Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Academy productivity rankings 2016/17 11:26 - Oct 30 with 5859 viewsDarran

My mate Kilk is going to like this.
The table shows grim reading.

https://www.trainingground.guru/articles/academy-audit

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Academy productivity rankings 2016/17 on 11:43 - Oct 30 with 3965 viewsE20Jack

Normally I am one to defend the academy. It is something that will hopefully bring future benefits, doesnt happen overnight.

However that is pretty shocking. You would think with the catchment area we have (essentially all of South,West and mid Wales), Premier League status and category 1 - we would have a better return than that.

Thats embarassing.

Poll: 6 point deduction and sellouts lose all their cash?

Academy productivity rankings 2016/17 on 11:48 - Oct 30 with 3952 viewswestwalesed

Let me get this straight, does that mean we produced two players who played a league match at any tier in 2016/17????

If so that's appalling.

Poll: Live in a country with no internet?

Academy productivity rankings 2016/17 on 12:02 - Oct 30 with 3926 viewslondonlisa2001

Academy productivity rankings 2016/17 on 11:48 - Oct 30 by westwalesed

Let me get this straight, does that mean we produced two players who played a league match at any tier in 2016/17????

If so that's appalling.

I'm not being funny, and I think the academy should be doing better, but its transparently incorrect isn't it.

I can think of quite a few just off the top of my head.
Academy productivity rankings 2016/17 on 12:02 - Oct 30 with 3925 viewsWingstandwood

Farce and complete and utter disgrace and travesty along with having a roofing supplies salesman as a D.O.F! THAT table absolutely beggars belief! Yes indeed, truly grim and intelligence insulting bearing in mind SCFC Premier League status, money poured in and a mega-catchment area 5, 6, 7 ,8 x's the size of some other clubs in that list.

Since the Toshack era i.e. 36 yrs the club has produced a paltry number of players capable of regular top-flight appearances over a sustained period of years.

Please add more if you can think of any, these are the only players I can remember! I’m not adding Chris Coleman to the list because we had him from Manchester City albeit very young.

Dean Saunders
Andy Melville
Colin Pascoe
Joe Allen
Ben Davies.
[Post edited 30 Oct 2017 12:05]

Argus!

Academy productivity rankings 2016/17 on 12:06 - Oct 30 with 3908 viewsbuilthjack

Academy productivity rankings 2016/17 on 12:02 - Oct 30 by londonlisa2001

I'm not being funny, and I think the academy should be doing better, but its transparently incorrect isn't it.

I can think of quite a few just off the top of my head.

Didn't we have a few at Yeovil?

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Academy productivity rankings 2016/17 on 12:14 - Oct 30 with 3884 viewslondonlisa2001

Academy productivity rankings 2016/17 on 12:06 - Oct 30 by builthjack

Didn't we have a few at Yeovil?

Yep. Plus Davies and Allen in premier league, MacDonald, Huws and Jazz in championship.

And that's without thinking about it.

The information is just wrong. Doesn't mean we're producing enough, but it's wrong.
Academy productivity rankings 2016/17 on 12:20 - Oct 30 with 3860 viewsbuilthjack

Academy productivity rankings 2016/17 on 12:14 - Oct 30 by londonlisa2001

Yep. Plus Davies and Allen in premier league, MacDonald, Huws and Jazz in championship.

The information is just wrong. Doesn't mean we're producing enough, but it's wrong.

Yes, agree. We must be in double figures.
But, we should have a few in our squad.
We have a huge catchment area.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Academy productivity rankings 2016/17 on 12:24 - Oct 30 with 3849 viewslondonlisa2001

Academy productivity rankings 2016/17 on 12:20 - Oct 30 by builthjack

Yes, agree. We must be in double figures.
But, we should have a few in our squad.
We have a huge catchment area.

Agree completely. Of course a lot of changes have been made to the academy and it will take some time before we see whether these have had the necessary effect.

