Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Government votes to reduce food standards 17:14 - May 26 with 16250 viewskarnataka

While the nation is understandably distracted by the pandemic, the b4$tards have voted through to have post-Brexit food standards and environmental standards removed from the Agriculture Bill after promising they wouldn't. Welcome to American sub-standard food.

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/news/full-list-of-mps-who-voted-to-lower-our-f
Government votes to reduce food standards on 09:47 - May 27 with 1454 viewsProfessor

Government votes to reduce food standards on 09:00 - May 27 by Highjack

Or alternatively, just cook the meat properly.

But people don't-the behaviour during the lockdown tells you this. A large proportion of food borne disease is cross contamination of other foods and the largest of all is eating outside the home. People's perceptions of food safety are far from ideal and although chefs know what they should do, they often don;t
Government votes to reduce food standards on 09:48 - May 27 with 1453 viewsBatterseajack

Brexit has gone too far if it brings the end of Rare Steak and Steak Tartare
Government votes to reduce food standards on 10:01 - May 27 with 1435 viewsHighjack

Government votes to reduce food standards on 09:47 - May 27 by Professor

But people don't-the behaviour during the lockdown tells you this. A large proportion of food borne disease is cross contamination of other foods and the largest of all is eating outside the home. People's perceptions of food safety are far from ideal and although chefs know what they should do, they often don;t

Well that’s their own fault then. How did we get to the stage where so many people need their hands held from cradle to grave? Food storage and knowledge how to cook things properly should be an absolute basic skill set.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Government votes to reduce food standards on 10:34 - May 27 with 1415 viewswaynekerr55

Government votes to reduce food standards on 17:21 - May 26 by Catullus

The only answer is to be very careful where you shop and what you buy. If chlorinated chicken pops up in Asda and Tesco, you don't have to buy it.

What about people who can't?

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

Government votes to reduce food standards on 10:35 - May 27 with 1414 viewswaynekerr55

Government votes to reduce food standards on 00:39 - May 27 by Slugster664

Never read so much sh1te, why the feck do I come on here...baffling.

Do expand.

You're actually telling us that Professor (who studies microbiology) doesn't know what he's saying?

Do you agree that we are "all sick of experts"?
[Post edited 27 May 2020 10:37]

Government votes to reduce food standards on 10:37 - May 27 with 1410 viewswaynekerr55

In some cases, yes. But come on HJ, you know the answer here.

These sociopaths are lowering standards to cosy up to Trump. That's not good.

Government votes to reduce food standards on 10:41 - May 27 with 1402 viewsGlyn1

A friend says that kebab shops etc have to put their cleanliness ratings on their window. And he's amazed that anyone would buy from anywhere rated zero or 1. Is he correct?

Poll: Who should be our next manager? Please name them.

Government votes to reduce food standards on 10:46 - May 27 with 1398 viewsSlugster664

Government votes to reduce food standards on 08:16 - May 27 by WarwickHunt

Which bits are upsetting you, luv?

Nothing upsetting me boy, it just baffles me why I come on here and read such dribbling arse-juice...it's run its course I think, dreadful forum.

STID

Login to get fewer ads

Government votes to reduce food standards on 10:57 - May 27 with 1388 viewsCatullus

Government votes to reduce food standards on 18:19 - May 26 by Glyn1

If it appears not as whole chickens but in other food (burgers, curries, soups) then you probably won't even know.

I won't disagree but in my case at least it won't matter. I buy organic food, delivered weekly from UK farms.
I'm not trying to say this vote is a good thing but maybe the Uk should work towards being more self sufficient? If we bought ;locally, supportee local farmers and shops this food standards problem would sort itself out.
If there isn't the market for imported Chicken (or any other drug riddled USA import) the problem cures itself. Isn't the Uk capable of producing enough chicken, lamb, beef and pork? Can't we grow enough Veg?
There are markets outside the USA too. The big problem is those who would rather buy the cheap, rubbish food so they can continue having beer and fags etc. There are plenty of those around and if they are happy to wreck their and their families health it's their choice.

A by product of this virus has been our move over to healthier eating and with my taking to gardening I've been getting more fresh air and exercise too, though despite this I seem to have put weight on!

Look to the future, Bojo will surely be gone and I reckon he will be lucky to get to the next GE. Such is the mess I think a GE will happen in 2/3 years, depending on the virus and Starmer might well be the one with the 'stonking majority'

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Government votes to reduce food standards on 10:57 - May 27 with 1385 viewsvetchonian

And so it begins, soon we will have changes to working hours directive,39 hour week ,we will see a return to Victorian era working conditions

Poll: Will CCFC win a game this season?

