Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
🇺🇸Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread”🇺🇸 01:18 - Sep 29 with 170595 viewsDr_Parnassus

Who will be watching? First one kicks off in 24 hours time.

The Democrats have pulled Joe back from his campaign trail recently to get him prepared, so hopefully it will be a decent exchange.

Unfortunately they don’t seem to have great confidence as they have spent the last month looking for any dirt they can dig up so Joe can use if he gets stuck.

It’s no coincidence that this vote influencing Facebook algorithm story is being shamelessly and inaccurately made into a race issue on the eve of the debates. So transparent and disingenuous, it’s a shame politics has come to this on this level where black people are being used in this way to score political points. I would be furious if I was them, but it does seem a lot of people are not falling for this one and calling it out for what it is.

People finally seem to be getting wise to this political race baiting which is refreshing to see.

It’s also telling that in the week of the debate they try and paint Trump as a tax evasion offender. I think that’s what they wanted the tax returns to show, they seem to have got annoyed when it turns out his tax returns were fine in accordance to what his companies profits were - but decided to run with it anyway. Any news is good news in their mind as it’s another thing Joe can use when in a tricky spot.

But I hope the discussions remain political and doesn’t turn into some form of gossip peddling reality TV episode.

Although I think there should be some kind of drinking game involved if it does turn that way, how many times Biden completely loses his thread of thought and blurts out “I mean, think about it...” you have to take a shot.

I will be watching with great interest anyway.

This post has been edited by an administrator

Swansea Independent Poster of the Year 2021 and 2022.
Poll: Would you swap Ayew for Piroe?

Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread” on 10:46 - Sep 30 with 2917 viewsAlgorfajack

Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread” on 09:16 - Sep 30 by NotLoyal

I've watched it, was Biden reading from a screen, he looked too intense when talking.
Both did themselves no justice.

I think if he was reading from a screen then the Racist would have had an awful lot to say about it

Prediction league winner 2016-2017 aka llanedeyrnjack

Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread” on 11:50 - Sep 30 with 2873 viewsGwyn737

Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread” on 09:16 - Sep 30 by NotLoyal

I've watched it, was Biden reading from a screen, he looked too intense when talking.
Both did themselves no justice.

If there was any hint of that I'm sure the GOP and the media would have been all over it by now.

It's going to be interesting to see how the Republicans move on their Biden cognitive ability message. I'd be amazed if they doubled down on it after that debate.
Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread” on 11:54 - Sep 30 with 2865 viewsDr_Parnassus

Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread” on 11:50 - Sep 30 by Gwyn737

If there was any hint of that I'm sure the GOP and the media would have been all over it by now.

It's going to be interesting to see how the Republicans move on their Biden cognitive ability message. I'd be amazed if they doubled down on it after that debate.

You don’t think he has any cognitive decline?

Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread” on 11:58 - Sep 30 with 2860 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread” on 03:58 - Sep 30 by Dr_Parnassus

Debate concluded. Was not a very good one for either candidate, lots of shouting, lots of name calling, lots of interrupting.

Biden did surprisingly well, but he did have some great help from Chris Wallace, especially when he kept jumping in when Biden was on the ropes. Frustrating debate.

I would say however that more neutrals may have been swayed to vote Biden than Trump after that. It really did seem like he was debating Wallace more than Biden at times, a point The President actually made halfway through.

Will probably see some more come out about the performance of Wallace in the coming hours.

Probably 1-0 Biden.
[Post edited 30 Sep 2020 3:59]

Wallace interupted the President 76 times and Biden 15 times.
It was a complete ambush all the way.
However the President did better than you think.
"Telemundo Spanish viewers 60 to 40 said Trump won the debate."

I have a question who decides on the "moderator"?
Surely they are supposed to be impartial?
Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread” on 12:09 - Sep 30 with 2844 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Sounded like a playground argument between two seven year olds.
It is amazing that a Country the size of American can only find two old men clearly past it.
There must be better candidates somewhere.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread” on 12:09 - Sep 30 with 2844 viewsGwyn737

Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread” on 11:54 - Sep 30 by Dr_Parnassus

You don’t think he has any cognitive decline?

Yes, over time and that's not unusual for someone who's 76. It would be remarkable if he hasn't.

However, the Republican line has been very much that the debates would expose an inability to even participate. This wasn't the case.

