Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
When did Lager become more popular than beer in the UK ? 17:46 - May 29 with 3003 viewstrampie

When I started drinking, Lager was a woman's drink, they often would have a dash of lime in it, at some point might have been in the 80s Lager started to take over from beer.
I thought of Lager as a continental drink did it initially become a thing in towns ?, I've always drunk real ale, it was dying out then but made a comeback, I don't know what youngsters drink today, do they drink even ?

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

0
When did Lager become more popular than beer in the UK ? on 19:55 - May 29 with 2950 viewsTogg

Drink a German Helles beer. It has to pass purity laws. It's wonderful!
1
When did Lager become more popular than beer in the UK ? on 23:08 - May 29 with 2880 viewshowenjack

When did Lager become more popular than beer in the UK ? on 19:55 - May 29 by Togg

Drink a German Helles beer. It has to pass purity laws. It's wonderful!


If you get the chance visit Albert Schloss . There is a chain of them I think . They specialise in German beers Paulaner etc.
Not the cheapest but you will know you have had a drink when you visit there.
0
When did Lager become more popular than beer in the UK ? on 23:29 - May 29 with 2875 viewsmajorraglan

When I first started drinking in the early army 80’s we didn’t have the choice we have now, I used to drink bitter, real ales and the occasional cider. As Trampie has said, larger was popular with women and not considered to be a man’s drink, but I have no idea when that changed. These days I still drink beer, sometimes it’s bitter but generally it’s IPA type stuff and craft beer - unless I’m on a session when I go for the lower ABV stuff.

In terms of today’s youngsters, my 2 drink a lot less than I did at their age. They’ll pub would be a focal point of our existence, but thats not the case now. Typically, mine will tdrink flavoured ciders, Kopparberg, Old Smout, Thatchers etc and maybe shots. Their friends are the same.
0
When did Lager become more popular than beer in the UK ? on 06:06 - May 30 with 2798 viewsTogg

When did Lager become more popular than beer in the UK ? on 23:08 - May 29 by howenjack

If you get the chance visit Albert Schloss . There is a chain of them I think . They specialise in German beers Paulaner etc.
Not the cheapest but you will know you have had a drink when you visit there.


Apparently Sainsbury's are doing two German helles and an Austrian beer. One is Augestiner. I watch a few beer YouTubers and both think this is the best.
I was in Spain recently and had a few bottles of Aguila sin filtrar beers. It was amazing. You can buy them online. 5.4 vol . Also Estrella Galicia is good along with Alhambra green bottle which is 6 point something.
0
When did Lager become more popular than beer in the UK ? on 11:39 - May 30 with 2726 viewshowenjack

When did Lager become more popular than beer in the UK ? on 06:06 - May 30 by Togg

Apparently Sainsbury's are doing two German helles and an Austrian beer. One is Augestiner. I watch a few beer YouTubers and both think this is the best.
I was in Spain recently and had a few bottles of Aguila sin filtrar beers. It was amazing. You can buy them online. 5.4 vol . Also Estrella Galicia is good along with Alhambra green bottle which is 6 point something.


Sounds good I will look them up . Albert's Schloss atm have a pub in Brum near the library. It's the only one I've been in .There are also some in London and Manchester. They sell in large stein like glasses . The beer is ice cold and tastes totally different from normal lagers .Erdinger and Paulaner are the ones I ve tried. They have live music and German food . If you visit in the evening it gets very busy so get there early is best.
0
When did Lager become more popular than beer in the UK ? on 14:37 - May 30 with 2665 viewsTogg

When did Lager become more popular than beer in the UK ? on 11:39 - May 30 by howenjack

Sounds good I will look them up . Albert's Schloss atm have a pub in Brum near the library. It's the only one I've been in .There are also some in London and Manchester. They sell in large stein like glasses . The beer is ice cold and tastes totally different from normal lagers .Erdinger and Paulaner are the ones I ve tried. They have live music and German food . If you visit in the evening it gets very busy so get there early is best.


