Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Could this potentially have a good effect for the future? 18:31 - Mar 20 with 3115 viewsMrSwerve

Ok, obviously we don’t want to be in this position, the amount of people that are ill or dying is truly awful.

However...

Is this a WW2 moment, that teaches current generations (especially people born say 1980 onwards - I include myself in that) that you can’t have everything on demand, can’t waste food, have to think of ways to use everything to its maximum...not take family, friends, sports, pubs etc. for granted?

I hope that this might be one of the few positives to come out of this.
[Post edited 20 Mar 2020 18:32]

Poll: Decision day - who wins the PL title?

Could this potentially have a good effect for the future? on 19:00 - Mar 20 with 2502 viewsGwyn737

Do you know, that’s a lovely, positive thought.

It would be great to think there will be newfound appreciation for each other - last weeks ‘low skilled workers’ are this weeks key workers.
Could this potentially have a good effect for the future? on 19:07 - Mar 20 with 2483 viewsMrSwerve

Could this potentially have a good effect for the future? on 19:00 - Mar 20 by Gwyn737

Do you know, that’s a lovely, positive thought.

It would be great to think there will be newfound appreciation for each other - last weeks ‘low skilled workers’ are this weeks key workers.

We will get through this...it just might be something to focus the mind. Let’s think of the positives, as difficult as it may seem.

Could this potentially have a good effect for the future? on 19:28 - Mar 20 with 2457 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

Could this potentially have a good effect for the future? on 19:07 - Mar 20 by MrSwerve

We will get through this...it just might be something to focus the mind. Let’s think of the positives, as difficult as it may seem.

I hope so, our local council has been great in setting up volunteering and befriending services and they have a lot of people sign up. We will all have a bit more thinking time.

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: When will Duff Revert to 4 at the Back

Could this potentially have a good effect for the future? on 19:32 - Mar 20 with 2438 viewsSwanjaxs

My liver is going to be high fiving the rest of my internal organs after today that's for sure mate

You might think I've forgotten, but one day, when you least expect it, my time will come.
Poll: Celtic and Rangers should be fast tracked into the Championship ASAP

Could this potentially have a good effect for the future? on 18:46 - Mar 21 with 2303 viewsMrSwerve

Could this potentially have a good effect for the future? on 19:32 - Mar 20 by Swanjaxs

My liver is going to be high fiving the rest of my internal organs after today that's for sure mate

Probably the opposite for me after this!

Could this potentially have a good effect for the future? on 19:13 - Mar 21 with 2265 viewsJack_Kass

This was running through my mind earlier.

For anyone born in the UK, post war, this is the only real crisis we've known, and will probably affect us forever.

We'll clip the next generation around the ear (metophorically), and tell them about the Coronavirus, similar to the tales of war time that we had

Their own epidemic or crisis will probably involve the internet being threatened or wiped out!

Poll: FA Cup or Premier League

Could this potentially have a good effect for the future? on 01:00 - Mar 22 with 2193 viewsTNT

People have needed a kick up the arse for a long time. Let's hope as a collective, we turn bad into good.

Poll: Would you make goalposts bigger?

Could this potentially have a good effect for the future? on 21:53 - Mar 27 with 1995 viewsdickythorpe

You are a prophet Mr.Swerve.

Things will change....NO.....things are changing.

When we get back to whatever "normal" is.....there's not much point in getting wound up because we have to wait in just a 3 man queue for whatever it is.

A reality check in such a dramatic form.
Login to get fewer ads

Could this potentially have a good effect for the future? on 21:59 - Mar 27 with 1983 viewsDr_Winston

Crisis often leads to technological progress. Just look at the huge leaps taken in WW2.

For me the biggie is home working. Millions of people Worldwide are now doing jobs that previously they had to go to an office to do. Once this is all over they will quite reasonably be wondering why they can't continue to do so.

Won't hurt for more people to appreciate the freedoms they have either.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Could this potentially have a good effect for the future? on 22:04 - Mar 27 with 1970 viewsmagicdaps10

Hopefully business will realise that opening 24/7 is not such a priority, hopefully Sunday could go back to the way it was without so many shops being open.