The performances of our 23s and 18s suggest that we are doing something right, although the 23s have a large group that have been bought in. The 18s less so.
Login to get fewer ads

Academy productivity rankings 2016/17 on 12:31 - Oct 30 with 3830 viewsBrynCartwright

Interesting article Darren. Shockingly low numbers coming through to play at senior levels. I realise that rugby sucks up plenty of talent in South Wales, but even then it is embarrassing.

Poll: Artificial Crowd Noise for Premier League and Champiionship Games is...

Academy productivity rankings 2016/17 on 12:47 - Oct 30 with 3781 viewsVetchfielder

The Academy has yet to prove its worth and we probably have to wait another few years to judge it objectively , but aren't the low figures due to the fact that we've only officially had "an Academy" for 2 or 3 years ? Before then didn't we just have a bunch of youth teams that weren't recognised as an academy, hence the reason why Allen, Davies, McDonald etc aren't included ?

Proud to have been one of the 231

Academy productivity rankings 2016/17 on 13:00 - Oct 30 with 3753 viewsJack_y_Jwc

Academy productivity rankings 2016/17 on 12:14 - Oct 30 by londonlisa2001

I think it's based on players that were England-qualified, our players are all Welsh or Scottish

Academy productivity rankings 2016/17 on 13:24 - Oct 30 with 3663 viewswestwalesed

Academy productivity rankings 2016/17 on 13:00 - Oct 30 by Jack_y_Jwc

I think it's based on players that were England-qualified, our players are all Welsh or Scottish

That could be it - also isn't it restricted to 2016/17? Not very clear I must admit! I'm not a simpleton!

Poll: Live in a country with no internet?

Academy productivity rankings 2016/17 on 13:29 - Oct 30 with 3643 viewsJack11

Academy productivity rankings 2016/17 on 13:24 - Oct 30 by westwalesed

That could be it - also isn't it restricted to 2016/17? Not very clear I must admit! I'm not a simpleton!

Yes a snapshot of last season, still shockingly bad though.
Academy productivity rankings 2016/17 on 13:54 - Oct 30 with 3597 viewssherpajacob

We sold Joey for £15m and swapped part of Ben for Gylfi who we subsequently sold for £40m.

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

Academy productivity rankings 2016/17 on 13:56 - Oct 30 with 3587 viewsJack_Kass

Quality over quantity

I'd rather produce one top quality player in 5 seasons, over 4/5 middle level ones in that time.

People will say 'Yes but why cant we produce ttop quality players every season'. Well if you've figured out the formula for that, then patent it now and become the richest person in the world.

Poll: FA Cup or Premier League

Academy productivity rankings 2016/17 on 13:59 - Oct 30 with 3582 viewslondonlisa2001

Academy productivity rankings 2016/17 on 13:00 - Oct 30 by Jack_y_Jwc

You're right - it does say that. Which explains why Cardiff are also so low.

In which case, file under 'waste of time' for us.
Academy productivity rankings 2016/17 on 14:20 - Oct 30 with 3517 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Academy productivity rankings 2016/17 on 13:59 - Oct 30 by londonlisa2001

You're right - it does say that. Which explains why Cardiff are also so low.

In which case, file under 'waste of time' for us.

It also doesn't iclude any players playing abroad.
But as has been said above our numbers are crap, with quite a few missing.
Academy productivity rankings 2016/17 on 17:23 - Oct 30 with 3377 viewsjasper_T

Fake news.
Academy productivity rankings 2016/17 on 17:32 - Oct 30 with 3354 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

We flood our U23 team with players who other clubs rejected out of hand and let move for nothing. These rejects play at the expense of our 'local' players. In some cases even a nearly 40 year old German joureyman gets played ahead of them just to justify his wages on the books.

Our youth set up is a disgrace whether these numbers are accurate or not.

Poll: Should MP for Swansea East Carolyn Harris resign?

Academy productivity rankings 2016/17 on 17:36 - Oct 30 with 3344 viewswhiterock

Joe Walsh, Gwion Edwards and Ryan Hedges came through the ranks too
Academy productivity rankings 2016/17 on 18:39 - Oct 30 with 3253 viewsjasper_T

Alex Samuel has made 10 appearances for Stevenage this season.
Academy productivity rankings 2016/17 on 20:34 - Oct 30 with 3162 viewsDewi1jack

Trouble is our academy kiddies suffered for years with KO'fugginL mentoring them.
During which time if my memory serves we had a 100% record at one time...

