrive.......🤔
Hosea 8:7 Sow the wind and reap the whirlwind.
Brexit showdown at Chequers..... on 00:17 - Jul 7 with 1227 viewsDJack

Brexit showdown at Chequers..... on 00:01 - Jul 7 by peenemunde

Wow well give me gammon anytime then over thick as shite idiots such as yourself.

Self awareness not your strong point is it fella!

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

Brexit showdown at Chequers..... on 09:25 - Jul 7 with 1150 viewswestwalesed

Brexit showdown at Chequers..... on 22:16 - Jul 6 by bluey_the_blue

I think it's utterly ridiculous on her part; it's just so soft that as an opening negotiating line it's almost bending over. EU will obviously want to haggle it down...

I suspect after the weekend, there may well be a challenge to May, can't see backbenchers being happy. Even if EU agreed, can see a Tory backbench rebellion against it in HoC.

The question then is what Labour do.

Absolutely fuming this morning having read the news - in all honesty, if I was given this "option" as Brexit I'd vote remain.

I voted Leave because I believed it would increase democratic accountability in the UK (know who are making our laws); increase our sovereignty (free to make our own laws and cast our own way in a Globalised world) and, in the long term, lead to Economic prosperity (accepting there would be a short-term hit, potentially over the majority of my life).

I DID NOT VOTE LEAVE TO SEE US ALIGNED TO EU LAWS BUT WITH NO INFLUENCE ON THEM.

There must be a leadership challenge. I would be happy to see the UK Govt collapse and if the Brexiteers had any courage at all, they would form a new, interim Party (the Brexit Party or something) to do this thing properly and implore anyone who voted for Brexit to vote for them.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024