Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Government votes to reduce food standards 17:14 - May 26 with 16240 viewskarnataka

While the nation is understandably distracted by the pandemic, the b4$tards have voted through to have post-Brexit food standards and environmental standards removed from the Agriculture Bill after promising they wouldn't. Welcome to American sub-standard food.

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/news/full-list-of-mps-who-voted-to-lower-our-f
Government votes to reduce food standards on 12:55 - May 27 with 1404 viewsHighjack

Government votes to reduce food standards on 12:25 - May 27 by londonlisa2001

And replace him with who?

What difference does it make? Gove? Cummings was his aide for 7 years. Sunak? Who has tweeted support and only has his position due to Cummings deciding it’s ok having removed his predecessor.

The whole set up is corrupt from top to bottom. Brexiteers caused this. Manipulated like sheep. And the idiot Corbyn supporters. People who sneer about ‘ neo liberalism’ and ‘centrism’ like a bunch of bleating 6th formers in a school debating society.

Oh so it’s my fault is it? Well I must be punished then.

You’re a naughty boy Highjack.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Government votes to reduce food standards on 12:59 - May 27 with 1393 viewslondonlisa2001

Government votes to reduce food standards on 12:55 - May 27 by Highjack

Oh so it’s my fault is it? Well I must be punished then.

You’re a naughty boy Highjack.

Of course you did. You enabled this bunch of charlatans to execute an outrageous power grab, when others were telling you that they were lying through their back teeth for their own gain. You naively believed them then, which has directly led to what we have now.
Government votes to reduce food standards on 13:06 - May 27 with 1384 viewsCatullus

Government votes to reduce food standards on 12:53 - May 27 by londonlisa2001

Yes. Brexit became such an overriding issue that people who supported it, in many cases due to the constant lies being peddled by those who are peddling lies again at the moment, we’re prepared to vote for someone who clearly, transparently, obviously, didn’t have their interests at heart.

Those of us who continually said ‘these people are lying’ were told to suck it up. They were lying as much then, if not more, than they are now. The whole thing was always a power grab.

It’s the reason Johnson won’t sack Cummings now - he knows where the money came from. It’s ALWAYS about the money.

No. Brexit was a symptom of the political mess we were in, not the cause of it. Cameron and Osborne facilitated Bojo by treating people like idiots. Bojo wouldn't have become Tory leader if there had been better people around but we had Gove, Hunt, Rudd, Hancock, McVey, Raab and Stewart to choose from. Them to replace an already hopeless leader.
Then you look at the other side and don't you wonder just how bad Corbyn has to be for Bojo to win a 'stonking majority'
These people were around before brexit, whoever replaces Bojo might come from that cesspool we laugh at today and hopefully Starmer will kick their collective behinds into oblivion.
If Cameron had handled things better we may never have voted for Brexit, we were ruled by idiots before the referendum and it's only gotten worse since, Starmer apart.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Government votes to reduce food standards on 13:18 - May 27 with 1379 viewsHighjack

Government votes to reduce food standards on 12:59 - May 27 by londonlisa2001

Of course you did. You enabled this bunch of charlatans to execute an outrageous power grab, when others were telling you that they were lying through their back teeth for their own gain. You naively believed them then, which has directly led to what we have now.

I didn’t believe them at all. The campaigns were so atrocious I thought both sides were deliberately trying to lose. I made my mind up years ago. How many layers of governments do we need? I’ve also regularly suggested that Westminster and our whole system needs serious reform to weed out the monotony of the two party state and the blatant nepotism, entryism and cronyism that comes along with it.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.

Government votes to reduce food standards on 13:41 - May 27 with 1369 viewsNeath_Jack

Government votes to reduce food standards on 10:01 - May 27 by Highjack

Well that’s their own fault then. How did we get to the stage where so many people need their hands held from cradle to grave? Food storage and knowledge how to cook things properly should be an absolute basic skill set.