...Of losing

Now work out who hires people not on their being the best available, but on a 'jobs for the boys basis'
Or hand contracts out to people who don't understand that it's cheaper to build a 2/3 storey building without putting the roof on, before deciding "sh1t. We need to be adding another floor."

And you listen to some and it's "time to move on", "We're 7 years in the PL" "no need to remove Beaky." "where would we be without the almighty saviour."
Yet no question of the waste of cash our club has suffered.
Either on contracts or players not suitable.
Even the Aussie goalies brought in are sh1te

If you wake up breathing, thats a good start to your day and you'll make many thousands of people envious.

Academy productivity rankings 2016/17 on 21:14 - Oct 30 with 3130 viewsKilkennyjack

Thanks for the big intro dazzler, i hope i don't disappoint.

As a big supporter of our local players, like many others on here, i will leave you with this from Google.

Fairwood - £10.5m
Landore - £6m
Plus running costs for both every year.

Before that bloke Pennocks Cat2 Academy in June 2013, then between august 2005 and august 2012 our old Centre of Excellence with no money produced macdonald, jazz, joey, and ben. Alan curtis was heavily involved. All local, all full internationals, all played at premier league level. 4 in 7 years. A great platform to build from.

Since then nothing.
4 years and not a single Swansea product anywhere near the squad before last Saturday (big joe must be some player).

We have even failed with signing Gorre, Donnelly, and £1.7m Grimes.

Its not great to be next to bottom for the whole football league.
Might expect to be in the top 20 (?) based on money spent.

Still ...at least the u23s got to do a lap of honour last year, as if they were the u9s.

Tammy is 19. What a player.

Beware of the Risen People

Academy productivity rankings 2016/17 on 21:18 - Oct 30 with 3124 viewsLoyal

Academy productivity rankings 2016/17 on 12:02 - Oct 30 by Wingstandwood

Farce and complete and utter disgrace and travesty along with having a roofing supplies salesman as a D.O.F! THAT table absolutely beggars belief! Yes indeed, truly grim and intelligence insulting bearing in mind SCFC Premier League status, money poured in and a mega-catchment area 5, 6, 7 ,8 x's the size of some other clubs in that list.

Since the Toshack era i.e. 36 yrs the club has produced a paltry number of players capable of regular top-flight appearances over a sustained period of years.

Please add more if you can think of any, these are the only players I can remember! I’m not adding Chris Coleman to the list because we had him from Manchester City albeit very young.

Dean Saunders
Andy Melville
Colin Pascoe
Joe Allen
Ben Davies.
[Post edited 30 Oct 2017 12:05]

A bankrupted roofing supplies salesman if you don't mind 😁

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

Academy productivity rankings 2016/17 on 21:31 - Oct 30 with 3102 viewsjasper_T

Academy productivity rankings 2016/17 on 21:14 - Oct 30 by Kilkennyjack

Thanks for the big intro dazzler, i hope i don't disappoint.

As a big supporter of our local players, like many others on here, i will leave you with this from Google.

Fairwood - £10.5m
Landore - £6m
Plus running costs for both every year.

Before that bloke Pennocks Cat2 Academy in June 2013, then between august 2005 and august 2012 our old Centre of Excellence with no money produced macdonald, jazz, joey, and ben. Alan curtis was heavily involved. All local, all full internationals, all played at premier league level. 4 in 7 years. A great platform to build from.

Since then nothing.
4 years and not a single Swansea product anywhere near the squad before last Saturday (big joe must be some player).

We have even failed with signing Gorre, Donnelly, and £1.7m Grimes.

Its not great to be next to bottom for the whole football league.
Might expect to be in the top 20 (?) based on money spent.

Still ...at least the u23s got to do a lap of honour last year, as if they were the u9s.

Tammy is 19. What a player.

Could have had another Baston for that. What a missed opportunity.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024