Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
"Thoughts and Prayers" 09:37 - Oct 28 with 2487 viewsJackfath

I can understand "thoughts" but prayers? Why do people feel this helps? Why do people say it?

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

"Thoughts and Prayers" on 09:39 - Oct 28 with 2086 viewsexiledclaseboy

Just a saying innit. I doubt anyone actually says a prayer when or after they say “my thoughts and prayers are with (insert name here)”. I believe the modern term for it is “virtue signalling”.

Poll: Tory leader

"Thoughts and Prayers" on 09:41 - Oct 28 with 2081 viewsJackfath

"Thoughts and Prayers" on 09:39 - Oct 28 by exiledclaseboy

Just a saying innit. I doubt anyone actually says a prayer when or after they say “my thoughts and prayers are with (insert name here)”. I believe the modern term for it is “virtue signalling”.

It really gets on my tits, like so many things these days.

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

"Thoughts and Prayers" on 09:43 - Oct 28 with 2074 viewsexiledclaseboy

"Thoughts and Prayers" on 09:41 - Oct 28 by Jackfath

I’m here for you hun.

Poll: Tory leader

"Thoughts and Prayers" on 09:44 - Oct 28 with 2065 viewsomarjack

Some people are religious and pray, some aren't religious and don't pray. Simples.

The thing is, Thoughts and Prayers have become a code for "nothing is going to change" when it's used as a response to manmade tragedies. Or you know, when you're on the "wrong political end" of the evil act.

Poll: England vs Croatia (who's going to win)

"Thoughts and Prayers" on 09:53 - Oct 28 with 2050 viewsjackportis

Would some of religious communities be “offended” or indeed the new modern labour voter by this saying.

Jackportis the brand. “A gifted poster”, “planet swans have a real talent on their hands in the name of Jackportis” sky sports 2018. . JP fully supports posters of LBG, mx orientation and ethnic minority groups. Update - now fully supporting the pansexual community.

"Thoughts and Prayers" on 09:56 - Oct 28 with 2042 viewsmonmouth

These people must be very preoccupied all day too, as I’m sure they must obviously be thinking and praying for all the starving, tortured, murdered children and dispossessed of Yemen, Syria, Iraq, Afghanistan, Palestine etc etc. As they surely wouldn’t restrict themselves to high profile single news events and football ‘celebrities’ would they? It must be a pretty tough job showing how caring you are on facebook, snapchat, message boards and twitter for all the shitty things that life serves up.

I have no animosity towards anyone and wish all these horrors didn’t happen and loved ones didn’t have to suffer such intense private pain (including me). But it’s part of life and I’m afraid my thoughts are with what I’m going to have for lunch today, and my thoughts have never been with Glenn Hoddle, ever, although I certainly don’t wish him ill.

It’s the princess Di crap repeated ad nauseum isn’t it, magnified and fuelled by the Internet.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

"Thoughts and Prayers" on 10:32 - Oct 28 with 1980 viewsGreatBritton

"Thoughts and Prayers" on 09:56 - Oct 28 by monmouth

These people must be very preoccupied all day too, as I’m sure they must obviously be thinking and praying for all the starving, tortured, murdered children and dispossessed of Yemen, Syria, Iraq, Afghanistan, Palestine etc etc. As they surely wouldn’t restrict themselves to high profile single news events and football ‘celebrities’ would they? It must be a pretty tough job showing how caring you are on facebook, snapchat, message boards and twitter for all the shitty things that life serves up.

I have no animosity towards anyone and wish all these horrors didn’t happen and loved ones didn’t have to suffer such intense private pain (including me). But it’s part of life and I’m afraid my thoughts are with what I’m going to have for lunch today, and my thoughts have never been with Glenn Hoddle, ever, although I certainly don’t wish him ill.

It’s the princess Di crap repeated ad nauseum isn’t it, magnified and fuelled by the Internet.

Excellent post. I care about people, but not more so because they're famous
(No subject) on 10:45 - Oct 28 with 1953 viewsWingstandwood

"Thoughts and Prayers"?

Action is always better than words because it ends up with a positive outcome, a better outcome, an actual end result.

