Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Home Rule 10:49 - Feb 28 with 15571 viewsCatullus

Drakeford wants it, devo max, go Federal, whatever you want to call it. His speech said a lot but was very light on detail. It was full of optimistic generalisations without saying much at all.
It is obvious now why the Labour party wanted to give the vote to 16/17 year olds, they are targettting them at the next election with this home rule demand because they know young people are more likley to support it, or independence.
This change in the voting laws was nothing to do with democracy and everything to do with tilting the vote in their favour but maybe it'll backfire and those youngsters will vote Plaid?

That aside, whn will we hear details? When will Drakeford give us the opportunity to weight up his plans?
He has also said more than once he won't serve a full term if he wins, that most likely means we'll have Gething foisted on us...from frying pan into the fire then. Can we vote for a party when we know the leader isn't interested in doing the term? Certainly people didn't like it when we had Bojo foisted on us, plenty said we didn'tvote for him and said it wasn't democratic.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Home Rule on 08:54 - Mar 5 with 827 viewsDr_Winston

Cardiff Airport was bought for political purposes. "The Capital of Wales" had to have an airport. From a business standpoint the purchase was idiotic, and now the taxpayers of the rest of Wales face decades of subsidising a white elephant purchased only to stoke the ego of one city and the nominal national Govt that boosts it ahead of everywhere else.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Home Rule on 09:13 - Mar 5 with 816 viewsonehunglow

Home Rule on 22:17 - Mar 4 by Kilkennyjack

Trident costs £205 billion, lets cancel it.

Let' be "neutral" like Ireland

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Home Rule on 09:23 - Mar 5 with 814 viewsexhmrc1

Home Rule on 08:54 - Mar 5 by Dr_Winston

Cardiff Airport was bought for political purposes. "The Capital of Wales" had to have an airport. From a business standpoint the purchase was idiotic, and now the taxpayers of the rest of Wales face decades of subsidising a white elephant purchased only to stoke the ego of one city and the nominal national Govt that boosts it ahead of everywhere else.

Cardiff Airport isnt in Cardiff and serves the whole South Wales population including West Wales. In fact, the further west the more useful it becomes. Travelling from Gwent to Bristol airport is almost as easy as going to Cardiff Airport. Those from Swansea and West already travel an hour or more and then add on the additional time getting to Bristol.

The Thatcher government removed public transport from national control. United Welsh group which owned First Cymru bought out buses in our area. Some time later the Directors who were previously managers of the nationalised company did a Huw Jenkins and sold out for millions.. Clearly that was done for the good of the Taxpayer wasnt it.

In the meantime First have been cutting bus services and increasing fares for its passengers. Again this has worked hasnt it.

Some areas have been left without buses. In order to ensure there were services council's have had to provide services so the end result of Thatcher's plan is that some made money out of her ideas whilst the public still has to pay for it.

Some on here complained about the Welsh Government delaying the vaccination of over 80s until the AZ vaccine came online. Clearly said by people like yourself who either dont care about the difficulties older people face or have a complete failure of understanding of problems.

As an example take someone going by public transport from Brynamman to the Bay Field Hospital.

It would involve catching a bus which runs 3 times a day from Brynamman to Swansea taking nearly an hour and a half. They would have to change bus in the Quadrant and catch a further bus out followed by a substantial walk. It would end up taking 2 hours each way together with a likely 3 hour wait in Swansea for the bus home yet people here wanted this to go ahead.

As a result of cuts in services places like Brynamman, Cwmgors, Craig Cefn Parc and Three Crosses were left without any services until the local councils stepped in. They and places like Banwen and the Gower only have services at all because they are local authority services. Yet the likes of you and others pretend things were better than they were pre Thatcher.

Our major industries were decimated under her and people wonder why there are fewer jobs here. Maybe people need to look back at the real reasons why we are in this position.

Catullus you and others have complained about the state having to fund companies. The biggest cost to the taxpayer is the NHS which was nationalised under Attlee. Should we get rid of the NHS because it costs money. It isnt my view but totally inconsistent with yours and others.
Home Rule on 09:25 - Mar 5 with 806 viewsDr_Winston

What the hell are you babbling on about man?!?!

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Home Rule on 09:41 - Mar 5 with 794 viewsonehunglow

Home Rule on 09:25 - Mar 5 by Dr_Winston

Thought that was aimed for me.
Taxy is ok but prone to verbosity.