Government votes to reduce food standards on 11:10 - May 27 with 1372 viewsHighjack

Government votes to reduce food standards on 10:37 - May 27 by waynekerr55

In some cases, yes. But come on HJ, you know the answer here.

These sociopaths are lowering standards to cosy up to Trump. That's not good.

It is the answer. Most chicken has campylobacter and/or lots of other potential pathogens. Handling and cooking food safely negates any risk. This applies to meat both under the current UK/EU standards and the US standards. Cook/handle it properly and it will be safe. Statistically you’re probably more likely to die by choking on the damn thing.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.

Government votes to reduce food standards on 11:39 - May 27 with 1357 viewsBatterseajack

Government votes to reduce food standards on 10:57 - May 27 by Catullus

I won't disagree but in my case at least it won't matter. I buy organic food, delivered weekly from UK farms.
I'm not trying to say this vote is a good thing but maybe the Uk should work towards being more self sufficient? If we bought ;locally, supportee local farmers and shops this food standards problem would sort itself out.
If there isn't the market for imported Chicken (or any other drug riddled USA import) the problem cures itself. Isn't the Uk capable of producing enough chicken, lamb, beef and pork? Can't we grow enough Veg?
There are markets outside the USA too. The big problem is those who would rather buy the cheap, rubbish food so they can continue having beer and fags etc. There are plenty of those around and if they are happy to wreck their and their families health it's their choice.

A by product of this virus has been our move over to healthier eating and with my taking to gardening I've been getting more fresh air and exercise too, though despite this I seem to have put weight on!

Look to the future, Bojo will surely be gone and I reckon he will be lucky to get to the next GE. Such is the mess I think a GE will happen in 2/3 years, depending on the virus and Starmer might well be the one with the 'stonking majority'

Bojo is going absolutely nowhere. His reputation for some might have dropped, and for others this recent behavior just confirmed what they already know, but for most, they don't give a f**k about any of this because they support his team, through thick and thin.
Government votes to reduce food standards on 11:46 - May 27 with 1356 viewsCatullus

Government votes to reduce food standards on 10:34 - May 27 by waynekerr55

What about people who can't?

Can't be careful or can't not buy it?

Lets face it, our food standards are higher than the USA right now but there is still plenty of unhealthy crap in pretty much every bit of heavily processed food people buy. Ready meals, burgers, sausages, mostly rubbish food that should be eaten sparingly whereas for many people they are daily staples.

Only once have I had food poisoning, it was from a fresh, made on site burger from our staff canteen and I only ate half of it because when I got halfway through I saw blood and realised it wasn't properly cooked. So like HJ says, cook your meat properly.

Who said something about steaks? The prof can correct me if needs be but aren't steaks safer to eat rare/medium rare because most of the bacteria is on the outside and is killed during cooking? Processed food (burgers, chicken nuggets) need cooking properly because the meat is chopped up and so the bacteria gets right into the middle.

Over to you prof.

Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?

Government votes to reduce food standards on 11:49 - May 27 with 1353 viewsLeonWasGod

Government votes to reduce food standards on 10:57 - May 27 by Catullus

All that can be answered in one word: money. It would be lovely to fund our school sufficiently so they all buy local, organically grown produce. Or not have any unscrupulous companies who maximise profits at the cost of anything else. That's no going to happen though.

Much is being made about the choice angle. That only goes so far. Some people don't have the knowledge to be able to make good choices (or care). Some can't afford it. Sometimes you're not in a position to make a choice when it's part of a service being provided to you by organisations constantly fighting budget cuts. Better just to stop it coming in in the first place.

On the other hand, there's a long way to got though in terms of replacing EU food standards legislation, so there may well be more on this yet.
Government votes to reduce food standards on 11:55 - May 27 with 1349 viewsCatullus

Government votes to reduce food standards on 11:49 - May 27 by LeonWasGod

All that can be answered in one word: money. It would be lovely to fund our school sufficiently so they all buy local, organically grown produce. Or not have any unscrupulous companies who maximise profits at the cost of anything else. That's no going to happen though.

Much is being made about the choice angle. That only goes so far. Some people don't have the knowledge to be able to make good choices (or care). Some can't afford it. Sometimes you're not in a position to make a choice when it's part of a service being provided to you by organisations constantly fighting budget cuts. Better just to stop it coming in in the first place.

