Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Swansea City v WBA : Matchday Thread : 2021/22 AFTERMATH 14:31 - Oct 17 with 15037 viewsNotLoyal

Following the swans dominant performance against Cardiff next up at the newly named stadium are West Bromwich Albion in the EFL Championship. It’s a night game which means it will be dark, and there will be floodlights and chips no doubt as well.

Match Officials,
There will be a referee, and two other chaps there with flags, another chap will be there but not on the pitch, well, sort of not on it but he will be.

Referee SIMON HOOPER
Flag blokes Daniel Robathan and Derek Eaton
Bloke everyone shouts at called the Fourth Official : Lee Swabey

Hoppy hasn’t reffed a swans game this season, he will be easily spotted as he has a John Hartson haircut.

Swans record against WBA
Games won: 18
Games drawn: 10
Games lost: 17

Latest form guide

Swansea City 0 WBA 0
The last time the sides met was on the 7th March 2020. The game ended in a 0-0 draw. It was Swansea who threatened first as defender Joe Rodon saw a header blocked after rising high to meet a Conor Gallagher free-kick, while Andre Ayew could not divert Rhian Brewster's drive goal-wards. Albion were probing at the other end, but the team who began the day as the division's leading scorers struggled to open Swansea up.

Freddie Woodman was forced into action just once before the break, the on-loan Newcastle goalkeeper diving to his left to save Callum Robinson's shot after Swansea had given the ball away on the edge of their own box. The breakthrough might have come seconds after the restart as Matt Grimes' drive was parried by Albion keeper Sam Johnstone and Jay Fulton sliced the rebound over the bar.

A low Grimes free-kick saw Fulton send another effort over the top before Romaine Sawyers' deflected long-ranger whistled over Woodman's goal. Ayew then saw an overhead kick drift too high before Albion skipper Jake Livermore shot wastefully off target in the dying minutes.

Swansea City on a crest of a wave. Baggies confident of a win. 19th Oct 2021 18:14
Swansea City fresh from their thumping victory over Cardiff go in to their biggest test of the season at the Swansea.Com stadium tomorrow night. A game which has been selected for the Sky Sports main event football match for Wednesday. Both sides have a few selection issues after winning derby games over the weekend, 0

Full strength Swansea City to take on West Brom tonight 20th Oct 2021 11:08
Russell Martin has confirmed he has a full strength side to choose from for tonight’s exciting encounter at the Swansea.Com stadium against West Bromwich Albion. Michael Obafemi could find himself on the bench as the swans go in search of a second home win in three days. 0

Tonight’s teams Swansea City v WBA 20th Oct 2021 18:45
Tonight’s teams at the Swansea.com stadium have been announced. 0

Swansea City stun Albion with a superb second half performance 21st Oct 2021 08:00
A superb display in total football in the second half of this encounter gave the swans all three points to haul them up to mid table in the championship. After a fairly even first half, albeit seeing the baggies go one up, the second half was a master class in possession football and determination in front of goal. 0

Matchday Programme
https://issuu.com/swanseacityafc/docs/swans-west-brom-21-22-programme-v01

More to follow.

This post has been edited by an administrator

OK I've changed it.
Poll: The FINALS : Poster of the year 2022

Swansea City v WBA : Matchday Thread : 2021/22 TUES UPDATE on 11:50 - Oct 22 with 786 viewsvetchonian

Swansea City v WBA : Matchday Thread : 2021/22 TUES UPDATE on 11:12 - Oct 22 by onehunglow

I know -cheeky monkey-.

No offence meant with the monkey reference

HOw did you know I was from Morriston

Poll: Will CCFC win a game this season?

Swansea City v WBA : Matchday Thread : 2021/22 TUES UPDATE on 11:55 - Oct 22 with 769 viewsonehunglow

Swansea City v WBA : Matchday Thread : 2021/22 TUES UPDATE on 11:50 - Oct 22 by vetchonian

HOw did you know I was from Morriston

The Gypsy woman told me

Not suggesting you are of Romany look ,mind you

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Swansea City v WBA : Matchday Thread : 2021/22 TUES UPDATE on 23:41 - Oct 22 with 700 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Swansea City v WBA : Matchday Thread : 2021/22 TUES UPDATE on 06:58 - Oct 22 by jasper_T

Grimes was on the ball more than Downes in the Cardiff game. Played more passes (82 vs 68) with a higher accuracy rate (89% vs 85%). More touches (91 vs 80). Grimes and Naughton topped the possession rankings, Downes below Manning in a shameful 4th place. Downes was dispossessed more often than any other player on the pitch bar Moore.

