Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
First Car for learning to drive 15:36 - Oct 2 with 6677 viewsjack_lord

I'm looking for a car for my son to learn to drive. Any good tips or contacts would be greatly appreciated.

Lord_Jack increasingly detached from the riches of kicking a ball
Poll: The E U : Stay or Leave

First Car for learning to drive on 16:03 - Oct 2 with 2777 viewsgolly47

My first car was a ford KA, cracking little thing. My missus just started driving and bought a lupo for 650 quid which is also a great first car.

Poll: What was worse?

First Car for learning to drive on 17:14 - Oct 2 with 2742 viewsDavillin

Tips:

Use a professional driving instructor. I admit that I don't' know whether that is a legal requirement in the U.K. If it's not, use one from the start. In the long run, it's not expensive, and it's the best way to go.

Have him learn on a car with automatic transmission. After he has his driving license, he can easily make the transition to a manual.

All 3 of my children learned that way. My younger son and my daughter transitioned to manual transmission in one trip to a nearby shopping centre parking lot. I didn't time either one, but it was considerably less than a half hour in my Jeep CJ-7, 2-wheel/4-wheel drive, manual transmission with high and low range.

Piece of cake.

I don't care. I'm old. I don't have to.
Poll: In which hemispheres will China's space station [or biggest piece] crash?

First Car for learning to drive on 17:26 - Oct 2 with 2731 viewsmax936

My lad had a Corsa has his first car had it for years, head gasket went though and we was always living on a tightrope with it after that, great car though in general, he had from April 2011 up until January this yr, he's got a newish Fiesta now luckily he's a careful lad and has been trouble free, that said it doesn't get a lot of use gym 4 times a week and an errand here and there, he doesn't go joy riding in it thankfully.
[Post edited 2 Oct 2017 17:48]

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

First Car for learning to drive on 17:36 - Oct 2 with 2719 viewsSoberBaker

What's your budget?

AMOW

First Car for learning to drive on 17:53 - Oct 2 with 2695 viewsjack2jack

First Car for learning to drive on 17:14 - Oct 2 by Davillin

Tips:

Use a professional driving instructor. I admit that I don't' know whether that is a legal requirement in the U.K. If it's not, use one from the start. In the long run, it's not expensive, and it's the best way to go.

Have him learn on a car with automatic transmission. After he has his driving license, he can easily make the transition to a manual.

All 3 of my children learned that way. My younger son and my daughter transitioned to manual transmission in one trip to a nearby shopping centre parking lot. I didn't time either one, but it was considerably less than a half hour in my Jeep CJ-7, 2-wheel/4-wheel drive, manual transmission with high and low range.

Piece of cake.

It used to be if you passed on an automatic car,you couldn't drive a manual transmission car, correct me if I'm wrong chaps
First Car for learning to drive on 17:56 - Oct 2 with 2689 viewsJoe_bradshaw

First Car for learning to drive on 17:53 - Oct 2 by jack2jack

It used to be if you passed on an automatic car,you couldn't drive a manual transmission car, correct me if I'm wrong chaps

Still the case. If you pass your driving test in an automatic you can only drive automatic cars and need to take another driving test in a manual in order to drive one without L plates.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

First Car for learning to drive on 18:03 - Oct 2 with 2678 viewsdickythorpe

Corsa, Clio, ka they are the cheapest second hand cars for a 17yr old to drive ( I am led to believe with all the youngsters who work with me)
First Car for learning to drive on 18:23 - Oct 2 with 2660 viewsjack2jack

First Car for learning to drive on 17:56 - Oct 2 by Joe_bradshaw

Still the case. If you pass your driving test in an automatic you can only drive automatic cars and need to take another driving test in a manual in order to drive one without L plates.

Thought so, cheers JB
Login to get fewer ads

First Car for learning to drive on 18:26 - Oct 2 with 2658 viewsmax936

First Car for learning to drive on 18:03 - Oct 2 by dickythorpe

Corsa, Clio, ka they are the cheapest second hand cars for a 17yr old to drive ( I am led to believe with all the youngsters who work with me)

They are, but if there's Motorway driving involved they're to small in my humble opinion, Lorrys can't see you, my lad was going back and forth to Cardiff Met for a year, put years on me, although he used to take the bike on the train then ride up to the Uni from Cardiff T Station a lot of the time.

First Car for learning to drive on 18:29 - Oct 2 with 2655 viewsJackfath

Learn with a professional.

Tell them that they can have a car when they are able to afford to insure and run it.

