Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Swansea City v WBA : Matchday Thread : 2021/22 AFTERMATH 14:31 - Oct 17 with 15036 viewsNotLoyal

Following the swans dominant performance against Cardiff next up at the newly named stadium are West Bromwich Albion in the EFL Championship. It’s a night game which means it will be dark, and there will be floodlights and chips no doubt as well.

Match Officials,
There will be a referee, and two other chaps there with flags, another chap will be there but not on the pitch, well, sort of not on it but he will be.

Referee SIMON HOOPER
Flag blokes Daniel Robathan and Derek Eaton
Bloke everyone shouts at called the Fourth Official : Lee Swabey

Hoppy hasn’t reffed a swans game this season, he will be easily spotted as he has a John Hartson haircut.

Swans record against WBA
Games won: 18
Games drawn: 10
Games lost: 17

Latest form guide

Swansea City 0 WBA 0
The last time the sides met was on the 7th March 2020. The game ended in a 0-0 draw. It was Swansea who threatened first as defender Joe Rodon saw a header blocked after rising high to meet a Conor Gallagher free-kick, while Andre Ayew could not divert Rhian Brewster's drive goal-wards. Albion were probing at the other end, but the team who began the day as the division's leading scorers struggled to open Swansea up.

Freddie Woodman was forced into action just once before the break, the on-loan Newcastle goalkeeper diving to his left to save Callum Robinson's shot after Swansea had given the ball away on the edge of their own box. The breakthrough might have come seconds after the restart as Matt Grimes' drive was parried by Albion keeper Sam Johnstone and Jay Fulton sliced the rebound over the bar.

A low Grimes free-kick saw Fulton send another effort over the top before Romaine Sawyers' deflected long-ranger whistled over Woodman's goal. Ayew then saw an overhead kick drift too high before Albion skipper Jake Livermore shot wastefully off target in the dying minutes.

Swansea City on a crest of a wave. Baggies confident of a win. 19th Oct 2021 18:14
Swansea City fresh from their thumping victory over Cardiff go in to their biggest test of the season at the Swansea.Com stadium tomorrow night. A game which has been selected for the Sky Sports main event football match for Wednesday. Both sides have a few selection issues after winning derby games over the weekend, 0

Full strength Swansea City to take on West Brom tonight 20th Oct 2021 11:08
Russell Martin has confirmed he has a full strength side to choose from for tonight’s exciting encounter at the Swansea.Com stadium against West Bromwich Albion. Michael Obafemi could find himself on the bench as the swans go in search of a second home win in three days. 0

Tonight’s teams Swansea City v WBA 20th Oct 2021 18:45
Tonight’s teams at the Swansea.com stadium have been announced. 0

Swansea City stun Albion with a superb second half performance 21st Oct 2021 08:00
A superb display in total football in the second half of this encounter gave the swans all three points to haul them up to mid table in the championship. After a fairly even first half, albeit seeing the baggies go one up, the second half was a master class in possession football and determination in front of goal. 0

Matchday Programme
https://issuu.com/swanseacityafc/docs/swans-west-brom-21-22-programme-v01

More to follow.

This post has been edited by an administrator

OK I've changed it.
Poll: The FINALS : Poster of the year 2022

Swansea City v WBA : Matchday Thread : 2021/22 TUES UPDATE on 22:41 - Oct 20 with 1388 viewsFireboy2

Swansea City v WBA : Matchday Thread : 2021/22 TUES UPDATE on 22:38 - Oct 20 by Dr_Winston

He genuinely can't wait to put the boot in. We get a more balanced opinion from Cardiff fans.

We have several who no matter what have something negative to say.

I bet they are a right effing laugh having a pint.
Swansea City v WBA : Matchday Thread : 2021/22 TUES UPDATE on 22:41 - Oct 20 with 1390 viewsunion_jack

Swansea City v WBA : Matchday Thread : 2021/22 TUES UPDATE on 22:14 - Oct 20 by jackrabbit

That was a truly excellent second half played in truly appalling conditions. You can see the team growing in confidence with every game. And the ball is being played with intent in the areas of the field that matter - the final third. Some of the service to Piroe tonight was excellent. It’s what we have been waiting for. Ntcham, Laird, Grimes, Bidwell and the outstanding Paterson all strained to get the ball forward at every opportunity. And Piroe’s movement and intelligent running helped their cause. I’m very pleased for the players - that was a tremendous win over a very capable, but over-physical West Brom side. But I’m also pleased for the manager who deserved that win. It’s all coming together nicely. Next game the players will bound on to the pitch with a massive spring in their step. Great night.