Be great if they opened something like that in Swansea. Ice cold draught German beer. 🍻
0
When did Lager become more popular than beer in the UK ? on 16:40 - May 30 with 2609 viewscontroversial_jack

When did Lager become more popular than beer in the UK ? on 14:37 - May 30 by Togg

Be great if they opened something like that in Swansea. Ice cold draught German beer. 🍻


It's much better on tap though than bottled or canned. Continental lagers and pils on tap are all brewed over here and seem to lack something imo. I prefer Czech to German beer, as it's not quite so strong and are more of a session beer, with the exception of Staropramen, which seems to be getting popular over here.

I literally can't drink the Carling Fosters or Coors. I drink Madri - yes, it's not great, but it is a cut above those that I mentioned , and doesn't give me hangovers.
0
When did Lager become more popular than beer in the UK ? on 16:45 - May 30 with 2605 viewsunion_jack

When did Lager become more popular than beer in the UK ? on 16:40 - May 30 by controversial_jack

It's much better on tap though than bottled or canned. Continental lagers and pils on tap are all brewed over here and seem to lack something imo. I prefer Czech to German beer, as it's not quite so strong and are more of a session beer, with the exception of Staropramen, which seems to be getting popular over here.

I literally can't drink the Carling Fosters or Coors. I drink Madri - yes, it's not great, but it is a cut above those that I mentioned , and doesn't give me hangovers.


Madri is like cats piss in taste. Awful lager but seems to be on tap in every pub I go to.

I’m not a big drinker but I like to see San Miguel on tap or Morretti or Porretti.

Can’t stand Becks or Corona bottled either yet always in abundance.

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

1
Login to get fewer ads

When did Lager become more popular than beer in the UK ? on 18:26 - May 30 with 2555 viewsDemitrius

There was a big drive by the breweries like Bass and whatever InBev was called back then in the early 80s to promote Lager as a cool drink...I'm no expert but I suspect it was cheaper than real ale and bitter etc to mass produce and less likely to have a dodgy keg...

There was only Harp really back then which was bloody awful.

Carlsberg Hof and Export, Hemmling Lite ( "less Carbohydrite" one of the worst advertising couplets ever ! but it worked as i remember the slogan :) )...Hofmeister Follow the Bear...Colt 45 which if I recall was strong. Stella Castlemaine XXXX appeared mid 80s and again extensively advertised on TV......

These days it's very much personal taste.

Me? If I'm in a pub that doesn't sell craft ales and lagers from the standard fare I drink Cruz Campo, I find Stella pretty consistent and rarely have a bad pint. My favourite is Krusovice which is usually expensive but worth it....
[Post edited 30 May 18:35]

“Cunnilingus and Psychiatry brought us to this …”

0
When did Lager become more popular than beer in the UK ? on 18:51 - May 30 with 2511 viewsGwyn737

When did Lager become more popular than beer in the UK ? on 11:39 - May 30 by howenjack

Sounds good I will look them up . Albert's Schloss atm have a pub in Brum near the library. It's the only one I've been in .There are also some in London and Manchester. They sell in large stein like glasses . The beer is ice cold and tastes totally different from normal lagers .Erdinger and Paulaner are the ones I ve tried. They have live music and German food . If you visit in the evening it gets very busy so get there early is best.


Been in the London one a few times. The beer is great and lots of live music.

A really fun night out.
0
When did Lager become more popular than beer in the UK ? on 01:56 - May 31 with 2433 viewsRobbie

Skol and Hoffmeister lager got me , mention to Harp lager too another favourite tipple .

Made a change from Double Diamond and Brains Brewery .
0
When did Lager become more popular than beer in the UK ? on 13:18 - May 31 with 2378 viewsTogg

When did Lager become more popular than beer in the UK ? on 16:40 - May 30 by controversial_jack

It's much better on tap though than bottled or canned. Continental lagers and pils on tap are all brewed over here and seem to lack something imo. I prefer Czech to German beer, as it's not quite so strong and are more of a session beer, with the exception of Staropramen, which seems to be getting popular over here.