He s ok though. A decent man

Home Rule on 10:57 - Mar 5 with 787 viewsexhmrc1

Just saying it as it is. Our industries were closed in the 1980s due to the very reasons Cat, you and others want to close Cardiff Airport. It isnt the only thing to get subsidies. Other forms of transport do as well and more importantly the biggest source of government funding is the NHS which was nationalised by the Labour party after the war. You only have to look at things that have been privaitise to see they have cost the customer more with worse service and First Cymru is just one of them. If you look properly into things Thatcherism has been a disaster for us in our area which we have never fully recovered from either when there has or hasnt been an Assembly.

Just as another example of this kind of policy. When I started with the old Inland Revenue we had offices in Aberystwyth, Haverfordwest, Carmarthen, Llanelli, Swansea, Neath, Port Talbot, Bridgend, Newport, Pontypool, Pontypridd, Aberdare, Merthyr Tydfil and Brecon. Every one has been closed by the UK government yet people like you try to blame the WG. All these towns has suffered job losses and no future jobs for local school leavers. This is the policy of UK government yet people blame the WG.
Home Rule on 11:05 - Mar 5 with 786 viewsonehunglow

Home Rule on 10:57 - Mar 5 by exhmrc1

Just saying it as it is. Our industries were closed in the 1980s due to the very reasons Cat, you and others want to close Cardiff Airport. It isnt the only thing to get subsidies. Other forms of transport do as well and more importantly the biggest source of government funding is the NHS which was nationalised by the Labour party after the war. You only have to look at things that have been privaitise to see they have cost the customer more with worse service and First Cymru is just one of them. If you look properly into things Thatcherism has been a disaster for us in our area which we have never fully recovered from either when there has or hasnt been an Assembly.

Just as another example of this kind of policy. When I started with the old Inland Revenue we had offices in Aberystwyth, Haverfordwest, Carmarthen, Llanelli, Swansea, Neath, Port Talbot, Bridgend, Newport, Pontypool, Pontypridd, Aberdare, Merthyr Tydfil and Brecon. Every one has been closed by the UK government yet people like you try to blame the WG. All these towns has suffered job losses and no future jobs for local school leavers. This is the policy of UK government yet people blame the WG.

Don't be offended by the Doc.Just take to be told. He knows it all.

Home Rule on 11:51 - Mar 5 with 770 viewspencoedjack

Does anyone read his recycled drivel.

There are many good left wing posters on here I disagree with but respect their opinion.

Him & the Indy kid are not worth the time of day.
[Post edited 5 Mar 2021 11:52]
Login to get fewer ads

Home Rule on 13:29 - Mar 5 with 765 viewsexhmrc1

Home Rule on 11:05 - Mar 5 by onehunglow

Don't be offended by the Doc.Just take to be told. He knows it all.

I am not offended by all of this. At least you honestly admit to be a Tory and I respect you for that. There are a number of others on here who want Thatcherite right wing policies and try to say they arent Tories.

We have suffered a hell of a lot in this area through Thatcher's policies. Our steel and mines were ruined and yet these people instead of blaming those responsible try to blame the Welsh Government. They didnt close our industries. They didnt renege on rail electrification. They did back the new University campus, Baglan Energy Park and the Enterprise Park and Swansea Vale. Helped get jobs here from places like Admiral and HSBC. Compare the actions of both. The UK government who reneged on rail electrification, were responsible for closing offices and industries or the Welsh Government who have helped bring jobs here.

I dont know how aware you are of HMRC but they are closing nearly every office in the UK. There will be a few left in the UK in bigger centres like Cardiff, Belfast, Birmingham, Liverpool etc. All offices in mid sized towns have been closed leaving no jobs for kids leaving school. Nearly all customs at docks were closed and run by a mobile team run from Wolverhampton who will then be directed by risk. No wonder all the drugs are coming here.
Home Rule on 13:57 - Mar 5 with 756 viewsonehunglow

Home Rule on 13:29 - Mar 5 by exhmrc1

I am not offended by all of this. At least you honestly admit to be a Tory and I respect you for that. There are a number of others on here who want Thatcherite right wing policies and try to say they arent Tories.

We have suffered a hell of a lot in this area through Thatcher's policies. Our steel and mines were ruined and yet these people instead of blaming those responsible try to blame the Welsh Government. They didnt close our industries. They didnt renege on rail electrification. They did back the new University campus, Baglan Energy Park and the Enterprise Park and Swansea Vale. Helped get jobs here from places like Admiral and HSBC. Compare the actions of both. The UK government who reneged on rail electrification, were responsible for closing offices and industries or the Welsh Government who have helped bring jobs here.