You're the only one I can see who mentions the conditions. They played a huge part this evening and we used them to our advantage. The WBA players were running all over the place whereas we made the ball do the work. It must have been like running up sand dunes at times tonight and they'd have to been extremely fit to last 90 mins closing down like they did.

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

Swansea City v WBA : Matchday Thread : 2021/22 TUES UPDATE on 22:47 - Oct 20 with 1340 viewsDr_Parnassus

Swansea City v WBA : Matchday Thread : 2021/22 TUES UPDATE on 22:41 - Oct 20 by Fireboy2

Any usernames?

Swansea Independent Poster of the Year 2021 and 2022.
Poll: Would you swap Ayew for Piroe?

Swansea City v WBA : Matchday Thread : 2021/22 TUES UPDATE on 22:49 - Oct 20 with 1343 views34dfgdf54

Swansea City v WBA : Matchday Thread : 2021/22 TUES UPDATE on 22:41 - Oct 20 by union_jack

You're the only one I can see who mentions the conditions. They played a huge part this evening and we used them to our advantage. The WBA players were running all over the place whereas we made the ball do the work. It must have been like running up sand dunes at times tonight and they'd have to been extremely fit to last 90 mins closing down like they did.

Pato said after the game we knew they’d tire late on. He was right.

We always looked in control with the ball when we took the lead, that was the most refreshing thing for me tonight.
Swansea City v WBA : Matchday Thread : 2021/22 TUES UPDATE on 22:51 - Oct 20 with 1327 viewsA_Fans_Dad

I am gutted I missed what sounds like a great game.
None of my usual feeds would work tonight.
I think they have found a way to knobble them.
Swansea City v WBA : Matchday Thread : 2021/22 TUES UPDATE on 22:55 - Oct 20 with 1290 viewsBoundy

Swansea City v WBA : Matchday Thread : 2021/22 TUES UPDATE on 22:51 - Oct 20 by A_Fans_Dad

I am gutted I missed what sounds like a great game.
None of my usual feeds would work tonight.
I think they have found a way to knobble them.

You missed a cracker certainly the second half was more than worth getting soaking for

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

Swansea City v WBA : Matchday Thread : 2021/22 on 23:00 - Oct 20 with 1263 viewsmax936

Swansea City v WBA : Matchday Thread : 2021/22 on 22:27 - Oct 20 by Fireboy2

Baggies ponderous? Bloody poppycock, they were ponderous because we made them look ponderous you buffoon.

Tbf I thought taking downes off was a mistake as I think smith isn't as good but fair dos it was a masterstroke in the end.

Grimes did as well but not as good as most of our top performers, hamer, naughton, cabango, bidwell, laird, ntcham, smith, bennett, piroe and especially patterson 😁

Downes had a slight strain in his groin, Martin mentioned it in his after game interview.

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

Swansea City v WBA : Matchday Thread : 2021/22 TUES UPDATE on 23:11 - Oct 20 with 1210 viewsmax936

Swansea City v WBA : Matchday Thread : 2021/22 TUES UPDATE on 22:41 - Oct 20 by Fireboy2

First 10/15mins we looked all over the place at back and in midfield, as they came through us, but we grew into the game finished the half well if not very well, 2nd half we were different class, it was a joy to watch, we just needed a goal, Piroe wrongly waved offside at least twice, then came the goal, although I would have taken a draw at that point, especially after Phillips's cannon ball effort that Hamer somehow got a hand to, we pushed on and Pato got a fabulous 2nd and with a bit of composure Ntcham may have got a third, which I think we deserved on balance.

Overall we were excellent for 70/75 mins.

Login to get fewer ads

Swansea City v WBA : Matchday Thread : 2021/22 TUES UPDATE on 23:17 - Oct 20 with 1170 viewsjacksfullaces

love the way the momentum built in the second half, Brom looked shot, their structure unpicked and they were worn out by the end.

also first time I had the pleasure of the full swans hospitality, monkfish instead of rissole, kev johns, britts and trundle instead of muted sky sports in the concourse.

A one off with a match to ..ahem .. match.

Nice one swans.
Swansea City v WBA : Matchday Thread : 2021/22 on 23:21 - Oct 20 with 1148 viewsCatullus

Swansea City v WBA : Matchday Thread : 2021/22 on 22:27 - Oct 20 by Fireboy2

Baggies ponderous? Bloody poppycock, they were ponderous because we made them look ponderous you buffoon.