Teach it instead of poxy algebra in schools. Millions of kids are "brought" up in shocking family environments who are taught that Sunday lunch comes from McDonalds. They are a product of their environment, it isn't the fault of the kids, well not always anyway.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

Government votes to reduce food standards on 13:58 - May 27 with 1351 viewsProfessor

Government votes to reduce food standards on 11:10 - May 27 by Highjack

It is the answer. Most chicken has campylobacter and/or lots of other potential pathogens. Handling and cooking food safely negates any risk. This applies to meat both under the current UK/EU standards and the US standards. Cook/handle it properly and it will be safe. Statistically you’re probably more likely to die by choking on the damn thing.

But people don't handle food well or safely and attitudes don't always match yours HJ.

I was involved in this for example
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4918174/

Campylobacter has a very low infectious dose so easily transmitted via contaminated surfaces and packaging
Government votes to reduce food standards on 14:26 - May 27 with 1336 viewsItchySphincter

Government votes to reduce food standards on 12:25 - May 27 by londonlisa2001

And replace him with who?

What difference does it make? Gove? Cummings was his aide for 7 years. Sunak? Who has tweeted support and only has his position due to Cummings deciding it’s ok having removed his predecessor.

The whole set up is corrupt from top to bottom. Brexiteers caused this. Manipulated like sheep. And the idiot Corbyn supporters. People who sneer about ‘ neo liberalism’ and ‘centrism’ like a bunch of bleating 6th formers in a school debating society.

100 F*CKING % !!!!

Surely these people can't wipe their own arses if they can't see that this what they voted for! We knew this was coming, and yet they act all surprised and outraged?

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

Government votes to reduce food standards on 14:27 - May 27 with 1335 viewsProfessor

Government votes to reduce food standards on 10:41 - May 27 by Glyn1

A friend says that kebab shops etc have to put their cleanliness ratings on their window. And he's amazed that anyone would buy from anywhere rated zero or 1. Is he correct?

It's a hygiene rating not a cleanliness rating. Generally, it follows that 4 or 5 star places are good. However, a significant part of the rating is based on paperwork. If you have poor or incomplete records you may end up with 1 star, even if your practice is good. Places like McDonalds are almost invariably 5 star as everything follows a procedure. So its a reasonable rule of thumb. Scores must be displayed in Wales but not in England
Login to get fewer ads

Government votes to reduce food standards on 14:35 - May 27 with 1325 viewslondonlisa2001

Government votes to reduce food standards on 14:27 - May 27 by Professor

It's a hygiene rating not a cleanliness rating. Generally, it follows that 4 or 5 star places are good. However, a significant part of the rating is based on paperwork. If you have poor or incomplete records you may end up with 1 star, even if your practice is good. Places like McDonalds are almost invariably 5 star as everything follows a procedure. So its a reasonable rule of thumb. Scores must be displayed in Wales but not in England

Most do on a voluntary basis, certainly in London you see them in most windows.

I’ve a feeling (may be wrong) that companies like Deliveroo won’t accept places that don’t publish their hygiene rating?
Government votes to reduce food standards on 14:48 - May 27 with 1319 viewsProfessor

Government votes to reduce food standards on 10:57 - May 27 by Catullus

I won't disagree but in my case at least it won't matter. I buy organic food, delivered weekly from UK farms.
I'm not trying to say this vote is a good thing but maybe the Uk should work towards being more self sufficient? If we bought ;locally, supportee local farmers and shops this food standards problem would sort itself out.
If there isn't the market for imported Chicken (or any other drug riddled USA import) the problem cures itself. Isn't the Uk capable of producing enough chicken, lamb, beef and pork? Can't we grow enough Veg?
There are markets outside the USA too. The big problem is those who would rather buy the cheap, rubbish food so they can continue having beer and fags etc. There are plenty of those around and if they are happy to wreck their and their families health it's their choice.

A by product of this virus has been our move over to healthier eating and with my taking to gardening I've been getting more fresh air and exercise too, though despite this I seem to have put weight on!