I dont know how aware you are of HMRC but they are closing nearly every office in the UK. There will be a few left in the UK in bigger centres like Cardiff, Belfast, Birmingham, Liverpool etc. All offices in mid sized towns have been closed leaving no jobs for kids leaving school. Nearly all customs at docks were closed and run by a mobile team run from Wolverhampton who will then be directed by risk. No wonder all the drugs are coming here.

BUT,I am not a TORY and Im afraid ,you have like many failed to understand me.
I admit to being tricky and enigmatic.However I am my own man and care not one shyte about what others might opine as long a they do not attack me personally.Then I will unleash whatever I can at them a I can't be there to samsh them in the face.Nobody has ever said anything to my face and Ive met plenty of posters at games. Fact. People hide behind usernames on here.They post "positive " drivel.To have any respect on here ,you have to be .
1.Welsh speaking
2.A former miner/steelworker
3.Poor
4.Hate Thatcher
5.Vote Labour whatever the candidate.

I am for no party.If you read what I post,I have given bojo as much invective as the filth that was Corbyn.

I will opine and tell it as I see it. I will willingly also fall out with those who even agree with me .

BE YOURSELF AND LOOK IN THE GLASS

JUT FOR YOU

Home Rule on 16:03 - Mar 5 with 746 viewsJack59

Home Rule on 09:23 - Mar 5 by exhmrc1

Cardiff Airport isnt in Cardiff and serves the whole South Wales population including West Wales. In fact, the further west the more useful it becomes. Travelling from Gwent to Bristol airport is almost as easy as going to Cardiff Airport. Those from Swansea and West already travel an hour or more and then add on the additional time getting to Bristol.

The Thatcher government removed public transport from national control. United Welsh group which owned First Cymru bought out buses in our area. Some time later the Directors who were previously managers of the nationalised company did a Huw Jenkins and sold out for millions.. Clearly that was done for the good of the Taxpayer wasnt it.

In the meantime First have been cutting bus services and increasing fares for its passengers. Again this has worked hasnt it.

Some areas have been left without buses. In order to ensure there were services council's have had to provide services so the end result of Thatcher's plan is that some made money out of her ideas whilst the public still has to pay for it.

Some on here complained about the Welsh Government delaying the vaccination of over 80s until the AZ vaccine came online. Clearly said by people like yourself who either dont care about the difficulties older people face or have a complete failure of understanding of problems.

As an example take someone going by public transport from Brynamman to the Bay Field Hospital.

It would involve catching a bus which runs 3 times a day from Brynamman to Swansea taking nearly an hour and a half. They would have to change bus in the Quadrant and catch a further bus out followed by a substantial walk. It would end up taking 2 hours each way together with a likely 3 hour wait in Swansea for the bus home yet people here wanted this to go ahead.

As a result of cuts in services places like Brynamman, Cwmgors, Craig Cefn Parc and Three Crosses were left without any services until the local councils stepped in. They and places like Banwen and the Gower only have services at all because they are local authority services. Yet the likes of you and others pretend things were better than they were pre Thatcher.

Our major industries were decimated under her and people wonder why there are fewer jobs here. Maybe people need to look back at the real reasons why we are in this position.

Catullus you and others have complained about the state having to fund companies. The biggest cost to the taxpayer is the NHS which was nationalised under Attlee. Should we get rid of the NHS because it costs money. It isnt my view but totally inconsistent with yours and others.

Ha1 Ha! you're reminding me now of John Cleese when he was being chopped up in that film 'The Black Knight'
He didn't know when he was really well beaten either!

Home Rule on 17:54 - Mar 5 with 708 viewsjohnlangy

Home Rule on 13:29 - Mar 5 by exhmrc1

I asked in an earlier post if you could explain the logic or siting all the Welsh HMRC jobs in Cardiff. Maybe you didn't see the post.

Are you able to explain ?
Home Rule on 18:16 - Mar 5 with 706 viewsCatullus

He's trying to defend the Senedd by invoking Thatcher. It's more than a bit desperate.

Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?

Home Rule on 18:25 - Mar 5 with 702 viewsexhmrc1

Home Rule on 18:16 - Mar 5 by Catullus

He's trying to defend the Senedd by invoking Thatcher. It's more than a bit desperate.

No it is you who are proposing Thatcher's policies. That is why I replied. The argument you have made is classic Thatcher. Just take out Cardiff Airport and replace it with the coal mines and you will see it is the same.

Perhaps you need to look into the actions of Clement Attlee's post war Labour government and see how it nationalised industries which is basically what has happened in Cardiff Airport. Labour supporters werent the advocating the Thatcherite policies you do.