Which side to you think wants the next debate to happen more at this time?
Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread” on 12:11 - Sep 30 with 2842 viewsDr_Parnassus

Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread” on 11:58 - Sep 30 by A_Fans_Dad

Wallace interupted the President 76 times and Biden 15 times.
It was a complete ambush all the way.
However the President did better than you think.
"Telemundo Spanish viewers 60 to 40 said Trump won the debate."

I have a question who decides on the "moderator"?
Surely they are supposed to be impartial?

People tend to vote the winner who they want to win as opposed to who did.

To say Biden won is a bit of a stretch, but he came out of it the better because he was allowed to speak, was asked softball questions and was stopped from being pressed too much.

Where as Trump had contrived and dishonestly framed questions and was interrupted or cut off every time he tried to make a point.

It would be impossible to say Trump won the debate, he wasn’t given the chance to. But it seems too kind to Biden to say he won, it was given to him.

Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread” on 12:26 - Sep 30 with 2831 viewsDr_Parnassus

Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread” on 12:09 - Sep 30 by Gwyn737

Yes, over time and that's not unusual for someone who's 76. It would be remarkable if he hasn't.

However, the Republican line has been very much that the debates would expose an inability to even participate. This wasn't the case.

The Republicans, no doubt about it. The Democrats are trying to push for that to be the last debate, for obvious reasons.

Biden wasn’t given the opportunity to expose his ability really. Chris Wallace did a lot of the debating for him, especially on climate change. He was protected throughout.

I would hope in the next debate it is more about those two than Wallace. Ideally he would be replaced for someone who would rather be more anonymous than turn it into his own show where he controls the narrative carefully.

Login to get fewer ads

Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread” on 12:35 - Sep 30 with 2825 viewsJoe_bradshaw

i think the Trump campaign made a mistake saying that Biden has dementia and generally portraying him as a mentally ill bumbling idiot. That was always going to downplay expectations of Biden and anything better than that would look good for Biden.

After all, if Trump can't annihilate someone like that then it's a poor performance.

Rudy Giuliani just before the debate started - “The man [Biden] has dementia. There’s no doubt about it. I’ve talked to doctors."

Trump could do without Rudy's stupidity.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread” on 12:59 - Sep 30 with 2810 viewsDr_Parnassus

Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread” on 12:35 - Sep 30 by Joe_bradshaw

i think the Trump campaign made a mistake saying that Biden has dementia and generally portraying him as a mentally ill bumbling idiot. That was always going to downplay expectations of Biden and anything better than that would look good for Biden.

After all, if Trump can't annihilate someone like that then it's a poor performance.

Rudy Giuliani just before the debate started - “The man [Biden] has dementia. There’s no doubt about it. I’ve talked to doctors."

I don’t think this debate proves he doesn’t have dementia. I think it’s quite possible he does, that’s not something to be bandied about flippantly either, it’s an awful disease. But he’s been in politics forever, and anyone who is familiar with him before this race will tell you his decline is obvious.

Which is why it was ensured he was protected and babied right the way through the debate. It wasn’t really a debate in the true sense of the word. It was a left wing question and answer session where one side was allowed to answer questions (or evade them) to softball questions and the other side asked loaded and inaccurately worded questions where he was interrupted or not allowed to answer fully, being pressed to give specific answers to broad questions.

Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread” on 13:19 - Sep 30 with 2788 viewsGwyn737

125 interruptions by Trump in a 90 minute debate.

I'm guessing Trump will do his usual and say everyone is being mean to him again and everything is unfair.

Mind you, moderating that whole debate was like trying to plait fog.

I disagree with you on the Republicans wanting the next debate more. The dynamic has shifted a bit an Biden doesn't really need to do anything extra, the onus is on Trump to improve. It seems generally accepted that Biden came of better, if not by much.
[Post edited 30 Sep 2020 13:37]
Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread” on 13:30 - Sep 30 with 2776 viewsHighjack

Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread” on 12:59 - Sep 30 by Dr_Parnassus

I don’t think this debate proves he doesn’t have dementia. I think it’s quite possible he does, that’s not something to be bandied about flippantly either, it’s an awful disease. But he’s been in politics forever, and anyone who is familiar with him before this race will tell you his decline is obvious.

Which is why it was ensured he was protected and babied right the way through the debate. It wasn’t really a debate in the true sense of the word. It was a left wing question and answer session where one side was allowed to answer questions (or evade them) to softball questions and the other side asked loaded and inaccurately worded questions where he was interrupted or not allowed to answer fully, being pressed to give specific answers to broad questions.