On the other hand, there's a long way to got though in terms of replacing EU food standards legislation, so there may well be more on this yet.

Money is always the issue yet it was less of an issue once, before supermarkets drove local shops out of business by undercutting them and then lowering standards..
For me a large reason for standards dropping was supermarkets and the chase for ever larger profits.
Perhaps if we went back to growing more of our own veg and supporting local butchers things would improve?

Government votes to reduce food standards on 11:56 - May 27 with 1348 viewsKilkennyjack

Government votes to reduce food standards on 11:39 - May 27 by Batterseajack

Bojo is going absolutely nowhere. His reputation for some might have dropped, and for others this recent behavior just confirmed what they already know, but for most, they don't give a f**k about any of this because they support his team, through thick and thin.

Except thats not true ...

Johnson is a fraud.
You cant gaslight a pandemic.
Clearly unfit for office.

Beware of the Risen People

Government votes to reduce food standards on 12:04 - May 27 with 1337 viewslondonlisa2001

Government votes to reduce food standards on 11:56 - May 27 by Kilkennyjack

Except thats not true ...

Johnson is a fraud.
You cant gaslight a pandemic.
Clearly unfit for office.

You’ve as many slogans as Cummings.

He’s not going anywhere unless he decides to as we don’t have an election for another 4 years and he has a huge majority.

It’s as simple as that.
Government votes to reduce food standards on 12:09 - May 27 with 1337 viewsjasper_T

Consumer practices and decision-making only go so far. Under capitalism profit-seeking companies will always be incentivised to adhere to the lowest possible standards they can get away with, in order to maximise £££. It's not "hand-holding" for a government to demand higher standards from all for the common good, because in a free market even good, responsible companies have to try to compete with those that don't give a fck about the people they're flogging their diseased turkeys to.

Unfortunately it looks like we're going to have to choose between shameless Tory greed and "electable" Labour neoliberal centrism for the foreseeable future so buckle up, things are going to get a whole lot worse in this country over the next few years.
Government votes to reduce food standards on 12:15 - May 27 with 1328 viewslondonlisa2001

Government votes to reduce food standards on 12:09 - May 27 by jasper_T

Consumer practices and decision-making only go so far. Under capitalism profit-seeking companies will always be incentivised to adhere to the lowest possible standards they can get away with, in order to maximise £££. It's not "hand-holding" for a government to demand higher standards from all for the common good, because in a free market even good, responsible companies have to try to compete with those that don't give a fck about the people they're flogging their diseased turkeys to.

Unfortunately it looks like we're going to have to choose between shameless Tory greed and "electable" Labour neoliberal centrism for the foreseeable future so buckle up, things are going to get a whole lot worse in this country over the next few years.

The reason we have such a disgraceful right wing government is because people like you dismiss centrism.

Own it. You caused this.
Government votes to reduce food standards on 12:16 - May 27 with 1328 viewsHighjack

Government votes to reduce food standards on 11:46 - May 27 by Catullus

Can't be careful or can't not buy it?

Lets face it, our food standards are higher than the USA right now but there is still plenty of unhealthy crap in pretty much every bit of heavily processed food people buy. Ready meals, burgers, sausages, mostly rubbish food that should be eaten sparingly whereas for many people they are daily staples.

Only once have I had food poisoning, it was from a fresh, made on site burger from our staff canteen and I only ate half of it because when I got halfway through I saw blood and realised it wasn't properly cooked. So like HJ says, cook your meat properly.

Who said something about steaks? The prof can correct me if needs be but aren't steaks safer to eat rare/medium rare because most of the bacteria is on the outside and is killed during cooking? Processed food (burgers, chicken nuggets) need cooking properly because the meat is chopped up and so the bacteria gets right into the middle.

Over to you prof.

Yeah the danger of chicken especially whole birds is the cavity in the middle that might be covered in bacteria but will be the last bit to get cooked. This is why lots of people can get ill whilst cooking turkeys at Christmas. Same as the area in between the legs and/or the wings. Beef steaks as you say are safer because a quick searing on both sides and any bacteria is killed off quickly.

It’s such a simple concept, heat kills bacteria. washing hands kills bacteria. Touching the meat then touching other things spreads bacteria. If bacteria is killed food is safe. Regardless of whether it’s chlorinated, radiated, carbonated or marinated.

Government votes to reduce food standards on 12:18 - May 27 with 1324 viewsCatullus

Government votes to reduce food standards on 12:04 - May 27 by londonlisa2001

He’s not going anywhere unless he decides to as we don’t have an election for another 4 years and he has a huge majority.