The Coal Industry Nationalisation Act of 1946 (9 & 10 Geo. 6 c. 59)[1] is an Act of the Parliament of the United Kingdom which nationalised, or bought into state control, the coal industry in Great Britain. It established the National Coal Board as the managing authority for coal mining and coal processing activities. It also initially provided for the establishment of consumers' councils. The Coal Industry Nationalisation Act 1946 was the first of a number of Acts promulgated by the post-war Labour government to nationalise elements of the UK's industrial infrastructure; other Acts include the Electricity Act 1947; the Transport Act 1947 (railways and long-distance road haulage); the Gas Act 1948; and the Iron and Steel Act 1949.[
[Post edited 5 Mar 2021 18:34]
Home Rule on 18:36 - Mar 5 with 698 viewsCatullus

Oh no, not the old chestnut again...so we're tories are we? We want Thatcherite policies do we?

If you'd been around on here longer you'd know different. I won't speak for others but I have always said certain things should be nationalised, all our utilities to start with.
I think buses and trains should be nationalised too but they would pay for themselves, specially if they were improved, prices reduced and run properly.

Yhey have tried and tried with the airport, even private business owners couldn't get a profit.
CWA is out of the way and more expensive to use than Bristol. The only place it is easy for is Cardiff. It will never have the passenger numbers because ( as you like to say when talking of Senedd spending) the bulk of the popultion lives in South East Wales so anybody to the East of Cardiff will find Bristol much cheaper and just as easy. Anybody North of Hereford will find going to Manchester (2hrs 26) or Birmingham (1hr21) just as easy AND cheaper, anybody in North Wales would laugh at it being called WALES airport when they can get to Ireland more quickly. Holyhead to Dublin is 3rs 15 minutes but 4hrs 35 to drive to CWA. Holyhead to Birmingham airport by car...3 hrs 8 mins and Manchester airport is less than 2 hours.

Home Rule on 19:04 - Mar 5 with 691 viewsKilkennyjack

Drakers on his was to Indy....,

Come on Professor ...

Beware of the Risen People

Home Rule on 19:12 - Mar 5 with 688 viewsCatullus

Home Rule on 18:25 - Mar 5 by exhmrc1

No it is you who are proposing Thatcher's policies. That is why I replied. The argument you have made is classic Thatcher. Just take out Cardiff Airport and replace it with the coal mines and you will see it is the same.

Perhaps you need to look into the actions of Clement Attlee's post war Labour government and see how it nationalised industries which is basically what has happened in Cardiff Airport. Labour supporters werent the advocating the Thatcherite policies you do.

The Coal Industry Nationalisation Act of 1946 (9 & 10 Geo. 6 c. 59)[1] is an Act of the Parliament of the United Kingdom which nationalised, or bought into state control, the coal industry in Great Britain. It established the National Coal Board as the managing authority for coal mining and coal processing activities. It also initially provided for the establishment of consumers' councils. The Coal Industry Nationalisation Act 1946 was the first of a number of Acts promulgated by the post-war Labour government to nationalise elements of the UK's industrial infrastructure; other Acts include the Electricity Act 1947; the Transport Act 1947 (railways and long-distance road haulage); the Gas Act 1948; and the Iron and Steel Act 1949.[
[Post edited 5 Mar 2021 18:34]

I don't remember Thatcher buying any aiports? What happened with the miners has absolutely nothing in common or to do with CWA.

Until the miners strikes our coal mines turned a profit, provided many more jobs than CWA and whole towns depended on them. They were spread out through the valleys too, unlike today where the Senedd is focussing investment in a small part of Wales.

Home Rule on 19:20 - Mar 5 with 687 viewsDr_Winston

Home Rule on 17:54 - Mar 5 by johnlangy

I asked in an earlier post if you could explain the logic or siting all the Welsh HMRC jobs in Cardiff. Maybe you didn't see the post.

It is quite amusing that people think that decision was made without the full support of the WG.

Wrexham can sod off. Cardiff needs more well paid Government jobs.

Home Rule on 20:47 - Mar 5 with 663 viewsexhmrc1

Home Rule on 17:54 - Mar 5 by johnlangy

As far as I can and it might be a bit long winded.

Initially the smaller offices were closed. First Port Talbot was moved into Neath and subsequently Neath and Llanelli into Swansea. Then places like Aber and Haverfordwest were closed. Eventually 2 months ago the largest office in Swansea was closed.