Tbf I thought taking downes off was a mistake as I think smith isn't as good but fair dos it was a masterstroke in the end.

Grimes did as well but not as good as most of our top performers, hamer, naughton, cabango, bidwell, laird, ntcham, smith, bennett, piroe and especially patterson 😁

The Baggies were only ponderous when they ran out of steam, they started off like a train, steaming into anything that moved. When they had the ball they moved it forward very quickly but we started slowly and their dierctness and pace caught us out.
The rest of the half was hardly dour, it was us working our way back into the game, it was us pulling WBA's fangs before we struck back and when we'd earned the right through hard work, determination and plenty of skill, we killed them off.
When they'd tired in the second half we did a job on them, had them retreating every time we had the ball. We had them chasing shadows.
Grimes was much better tonight, he's been improving just as the rest of them have, isn't it great what a good coach can do with a decent player. Maybe Fulham will be thinking he's worth more now but maybe there'll be a new contract offer too? When Grimes plays like this you'd have to wonder why we'd sell him when a replacement will take weeks to get up to our speed. I'd rather give Grimes a new contract and look to beef up the bench. Even so, Grimes was far from the best player out there tonight, that was Paterson and Piroe, both MOM in my opinion, I can't split them. Both worked extremely hard, both did a hell of a lot off the ball, Piroe's runs, his movement, considering he's a lone striker and always had 2 men close to him...what a star he was tonight and another great finish, many players would have gone down under the challenge and screamed for a pen but he stayed strong and did it the right way.
The Baggies are big, strong and fast and quite dirty too but tonight our quality was their undoing. I think we still need 2/3 mayeb 4 players to give us depth but if we can keep everybody fit it's going to be an exciting season despite the early problems (which most of us could allow for) and even though we aren't the finished article, there is still work to be done but we are definitely going in th right direction. We just might be going somewhere special again.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Swansea City v WBA : Matchday Thread : 2021/22 TUES UPDATE on 23:22 - Oct 20 with 1146 viewsChief

What's going on with Obafemi then?

Been a few announcements before our last few games about us having a fully fit squad but no sign of him

Poll: Rate the ref's performance today

Swansea City v WBA : Matchday Thread : 2021/22 TUES UPDATE on 23:23 - Oct 20 with 1140 viewsmax936

Swansea City v WBA : Matchday Thread : 2021/22 TUES UPDATE on 23:17 - Oct 20 by jacksfullaces

love the way the momentum built in the second half, Brom looked shot, their structure unpicked and they were worn out by the end.

also first time I had the pleasure of the full swans hospitality, monkfish instead of rissole, kev johns, britts and trundle instead of muted sky sports in the concourse.

A one off with a match to ..ahem .. match.

Nice one swans.

Monkfish, I say! what white wine did you have to wash it down, I hope it wasn't a bottle pf house white

Swansea City v WBA : Matchday Thread : 2021/22 TUES UPDATE on 23:53 - Oct 20 with 1102 viewsBadlands

Didn’t see that result coming but what a second half!
TBF we were given a lesson for 10 - 15 minutes, got more confident as the half went on and just took control in the second half.
I was a bit concerned when Downes was forced off but Ncham showdd his class as did Smith when dropping back to help the defence.
Downes and Ncham, when both are fit, will be an incredible midfield paring.
Martin needs to keep tonight's back three.
Piroe and Paterson starting to look a bit like Sinclair and Borini.

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

Swansea City v WBA : Matchday Thread : 2021/22 TUES UPDATE on 23:55 - Oct 20 with 1098 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Swansea City v WBA : Matchday Thread : 2021/22 TUES UPDATE on 22:13 - Oct 20 by angryjack

Soon as downes went off and Smith dropped into his role and nuchal came on we were different team

If Grimes had been taken off instead of Downes (as should have happened) we’d have been better still.

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Swansea City v WBA : Matchday Thread : 2021/22 TUES UPDATE on 23:57 - Oct 20 with 1081 viewsDr_Parnassus

Swansea City v WBA : Matchday Thread : 2021/22 TUES UPDATE on 23:53 - Oct 20 by Badlands

Didn’t see that result coming but what a second half!
TBF we were given a lesson for 10 - 15 minutes, got more confident as the half went on and just took control in the second half.
I was a bit concerned when Downes was forced off but Ncham showdd his class as did Smith when dropping back to help the defence.
Downes and Ncham, when both are fit, will be an incredible midfield paring.
Martin needs to keep tonight's back three.
Piroe and Paterson starting to look a bit like Sinclair and Borini.

