Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Corona Virus 22:39 - Mar 7 with 435664 viewsSgorioFruit

Sorry for new thread,
But how bad do you lot reckon it’s going to get here in the UK?
I just been watching the news. Looking nasty in Italy.

My methods are not favoured by some but by god i speak the truth.
Poll: What Happened Today???

Corona Virus on 14:45 - Mar 14 with 1302 viewslegoman

Corona Virus on 14:43 - Mar 14 by londonlisa2001

He’s a troll.

He’s trying to wind people up because he thinks it’s funny.

Do you mean me or ladyjack?

"M'sieur, you said your dog did not bite!" "That's not my dog"

Corona Virus on 14:46 - Mar 14 with 1301 viewslondonlisa2001

Corona Virus on 14:44 - Mar 14 by Thebus

Nonsense

Those are the official numbers.
Corona Virus on 14:46 - Mar 14 with 1298 viewsexiledclaseboy

Corona Virus on 13:05 - Mar 14 by Catullus

The winter of discontent? That was Labour.

I wouldn't close schools because we don't know how many NHS workers would need to take time off work, never mind the other emergency services. Children are the least vulnerable aparently, unless that has changed then it's the big picture we need to look at.

As someone else said, if dhildren end up with grandparents then we are sending potential carriers to stay with the most vulnerable.

The power cuts and three day week were under Heath.

Poll: Tory leader

Corona Virus on 14:47 - Mar 14 with 1293 viewshobo

Corona Virus on 14:44 - Mar 14 by Thebus

Nonsense

In what way?
Corona Virus on 14:47 - Mar 14 with 1292 viewslondonlisa2001

Corona Virus on 14:45 - Mar 14 by legoman

Do you mean me or ladyjack?

Lady jack.

You are providing interesting insights and thoughtful responses imo. Presumably because you are listening to what the scientists are saying not blokes down the pub who think they know more than the CMO.
Corona Virus on 14:49 - Mar 14 with 1279 viewslegoman

Corona Virus on 14:47 - Mar 14 by londonlisa2001

Lady jack.

You are providing interesting insights and thoughtful responses imo. Presumably because you are listening to what the scientists are saying not blokes down the pub who think they know more than the CMO.

Ah just wanted to clarify! It helps having a son with a PhD in virology!

"M'sieur, you said your dog did not bite!" "That's not my dog"

Corona Virus on 14:52 - Mar 14 with 1266 viewsLeonWasGod

Corona Virus on 13:48 - Mar 14 by londonlisa2001

We are all worried.

We all have family members who are more at risk.

I think a very careful explanation of what they are thinking, trying to do, why it seems differently timed to other countries etc is essential.

One thing that was interesting in that thread, was a suggestion that the science reporters should be front page rather than the political reporters. That makes sense to me.

The irony is that the mistrust in experts, people thinking they know more than them etc, has largely been stoked over the past few years by Johnson and Cummings etc as it suited them. They are reaping what they have been instrumental in sowing in the first place as now it’s so important to trust experts, people are not and they can’t get the message across.

Sounds like a good point re science reporters. Add in a bit more transparency via releasing data so it can be reviewed by other scientists. Be a bit more clear in the communications around what they want people to do in different situations, and a lot of the ifs and buts would probably go away.

Yes, the irony on the way this lot have behaved isn’t lost. It doesn’t make their job any easier.

Oh well, at least we can’t drop further down the league for a bit!
Corona Virus on 14:53 - Mar 14 with 1263 viewsladyjack

Corona Virus on 14:39 - Mar 14 by londonlisa2001

The thread has many posts and replies from the professor. Not just 15.

You don’t get under my skin. You are trying to troll people and wind them up and scare them when you know that people are concerned. You’re a complete waste of time. I simply can’t understand the mindset of people like you.

I don't troll people, you directed people to this expert guy and his analysis of the situation reads like a Nazi playbook but I read the situation the same, the death tolls, decisions about who lives and dies, using people as guinea pigs for the perceived greater good under this plan, allowing people to be infected to build up immunity, closing and opening schools, stopping and allowing events all used as a tool depending on hospital capacity etc etc.
People have the right to know but there again some might think it's not in their interest to know.
I started today off by giving arguments for and against the UKs strategy, if it's frightening so be it, it's not trolling, it what experts are saying and sometimes the realities are unpalatable and that's it.
Login to get fewer ads

Corona Virus on 14:54 - Mar 14 with 1252 viewslondonlisa2001

Corona Virus on 14:49 - Mar 14 by legoman

Ah, in which case that makes sense!

I knew someone did, I didn’t remember who.

Huge increase in cases today - or at least tested cases. The CSA said on Thursday they assumed up to 10,000 were positive. By now that must be double. But seeing the positive tests hugely increase Is still terrifying.
Corona Virus on 14:55 - Mar 14 with 1249 viewsFieryJack

Corona Virus on 14:47 - Mar 14 by londonlisa2001

Lady jack.

Or, as the Telegraph's front page cartoon put it today:

Latest government advice: all those people (ie. Pub Blokes) who suspect that they may have symptons of being an Armchair Expert are commanded to self-isolate until 2021 😂
Corona Virus on 14:58 - Mar 14 with 1239 viewsThebus

Corona Virus on 14:47 - Mar 14 by hobo

In what way?

Because in many cases people who have the virus will have such mild symptoms that they won’t appear on any statistical graph, because they won’t even have seen a doctor or even reported it.
That’s why the overall death rate is well below 1 %.
Corona Virus on 14:58 - Mar 14 with 1239 viewsKilkennyjack

Ask your son why the UK is taking different actions to the rest of the world ?

Maybe everyone else has got it wrong ?