So yes, if you're claiming Downes was showing "multiple times more" than Grimes in that game then clearly you are missing something as reality doesn't back you up. Defensively he's done very well, probably an upgrade on Grimes whose work in that area was always underappreciated, but with the ball people are seeing what they want to see unfortunately. He's got a way to go before he imposes himself on games the way Grimes has for the past three seasons.

I’m so happy that your statistics back up your prejudice.

Simple fact of the matter - Downes had the bigger influence on the match and if you’ve ever seen Grimes disposes a big striker running into the area, then beat a player almost in the same instant and play a virtually perfect ball to Laird and we all know what happened next.

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Swansea City v WBA : Matchday Thread : 2021/22 TUES UPDATE on 23:45 - Oct 22 with 699 viewsFireboy2

Swansea City v WBA : Matchday Thread : 2021/22 TUES UPDATE on 23:41 - Oct 22 by Brynmill_Jack

Simple fact of the matter - Downes had the bigger influence on the match and if you’ve ever seen Grimes disposes a big striker running into the area, then beat a player almost in the same instant and play a virtually perfect ball to Laird and we all know what happened next.

Didn't need to say anything as it was perfectly put 👌
Swansea City v WBA : Matchday Thread : 2021/22 TUES UPDATE on 00:52 - Oct 23 with 680 viewsjasper_T

Swansea City v WBA : Matchday Thread : 2021/22 TUES UPDATE on 23:41 - Oct 22 by Brynmill_Jack

Bit rich of you of all people to accuse someone else of prejudice re: Grimes.
Swansea City v WBA : Matchday Thread : 2021/22 TUES UPDATE on 01:21 - Oct 23 with 668 viewsDr_Parnassus

Swansea City v WBA : Matchday Thread : 2021/22 TUES UPDATE on 00:52 - Oct 23 by jasper_T

Bit rich of you of all people to accuse someone else of prejudice re: Grimes.

It is funny when stats show an opinion to be wrong.

Then it’s your prejudice that must be the problem, the stats must not be reliable, or eyes are better than facts…. Or something.

All the while the players are running around with wearable stat trackers and clubs are employing statistical analysts all over the place.

Fans make me laugh. Especially ones that clearly have no idea what they are watching.

Swansea Independent Poster of the Year 2021 and 2022.
Poll: Would you swap Ayew for Piroe?

Swansea City v WBA : Matchday Thread : 2021/22 TUES UPDATE on 08:27 - Oct 23 with 653 viewsAndyCole

Swansea City v WBA : Matchday Thread : 2021/22 TUES UPDATE on 22:12 - Oct 21 by Dr_Winston

That's an opinion I guess.

Against Cardiff Downes was showing for the ball a hell of a lot more than Grimes. Multiple times more. That's not even going into the hustle that resulted in our third goal.

For me Downes has utterly shown Grimes up all season in what can be done from that role, but as I say. Maybe there's something I'm missing.

Oh dear, the standards of analysis are steadily plummeting for some on here.

Either that or perennial trolling. Most probably both.

Suffice to say - some are clearly Missing something significant, consistently.

Downes need a rest, to watch and learn from the side lines. Much like a certain troupe of challenged posters.

Pro free speech and alternative opinions - Anti gang-bullying and poor modding thereof - Will always make a stand against those who consistently choose to turn a blind eye

Swansea City v WBA : Matchday Thread : 2021/22 TUES UPDATE on 08:54 - Oct 23 with 636 viewsWhiterockin

Swansea City v WBA : Matchday Thread : 2021/22 TUES UPDATE on 01:21 - Oct 23 by Dr_Parnassus

It is funny when stats show an opinion to be wrong.

Then it’s your prejudice that must be the problem, the stats must not be reliable, or eyes are better than facts…. Or something.

All the while the players are running around with wearable stat trackers and clubs are employing statistical analysts all over the place.

Fans make me laugh. Especially ones that clearly have no idea what they are watching.

This is worth a read, I doubt whether you will accept it or agree with it, but the point stands.

https://theathletic.com/1763286/2020/04/23/bad-stats-but-good-player-analysis/

A key phrase in the article below.
"Of course, stats are used by people with too much time on their hands to try and win social media arguments and are referenced in other unsavory parts of football culture. On top of that, they’re often used wrongly."

https://www.football365.com/news/football-statistics-opinion-john-nicholson

I will just leave this out there for posters to draw their own conclusions.
Login to get fewer ads

Swansea City v WBA : Matchday Thread : 2021/22 TUES UPDATE on 09:25 - Oct 23 with 600 viewsDr_Parnassus

Swansea City v WBA : Matchday Thread : 2021/22 TUES UPDATE on 08:54 - Oct 23 by Whiterockin

This is worth a read, I doubt whether you will accept it or agree with it, but the point stands.

https://theathletic.com/1763286/2020/04/23/bad-stats-but-good-player-analysis/

A key phrase in the article below.
"Of course, stats are used by people with too much time on their hands to try and win social media arguments and are referenced in other unsavory parts of football culture. On top of that, they’re often used wrongly."

https://www.football365.com/news/football-statistics-opinion-john-nicholson

I will just leave this out there for posters to draw their own conclusions.

