Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
500 Million Development in Cardiff bay 16:32 - Jan 28 with 7020 viewsAlfieMooresSon

Jesus, they get some money, how about the rest of Wales?

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/business/commercial-property/plans-revealed-500m-c
500 Million Development in Cardiff bay on 21:41 - Jan 28 with 1561 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

500 Million Development in Cardiff bay on 21:24 - Jan 28 by LeonWasGod

What's this got to do with the WG? Genuine question. I'd have thought that this is Cardiff council led and funded through developers.

Cardiff's a lot bigger and the capital - it'll always attract investment ahead of anywhere else in Wales.

Look up how Cardiff Council is funded and how much government development money has been spent in the area over the last 20 years.

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: When will Duff Revert to 4 at the Back

500 Million Development in Cardiff bay on 21:44 - Jan 28 with 1551 viewsLeonWasGod

500 Million Development in Cardiff bay on 21:41 - Jan 28 by JACKMANANDBOY

Look up how Cardiff Council is funded and how much government development money has been spent in the area over the last 20 years.

I kow they've had a bump this year when everyone esle had more cuts. That's probably unrelted to this, though - that's an operation budget.

I'd be amazed if this isn't private development funding raised agaisnt the expected income from the development. Maybe I'm wrong and it would be different under a different coalition; not convinced it would be though.
500 Million Development in Cardiff bay on 21:50 - Jan 28 with 1543 viewsGaryjack

500 Million Development in Cardiff bay on 16:41 - Jan 28 by LeonWasGod

Includes a 15,000 seater arena too. I'm still not sure what the aim for the one is Swansea is - what is it, something like 3 thousand seats? We've already got the Grand for shows, and the Stadium for bands in the summer. What will they use the new one for?

Are you serious! It could easily host top attractions like Bananarama and Kajagoogoo tribute bands, or even the real bands themselves if we market it correctly!
500 Million Development in Cardiff bay on 23:25 - Jan 28 with 1476 viewsmajorraglan

500 Million Development in Cardiff bay on 21:44 - Jan 28 by LeonWasGod

I kow they've had a bump this year when everyone esle had more cuts. That's probably unrelted to this, though - that's an operation budget.

I'd be amazed if this isn't private development funding raised agaisnt the expected income from the development. Maybe I'm wrong and it would be different under a different coalition; not convinced it would be though.

The article on Walesonline certainly implies this is a Cardiff Council initiative and there hardly any mention of WAG. This is a huge scheme, especially if they are looking to demolish their Council HQ to accommodate it. I have to give their Council some credit fr dreaming up a scheme such as this and trying to get it off the ground, it’s showing a degree of imagination I wish some of the councils further West oiled. We desperately need investment outside the Cardiff area an£ w3 need our politicians to sep up and deliver.
500 Million Development in Cardiff bay on 23:57 - Jan 28 with 1466 viewsBluebird

500 Million Development in Cardiff bay on 16:44 - Jan 28 by Swanjaxs

The scummers can play their home games in it.

Legoland is far too big for them.

You can only half fill your goldfish bowl so pipe down hypocrite
500 Million Development in Cardiff bay (n/t) on 02:13 - Jan 29 with 1453 viewsJack59

500 Million Development in Cardiff bay on 18:45 - Jan 28 by JACKMANANDBOY

And the poorest region in Northern Europe is West Wales, keep voting Labour chaps!

500 Million Development in Cardiff bay on 02:25 - Jan 29 with 1449 viewsJack59

And the poorest region in Northern Europe is West Wales, keep voting Labour chaps!

£Billions in the last 15 years sent from EU and Westminster to Cardiff to deal with the problem in the Valleys and West Wales. Where on earth did all that money go?
Education and Health Services in Wales going backwards. Very lucky for the incompetents in the Assembly that the Welsh media don't show any interest, I wonder why?
500 Million Development in Cardiff bay on 12:25 - Jan 29 with 1364 viewspencoedjack

This ^
Login to get fewer ads

500 Million Development in Cardiff bay on 12:26 - Jan 29 with 1362 viewsunion_jack

500 Million Development in Cardiff bay on 23:25 - Jan 28 by majorraglan

The article on Walesonline certainly implies this is a Cardiff Council initiative and there hardly any mention of WAG. This is a huge scheme, especially if they are looking to demolish their Council HQ to accommodate it. I have to give their Council some credit fr dreaming up a scheme such as this and trying to get it off the ground, it’s showing a degree of imagination I wish some of the councils further West oiled. We desperately need investment outside the Cardiff area an£ w3 need our politicians to sep up and deliver.

Yes, but they have the advantage of knowing that WAG will continue to pump money into the city, something no other area of Wales can rely upon. Not that much of a gamble then , is it?