Left wing? He’s a Fox News Guy isn’t he?

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread” on 13:36 - Sep 30 with 2774 viewsDr_Parnassus

Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread” on 13:30 - Sep 30 by Highjack

Left wing? He’s a Fox News Guy isn’t he?

He works for FOX yes, he is well known as an outlier. He is a registered Democrat.

There were major concerns about his impartiality coming into the debates, I ignored them as didn’t think anyone would have the nerve to be biased acting as moderator on such a world stage.

It seems those fears were absolutely justified, he even joined in with Biden in mocking Trump at one point, it was embarrassing.
[Post edited 30 Sep 2020 13:52]

Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread” on 13:41 - Sep 30 with 2765 viewsJoe_bradshaw

Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread” on 12:59 - Sep 30 by Dr_Parnassus

You're right that the debate doesn't show that he hasn't got dementia but it doesn't show that he has either. Rudy Giuliani is another American politician who has declined alarmingly recently and if Trump has any sense he'll tell him to keep quiet from now on.

It is a terrible disease as I know from the experience of watching my father's decline over five years before he died almost six years ago. He didn't recognise anyone in the family for the last 18 months of his life which destroyed my mother after 60 years of marriage. It's not something that should be diagnosed by amateurs in order to score political points.

Biden doesn't inspire confidence that he has all his faculties in place but it may just be old age rather than dementia.

Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread” on 13:42 - Sep 30 with 2763 viewsDr_Parnassus

Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread” on 13:19 - Sep 30 by Gwyn737

125 interruptions by Trump in a 90 minute debate.

I'm guessing Trump will do his usual and say everyone is being mean to him again and everything is unfair.

Mind you, moderating that whole debate was like trying to plait fog.

I disagree with you on the Republicans wanting the next debate more. The dynamic has shifted a bit an Biden doesn't really need to do anything extra, the onus is on Trump to improve. It seems generally accepted that Biden came of better, if not by much.
[Post edited 30 Sep 2020 13:37]

It was the only times he could talk. It was a sham.

Did you watch the Debate? It has nothing to do with “Trumps usual thing”, it was horrific. I don’t think anybody who watched it will think otherwise regardless of what side of the fence you sit. It was literally Wallace and Biden vs Trump.

My partner who isn’t really into politics was watching it with me and her face was a picture. Her exact words were “he is a bit of a d*ck isn’t he?”, in reference to Wallace.

The Republicans will absolutely want the next round of debates. I think they were caught on the hop by this and so many questions left unanswered by Biden, he won’t want to be pressed on them again.

I’d like him to be asked what he feels about Kamala Harris instructing people to donate to a fund to bail criminals out that get arrested in the riots for burning down people’s homes. No doubt Wallace would have ensured that was brought up had it been Trump or Pence.
[Post edited 30 Sep 2020 14:12]

Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread” on 14:00 - Sep 30 with 2739 viewsGroo

Going to be fun during the election with Trump calling for supporters to go to the ballot stations, mass of armed proud boys keeping the riff raff out.

If Trumo loses he'll claim cheating and dig in.

Groo does what Groo does best

Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread” on 14:03 - Sep 30 with 2737 viewsonehunglow

Stay north of the 49th parallel ,Groo

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread” on 14:11 - Sep 30 with 2731 viewsDr_Parnassus

Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread” on 14:00 - Sep 30 by Groo

Going to be fun during the election with Trump calling for supporters to go to the ballot stations, mass of armed proud boys keeping the riff raff out.

If Trumo loses he'll claim cheating and dig in.

Cheating is a guarantee, on a scale probably never seen before in an election. It’s already underway and documented.

I just hope it’s not enough to sway the election.

Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread” on 14:22 - Sep 30 with 2718 viewsKerouac

Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread” on 12:09 - Sep 30 by Gwyn737

From the moment the debate was over CNN started with the "there should not be another debate" narrative.
Tells it's own story don't you think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss9VZ1FHxy0
Poll: Which manager should replace Russell Martin (2) ?

Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread” on 14:35 - Sep 30 with 2704 viewsGroo

Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread” on 14:11 - Sep 30 by Dr_Parnassus

Cheating is a guarantee, on a scale probably never seen before in an election. It’s already underway and documented.

I just hope it’s not enough to sway the election.

Your correct, the way Trump is dismantling the postal service and closing polling stations in Democratic areas.