Agree, although I’d say Dobbie and Borini.

Piroe reminds me quite a bit of Borini actually, Borini had a very underrated back to goal game where he would bring in the midfield with a quick control and lay off, Piroe does that excellently.

Pato’s quick feet and balance with added eye for goal from a central position is also very similar to Dobbie.

He has been a revaluation considering the free transfer and lack of fanfare.

Swansea Independent Poster of the Year 2021 and 2022.
Poll: Would you swap Ayew for Piroe?

Swansea City v WBA : Matchday Thread : 2021/22 on 23:59 - Oct 20 with 1091 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Swansea City v WBA : Matchday Thread : 2021/22 on 23:00 - Oct 20 by max936

Downes had a slight strain in his groin, Martin mentioned it in his after game interview.

He was noticeably limping before half time. Yet some people on here who’ve dropped acid think he was out problem. Has it really got to this? Is it the vaccine fecking with peeps eyes and perceptions? There surely must be some explanation for this delusional behaviour?

Swansea City v WBA : Matchday Thread : 2021/22 TUES UPDATE on 00:02 - Oct 21 with 1086 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Swansea City v WBA : Matchday Thread : 2021/22 TUES UPDATE on 23:11 - Oct 20 by max936

First 10/15mins we looked all over the place at back and in midfield, as they came through us, but we grew into the game finished the half well if not very well, 2nd half we were different class, it was a joy to watch, we just needed a goal, Piroe wrongly waved offside at least twice, then came the goal, although I would have taken a draw at that point, especially after Phillips's cannon ball effort that Hamer somehow got a hand to, we pushed on and Pato got a fabulous 2nd and with a bit of composure Ntcham may have got a third, which I think we deserved on balance.

Overall we were excellent for 70/75 mins.

I’d say after their goal we recovered really well. Never really in trouble an the goal was an aberration

Swansea City v WBA : Matchday Thread : 2021/22 TUES UPDATE on 07:13 - Oct 21 with 921 viewsangryjack

Swansea City v WBA : Matchday Thread : 2021/22 TUES UPDATE on 23:55 - Oct 20 by Brynmill_Jack

If Grimes had been taken off instead of Downes (as should have happened) we’d have been better still.

Well it was a fact we were better when ntcam came on and Smith dropped deeper after downes went off,but hyperthetical to say we would been better if it had been grimes
Swansea City v WBA : Matchday Thread : 2021/22 TUES UPDATE on 08:47 - Oct 21 with 830 viewsFireboy2

Swansea City v WBA : Matchday Thread : 2021/22 TUES UPDATE on 07:13 - Oct 21 by angryjack

Well it was a fact we were better when ntcam came on and Smith dropped deeper after downes went off,but hyperthetical to say we would been better if it had been grimes

Or that wba tired and our great fitness levels shone through.

I was quite shocked that ntcham came on for downes as I thought it would be a straight swap for smith but as Bryn has eluded, downes was limping before the end of the first half so that would explain him coming off instead of smith, who am glad to say had a cracking game.
Swansea City v WBA : Matchday Thread : 2021/22 TUES UPDATE on 08:58 - Oct 21 with 820 viewsCatullus

Swansea City v WBA : Matchday Thread : 2021/22 TUES UPDATE on 08:47 - Oct 21 by Fireboy2

Or that wba tired and our great fitness levels shone through.

I was quite shocked that ntcham came on for downes as I thought it would be a straight swap for smith but as Bryn has eluded, downes was limping before the end of the first half so that would explain him coming off instead of smith, who am glad to say had a cracking game.

Downes took a knock before half time didn't he, he looked a bit limpy after that and Martin said he had a slight groin strain too. It wasn't a sub because Downes was poor and somebody (Nantywatcher?) was slating Downes when he's been brilliant, Grimes is getting up to Downes speed now, looking far better.

If we can keep Downes, Ntcham, Pato, Smith and Grimes fit and use them wisely we'll have a strong midfield because they just keep getting better.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Swansea City v WBA : Matchday Thread : 2021/22 TUES UPDATE on 09:22 - Oct 21 with 782 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Swansea City v WBA : Matchday Thread : 2021/22 TUES UPDATE on 07:13 - Oct 21 by angryjack

Not at all. You don’t need meaningless statistics to realise just how much more Downes gives than Grimes. If he wasn’t captain he wouldn’t play. Got away with murder in our penalty area last night - at 2-0 down we would have found it very difficult to win the game.