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

500 Million Development in Cardiff bay on 12:40 - Jan 29 with 1351 viewsBatterseajack

Includes a 15,000 seater arena too. I'm still not sure what the aim for the one is Swansea is - what is it, something like 3 thousand seats? We've already got the Grand for shows, and the Stadium for bands in the summer. What will they use the new one for?

The grand is too small for some events, whilst the stadium is too big for others.

Its good to have a 3000 capacity offer.

You also can't fit a 15,000 seater in the bit of land where the Swansea arena is going.
500 Million Development in Cardiff bay on 12:43 - Jan 29 with 1349 viewsBatterseajack

500 Million Development in Cardiff bay on 18:59 - Jan 28 by Neath_Jack

What party do you think that would change the current way money is spent in Wales? Do you honestly believe anyone would be any different? I can't see it myself, and I've been a Plaid voter for years.

Isn't this private money being invested?

Its up to those private organisations how they spend their money. Cardiff council or the welsh government can't block planning on the basis that they aren't building one in Swansea.
500 Million Development in Cardiff bay on 12:52 - Jan 29 with 1342 viewsVincent_Vega

500 Million Development in Cardiff bay on 12:43 - Jan 29 by Batterseajack

Isn't this private money being invested?

Its up to those private organisations how they spend their money. Cardiff council or the welsh government can't block planning on the basis that they aren't building one in Swansea.

I wonder how much public money has gone into advertising the development and growth of our fair Capital compared to the rest of Wales.

Boycott Shampoo......Demand Real Poo!!!

500 Million Development in Cardiff bay on 13:05 - Jan 29 with 1327 viewsBatterseajack

500 Million Development in Cardiff bay on 12:52 - Jan 29 by Vincent_Vega

I wonder how much public money has gone into advertising the development and growth of our fair Capital compared to the rest of Wales.

There'll be a bit of public money spent to get the scope and outline of the scheme put together and develop a business case for moving the council offices, if that's what they're doing. But you're talking a couple of hundred grand, if that, in consultancy fees. They'll get that back in no time when this gets built.

But you need to put a bit of work in at the start to attract a developer, who'll bring in the real money to get this going and built.
500 Million Development in Cardiff bay on 14:12 - Jan 29 with 1302 viewswestside

This would be just around the corner from the Wales millennium centre which had £50 million of public money.
500 Million Development in Cardiff bay on 14:33 - Jan 29 with 1296 viewsVincent_Vega

500 Million Development in Cardiff bay on 13:05 - Jan 29 by Batterseajack

There'll be a bit of public money spent to get the scope and outline of the scheme put together and develop a business case for moving the council offices, if that's what they're doing. But you're talking a couple of hundred grand, if that, in consultancy fees. They'll get that back in no time when this gets built.

But you need to put a bit of work in at the start to attract a developer, who'll bring in the real money to get this going and built.

So what is the reason for big developments coming to Cardiff and not other parts of Wales? I mean Cardiff has big competition from Bristol in terms of catchment area and the like so wouldn't it make more sense to develop further west say Bridgend for example. Good road and rail links, cheap land, in range of east west and north. What's not to like?

Call me a cynic but I'm guessing the reason is the WAG do not wish it so thus sticking a big middle finger to the rest of Wales while they swan around in the Welsh version of Germania.

500 Million Development in Cardiff bay on 15:10 - Jan 29 with 1281 viewsBatterseajack

500 Million Development in Cardiff bay on 14:33 - Jan 29 by Vincent_Vega

So what is the reason for big developments coming to Cardiff and not other parts of Wales? I mean Cardiff has big competition from Bristol in terms of catchment area and the like so wouldn't it make more sense to develop further west say Bridgend for example. Good road and rail links, cheap land, in range of east west and north. What's not to like?

Call me a cynic but I'm guessing the reason is the WAG do not wish it so thus sticking a big middle finger to the rest of Wales while they swan around in the Welsh version of Germania.

Developers tend to like big cities with existing culture for entertainment. Same reason as nice shops like to setup shops in nice streets with other nice shops. An overseas investor isn't in it to develop a region of wales they've probably never heard of, they want a safe bet that they will one day see a return on their investment.

Setting up a $200M venue in Bridgend will be a risky venture and doesn't come close to being as well connected as Cardiff for transport. These guys will want to sell tickets for 3 to 4 nights a weeks or more.
500 Million Development in Cardiff bay on 17:25 - Jan 29 with 1242 viewsCatullus

500 Million Development in Cardiff bay on 21:44 - Jan 28 by LeonWasGod

A few years back there was a big story in the Evening post about WAG funding, there as outrage because for every pound the WAD spent in Swansea there was £7 being spent in Cardiff. I don't know what the ratio is now.
Incidentally, that 7 to 1 ratio, it was worse elsewhere in Wales.

