Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Unsung Heroes 13:06 - Nov 5 with 3858 viewsngbqpr

Bit of a lockdown diversion thread. Great former players you think don't get quite the adulation they deserve.

So...not yer cast iron legends, but equally not a random player you and you alone had a bit of a thing about.

To set the ball rolling, my definition of such a player is Glen Roeder. I thought he was absolute quality, and with his style of play would be worth tens of millions in the modern game. We had a 15-20 year period where we really were spoilt for quality centre backs, but for me he's right up there with Macca, Wicks, Parker, Maddix etc

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

Unsung Heroes on 08:30 - Nov 6 with 1119 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Steve Palmer.

He did a great job as Captain for a couple of years.

I heard an interview with Holloway years ago where he was joking about Wilkins and the crowd "we love you Ray etc" "Holloway gets the ball boo get him off" he did point out he was Ray's legs.

(my work comma button is broken)

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Unsung Heroes on 08:34 - Nov 6 with 1114 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Rufus Brevitt. Always liked him and a really good player.

Think he still comes down to watch us sometimes as a fan.

He's called Rufus 🤷‍♂️
[Post edited 6 Nov 2020 8:55]

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Unsung Heroes on 08:46 - Nov 6 with 1106 viewsizlingtonhoop

Already mentioned.

But, Ian Dawes
Unsung Heroes on 08:58 - Nov 6 with 1086 viewsTomS

Ian Gillard. Our England International and Cup Finalist that nobody ever talks about. He was a long term player for the club and, as far as I'm aware, the only link between those two great Sexton and Venables sides.
Unsung Heroes on 10:25 - Nov 6 with 1048 viewsThe_Beast1976

Unsung Heroes on 08:34 - Nov 6 by CliveWilsonSaid

Rufus Brevitt. Always liked him and a really good player.

Think he still comes down to watch us sometimes as a fan.

He's called Rufus 🤷‍♂️
[Post edited 6 Nov 2020 8:55]

Rufus, Rufus Brevett, everybody know his name, Rufus, Rufus Brevett, everybody knows his name
Unsung Heroes on 10:27 - Nov 6 with 1045 viewsAntti_Heinola

Unsung Heroes on 13:37 - Nov 5 by slmrstid

This is an interesting one, and I guess everyone has their own definition of unsung hero.

To try and use yours, from my time supporting the R's, I'll offer the following for me...

- Kaspars Gorrkks - rarely talked about in the 10/11 team but he was a monster at the back and as much of a reason for all those clean sheets that year as Kenny was behind him, and Derry/Faurlin in front of him. Fondly remembered by all, but I dont think he has the same legend status as those others, perhaps because he was binned off so quickly after - a huge mistake for me and I think he'd have been just as good as Anton Ferdinand was, if not better.

- Bradley Orr - for the same reason. Perhaps not quite as good, and unfortunately for him hugely overshadowed by Kyle Walker, who was waaaay too good for the Championship even then, but deserves more recognition than he perhaps gets.

- Adam Bolder - not the best player of course, but for 12 months he was a hugely important and influential player for us, helping us in that Great Escape under Gregory in 06/07. I was at Charlton the following year when he scored his first goal for us. I think he deserves to be remembered more.

- Marcus Bignot arguably - gave years of service. Fondly remembered but maybe deserves more?

Thats 4 from me! :)

I thik Bolder is an interesting one. When he came in, he was great for 3 months, and the following season many people thought he'd be our POTY and i think was even made captain.

And then he was terrible. God knows what happened. He was a lion in that side that somehow stayed up, but dradful afterwards!

Bare bones.

Unsung Heroes on 10:27 - Nov 6 with 1045 viewsThe_Beast1976

Marcus Bean? He was absolutely fantastic throughout the promotion winning 2003/04 season

Just looked him up and see that he is now a retired footballer. Bloody hell, it seems just like yesterday that he was just into the first team as a teenager having come up through the ranks in 2002. How time flies. Those 2002/03 and 2003/04 seasons seem just like the other day to me
[Post edited 6 Nov 2020 10:30]
Unsung Heroes on 11:50 - Nov 6 with 1019 viewswelwynranger

Unsung Heroes on 10:27 - Nov 6 by The_Beast1976

Marcus Bean? He was absolutely fantastic throughout the promotion winning 2003/04 season

Just looked him up and see that he is now a retired footballer. Bloody hell, it seems just like yesterday that he was just into the first team as a teenager having come up through the ranks in 2002. How time flies. Those 2002/03 and 2003/04 seasons seem just like the other day to me
[Post edited 6 Nov 2020 10:30]