His contribution is hardly noticeable - I don’t hate the bloke but I’ve never rated him. Any so called top professional footballer worth their salt would at least have some use of their weaker foot. He doesn’t. Played himself and us into trouble last night and just got away with it.

I would love to see how the team gets on when he’s “rested” for a game or two.

Swansea City v WBA : Matchday Thread : 2021/22 TUES UPDATE on 09:26 - Oct 21 with 779 viewsKeithHaynes

Swansea City stun Albion with a superb second half performance 21st Oct 2021 08:00
A superb display in total football in the second half of this encounter gave the swans all three points to haul them up to mid table in the championship. After a fairly even first half, albeit seeing the baggies go one up, the second half was a master class in possession football and determination in front of goal. 0

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Swansea City v WBA : Matchday Thread : 2021/22 TUES UPDATE on 09:34 - Oct 21 with 764 viewsvetchonian

Swansea City v WBA : Matchday Thread : 2021/22 TUES UPDATE on 21:52 - Oct 20 by monmouth

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Let’s hope you go and follow your hero in Nottingham. We don’t want to hang on to you.

I fail to understand your problem

Given your recent posts I was considering giving up this forum but I have never tolerated bullies .

My [post was positive yet yor hatred of Cooper and those who have "supported " him gets the better of you

IT seems it was ok last season for youreself an dothers to come on here and crticise calling the manager a "lucky fraud" despite us winning games and getting results, with us ending up on the play off final yet when this season others have posted on here questioning the "better" football many were bleating about which ubtill these last two games had only brought two narrow wins, and four no score draws two of which at home were so boring we are met with a torrent of abuse, despite speaking with data as opposed to emotion.
I have repeatedly posted every one is entitlled to an opinion and those opinions will not always be matched but people do deserve dignity and respect .....what next fighting amongst ourselves in the stands as we do not see the game the same as those sat next to us?

Over the years I ve witnessed some real crap on the pitch at the vetch what we have been lucky to experience for the majority of our time since moving to the Swanse.aCOm stadium has always been far superior including that served up last season. My post to which you have replied was not negative I was recognisng a good recovery a great win against a side curretnly riding high in the league. You were already predicting a loss before the game maybe getting your escuses in early using the rationale we always lose the game after winning the Derby so you were really positive my only ealrier post questioned if MArtin was an attacking coach or possesion ....then discussed the different opposition we would face before giving the lads a shout....

Cooper is not my herp I just dislike unfairness .....tas many others have said last seasons football was not MArtinez like but it certainly was not in the style of Pullis et al....I know many will disgree abut there we are. yet when this season some fans questioned the euphoric claims of improvement on the pitch they are castigated.... Last night second half we ditched the tikkas tikka for a more direct approach or at least a mixture.
Sides have already worked out how to nullify us with the high press Cardiff started with that on Sunday and remeber Naughton giving away an early free kik last night that tactic gave them a goal.but fair do s we dug in and got the win.Martin appears to be learning.and long may this success continue and despite my so called "negatovoty" and critique I have been behind the manager. I will question decisons like playing Cabango on his wrong foot....somethong the pundits talk about too but fair dos we habe now won two on the trot and are unbeated for 3 games and have scored 5 goals in 2 games lets hope we can continue this and that Patterson and Piroe are wrapped in cottn wool and we can keep them in January. The club already has said it is a "trading " club demonstrated by selling our second highest scorer in the summer..leaving us with no "recognised" scorer....lets hope we can find cover for Pirope too

Sorry Im not going anywhere......as the saying goes Im" Swansea till I die"....

Poll: Will CCFC win a game this season?

Swansea City v WBA : Matchday Thread : 2021/22 TUES UPDATE on 09:39 - Oct 21 with 761 viewsjasper_T

Swansea City v WBA : Matchday Thread : 2021/22 TUES UPDATE on 23:55 - Oct 20 by Brynmill_Jack

Keep banging the drum, mate. Doesn't make you look obsessed at all.
Swansea City v WBA : Matchday Thread : 2021/22 TUES UPDATE on 10:08 - Oct 21 with 726 viewsFlynnidine_Zidownes

Downes is obviously struggling for fitness. he’s one of the first names on the team sheet but they are clearly managing his minutes at the moment.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024