Wasn't there a fuss about the WAG helping CCFC out with cheap or even free land too?

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

500 Million Development in Cardiff bay on 18:27 - Jan 29 with 1209 viewsWingstandwood

Interesting opinion poll on Welsh News tonight i.e. apparently the Conservative Party is in the lead in Wales.

And yeah.....I know it is only an opinion poll... Nevertheless decades back the recent upsurge in Tory support would never, ever, ever have been predicted in Wales (of all places!) and it does rather beg the question whether many Welsh voters are now finally getting rather pissed off at being ignored and taken for granted.

The voters in Wrexham seem to have echoed that.

Argus!

500 Million Development in Cardiff bay on 07:52 - Jan 30 with 1129 viewsclloy2

500 Million Development in Cardiff bay on 18:27 - Jan 29 by Wingstandwood

Interesting opinion poll on Welsh News tonight i.e. apparently the Conservative Party is in the lead in Wales.

And yeah.....I know it is only an opinion poll... Nevertheless decades back the recent upsurge in Tory support would never, ever, ever have been predicted in Wales (of all places!) and it does rather beg the question whether many Welsh voters are now finally getting rather pissed off at being ignored and taken for granted.

The voters in Wrexham seem to have echoed that.

I've never forgiven Welsh Labour and in particular Ron the badger Davies for giving Cardiff the WAG, when the cost effective and compelling case was Swansea. It was certainly a lost opportunity to begin to spread wealth outside of Cardiff and the SE. But in all reality since that decision, its just accelerated the growth of Cardiff.
My only worry with the Torries is that they tend to favour big business and the establishment, and both are doing very nicely down in Corruption Bay at the moment, and probably wouldn't want to rock the boat.
500 Million Development in Cardiff bay on 08:37 - Jan 30 with 1120 viewsVincent_Vega

500 Million Development in Cardiff bay on 15:10 - Jan 29 by Batterseajack

Developers tend to like big cities with existing culture for entertainment. Same reason as nice shops like to setup shops in nice streets with other nice shops. An overseas investor isn't in it to develop a region of wales they've probably never heard of, they want a safe bet that they will one day see a return on their investment.

Setting up a $200M venue in Bridgend will be a risky venture and doesn't come close to being as well connected as Cardiff for transport. These guys will want to sell tickets for 3 to 4 nights a weeks or more.

I see your point. In regards to transport, if Cardiff is so well connected why is it having billions spent on a metro system and a congestion charge introduced? We're all getting told that the Diff is full in it's current form and needs billions spent on transport to (for want of a better sound bite) 'take it to the next level'

Wouldn't it be a better idea to promote a another area where you can get more bang for your buck. Thing is with good transport links you can travel out as well as travel in so if you develop somewhere like Bridgend for example (I'm not from Bridgend btw) it won't exclude the obvious population centre of capital.

500 Million Development in Cardiff bay on 09:38 - Jan 30 with 1099 viewsfelixstowe_jack

500 Million Development in Cardiff bay on 16:38 - Jan 28 by Vincent_Vega

Already spending their congestion charge I see...

How will anyone get to the new indoor arena? All the trains are full, the roads totally congested, and you will have to pay £2 to Cardiff city council to go there.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

500 Million Development in Cardiff bay on 13:21 - Jan 30 with 1059 viewsEbo

Seats will probably be taken out in the stalls for some shows thus increasing the capacity.

Thank you, goodnight and bollocks
Poll: What couldn't you live without?

500 Million Development in Cardiff bay (n/t) on 13:24 - Jan 30 with 1056 viewsEbo

500 Million Development in Cardiff bay (n/t) on 02:13 - Jan 29 by Jack59

Imagine how much poorer they would be under a Tory council

Thank you, goodnight and bollocks
Poll: What couldn't you live without?

500 Million Development in Cardiff bay on 14:03 - Jan 30 with 1044 viewsBatterseajack

500 Million Development in Cardiff bay on 13:21 - Jan 30 by Ebo

Seats will probably be taken out in the stalls for some shows thus increasing the capacity.

Max capacity with standing is 3500
[Post edited 30 Jan 2020 14:04]
500 Million Development in Cardiff bay on 14:37 - Jan 30 with 1034 viewsfelixstowe_jack

500 Million Development in Cardiff bay on 23:57 - Jan 28 by Bluebird

You can only half fill your goldfish bowl so pipe down hypocrite

Never been less than half full even for our FA CUP games unlike Lego land which is regularly only 20% full for fa cup matches.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024