Of course I don't accept it, and neither would anyone in football or the statistic industry. Of which I am, of course.

We are professionals and our relevant businesses relies on them being accurately understood and applied.

Those that complain about stats tend to be ones that don't understand them or don't like what they show. They end up giving summaries like the one you linked, just a bitter individual that has had his opinion proven incorrectly one too many times by facts, most likely.

We have those types on here too, they aren't a rare breed these days sadly.

There is a reason why under every single one of our players jerseys is a stat monitor.... Maybe forward the link to Martin and the rest of the professional football clubs and related businesses that thrive and improve on them.

Edit - that link however has nothing to do with this discussion. That link is referring to judging a player on stats. Which of course you cannot do, and isn't what they are used for on here.

Stats on here are to show what has happened such as ''Grimes had more of the ball than Downes'' - that is not subjective, stats can show that beyond doubt.

''We play the same number of long balls as we did at he start'' - again stats show that to be wrong, there is no judging there, its just pure fact based numbers.

Your link is criticising stats to judge how good a player is, which I don't think anyone has done... have they?

How good something/someone is, is subjective. What actually happened, is not. that is what stats are used for.
[Post edited 23 Oct 2021 9:34]

Swansea City v WBA : Matchday Thread : 2021/22 TUES UPDATE on 10:03 - Oct 23 with 581 views34dfgdf54

Swansea City v WBA : Matchday Thread : 2021/22 TUES UPDATE on 09:25 - Oct 23 by Dr_Parnassus

Of course I don't accept it, and neither would anyone in football or the statistic industry. Of which I am, of course.

We are professionals and our relevant businesses relies on them being accurately understood and applied.

Those that complain about stats tend to be ones that don't understand them or don't like what they show. They end up giving summaries like the one you linked, just a bitter individual that has had his opinion proven incorrectly one too many times by facts, most likely.

There is a reason why under every single one of our players jerseys is a stat monitor.... Maybe forward the link to Martin and the rest of the professional football clubs and related businesses that thrive and improve on them.

Edit - that link however has nothing to do with this discussion. That link is referring to judging a player on stats. Which of course you cannot do, and isn't what they are used for on here.

Stats on here are to show what has happened such as ''Grimes had more of the ball than Downes'' - that is not subjective, stats can show that beyond doubt.

''We play the same number of long balls as we did at he start'' - again stats show that to be wrong, there is no judging there, its just pure fact based numbers.

Your link is criticising stats to judge how good a player is, which I don't think anyone has done... have they?

How good something/someone is, is subjective. What actually happened, is not. that is what stats are used for.

Professionals don’t tell the forum we are playing Bournemouth in play offs, then tell the forum the next manager is without doubt Terry or Morris because the odds at the time would never drop that low, something about the odds suggesting people who would know are placing money down…. It must have been AndyCole with his record of being “itk”
Swansea City v WBA : Matchday Thread : 2021/22 TUES UPDATE on 10:05 - Oct 23 with 575 viewsDr_Parnassus

Swansea City v WBA : Matchday Thread : 2021/22 TUES UPDATE on 10:03 - Oct 23 by 34dfgdf54

Professionals don’t tell the forum we are playing Bournemouth in play offs, then tell the forum the next manager is without doubt Terry or Morris because the odds at the time would never drop that low, something about the odds suggesting people who would know are placing money down…. It must have been AndyCole with his record of being “itk”

No, professionals tell the forum that Bournemouth is statistically the most likely opponent though, which of course they were. Professionals also correctly told you that managers never get that short unless the correct people are placing money on it, which is also correct.

Keep up at the back squire.

Swansea City v WBA : Matchday Thread : 2021/22 TUES UPDATE on 10:07 - Oct 23 with 576 views34dfgdf54

Swansea City v WBA : Matchday Thread : 2021/22 TUES UPDATE on 10:05 - Oct 23 by Dr_Parnassus

No, professionals tell the forum that Bournemouth is statistically the most likely opponent though, which of course they were. Professionals also correctly told you that managers never get that short unless the correct people are placing money on it, which is also correct.

Keep up at the back squire.

That Morris and Terry thing superb aswell.

The amount you get wrong and still try to save face, brilliant
Swansea City v WBA : Matchday Thread : 2021/22 TUES UPDATE on 10:09 - Oct 23 with 570 viewsDr_Parnassus

Swansea City v WBA : Matchday Thread : 2021/22 TUES UPDATE on 10:07 - Oct 23 by 34dfgdf54

That Morris and Terry thing superb aswell.

