Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Corona Virus 22:39 - Mar 7 with 437061 viewsSgorioFruit

Sorry for new thread,
But how bad do you lot reckon it’s going to get here in the UK?
I just been watching the news. Looking nasty in Italy.

My methods are not favoured by some but by god i speak the truth.
Poll: What Happened Today???

Corona Virus on 14:00 - Mar 16 with 1630 viewsItchySphincter

Corona Virus on 12:50 - Mar 16 by A_Fans_Dad

Their reaction and inaction basically led to the speed of transmission across the rest of the world.
Before the lockdown of Huwan 4 million of their population of 30 million left the area.
Including leaving the country all together. Leaving it run until the Chinese New Year with all the travel that it involved also did the rest of the world no favours at all.
However the rest of the world's governents were way too slow to react to the really bad news coming out of Wuhan.
[Post edited 16 Mar 2020 14:48]

Wuhan.

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

Corona Virus on 14:24 - Mar 16 with 1582 viewsOptimisticJack

Corona Virus on 14:00 - Mar 16 by ItchySphincter

Wuhan.

Currently out in Carrihuella, Spain which like all of Spain is in lockdown.
Confined to room everything closed to public access even the pool.
I came out here a week ago to accompany my brother who hasn't the confidence to travel alone.
My son a school teacher sounds quite ill back home, showing symptoms and cant get tested!!
I feel so angry, sad and helpless.
We are like a third world country.
Anyone tried ringing 111.
Impossible. My son has been trying continually and just given up.
Many, many cases not being recorded.

Optimisticjack

Corona Virus on 14:33 - Mar 16 with 1565 viewsCooperman

More massive lock down steps being taken today but this time concerning industry. Groupe PSA (which is the conglomerate of Peugeot, Citroen, Opel) is closing all European sites down until at least 27th March. This will then ripple through into their supply base very quickly and adds further momentum for other OEM's, white goods companies, etc. to do the same. So within days we will have the manufacturing industry in the same condition as the airline industry.

Poll: Your confectionery tub of choice

Corona Virus on 14:41 - Mar 16 with 1547 viewsladyjack

Some people are very worried about the economic breakdown of society and if that happened then there would be anarchy.
Corona Virus on 14:44 - Mar 16 with 1535 viewsSwanjaxs

This thread has the potential to beat the Brexit thread ...

I'm going for a thousand pages + 👍

You might think I've forgotten, but one day, when you least expect it, my time will come.
Poll: Celtic and Rangers should be fast tracked into the Championship ASAP

Corona Virus on 14:47 - Mar 16 with 1526 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Corona Virus on 14:00 - Mar 16 by ItchySphincter

Wuhan.

Ta.
Corona Virus on 14:52 - Mar 16 with 1512 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Corona Virus on 13:59 - Mar 16 by Jack123

What I don't understand, all this talk of getting 60% of the population infected, and then they stop testing people,.. It doesn't add up.

Oh, you have noticed, nothing in the media about it is there.
Just think about it, 40 million test kits and 40 million tests to be analysed.
No way was that going to be achievable.
They have given up that idea and are all out for lockdown now.
Having wasted weeks since COV started getting here.
Corona Virus on 14:56 - Mar 16 with 1494 viewsA_Fans_Dad

I wonder who was in contact with the poor 68 year old guy who just died in Wrexham.
He hadn't travelled
Login to get fewer ads

Corona Virus on 15:03 - Mar 16 with 1469 viewsItchySphincter

Corona Virus on 14:24 - Mar 16 by OptimisticJack

I came out here a week ago to accompany my brother who hasn't the confidence to travel alone.
My son a school teacher sounds quite ill back home, showing symptoms and cant get tested!!

Stay optimistic, best wishes.

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

Corona Virus on 15:08 - Mar 16 with 1455 viewsSwanjaxs

Tell your son to go on the NHS website, all the Corona Virus symptoms and what to look out for are on there.

If you son feels his symptoms are unmanageable phone 999

You might think I've forgotten, but one day, when you least expect it, my time will come.

Corona Virus on 15:23 - Mar 16 with 1433 viewslifelong

Stay strong G, if I can help in any way send me a pm.
Corona Virus on 15:35 - Mar 16 with 1415 viewsCatullus

Corona Virus on 14:56 - Mar 16 by A_Fans_Dad

I wonder who was in contact with the poor 68 year old guy who just died in Wrexham.
He hadn't travelled

That's the real problem, we have no idea how many people have the virus. We don't 100% know if asymptomatic people are infectious nor if the 7 day self isolation is long enough. I've had a cold for over a week, no cough, no high temperature just a runny nose and a sneeze here or there, a bit phlegmy in the mornings, do I know for sure I haven't got the virus, does anyone unless they've been tested?
That's why it's pointless panicking, just follow the advice and carry on as normally as possible. We have little choice unless we have the capability to lock ourselves in the house for 2 months and hide from the world.

There are so many unknowns that an effective action plan is unlikely. The best time to keep a lid on this was before it got out of China but that chance had passed even before we knew about the virus, thank you Chinese government.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Corona Virus on 15:39 - Mar 16 with 1403 viewsProfessor

Corona Virus on 14:52 - Mar 16 by A_Fans_Dad

Oh, you have noticed, nothing in the media about it is there.
Just think about it, 40 million test kits and 40 million tests to be analysed.
No way was that going to be achievable.
They have given up that idea and are all out for lockdown now.
Having wasted weeks since COV started getting here.