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

First Car for learning to drive on 18:36 - Oct 2 with 2637 viewsDDCH

My Mrs has only been driving 2 years and demanded a Kia Picanto much to my disapproval.

Have to say how wrong I was. Cheap to buy, no road tax, insurance is cheap and has loads of kit (bluetooth, parking sensors, AC, electrics etc) and a 7 year warranty.

It's cracking to drive, and great for round town/parking. I got it from Motorpoint in Newport and was expecting it to be a dog on the Motorway, but when it was wound up it went brilliantly. Even overtook my father in his Merc on the way back.

So thumbs up for little Korean cars

The poster formally known as DannyDyersChocolateHomunculus

First Car for learning to drive on 18:48 - Oct 2 with 2624 viewswhaleoilbeefhooked

First Car for learning to drive on 17:26 - Oct 2 by max936

My lad had a Corsa has his first car had it for years, head gasket went though and we was always living on a tightrope with it after that, great car though in general, he had from April 2011 up until January this yr, he's got a newish Fiesta now luckily he's a careful lad and has been trouble free, that said it doesn't get a lot of use gym 4 times a week and an errand here and there, he doesn't go joy riding in it thankfully.
[Post edited 2 Oct 2017 17:48]

If you are considering lessons, My misses has been driving instructor for 30yrs. Also a Swans season holder. She has a Hyundai i10
First Car for learning to drive on 19:08 - Oct 2 with 2600 viewsmonmouth

Kia or Hyundai if you can get a recent one 100%. Massive warranties and I was told by the RAC nothing ever goes wrong with these f*ckers which is why I knew your missus had put petrol in the diesel engine. It even survived that and being driven 30 miles. Bulletproof. She has a sportage and in her words "wouldn't have that shit BMW soft top back if you paid me". The rio and piccanto are meant to be good, ditto the Hyundai i10/i20. Also Gravells is a fantastic dealer, if they have one in your price range.
[Post edited 2 Oct 2017 19:09]

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

First Car for learning to drive on 19:09 - Oct 2 with 2594 viewsjack_lord

First Car for learning to drive on 17:14 - Oct 2 by Davillin

Tips:

Piece of cake.

Learning to drive in the UK is quite different to the US. As the others have pointed out, if you pass your test in an automatic you can only drive an automatic and have to do another test if you want to drive a manual.
A lessonin the uk costs 20 - 30 quid an hour and some people have over 50 lessons and more trying to pass the test.
I went to see Kevin earlier and I saw a great little car. It is above budget as we are looking for something less than a thousand for learning but it might be a goer as it is a decent car.

First Car for learning to drive on 19:15 - Oct 2 with 2588 viewsBrynCartwright

Has to be a pillarbox red Lamborghini Countach.

..or a Ford Ka.

Brilliant fun to drive.

Poll: Artificial Crowd Noise for Premier League and Champiionship Games is...

First Car for learning to drive on 19:20 - Oct 2 with 2580 viewsmax936

First Car for learning to drive on 18:48 - Oct 2 by whaleoilbeefhooked

If you are considering lessons, My misses has been driving instructor for 30yrs. Also a Swans season holder. She has a Hyundai i10

Think you quoted me by mistake my friend, my lads been driving 7 yrs now.

First Car for learning to drive on 19:23 - Oct 2 with 2577 viewsmax936

First Car for learning to drive on 19:09 - Oct 2 by jack_lord

Learning to drive in the UK is quite different to the US. As the others have pointed out, if you pass your test in an automatic you can only drive an automatic and have to do another test if you want to drive a manual.
A lessonin the uk costs 20 - 30 quid an hour and some people have over 50 lessons and more trying to pass the test.
I went to see Kevin earlier and I saw a great little car. It is above budget as we are looking for something less than a thousand for learning but it might be a goer as it is a decent car.

I thought you might have been lucky there
[Post edited 2 Oct 2017 19:25]

First Car for learning to drive on 19:34 - Oct 2 with 2560 viewsDr_Winston

I'm currently learning in a Peugeot 308 with BSM. Not a bad little car to drive.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

First Car for learning to drive on 19:39 - Oct 2 with 2544 viewsPacemaker

Bought a Ford Ka for my daughter and son to learn to drive in, great cars to start off with, very basic and easy to repair etc. I wouldn't like to have a bump in one they do appear a bit flimsy, as others have said the newer Korean cars are great.

We have a Hyundai i10 which is on a 65 plate and has been brilliant.