It’s as simple as that.

That's why I said 2/3 years depending on the virus. Honestly Lisa, can you see the Tories allowing Bojo to stay in power until the next GE. When he was bumbling along being an idiot people laughed at him but put up with him. This Cummings thing though, people are looking at it and realising he's treating the public like massive fookwits and yes it's true we are a lot of the time but we don't like to basically have it shouted at us!
The Tories will see the evidence and oust him because if he's there at next GE the Tories will get a stuffing. Right now many tories back him for self preservation but as we close in on the next GE they'll want to keep their seats and he will threaten that, lets call it the Corbyn syndrome, no matter what else the Tories say people will vote Labour just to not have Bojo.

Government votes to reduce food standards on 12:25 - May 27 with 1320 viewslondonlisa2001

Government votes to reduce food standards on 12:18 - May 27 by Catullus

That's why I said 2/3 years depending on the virus. Honestly Lisa, can you see the Tories allowing Bojo to stay in power until the next GE. When he was bumbling along being an idiot people laughed at him but put up with him. This Cummings thing though, people are looking at it and realising he's treating the public like massive fookwits and yes it's true we are a lot of the time but we don't like to basically have it shouted at us!
The Tories will see the evidence and oust him because if he's there at next GE the Tories will get a stuffing. Right now many tories back him for self preservation but as we close in on the next GE they'll want to keep their seats and he will threaten that, lets call it the Corbyn syndrome, no matter what else the Tories say people will vote Labour just to not have Bojo.

And replace him with who?

What difference does it make? Gove? Cummings was his aide for 7 years. Sunak? Who has tweeted support and only has his position due to Cummings deciding it’s ok having removed his predecessor.

The whole set up is corrupt from top to bottom. Brexiteers caused this. Manipulated like sheep. And the idiot Corbyn supporters. People who sneer about ‘ neo liberalism’ and ‘centrism’ like a bunch of bleating 6th formers in a school debating society.
Government votes to reduce food standards on 12:48 - May 27 with 1308 viewsCatullus

Government votes to reduce food standards on 12:25 - May 27 by londonlisa2001

And replace him with who?

What difference does it make? Gove? Cummings was his aide for 7 years. Sunak? Who has tweeted support and only has his position due to Cummings deciding it’s ok having removed his predecessor.

The whole set up is corrupt from top to bottom. Brexiteers caused this. Manipulated like sheep. And the idiot Corbyn supporters. People who sneer about ‘ neo liberalism’ and ‘centrism’ like a bunch of bleating 6th formers in a school debating society.

Brexiteers caused this? If it had been Starmer instead of Corbyn many of those Labour brexiteers who voted Bojo wouldn't have.
If Westminster hadn't been percieved as trying to block brexit people wouldn't have voted for the person who was all for it. Bojo was only pro brexit because he thought it'd get him into No 10 and it did. He was the one backing what the majority voted for. It wasn't just brexiteers or Corbyn or Bojo, it was the whole damned lot of them.

The whole set is corrupt, it's broken from top to bottom and the whole country has to carry the can for that not just brexiteers.

Government votes to reduce food standards on 12:53 - May 27 with 1301 viewsDJack

Government votes to reduce food standards on 12:04 - May 27 by londonlisa2001

It’s as simple as that.

Sad but true...

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

Government votes to reduce food standards on 12:53 - May 27 with 1301 viewslondonlisa2001

Government votes to reduce food standards on 12:48 - May 27 by Catullus

Brexiteers caused this? If it had been Starmer instead of Corbyn many of those Labour brexiteers who voted Bojo wouldn't have.
If Westminster hadn't been percieved as trying to block brexit people wouldn't have voted for the person who was all for it. Bojo was only pro brexit because he thought it'd get him into No 10 and it did. He was the one backing what the majority voted for. It wasn't just brexiteers or Corbyn or Bojo, it was the whole damned lot of them.

The whole set is corrupt, it's broken from top to bottom and the whole country has to carry the can for that not just brexiteers.

Yes. Brexit became such an overriding issue that people who supported it, in many cases due to the constant lies being peddled by those who are peddling lies again at the moment, we’re prepared to vote for someone who clearly, transparently, obviously, didn’t have their interests at heart.

Those of us who continually said ‘these people are lying’ were told to suck it up. They were lying as much then, if not more, than they are now. The whole thing was always a power grab.

It’s the reason Johnson won’t sack Cummings now - he knows where the money came from. It’s ALWAYS about the money.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024