Beware of the Risen People

Corona Virus (n/t) on 14:58 - Mar 14 with 1236 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Corona Virus on 14:45 - Mar 14 by londonlisa2001

I have said repeatedly I have no idea whether he’s right or wrong.

I can’t stand Johnson. I think he’s wrong on basically everything. But he’s listening to his experts.

Stop twisting what is being said ffs.

Corona Virus on 14:59 - Mar 14 with 1233 viewsexiledclaseboy

Have you got a son with a PHD in virology? You should have mentioned it before mun.

Poll: Tory leader

Corona Virus on 15:00 - Mar 14 with 1229 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Corona Virus on 14:45 - Mar 14 by londonlisa2001

I have said repeatedly I have no idea whether he’s right or wrong.

I can’t stand Johnson. I think he’s wrong on basically everything. But he’s listening to his experts.

Stop twisting what is being said ffs.

I am twisting nothing you are the one doing so.
You said he is listening to his experts and his experts could be right, it is not true according to the so called very top experts ie the WHO.
Corona Virus on 15:00 - Mar 14 with 1228 viewslondonlisa2001

Corona Virus on 14:53 - Mar 14 by ladyjack

I don't troll people, you directed people to this expert guy and his analysis of the situation reads like a Nazi playbook but I read the situation the same, the death tolls, decisions about who lives and dies, using people as guinea pigs for the perceived greater good under this plan, allowing people to be infected to build up immunity, closing and opening schools, stopping and allowing events all used as a tool depending on hospital capacity etc etc.
People have the right to know but there again some might think it's not in their interest to know.
I started today off by giving arguments for and against the UKs strategy, if it's frightening so be it, it's not trolling, it what experts are saying and sometimes the realities are unpalatable and that's it.

You started today by saying you hadn’t followed the story until yesterday.

You’re now disputing the statements of the Chief Medical Officer.

An astonishing learning curve.
Corona Virus on 15:01 - Mar 14 with 1217 viewsProfessor

Both Lady Jack and Lisa have raised fair points. The Ian Donald
Thread on Twitter is interesting and sets out fairly how the strategy could work. I personally think it’s too risky as I am fair from convinced we will get sufficient herd immunity.
I worry the expertise is of the radical Dominic Cummings school
Which could result in disaster with millions of deaths. The failure to show how they have come to the decision is worrying. There are plenty of opposing expert views notably from immunologists
Who like me are sceptical about protection levels. Mathematical models (which
I am guessing this is) over simplify to susceptible or resistant populations. But we are not binary but polymorphic in our immunity. This could be the flaw.

But, in the absence of a vaccine there is no right answer.
If we are lucky we will get tens of thousands of deaths. Unlucky millions.
As someone with respiratory disease i am facing up to my own mortality
[Post edited 14 Mar 2020 15:03]
Corona Virus on 15:03 - Mar 14 with 1212 viewsladyjack

Corona Virus on 14:40 - Mar 14 by legoman

I don't agree and I think you are being sensationalist.

The strategy is to build up immunity to protect the more vulnerable. The elderly and those with complex conditions probably are less socially mobile than the 18-50 group and children. The younger groups are also the sections of the public that are probably likely to display a modest response to the disease. Allowing them to build up immunity would seem to be a sensible idea.

Surely its better to try and get a proportion of the population to develop immunity? There is no vaccination alternative.

You seem to be obsessed with the notion that the UK is going to sacrifice part of the population for the greater good when I don't believe that is the case.

I hope it's not going to be the case also but it's a concern .
Corona Virus on 15:03 - Mar 14 with 1212 viewslondonlisa2001

Corona Virus on 14:58 - Mar 14 by Kilkennyjack

In that interview Johnson said allowing the disease to move through the population was completely wrong.

They are cutting the clip to make it seem he said the opposite.

Please stop spreading falsehoods.
Corona Virus on 15:04 - Mar 14 with 1207 viewshobo

Corona Virus on 14:58 - Mar 14 by Thebus

Because in many cases people who have the virus will have such mild symptoms that they won’t appear on any statistical graph, because they won’t even have seen a doctor or even reported it.
That’s why the overall death rate is well below 1 %.

That's very wishful thinking
Corona Virus on 15:04 - Mar 14 with 1202 viewslondonlisa2001

Corona Virus on 14:59 - Mar 14 by exiledclaseboy

Have you got a son with a PHD in virology? You should have mentioned it before mun.

I didn’t realise it was Lego. I’d thought it was someone else...
Corona Virus on 15:04 - Mar 14 with 1198 viewsKilkennyjack

Johnson u-turn ....??

Beware of the Risen People

Corona Virus on 15:05 - Mar 14 with 1191 viewslondonlisa2001

Corona Virus on 15:00 - Mar 14 by A_Fans_Dad

I am twisting nothing you are the one doing so.
You said he is listening to his experts and his experts could be right, it is not true according to the so called very top experts ie the WHO.

I haven’t said they are right or wrong mun.

I have said I’ve got no bloody idea.

Ffs.
Corona Virus on 15:05 - Mar 14 with 1190 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Corona Virus on 15:00 - Mar 14 by londonlisa2001

You started today by saying you hadn’t followed the story until yesterday.

You’re now disputing the statements of the Chief Medical Officer.

An astonishing learning curve.

Typical, attack the person and not the contents of their comments, which are the percieved wisdom of the experts around the rest of the world.
Corona Virus on 15:06 - Mar 14 with 1185 viewsThebus

Corona Virus on 14:58 - Mar 14 by Kilkennyjack

Seems perfectly responsible approach to me. Protect the elderly & the weak and metaphorically speaking let the young and strong fight the war. 🤜
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024