Look to the future, Bojo will surely be gone and I reckon he will be lucky to get to the next GE. Such is the mess I think a GE will happen in 2/3 years, depending on the virus and Starmer might well be the one with the 'stonking majority'

We are only self-sufficient in lamb and eggs. We produce about a billion chickens, but import about another 500 million (or the equivalent) fresh from the EU (eg. Poland-which is where places like Muscle Food source from) or cooked frozen from Thailand (ready meals, pies etc). Beef and milk products rely on Irish imports. Pork from Denmark, Germany, Netherlands etc.
Government votes to reduce food standards on 14:55 - May 27 with 1316 viewsProfessor

Government votes to reduce food standards on 11:46 - May 27 by Catullus

Can't be careful or can't not buy it?

Lets face it, our food standards are higher than the USA right now but there is still plenty of unhealthy crap in pretty much every bit of heavily processed food people buy. Ready meals, burgers, sausages, mostly rubbish food that should be eaten sparingly whereas for many people they are daily staples.

Only once have I had food poisoning, it was from a fresh, made on site burger from our staff canteen and I only ate half of it because when I got halfway through I saw blood and realised it wasn't properly cooked. So like HJ says, cook your meat properly.

Who said something about steaks? The prof can correct me if needs be but aren't steaks safer to eat rare/medium rare because most of the bacteria is on the outside and is killed during cooking? Processed food (burgers, chicken nuggets) need cooking properly because the meat is chopped up and so the bacteria gets right into the middle.

Over to you prof.

Partly Catullus-Steaks tend to be deep muscle so are rarely contaminated/infected and the cooking process kills surface bugs. Mince is partcularly bad-large surface area. Stuff like nuggets which are ultra processed are usually OK, but yes, cook them through.
Government votes to reduce food standards on 15:02 - May 27 with 1310 viewsProfessor

Government votes to reduce food standards on 12:16 - May 27 by Highjack

Yeah the danger of chicken especially whole birds is the cavity in the middle that might be covered in bacteria but will be the last bit to get cooked. This is why lots of people can get ill whilst cooking turkeys at Christmas. Same as the area in between the legs and/or the wings. Beef steaks as you say are safer because a quick searing on both sides and any bacteria is killed off quickly.

It’s such a simple concept, heat kills bacteria. washing hands kills bacteria. Touching the meat then touching other things spreads bacteria. If bacteria is killed food is safe. Regardless of whether it’s chlorinated, radiated, carbonated or marinated.

If you don't stuff the bird, the cavity cooks OK-anywhere can be contaminated but surface is worst-neck skin is used to check for Campylobacter.

The turkey at Christmas is a little unusual. Its usually poor storage of cooked meat that leads to problems with toxins produced by Clostridium perfringens. The bug is pretty ubiquitous in animals. But is a spore former. Spores are resistant to heat and survive cooking. If you chill and refrigerate then fine. Leave the turkey out the spore germinate, bugs grow and lots of toxins. Horrendous fermenting diarrhoea and gut rot.
Government votes to reduce food standards on 15:10 - May 27 with 1303 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Government votes to reduce food standards on 22:32 - May 26 by Kilkennyjack

Thank you for posting.

How will this impact our health ?

Brexidiots strike again.
Very sad.
Lies.

It’s not all about brexit though. The government have made this decision by virtue of the uk electorate returning them with a majority.

Brexit alone does not mean we HAVE to drop our food standards. That is simply untrue.

Unfortunately it’s the act of politicians who hold their population in utter contempt, the tories won’t eat sh*t food but they think it’s ok for US to eat it.

Do as we say not as we do. Sound familiar?

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Government votes to reduce food standards on 15:35 - May 27 with 1294 viewslondonlisa2001

Government votes to reduce food standards on 15:10 - May 27 by Brynmill_Jack

It’s not all about brexit though. The government have made this decision by virtue of the uk electorate returning them with a majority.

Brexit alone does not mean we HAVE to drop our food standards. That is simply untrue.

Unfortunately it’s the act of politicians who hold their population in utter contempt, the tories won’t eat sh*t food but they think it’s ok for US to eat it.