Groo does what Groo does best

Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread” on 14:35 - Sep 30 with 2706 viewsJoe_bradshaw

Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread” on 14:22 - Sep 30 by Kerouac

From the moment the debate was over CNN started with the "there should not be another debate" narrative.
Tells it's own story don't you think?

Not surprising.

Whoever is ahead in the polls has little to gain from scrutiny. It’s why Boris ran away from being interviewed by Andrew Neil last year. Good tactics.

Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread” on 14:39 - Sep 30 with 2699 viewsGwyn737

Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread” on 14:35 - Sep 30 by Joe_bradshaw

Not surprising.

Whoever is ahead in the polls has little to gain from scrutiny. It’s why Boris ran away from being interviewed by Andrew Neil last year. Good tactics.

This.
Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread” on 14:40 - Sep 30 with 2697 viewsKerouac

Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread” on 12:35 - Sep 30 by Joe_bradshaw

He does have dementia.
He did stumble over his words during that debate.
He does look like he is struggling to stay awake.
...and he didn't have any answers

Just because Trump is a prat and behaves like a prat doesn't mean he didn't win the debate...which is probably why the Democrats don't want another one.

1)
Trump:
Name one police force who backs you on law and order.

Biden:
*silence*

2)
Presenter:
You don't believe in climate change do you Donald?

Trump:
I have done a), b), c) & d). I just won't do anything that puts our business at a disadvantage. The Green New Deal doesn't work.

Biden:
Yes it does.

Presenter:
So do you support the 'Green New Deal' Joe?

Biden:
No.

3)
Trump:
Why was your feckless son able to take millions of dollars in backhanders?

Biden:
*Silence*

4)
Presenter:
Will there be a seamless transition of power?

Biden:
Yes, whether Trump likes it or not.

Trump:
You didn't transition power to me in the traditional way. You and Hilary and Obama (etc.) did everything in your power to declare my presidency illegitimate

....and I could go on.

People have to remember that it doesn't matter what journalists sat in a studio think about the debate.
It doesn't matter that the debate was barely worthy of Penlan Social Club, nevermind the Oxford Union.
All that matters is how people at home feel about which were the relevant questions and who had the most convincing answers.

I actually felt sorry for Joe Biden, very very wrong that an old man in his condition has been put in this position.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss9VZ1FHxy0
Poll: Which manager should replace Russell Martin (2) ?

Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread” on 14:43 - Sep 30 with 2691 viewsJoe_bradshaw

Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread” on 14:40 - Sep 30 by Kerouac

He does have dementia.
He did stumble over his words during that debate.
He does look like he is struggling to stay awake.
...and he didn't have any answers

Just because Trump is a prat and behaves like a prat doesn't mean he didn't win the debate...which is probably why the Democrats don't want another one.

1)
Trump:
Name one police force who backs you on law and order.

Biden:
*silence*

2)
Presenter:
You don't believe in climate change do you Donald?

Trump:
I have done a), b), c) & d). I just won't do anything that puts our business at a disadvantage. The Green New Deal doesn't work.

Biden:
Yes it does.

Presenter:
So do you support the 'Green New Deal' Joe?

Biden:
No.

3)
Trump:
Why was your feckless son able to take millions of dollars in backhanders?

Biden:
*Silence*

4)
Presenter:
Will there be a seamless transition of power?

Biden:
Yes, whether Trump likes it or not.

Trump:
You didn't transition power to me in the traditional way. You and Hilary and Obama (etc.) did everything in your power to declare my presidency illegitimate

....and I could go on.

People have to remember that it doesn't matter what journalists sat in a studio think about the debate.
It doesn't matter that the debate was barely worthy of Penlan Social Club, nevermind the Oxford Union.
All that matters is how people at home feel about which were the relevant questions and who had the most convincing answers.

I actually felt sorry for Joe Biden, very very wrong that an old man in his condition has been put in this position.

You know for a fact that he does have dementia?

Are his medical records a matter of public record or are you a mental health consultant who can diagnose remotely?

Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread” on 14:45 - Sep 30 with 2688 viewsGwyn737

Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread” on 13:36 - Sep 30 by Dr_Parnassus

He works for FOX yes, he is well known as an outlier. He is a registered Democrat.

There were major concerns about his impartiality coming into the debates, I ignored them as didn’t think anyone would have the nerve to be biased acting as moderator on such a world stage.

It seems those fears were absolutely justified, he even joined in with Biden in mocking Trump at one point, it was embarrassing.
[Post edited 30 Sep 2020 13:52]

You say outlier, I say moderate.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024