Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
World Cupski 2018 Thread 18:04 - May 20 with 101457 viewsLblock

I’ve been pretty non plussed about the Copa Mundial this year which is unusual as I’ve always loved it. Perhaps FIFA have contributed to my overall “fcuk it” view to the modern game, I’ve never felt so remote from a tournament Inger-Lund have been in.
Part of me hopes it lives up to the scam it is with Russia being awarded 317 penalties in the group stages, empty stadiums with Escape To Victory dubbed crowd cheering noises all capped off with a plucky squad of kids winning it so rhino nose becomes Sir Gareth

Current questions for those buzzing about it or who simply know:-

1. Any good Apps for iPhone anyone come across? (Preferably free)

2. Can anyone recommend a Fantasy Competition for the tournament? I’ve been asked to run one at work; think the Sun used to do a simple one; no idea if they are as I haven’t bought a newspaper this decade.

3. Any players people recommend sticking in above / hidden jems????

4. What fixtures do we think are ones to make an effort to watch out of the current group stages? May have to organise work schedule and ensure a regular spot in The Leicester Arms on Warwick Street for any midweek afternoon games

5. What nation picks up the Jules Rimet this year for you? I’m thinking probably Germany but the last time they tried to conquer all the Russia issue didn’t work out well for them

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 22:23 - Jul 1 with 2615 viewskensalriser

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 21:37 - Jul 1 by Stanisgod

Yet another penalty save where the goalie is nearer the 6 yard line than the goal line. Bad penalty I know but both Russian saves were the same. Why stand 3 yards away watching the goalie then let it go. Pointless.

Pointless rule because it's almost never enforced. It would be better to abandon it and let the keeper go anywhere as soon as the whistle is blown. Could be quite entertaining!

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 22:31 - Jul 1 with 2583 viewsLblock

Am I the only one who wants to kick seven shades out of these commentators who keep going on about easy side of the draw, giving the impression Columbia is a formality and cranking up the same old hype and heaping pressure on???

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 22:34 - Jul 1 with 2572 viewsToast_R

England will never have a better opportunity to make a final. I fully expect us to go out of the competition on Tuesday though with a damp squib performance. It's what we do best I'm afraid.
World Cupski 2018 Thread on 22:38 - Jul 1 with 2561 viewsrsonist

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 21:52 - Jul 1 by johncharles

Another good and an exciting penalty shoot out. I liked Denmark because they didn’t dive or surround the ref whinging.

Some all-timer dire penalties in there.

I bet in practice they all laced them in no fuss and then only started fannying around when the panic was on.

The Schmeichels are probably still in the changing room now making mincemeat of the rest of them.
World Cupski 2018 Thread on 23:09 - Jul 1 with 2510 viewsCiderwithRsie

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 22:31 - Jul 1 by Lblock

Am I the only one who wants to kick seven shades out of these commentators who keep going on about easy side of the draw, giving the impression Columbia is a formality and cranking up the same old hype and heaping pressure on???

No, you're not.

Don't believe in commentators' curse but it's only going to make me more sick if/when we screw it up.

Still. Let's hope that the lads see the chance of glory and just go for it.
World Cupski 2018 Thread on 23:26 - Jul 1 with 2497 viewsFDC

Yeah it really is set up nicely for England to go out on Tuesday, launching a million and one sports column pieces on this being the big opportunity spawned.

I've got the proper jitters thinking about it tbh.
World Cupski 2018 Thread on 00:50 - Jul 2 with 2467 viewskensalriser

Incredible, once in a generation route to the final that doesn't involve playing any of the traditionally big sides. But I'm confident of a Colombia win. Anyone fancy it at 3-1?

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 07:37 - Jul 2 with 2409 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 00:50 - Jul 2 by kensalriser

Incredible, once in a generation route to the final that doesn't involve playing any of the traditionally big sides. But I'm confident of a Colombia win. Anyone fancy it at 3-1?

We're in a weird position where three games in, we don't know if we are any good yet.

They are a likeable team though, and if I was neutral I'd like England.
Login to get fewer ads

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 08:28 - Jul 2 with 2384 viewshubble

Karma for Mr Ramos.

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 08:32 - Jul 2 with 2381 viewsTheChef

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 22:34 - Jul 1 by Toast_R

England will never have a better opportunity to make a final. I fully expect us to go out of the competition on Tuesday though with a damp squib performance. It's what we do best I'm afraid.