It would be challenging, but my lab could process a thousand per day. We have perhaps 20 research groups who could also deliver this and at least another 25
Unis with similar capacity. I certainly think we could test that number over a long period. There are limiting steps in reagents but these can be stepped up to. Most research labs want to help.
Corona Virus on 15:53 - Mar 16 with 1365 viewsSwanjaxs

Corona Virus on 15:35 - Mar 16 by Catullus

That's the real problem, we have no idea how many people have the virus. We don't 100% know if asymptomatic people are infectious nor if the 7 day self isolation is long enough. I've had a cold for over a week, no cough, no high temperature just a runny nose and a sneeze here or there, a bit phlegmy in the mornings, do I know for sure I haven't got the virus, does anyone unless they've been tested?
That's why it's pointless panicking, just follow the advice and carry on as normally as possible. We have little choice unless we have the capability to lock ourselves in the house for 2 months and hide from the world.

There are so many unknowns that an effective action plan is unlikely. The best time to keep a lid on this was before it got out of China but that chance had passed even before we knew about the virus, thank you Chinese government.

Unfortunately 2 months wont even see the first spike ...

This is with us for at least 10 months and probably more

Corona Virus on 15:56 - Mar 16 with 1349 viewsHighjack

Corona Virus on 15:53 - Mar 16 by Swanjaxs

Unfortunately 2 months wont even see the first spike ...

This is with us for at least 10 months and probably more

Is there any chance that warmer, sunnier weather may hinder the spread of the virus in any way?

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Corona Virus on 16:21 - Mar 16 with 1298 viewsProfessor

Corona Virus on 15:56 - Mar 16 by Highjack

Is there any chance that warmer, sunnier weather may hinder the spread of the virus in any way?

Potentially yes. Some viruses are susceptible to both drying (desiccation) and increased UV. It would help reduce transmission from surfaces (fomites). There is precedence of some coronaviruses with higher winter prevalence in animals (notably Pig Epidemic Diarrheoa Virus or PEDV) associated with both enteric and respiratory disease. Let's hope so.
Corona Virus on 16:24 - Mar 16 with 1288 viewsploppy

Corona Virus on 15:56 - Mar 16 by Highjack

I think they said there's no evidence for this. What I've read is that the arrival of warmer weather coincides with the decline in the normal flu season, so at least the NHS won't be dealing with normal flu patients at the same time.
Corona Virus on 16:26 - Mar 16 with 1279 viewsHighjack

Corona Virus on 16:21 - Mar 16 by Professor

Potentially yes. Some viruses are susceptible to both drying (desiccation) and increased UV. It would help reduce transmission from surfaces (fomites). There is precedence of some coronaviruses with higher winter prevalence in animals (notably Pig Epidemic Diarrheoa Virus or PEDV) associated with both enteric and respiratory disease. Let's hope so.

Pig epidemic diarrhoea virus sounds particularly messy.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Corona Virus on 16:34 - Mar 16 with 1255 viewsA_Fans_Dad

This is sad if true.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8117417/Spanish-football-coach-dies-cor
Corona Virus on 16:56 - Mar 16 with 1212 viewsProfessor

Corona Virus on 16:24 - Mar 16 by ploppy

I think they said there's no evidence for this. What I've read is that the arrival of warmer weather coincides with the decline in the normal flu season, so at least the NHS won't be dealing with normal flu patients at the same time.

Not as yet-but there is for other coronaviruses
Corona Virus on 16:56 - Mar 16 with 1211 viewsWxmJax

Corona Virus on 14:56 - Mar 16 by A_Fans_Dad

He hadn't travelled

Apparently, while he was in hospital for something else he came into contact with someone who had been in Italy.

Poll: England, General Election: How are you going to vote ?

Corona Virus on 16:59 - Mar 16 with 1208 viewsProfessor

Corona Virus on 16:26 - Mar 16 by Highjack

Pig epidemic diarrhoea virus sounds particularly messy.

Yes-and potentially fatal. presents as both diarrhoeal form and a respiratory form not unlike COVID-19. Most corona are respiratory but there are a handful that frequently cause diarrhoea. Just had to upload my lecture on pig GI disease for online teaching.
Corona Virus on 17:29 - Mar 16 with 1158 viewsmonmouth

Well that presser is not instilling confidence is it? They are looking like a rabble to me that haven’t a clue what to do as events and criticism dictate policy on the hoof. I hope it isn’t but it’s increasing looking like a ‘we’ll be fine’, ‘shit, we won’t be fine’ set of knee jerk responses. A considered different approach is one thing. A hotch potch ‘science led’ set of increasingly contradictory actions rationalised after the event, but with the ‘science’ never explained or debated and challenged by that debate is not tenable in supporting public confidence.

Especially fronted by a reckless incompetent like Johnson.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Corona Virus on 17:48 - Mar 16 with 1121 viewsladyjack

Corona Virus on 17:29 - Mar 16 by monmouth

Well that presser is not instilling confidence is it? They are looking like a rabble to me that haven’t a clue what to do as events and criticism dictate policy on the hoof. I hope it isn’t but it’s increasing looking like a ‘we’ll be fine’, ‘shit, we won’t be fine’ set of knee jerk responses. A considered different approach is one thing. A hotch potch ‘science led’ set of increasingly contradictory actions rationalised after the event, but with the ‘science’ never explained or debated and challenged by that debate is not tenable in supporting public confidence.

You seem to be changing your mind on the merits of the UKs response to the Coronavirus, I thought from your previous posts that you initially seemed quite positive but now you seem to be quite negative.
Corona Virus on 17:48 - Mar 16 with 1121 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Corona Virus on 17:29 - Mar 16 by monmouth

Nice summary
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024