The amount you get wrong and still try to save face, brilliant

What did I get wrong?

Sadly, you take my factual statements and call them wrong. When in fact they are correct.

If I say its unlikely you win the lottery tomorrow, and you do... I am still right.

Not something you seem to be able to grasp of course, but we have fun trying to explain to you don't we. Wouldn't have it any other way.

Swansea City v WBA : Matchday Thread : 2021/22 TUES UPDATE on 11:13 - Oct 23 with 549 viewsWhiterockin

Swansea City v WBA : Matchday Thread : 2021/22 TUES UPDATE on 09:25 - Oct 23 by Dr_Parnassus

"Of course I don't accept it, and neither would anyone in football or the statistic industry. Of which I am, of course."

https://footballwhispers.com/blog/paul-walsh-football-statistics-can-be-misleadi
Swansea City v WBA : Matchday Thread : 2021/22 TUES UPDATE on 11:15 - Oct 23 with 536 viewsDr_Parnassus

Swansea City v WBA : Matchday Thread : 2021/22 TUES UPDATE on 11:13 - Oct 23 by Whiterockin

"Of course I don't accept it, and neither would anyone in football or the statistic industry. Of which I am, of course."

https://footballwhispers.com/blog/paul-walsh-football-statistics-can-be-misleadi

''Former player''.

He is a low level pundit, stopped playing in 1996 and has nothing to do with football or the use of statistics at all.

''When I was playing, we never really had access to statistics in the way that players and fans do these days.'', he says.

A 60 year old (59) dinosaur who clearly has no idea the impact of such a thing on the modern game.
[Post edited 23 Oct 2021 11:17]

Swansea City v WBA : Matchday Thread : 2021/22 TUES UPDATE on 11:19 - Oct 23 with 530 viewsWhiterockin

Swansea City v WBA : Matchday Thread : 2021/22 TUES UPDATE on 11:15 - Oct 23 by Dr_Parnassus

''Former player''.

He is a low level pundit, stopped playing in 1996 and has nothing to do with football or the use of statistics at all.

''When I was playing, we never really had access to statistics in the way that players and fans do these days.'', he says.

A 60 year old (59) dinosaur who clearly has no idea the impact of such a thing on the modern game.
[Post edited 23 Oct 2021 11:17]

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/arsene-wenger-statistics-dont-alway

The list is endless, I'll just leave it there.
[Post edited 23 Oct 2021 11:22]
Swansea City v WBA : Matchday Thread : 2021/22 TUES UPDATE on 11:21 - Oct 23 with 517 viewsDr_Parnassus

Swansea City v WBA : Matchday Thread : 2021/22 TUES UPDATE on 11:19 - Oct 23 by Whiterockin

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/arsene-wenger-statistics-dont-alway

The list is endless, I'll just leave it there.
[Post edited 23 Oct 2021 11:22]

He is talking about using stats to judge a player.

So same response as I gave the first time. Nobody is doing that, that is not what stats are used for.

Swansea City v WBA : Matchday Thread : 2021/22 AFTERMATH on 13:16 - Oct 23 with 483 viewsjasper_T

Some people have taken the fact that "stats can be misleading" to mean "stats are at best meaningless and otherwise misleading", and get very precious whenever stats are used to support or challenge specific arguments (like "Downes was showing for the ball a hell of a lot more than Grimes. Multiple times more")

Facts over feelings I'm afraid, lads. Just because you want Downes to be Grimes superior in every respect doesn't mean you can make up your own "facts" to prove it without someone noticing and calling it out.
Swansea City v WBA : Matchday Thread : 2021/22 AFTERMATH on 13:23 - Oct 23 with 475 viewsDr_Parnassus

Swansea City v WBA : Matchday Thread : 2021/22 AFTERMATH on 13:16 - Oct 23 by jasper_T

Some people have taken the fact that "stats can be misleading" to mean "stats are at best meaningless and otherwise misleading", and get very precious whenever stats are used to support or challenge specific arguments (like "Downes was showing for the ball a hell of a lot more than Grimes. Multiple times more")

Facts over feelings I'm afraid, lads. Just because you want Downes to be Grimes superior in every respect doesn't mean you can make up your own "facts" to prove it without someone noticing and calling it out.

People who don’t understand stats - hate stats.

Largely it comes from people that don’t understand football too, hence why they get perplexed when stats show what they think they saw to be wrong.

Stats in sport is a multi million dollar business and growing. It won’t be going anywhere any time soon as every single club sees the value of it, hence why them employ them all over and even get them to wear wearable stat trackers.

The dinosaurs are in the minority and they will keep getting things wrong by relying on what they think they see.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024