If this situation does not make people realise how fragile life is.... God help us.

Poll: Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City

Could this potentially have a good effect for the future? on 22:11 - Mar 27 with 1952 viewsbuilthjack

No. Once this is over you will still have the greedy bastards, the snobby bastards, and others who think that the biggest yacht makes them better people (That tw@t Green etc).

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Could this potentially have a good effect for the future? on 22:12 - Mar 27 with 1946 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Could this potentially have a good effect for the future? on 19:07 - Mar 20 by MrSwerve

This will turn out to be a massive reset button for the global economy and hopefully make all of us less materialistic .

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Could this potentially have a good effect for the future? on 22:31 - Mar 27 with 1927 viewsdickythorpe

Could this potentially have a good effect for the future? on 22:11 - Mar 27 by builthjack

No. Once this is over you will still have the greedy bastards, the snobby bastards, and others who think that the biggest yacht makes them better people (That tw@t Green etc).

Nobody gives a fúck or should give a fúck about people like that.
Could this potentially have a good effect for the future? on 23:09 - Mar 27 with 1895 viewsTNT

Necessity, is the mother of all invention.

Poll: Would you make goalposts bigger?

Could this potentially have a good effect for the future? on 23:34 - Mar 27 with 1848 viewsProfessor

Lots of good point here. The last real crisis (WW2) yielded social
Change in the NHS and welfare state. Perhaps this will push us back towards moderation and care
Could this potentially have a good effect for the future? on 23:34 - Mar 27 with 1848 viewsFieryJack

The majority of people in this country - and on this site, I'd guess, - are spoilt & self-centred as f*ck.

And I certainly include myself in that.

We're still able to sit on our arses, in centrally-heated houses, guzzling our favourite beverages, whist watching events unfold on our gigantic televisions from our comfy sofas.

And when it's all over there'll still be thousands starving to death on a daily basis around the world, and thousands of "ordinary" Syrians hunkered down in utterly miserable refugee camps etc. etc.

It's this bullsh*t, navel-gazing, self-congratulatory, British bulldog boll*x that gets my goat..and all the DJs' and tv presenters' endless empty patter, smarmily sympathising with, and patronising the nation. Ugh!

It just shows how molly-coddled we are that this is the nearest thing to a "WW2 moment" we can imagine.

Could this potentially have a good effect for the future? on 23:57 - Mar 27 with 1814 viewsProfessor

Could this potentially have a good effect for the future? on 23:34 - Mar 27 by FieryJack

The majority of people in this country - and on this site, I'd guess, - are spoilt & self-centred as f*ck.

And I certainly include myself in that.

We're still able to sit on our arses, in centrally-heated houses, guzzling our favourite beverages, whist watching events unfold on our gigantic televisions from our comfy sofas.

And when it's all over there'll still be thousands starving to death on a daily basis around the world, and thousands of "ordinary" Syrians hunkered down in utterly miserable refugee camps etc. etc.

It's this bullsh*t, navel-gazing, self-congratulatory, British bulldog boll*x that gets my goat..and all the DJs' and tv presenters' endless empty patter, smarmily sympathising with, and patronising the nation. Ugh!

It just shows how molly-coddled we are that this is the nearest thing to a "WW2 moment" we can imagine.

My view that it could bring change as WW2 did.
I Have to agree we are very self centred.
Working in Ethiopia and Malawi changed my outlook to appreciate what
I and my family have, though does not stop me aspiring to having a Merc,
A better house and all that crap. Perhaps we need to slow down and think of community again but perhaps that genie is well and truly out of the bottle. Perhaps we need a sea change in society not clapping on a Thursday night
Could this potentially have a good effect for the future? on 07:36 - Mar 28 with 1718 viewsladyjack

We need more equality for the population and higher taxes for those earning the big bucks.
Could this potentially have a good effect for the future? on 07:42 - Mar 28 with 1714 viewsScotia

I really hope this does drive societal change. Personally I'll appreciate the small things more, and definitely think more about other people.