I literally can't drink the Carling Fosters or Coors. I drink Madri - yes, it's not great, but it is a cut above those that I mentioned , and doesn't give me hangovers.


A lot of so called European lagers are brewed in the UK under licence. They tend to be brewed with a lesser strength but harder water and sometimes more adatives. I agree can't drink those beers you mentioned. Madri is a faux Spanish beer brewed especially for the UK market. A lot of experts think it's the old Carling recepie but stronger abv.
0
When did Lager become more popular than beer in the UK ? on 13:40 - May 31 with 2369 viewsWhiterockin

When people woke up and realised that drinking 10-15 pints of weak piss in a session was not big and not clever.
0
When did Lager become more popular than beer in the UK ? on 18:04 - May 31 with 2311 viewsmax936

When did Lager become more popular than beer in the UK ? on 16:45 - May 30 by union_jack

Madri is like cats piss in taste. Awful lager but seems to be on tap in every pub I go to.

I’m not a big drinker but I like to see San Miguel on tap or Morretti or Porretti.

Can’t stand Becks or Corona bottled either yet always in abundance.


I agree with this, I'd add Peroni to the like to drink list, depends on the mood though if there's no real ale I usually opt for Guinness these days.

I had a guinness yesterday then decided to opt for the peroni.
[Post edited 5 Jun 19:43]
0
When did Lager become more popular than beer in the UK ? on 13:54 - Jun 3 with 2125 viewscontroversial_jack

When did Lager become more popular than beer in the UK ? on 16:45 - May 30 by union_jack

Madri is like cats piss in taste. Awful lager but seems to be on tap in every pub I go to.

I’m not a big drinker but I like to see San Miguel on tap or Morretti or Porretti.

Can’t stand Becks or Corona bottled either yet always in abundance.


Becks is one of the best beers around. San Miguel is not very nice, Moretti ok, Cruzcampo better, but they are all brewed over here and not the legit thing
0
When did Lager become more popular than beer in the UK ? on 17:27 - Jun 5 with 1921 viewshowenjack

0
When did Lager become more popular than beer in the UK ? on 19:33 - Jun 5 with 1896 viewsTogg

When did Lager become more popular than beer in the UK ? on 17:27 - Jun 5 by howenjack



Fair play buzzed it on but definitely came to the descion she likes a sausage.
I'll get me coat 😁
0
When did Lager become more popular than beer in the UK ? on 20:19 - Jun 5 with 1866 viewsRay_Delauney

When did Lager become more popular than beer in the UK ? on 19:33 - Jun 5 by Togg

Fair play buzzed it on but definitely came to the descion she likes a sausage.
I'll get me coat 😁


It's a bit like that Northern bloke who goes around the fast food places.
0
When did Lager become more popular than beer in the UK ? on 18:38 - Jun 7 with 1730 viewsjack_lord

Had a nice amount of cruz campo in Gran canaria :)

My cousin has a bar in Benalmadena and they buy the stuff for next to nothing. He was telling me a couple of years ago that when he bought a barrel he got one free. I said you buy one you get one free

Lord_Jack increasingly detached from the riches of kicking a ball
Poll: The E U : Stay or Leave

0
When did Lager become more popular than beer in the UK ? on 11:22 - Jun 8 with 1652 viewscontroversial_jack

When did Lager become more popular than beer in the UK ? on 13:18 - May 31 by Togg

A lot of so called European lagers are brewed in the UK under licence. They tend to be brewed with a lesser strength but harder water and sometimes more adatives. I agree can't drink those beers you mentioned. Madri is a faux Spanish beer brewed especially for the UK market. A lot of experts think it's the old Carling recepie but stronger abv.


Yes many are brewed here. Must be the costs of transporting bulk casks from the continent german Czech companies won't allow us to use additives
[Post edited 8 Jun 11:24]
0
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Online Safety Advertising
© FansNetwork 2026