Do as we say not as we do. Sound familiar?

The EU stopped the worst excesses of an extreme right wing government.

They also stopped (or actually that’s not even true - made a lot more difficult) the worst excesses of an extreme left wing government. Hence the lexit argument. But the political makeup of this country meant the former was always far more likely.

Which is now what we are all stuck with as a result.
Government votes to reduce food standards on 15:36 - May 27 with 1296 viewskarnataka

Government votes to reduce food standards on 15:02 - May 27 by Professor

If you don't stuff the bird, the cavity cooks OK-anywhere can be contaminated but surface is worst-neck skin is used to check for Campylobacter.

The turkey at Christmas is a little unusual. Its usually poor storage of cooked meat that leads to problems with toxins produced by Clostridium perfringens. The bug is pretty ubiquitous in animals. But is a spore former. Spores are resistant to heat and survive cooking. If you chill and refrigerate then fine. Leave the turkey out the spore germinate, bugs grow and lots of toxins. Horrendous fermenting diarrhoea and gut rot.

Eeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwww!

I'm well past needing any more reasons to have been vegetarian for 48 years but that post would definitely qualify!
Government votes to reduce food standards on 15:41 - May 27 with 1287 viewsgadgetuk

Government votes to reduce food standards on 15:36 - May 27 by karnataka

Eeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwww!

I'm well past needing any more reasons to have been vegetarian for 48 years but that post would definitely qualify!

Well at christmas I do everything wrong by the sound of it. I stuff the turkey and slow cook it for about 9 hours.
Not once have we had food poisoning, that said I do check the core temperature to ensure it's cooked properly.
Government votes to reduce food standards on 15:44 - May 27 with 1283 viewsProfessor

Government votes to reduce food standards on 15:36 - May 27 by karnataka

Eeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwww!

Being vegetarian or indeed vegan does not exempt you from some food borne infections though, but fewer than meat of course
Government votes to reduce food standards on 15:45 - May 27 with 1280 viewsHighjack

Government votes to reduce food standards on 15:44 - May 27 by Professor

Being vegetarian or indeed vegan does not exempt you from some food borne infections though, but fewer than meat of course

Yeah bagged salads can be nasty, and other leafy greens can bugger you up too.

Government votes to reduce food standards on 15:47 - May 27 with 1277 viewsProfessor

Government votes to reduce food standards on 15:35 - May 27 by londonlisa2001

The EU stopped the worst excesses of an extreme right wing government.

They also stopped (or actually that’s not even true - made a lot more difficult) the worst excesses of an extreme left wing government. Hence the lexit argument. But the political makeup of this country meant the former was always far more likely.

Which is now what we are all stuck with as a result.

Thing is Lisa, I am even more worried about erosion of workers rights and above all the dilution of environmental protection afforded by the EU.
Government votes to reduce food standards on 15:49 - May 27 with 1273 viewslondonlisa2001

Government votes to reduce food standards on 15:47 - May 27 by Professor

Thing is Lisa, I am even more worried about erosion of workers rights and above all the dilution of environmental protection afforded by the EU.

I agree.

The EU stopped the worst excesses of much of what this bunch will do. Hence the reason they wanted out, of course. Well that, and their funding buddies wanting the collapse of the EU.

But we are where we are. Many of us tried to get people to realise the dangers and they didn’t believe it.
Government votes to reduce food standards on 16:12 - May 27 with 1262 viewschad

Government votes to reduce food standards on 15:45 - May 27 by Highjack

Yeah bagged salads can be nasty, and other leafy greens can bugger you up too.

Oh yea salmonella, listeria, and E. coli... especially those little sprouting seeds

Luckily they wash them in chlorine don’t they?