As horrible as this is, it's a walk in the park compared to WW2 though. The fact we are even comparing says a lot about how easy our lives are, even under lock down.
[Post edited 28 Mar 2020 7:49]
Could this potentially have a good effect for the future? on 09:17 - Mar 28 with 1645 viewsMrSwerve

Could this potentially have a good effect for the future? on 21:53 - Mar 27 by dickythorpe

You are a prophet Mr.Swerve.

Things will change....NO.....things are changing.

When we get back to whatever "normal" is.....there's not much point in getting wound up because we have to wait in just a 3 man queue for whatever it is.

A reality check in such a dramatic form.

Indeed, Dicky. This is even more uniting than a war, in a way, as the whole world is fighting against a common enemy.

Ronald Reagan once said that it would take a common threat to bring humanity together (talking about ET life in that case)...looks like we have a very similar situation at the moment.

Could this potentially have a good effect for the future? on 09:20 - Mar 28 with 1632 viewsMrSwerve

Could this potentially have a good effect for the future? on 21:59 - Mar 27 by Dr_Winston

Crisis often leads to technological progress. Just look at the huge leaps taken in WW2.

For me the biggie is home working. Millions of people Worldwide are now doing jobs that previously they had to go to an office to do. Once this is all over they will quite reasonably be wondering why they can't continue to do so.

Won't hurt for more people to appreciate the freedoms they have either.

Yep. 30+ people wasting time commuting for a 60 minute meeting where it’s normally the same 5 people speaking anyway. In my case, I’ve found it far more productive to log into the meeting and then get back to other administrative stuff. Makes you realise how many hours is wasted at work chatting, commuting, etc.

I’m sure that employers would love to be able to downgrade office space and pay less/no rent, too. Could be a game changer.
[Post edited 28 Mar 2020 9:21]

Could this potentially have a good effect for the future? on 09:21 - Mar 28 with 1626 viewsJoe_bradshaw

it was inevitable that it would be compared to war in that there are now many events that have been cancelled that were last cancelled in 1945.

Having said that there aren't any fokkers trying to bomb our houses.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

Could this potentially have a good effect for the future? on 09:22 - Mar 28 with 1621 viewsMrSwerve

Could this potentially have a good effect for the future? on 09:21 - Mar 28 by Joe_bradshaw

it was inevitable that it would be compared to war in that there are now many events that have been cancelled that were last cancelled in 1945.

Having said that there aren't any fokkers trying to bomb our houses.

Indeed, that’s progress for you.

Could this potentially have a good effect for the future? on 09:32 - Mar 28 with 1595 viewswaynekerr55

Could this potentially have a good effect for the future? on 09:20 - Mar 28 by MrSwerve

Yep. 30+ people wasting time commuting for a 60 minute meeting where it’s normally the same 5 people speaking anyway. In my case, I’ve found it far more productive to log into the meeting and then get back to other administrative stuff. Makes you realise how many hours is wasted at work chatting, commuting, etc.

I’m sure that employers would love to be able to downgrade office space and pay less/no rent, too. Could be a game changer.
[Post edited 28 Mar 2020 9:21]

And the added bonus of actually meeting F2F means things are more productive.

I'm fortunate to be in that position, granted I'm out and about meeting Federations/Employers or out with my staff on site observations. There's no reason for people to travel to work if it can be done at home

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

Could this potentially have a good effect for the future? on 09:35 - Mar 28 with 1593 viewsJinxy

Possibly and ironically linked to Brexit, I'd like to see investment in British manufacturing (as opposed to assembly plants), apprenticeships, conscription even, respect for the classic trades, academia for those who are academic (and not anyone just enticed in by the uni's that are only thinking of the ££), slicker public transport, controlling the social media monster and GP's et al being able to be brave tackling mental health - pills are not necessarily the answer (prescribe use nature, walk, talk, sport, exercise, dance etc.!), tackling McD and others promoting food that's bad for us etc.. Other things like more self sufficiency would be good - encourage conservation, power generation, home produce inc veg, baking and so on. Even if most of this happened though, it is an awfully high price to have paid.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024