It's on ITV as well, and we never win on ITV.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 09:03 - Jul 2 with 2352 viewshubble

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 08:32 - Jul 2 by TheChef

As soon as the second round was confirmed I checked the schedules, dreading the game would be on ITV.... It is. We've got some hoodoos to bust if we're going to get through this one.

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 09:22 - Jul 2 with 2337 viewsTheChef

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 09:03 - Jul 2 by hubble

As soon as the second round was confirmed I checked the schedules, dreading the game would be on ITV.... It is. We've got some hoodoos to bust if we're going to get through this one.

And fcking Tyldesely and Hoddle on commentary.

Will be easier for my sanity to put the TV on mute.

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 09:23 - Jul 2 with 2337 viewsCamberleyR

Yep. Excuse the Daily Fascist link but in the last 20 years we have only won 9% of World Cup matches on ITV compared to 69% on the BBC. Our last win on ITV was in the group stages against Trinidad & Tobago in 2006.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5903677/How-England-play-better-match-BB
[Post edited 2 Jul 2018 9:24]

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 09:26 - Jul 2 with 2327 viewsMick_S

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 09:23 - Jul 2 by CamberleyR

Yep. Excuse the Daily Fascist link but in the last 20 years we have only won 9% of World Cup matches on ITV compared to 69% on the BBC. Our last win on ITV was in the group stages against Trinidad & Tobago in 2006.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5903677/How-England-play-better-match-BB

I did notice that Mark Pougatch wasn't shouting so much yesterday so that may be a good thing.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 10:03 - Jul 2 with 2302 viewsTheChef

Ha! Case closed. See you all in four years.

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 10:32 - Jul 2 with 2276 viewsdaveB

apart from every qualifier and friendly played and won in the last 10 years that ITV have covered whilst the Beeb walked away from England you are right they never win on ITV
World Cupski 2018 Thread on 10:38 - Jul 2 with 2268 viewsdaveB

When you look deeper though unbeaten on ITV in 2010 and 2002.
2 defeats on ITV since 1998 whilst we've lost 3 on the beeb in that time.
No mention of a curse when Germany were sticking 4 past us in 2010 on BBC.
Fact is England have a diabolical record in knock out games regardless of what tv channel shows the game

Can you tell I work for ITV
World Cupski 2018 Thread on 10:40 - Jul 2 with 2265 viewsBrianMcCarthy

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 10:38 - Jul 2 by daveB

Fact is England have a diabolical record in knock out games regardless of what tv channel shows the game

"Can you tell I work for ITV"

No, it's not showing!

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 11:00 - Jul 2 with 2243 viewsTheChef

"Fact is England have a diabolical record in knock out games regardless of what tv channel shows the game"

Come off it Dave you can't use that as an excuse - it's obvious we are going to lose tomorrow night and it will all be ITV's fault.

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 11:54 - Jul 2 with 2198 viewsCamberleyR

Yes Dave but the argument wasn't England never win on ITV as due to the fact they show qualifying games is clearly ludicrous. The argument was England's record in televised WC finals games whether group stage or knockout. The facts are that since 1998 they have won 9% of WC Finals games that ITV have shown and it's 69% on BBC.

#CurseOfITV

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 12:04 - Jul 2 with 2187 viewsdaveB

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 11:54 - Jul 2 by CamberleyR

Yes Dave but the argument wasn't England never win on ITV as due to the fact they show qualifying games is clearly ludicrous. The argument was England's record in televised WC finals games whether group stage or knockout. The facts are that since 1998 they have won 9% of WC Finals games that ITV have shown and it's 69% on BBC.

#CurseOfITV

Still think it's a load of old cobblers, Two knockout wins in that time, anytime we've played anyone half decent on either channel we've lost.
World Cupski 2018 Thread on 14:57 - Jul 2 with 2132 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Hope Solo is one of the analysts on Irish TV's coverage of the Brazil-Mexico game. Presenter Peter Collins is like a shy kid at the first-year disco. He can hardly look at her and is in full Father Ted Lovely Girls mode.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 15:14 - Jul 2 with 2112 viewskensalriser

Someone's graffitoed all over her left shoulder.

World Cupski 2018 Thread on 16:01 - Jul 2 with 2071 viewsDannyPaddox

http://futbolpost.com/2018/06/28/brazils-marcelo-could-miss-time-due-to-hotel-ma
World Cupski 2018 Thread on 16:22 - Jul 2 with 2056 viewsNov77

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024