Life is an adventure or nothing at all.

First Car for learning to drive on 20:06 - Oct 2 with 2522 viewsjack2jack

As a run around for first time learner KA great little car my missus had one for years,until the dreaded tin worm got at it,look out for rush around petrol filler cap,sills,and around the wiper entry to the boot,they all go there,it's perhaps a little thirsty on petrol, but never broke down and spares are easy to come by,not sure about insurance for learner or new passer
First Car for learning to drive on 20:25 - Oct 2 with 2489 viewsjack_lord

First Car for learning to drive on 20:06 - Oct 2 by jack2jack

As a run around for first time learner KA great little car my missus had one for years,until the dreaded tin worm got at it,look out for rush around petrol filler cap,sills,and around the wiper entry to the boot,they all go there,it's perhaps a little thirsty on petrol, but never broke down and spares are easy to come by,not sure about insurance for learner or new passer

We have been looking at a KA and is a very good price. It is 10 years old and a lot of rust bubbling around the petrol cap which could mean that it is elsewhere on the car. The paintwork is very shiny for a ten-year-old car and some people have told me to stay away from KA's if they start to show signs of rust.

First Car for learning to drive on 20:31 - Oct 2 with 2479 viewsPrivate_Partz

First Car for learning to drive on 19:08 - Oct 2 by monmouth

Kia or Hyundai if you can get a recent one 100%. Massive warranties and I was told by the RAC nothing ever goes wrong with these f*ckers which is why I knew your missus had put petrol in the diesel engine. It even survived that and being driven 30 miles. Bulletproof. She has a sportage and in her words "wouldn't have that shit BMW soft top back if you paid me". The rio and piccanto are meant to be good, ditto the Hyundai i10/i20. Also Gravells is a fantastic dealer, if they have one in your price range.
[Post edited 2 Oct 2017 19:09]

I can only echo the praise for Kia's. I have Ceed GT Line. Bought from Motorpoint with 3.5k on the clock and over £8k cheaper than buying new. It has a 900cc engine but the turbo means it goes like Hell 0 to 30 with a top speed of nearly 120.
One of the best cars I have ever owned and still has 6 years left on its warranty.
A small Kia under 1000cc would be ideal for a first driver. Get one about 4 years old and you still have a decent manufacturers warranty.
[Post edited 2 Oct 2017 20:38]

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

First Car for learning to drive on 20:32 - Oct 2 with 2476 viewsbuilthjack

First Car for learning to drive on 18:36 - Oct 2 by DDCH

My Mrs has only been driving 2 years and demanded a Kia Picanto much to my disapproval.

Have to say how wrong I was. Cheap to buy, no road tax, insurance is cheap and has loads of kit (bluetooth, parking sensors, AC, electrics etc) and a 7 year warranty.

It's cracking to drive, and great for round town/parking. I got it from Motorpoint in Newport and was expecting it to be a dog on the Motorway, but when it was wound up it went brilliantly. Even overtook my father in his Merc on the way back.

So thumbs up for little Korean cars

Ki's uncle will get you one. Arfur Swings Wun

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

First Car for learning to drive on 20:35 - Oct 2 with 2475 viewsjack2jack

First Car for learning to drive on 20:25 - Oct 2 by jack_lord

We have been looking at a KA and is a very good price. It is 10 years old and a lot of rust bubbling around the petrol cap which could mean that it is elsewhere on the car. The paintwork is very shiny for a ten-year-old car and some people have told me to stay away from KA's if they start to show signs of rust.

As I recall if they get too bad around the cap, it could be an MOT fail.We had it repaired which meant replacing some of the panel,but within a few months it went again,you see the majority of KAs with this problem,they are all getting on a bit now.
Also look out for the front springs they can snap, it did happen once,almost went through the tyre.I don't want to put you off cos they are decent little cars,but like I said they are all getting on a bit.
Depends how much you've got to spend,little said above,the Kia etc all seem to have a good rep.
Back to your point,rust is a problem,so maybe stay away.👍
First Car for learning to drive on 22:51 - Oct 2 with 2413 viewsSoberBaker

First Car for learning to drive on 19:09 - Oct 2 by jack_lord

If it's in and around a grand, get them a peu107/citreon c1/Toyota Aygo (they're all the same car. The only common fault with them are the clutch (which is a cheap easy job)
Don't touch a Ka from before 2009. Seriously, they are about to become extinct due to the rust problem. Which is a shame as they are reliable as fook.

AMOW

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024