People like the individual's, the do-er's that volunteered to risk their own lives (some died doing so) in hellish conditions by go going to Africa to treat the ebola outbreak a few years back? They went far beyond "Thoughts and Prayers" and if they stayed at home ONLY offering "Thoughts and Prayers" then millions more probably would have died and the world could have witnessed a global epidemic.

Sometimes people say things with genuine heartfelt emotion and intent, thats o.k imo, but when it's said 'virtue-signalling-sheeple-style' it ends up a load of hot air. A bit like people pouring a bucket of ice cold water over one's head, nominating someone else to do the same whilst not even knowing the real reason why he/she is doing it in the first place.

Argus!

Login to get fewer ads

"Thoughts and Prayers" on 13:50 - Oct 28 with 1837 viewsHighjack

Praying after a tragic event is a bit stupid when you consider that God supposedly chose that event to happen in the first place as part of his grand plan/working in mysterious ways etc. So when a bus load of toddlers goes careering off a cliff and everyone starts praying for the victims what they really should be saying to God is “stop chucking toddlers off cliffs you nasty, evil, rotten bastard”.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

"Thoughts and Prayers" on 14:28 - Oct 28 with 1786 viewsdickythorpe

Highjack wins the Internet.
"Thoughts and Prayers" on 14:43 - Oct 28 with 1773 viewsCatullus

I offer sympathy and condolences but never prayers. The only time I get close to invoking religion is when I say 'god only knows' or things along that line

Monmouth and Highjack said it much better than I can.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

"Thoughts and Prayers" on 14:54 - Oct 28 with 1758 viewsThrasher6

Don't get me started on leaving flowers either....Jeez....

Poll: Social Distancing: When will it be an obsolete word?

"Thoughts and Prayers" on 18:47 - Oct 28 with 1647 viewsLeonWasGod

"Thoughts and Prayers" on 14:43 - Oct 28 by Catullus

I offer sympathy and condolences but never prayers. The only time I get close to invoking religion is when I say 'god only knows' or things along that line

Monmouth and Highjack said it much better than I can.

It’s hard to beat a good ‘Jesus fecking CHRIST!’ too. My Mrs hates it mind, goes on about blasphemy more than swear words. And probably would say ‘thoughts and prayers’ and do both. Small village, chapel-dominated upbringings have a lot to answer for. And that’s before we get to how they clip people’s wings and leave them riddled with guilt.
"Thoughts and Prayers" on 19:31 - Oct 28 with 1609 viewslegoman

I can't stand it when players are taking to the pitch and cross themselves whilst looking to the heavens. When was the last time any of them were in a place of worship?

"M'sieur, you said your dog did not bite!" "That's not my dog"

"Thoughts and Prayers" on 19:41 - Oct 28 with 1599 viewsoldcob

"Thoughts and Prayers" on 19:31 - Oct 28 by legoman

I can't stand it when players are taking to the pitch and cross themselves whilst looking to the heavens. When was the last time any of them were in a place of worship?

You don't have to go to church to be a good Christian and the same goes for any other religion. Surely it's how you live your life.
(No subject) on 19:53 - Oct 28 with 1584 viewsWingstandwood

"Thoughts and Prayers" on 18:47 - Oct 28 by LeonWasGod

It’s hard to beat a good ‘Jesus fecking CHRIST!’ too. My Mrs hates it mind, goes on about blasphemy more than swear words. And probably would say ‘thoughts and prayers’ and do both. Small village, chapel-dominated upbringings have a lot to answer for. And that’s before we get to how they clip people’s wings and leave them riddled with guilt.

There are both good and bad that practice their religion Christian and Muslim. The ones that really get to me are the TV evangelist 'prosperity-gospel' lot out in America.

There was one guy Jimmy Swaggart caught with prostitutes on two separate occasions and blamed The Devil.

And there is this guy! You only need to watch up to 1:40s.....nice mansion at 0:58s or his it just me? What servitude to the Lord hey? Personally speaking i.e. "Thoughts and Prayers" from this guy should be given a miss. His love for the Lord equal to Jenkins, Dineen, Morgan, Van Zweden, Pearlman, Jase and Steve's love for the club.

Argus!