I dont agree with but HMRC'S logic is to centralise all its operations into a small number of offices. I think it is 13 throughout the UK and Cardiff was chosen due to being the big city and also the fact that there was a large concentration of staff already there. Most of the staff in West Wales have been made redundant. I was told by an ex colleague that only 4 staff went to Cardiff but I am really uncertain if that is true.

The issue is many of the staff come from far and wide. We had staff from places as far apart as Narberth and Cowbridge. A large percentage of the staff were getting older as well.

The Welsh Government supported the efforts to keep the office open. The office is large enough to hold 500 staff but there was nowhere near that at the end as many kike me had already retired. It was also supported by local MPs and AS members.

However HMRC was adamant it intended to move from 400 or more offices to approx 13 and these had to be in the bigger centre such as Cardiff, Bristol and Birmingham and wanted offices with over 3000 staff in them. It decided to close Tynant and despite the rubbish being posted on here the Welsh Government had nothing to do with this decision. In fact places elsewhere in the UK have been treated the same.
Home Rule on 22:35 - Mar 5 with 646 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Home Rule on 10:57 - Mar 5 by exhmrc1

It is called modernisation, back in the old days tax records when kept on paper so you had to have local office. The computer was invented in the 1980s and it is clearly more efficient to put the main computer on one building with the staff particularly as most people can fill in their tax returns online you cannot stop progress. Was the ssne with most of the Welsh industries, inefficient, making outdated products that no one would buy and prevented by unions from modernising.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Home Rule on 22:42 - Mar 5 with 632 viewsKilkennyjack

Home Rule on 09:13 - Mar 5 by onehunglow

Let' be "neutral" like Ireland

Not just Ireland though, you can add Portugal, Spain, Germany, Italy, Holland, Denmark, Poland etc.

Not so funny now, right ?

Home Rule on 22:46 - Mar 5 with 629 viewsKilkennyjack

Home Rule on 22:35 - Mar 5 by felixstowe_jack

It is called modernisation, back in the old days tax records when kept on paper so you had to have local office. The computer was invented in the 1980s and it is clearly more efficient to put the main computer on one building with the staff particularly as most people can fill in their tax returns online you cannot stop progress. Was the ssne with most of the Welsh industries, inefficient, making outdated products that no one would buy and prevented by unions from modernising.

You think they have a main computer in the building ?

😳

Home Rule on 23:23 - Mar 5 with 622 viewsexhmrc1

Home Rule on 19:12 - Mar 5 by Catullus

I don't remember Thatcher buying any aiports? What happened with the miners has absolutely nothing in common or to do with CWA.

Until the miners strikes our coal mines turned a profit, provided many more jobs than CWA and whole towns depended on them. They were spread out through the valleys too, unlike today where the Senedd is focussing investment in a small part of Wales.

The issue you raised is a business that is losing money is being supported by a government body in other words the airport has been nationalised and you feel that money shouldnt be spent in that way. That is exactly the argument Thatcher used in closing coal mines. It is exactly the same principle ie Thatcherism.

As far as subsidising industries the bus companies are paid to run unprofitable services. Places like Banwen, Brynamman and Craig Cefn Parc otherwise wouldnt have one. Other services throughout Wales are run as subsidised services. It is no different paying money to a private bus company to run services than it is to pay CWA to run an airport.

It is just your hatred of anything in Cardiff, anything to do with Drakeford and the Labour Party and anything to do with the Welsh Government that wants you to close it.

You keep saying you are left of centre but dont support parties led by 2 left of centre leaders in Mark Drakeford and Adam Price.

Prior to the pandemic 1.6 million passengers used Cardiff Wales Airport in year. 1.6 million people you want to send to Bristol Airport and add an hour each way to their journeys. It says it all.
Home Rule on 08:31 - Mar 6 with 573 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Home Rule on 22:42 - Mar 5 by Kilkennyjack

Not just Ireland though, you can add Portugal, Spain, Germany, Italy, Holland, Denmark, Poland etc.

Not so funny now, right ?

Don't think Germany, Italy were neutral in the war unless you have reinvented history. Poland , Netherlands Denmark were of course neutral but that did not stop Germany invading them.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Home Rule on 08:45 - Mar 6 with 563 viewsKilkennyjack

Home Rule on 08:31 - Mar 6 by felixstowe_jack

Don't think Germany, Italy were neutral in the war unless you have reinvented history. Poland , Netherlands Denmark were of course neutral but that did not stop Germany invading them.

Its about needing nuclear weapons that nobody will ever fire, or funding more positive things like nurses and education.

Save £205 billion from Trident, like most other nations.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024