Perhaps we will stop that now we are out of the EU.
Government votes to reduce food standards on 16:26 - May 27 with 1252 viewschad

Government votes to reduce food standards on 21:37 - May 26 by Professor

The US demands no labelling. I can write pages on this. Essentially food safety and animal welfare is what my research aims to improve. US standards are where we were in the 1980s. We have improved so much levels of Salmonella infections have dropped by 75%. The US is higher than where we were in 1988 (the Edwina Currie statement). Minimal welfare
Standards. Heavy use of antibiotics. Hormone injections to increase growth. Everything farmers and scientists have pushed forward in the last 30 years with support of EU legislation,
spaffed away for gammons to ‘get back control ‘ and blue passports.

No one should dismiss this as remainer propaganda- it is all true

spaffed away for gammons to ‘get back control ‘ and blue passports.

I often wondered about the psyche of a person who needed to call himself professor on a football forum. I put it down to insecurity. I however took it, and your posts at face value.

But your need to categorise and group people by skin characteristics, and mock different and valid opinions, and think that acceptable, tells me much more about your character. Presumably you would be happy for your own children to be abused and mocked in that way, for their opinions.

I know other people use such terms, and pitied them for it, but saw they were reduced to that, as coherent argument evaded them.

Perhaps if I want to appear as cerebral as you, I should suggest reasons you choose to work so closely with poultry.

I didn’t always agree with you, but I at least generally used to respect your POV.

If you want to play the blame game perhaps look no further than the abusive and disparaging politics you are now employing. Or those that could not accept they lost the referendum, and the Hobson’s choice many were given because of the effects of that

Perhaps the final straw was at the Labour conference, where that massively pro EU ‘razor sharp’ brained ‘state school’ educated ;) barrister deviated from his speech, and spoke of putting remain back on the agenda in another ballot. In fact wasn’t he directly blamed for Labours loss by significant figures within the party?

Do you not think we are bright enough to look after food standards for ourselves without having to subject ourselves to the massively lumbering bureaucracy that is the EU private members club, as it rumbles towards more and more globalisation, sees itself as an empire and drives for its own army, that sounds more like a war machine than a peace machine to me.

Surely if we have learned anything it is that we need to be more self sufficient, to protect ourselves and our planet in future.

The government we got to deliver Brexit, was in no small part courtesy of those certain group of Remainers who were kicking and screaming to get their own way against the voted outcome. No disrespect to other thoughtful and fair remainers who could accept arguments on both sides and the result of the referendum.

Of course they will never accept responsibility, for the major part that their pitiful sneering, abusive, misplaced arrogance, and refusal to accept the result of the vote played.

Still do carry on, if skin based abuse and contempt for others are the sharpest tools in your box.

Remember saying of COVID-19....
More people will die from salmonellosis from US produced chicken and egg than this.

Not sure your judgement should be considered that sound.
Government votes to reduce food standards on 16:31 - May 27 with 1248 viewsProfessor

Government votes to reduce food standards on 16:12 - May 27 by chad

Oh yea salmonella, listeria, and E. coli... especially those little sprouting seeds

Luckily they wash them in chlorine don’t they?

Perhaps we will stop that now we are out of the EU.

Washing in chlorine is a non-issue as far as I am concerned. The reason why chickens are chlorine washed are. Perhaps you should consider why the US allows relatively high levels of dangerous bacteria. Why salmonellosis is at least five times more common. All despite washing in chlorine. Race to the bottom of public, animal health and welfare standards. All for $$$$. We can of course still ban on public health grounds under the phytosanitary agreement within WTO regulations. But we won't. All this EU red tape eh? Keeping your rights and health safe. How terrible.
Government votes to reduce food standards on 17:02 - May 27 with 1232 viewskarnataka

Government votes to reduce food standards on 15:44 - May 27 by Professor

No, indeed, but I have managed to avoid the "Horrendous fermenting diarrhoea and gut rot" thankfully!
Government votes to reduce food standards on 17:36 - May 27 with 1220 viewsjasper_T

Government votes to reduce food standards on 17:02 - May 27 by karnataka

No, indeed, but I have managed to avoid the "Horrendous fermenting diarrhoea and gut rot" thankfully!

Oxygen is just plant diarrhoea if you think about it.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024