"Thoughts and Prayers" on 20:16 - Oct 28 with 1557 viewsFlashberryjack

Allahu Akbar

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

"Thoughts and Prayers" on 20:54 - Oct 28 with 1526 viewsjack2jack

If I may interject.
If someone wants to send thoughts and prayers let them get on with it.
Too many interfer in other folks business,just let them get on with it.
(No subject) on 01:51 - Oct 29 with 1453 viewsDJack

"Thoughts and Prayers" on 19:31 - Oct 28 by legoman

Personally I love it when after scoring a goal a player crosses themselves and points skywards to their $deity in thanks for the decision(scoring of the goal) yet when their opposition score a goal (also their $deity's choice) they don't cross themselves and point skyward!!!???

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

"Thoughts and Prayers" on 01:57 - Oct 29 with 1449 viewsDJack

"Thoughts and Prayers" on 20:54 - Oct 28 by jack2jack

If I may interject.
If someone wants to send thoughts and prayers let them get on with it.
Too many interfer in other folks business,just let them get on with it.

If I might interject. Imagine you posted that your whole family ha d been wiped out in a tragedy and I replied that I'd licked my lucky Pannini sticker for you I'd think that you'd be a bit perplexed!? Yes/No?

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

(No subject) on 11:14 - Oct 29 with 1386 viewsShaky

(No subject) on 19:53 - Oct 28 by Wingstandwood

There are both good and bad that practice their religion Christian and Muslim. The ones that really get to me are the TV evangelist 'prosperity-gospel' lot out in America.

There was one guy Jimmy Swaggart caught with prostitutes on two separate occasions and blamed The Devil.

And there is this guy! You only need to watch up to 1:40s.....nice mansion at 0:58s or his it just me? What servitude to the Lord hey? Personally speaking i.e. "Thoughts and Prayers" from this guy should be given a miss. His love for the Lord equal to Jenkins, Dineen, Morgan, Van Zweden, Pearlman, Jase and Steve's love for the club.

This one's a classic too:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Evangelical leader: Not worth risking ties with Saudi Arabia over missing journalist
By Owen Daugherty -

The Hill, 10/17/18 06:11 PM EDT

https://thehill.com/policy/international/411949-evangelical-leader-going-after-s
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Tele-evangelist Pat Robertson in the twilight of his days arguing that Saudi Arabia should not be held to account for the horrific extrajudicial murder of Jamal Khashogg since it could endanger big US arms sales.

If Robertson had spent a little more time studying the Gospels than the Wall Street Journal, he may have come across this bit:

"Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity."

Matthew 7:21-23

Misology -- It's a bitch
Poll: Greatest PS Troll Hunter of all time

(No subject) on 11:19 - Oct 29 with 1377 viewsLeonWasGod

(No subject) on 19:53 - Oct 28 by Wingstandwood

Complete nutcases
"Thoughts and Prayers" on 11:25 - Oct 29 with 1367 viewsMo_Wives

"Thoughts and Prayers" on 13:50 - Oct 28 by Highjack

Praying after a tragic event is a bit stupid when you consider that God supposedly chose that event to happen in the first place as part of his grand plan/working in mysterious ways etc. So when a bus load of toddlers goes careering off a cliff and everyone starts praying for the victims what they really should be saying to God is “stop chucking toddlers off cliffs you nasty, evil, rotten bastard”.

God isn't in charge of this world. Satan is. That's why he was able to offer Jesus 'all these things if you would just fall down and worship me"

Good luck, Mr Cooper

"Thoughts and Prayers" on 11:35 - Oct 29 with 1357 viewsShaky

"Thoughts and Prayers" on 11:25 - Oct 29 by Mo_Wives

God isn't in charge of this world. Satan is. That's why he was able to offer Jesus 'all these things if you would just fall down and worship me"

Actually we are each in charge of our own world, Mo.

Misology -- It's a bitch
Poll: Greatest PS Troll Hunter of all time

"Thoughts and Prayers" on 11:38 - Oct 29 with 1355 viewsMo_Wives

"Thoughts and Prayers" on 11:35 - Oct 29 by Shaky

Actually we are each in charge of our own world, Mo.

Ooh, personal responsibility? Sounding a bit right wing there, Shakes.

But I agree. We are given free will

Good luck, Mr Cooper

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024