Stewart Wardley came on loan played out of his skin as a box to box player.
Unfortunately when he got a contract he seemed to feel like I've arrived now dont have to put so much effort in now.
Shame could have been a very good player scored some nice goals
Login to get fewer ads

Unsung Heroes on 13:18 - Nov 6 with 976 viewsGhost_on_the_Westway

Unsung Heroes on 11:50 - Nov 6 by welwynranger

Stewart Wardley came on loan played out of his skin as a box to box player.
Unfortunately when he got a contract he seemed to feel like I've arrived now dont have to put so much effort in now.
Shame could have been a very good player scored some nice goals

DANNY MADDIX !!!

Can’t believe he’s not been mentioned yet.

F-wording loved the bloke.

(sorry,Welwyn,wasn’t a reply to you)
[Post edited 6 Nov 2020 13:19]
Unsung Heroes on 13:23 - Nov 6 with 965 viewsNov77

Gary waddock was an important cog in the early eighties wheel. Never got the headlines but done his job in midfield, winning tackles and giving the ball to the more expansive players.

If he hadn’t gone done injured in the cup final I doubt hoddle would have scored in the first game, and who knows, fenwick’s goal could have been the winner.

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Unsung Heroes on 13:50 - Nov 6 with 933 viewsThe_Beast1976

Unsung Heroes on 13:18 - Nov 6 by Ghost_on_the_Westway

DANNY MADDIX !!!

I was going to say the same!
Unsung Heroes on 14:46 - Nov 6 with 910 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Unsung Heroes on 13:18 - Nov 6 by Ghost_on_the_Westway

DANNY MADDIX !!!

I don't think Maddix was or is unsung. I imagine that's why he hasn't been mentioned.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Unsung Heroes on 20:13 - Nov 6 with 829 viewslightwaterhoop

Lets not forget the goalkeepers Chris Day,Lee Camp,Paul Jones,Simon Royce and Paddy Kenny all who in my opinion did a great job for us.
Unsung Heroes on 01:09 - Nov 7 with 792 viewsLeedsR

Always had a soft spot for Peter Ramage and to me he was a real unsung hero. Yes, he was a limited player. I felt he was a better CB than RB, but he always gave 100% in pretty poor to mediocre sides. I think it was always going to be a challenge in an era where so much more was expected of the team because of the investment, but never seemed to click until Warnock came along.

What epitomises Ramage for me was that he played on after having torn his acl!! I think he had been playing quite well at cb, but when his knee went, he had to go up front as we’d used all our subs (I think!). Also think that that was his last game for us, because of his injury.

Always a dedicated, honest, hard working pro who always gave his best and always appreciated the fans, even when the team played like s**t. Rambo for me.
Unsung Heroes on 01:25 - Nov 7 with 784 viewsjohncharles

Unsung Heroes on 08:58 - Nov 6 by TomS

Ian Gillard. Our England International and Cup Finalist that nobody ever talks about. He was a long term player for the club and, as far as I'm aware, the only link between those two great Sexton and Venables sides.

I was just about to put Gillard in. Played a big part in that wonderful team’s success. No one ever got through on the left.

Strong and stable my arse.

Unsung Heroes on 01:55 - Nov 7 with 780 viewsDannyPaddox

Great hearing Glenn Roeder being given his proper dues - now there was a football player - and boy oh boy that double shuffle. One abiding memory I have of Glenn Roeder is being in the old club shop shack on South Africa Road - either early on a Saturday, or not a match day at all, maybe having my little book stamped for an away journey, and Glenn walks in, sheepskin coat, hair still shower-wet, and leaves something behind the jump (a key or an envelope - I cant remember rightly) and says, Daphne, here's the key, and Daphne replies Thank you Glenn. Just one of those little things you remember that makes you love QPR even more. Okay they may have been having an affair for all I knew but I doubt it. Daphne - there's an unsung hero.
Unsung Heroes on 02:12 - Nov 7 with 774 viewssmudgehoop

my top 3 from whom I've seen play in the flesh at HQ:

Bradley Allen - Great little striker in the box and great foil for Ferdinand + a hatrick in one game IIRC.

Gino Padula - Not that physical, but great ball skills with some Argentinian flair + his celebration of Bobby Zamora day,

Chris Day - A great shot-stopper who kept us in so many games + at one point many fans called him our most valuable player IIRC.
[Post edited 7 Nov 2020 2:14]

Unsung Heroes on 05:13 - Nov 7 with 757 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Bob Hazell - he played most of his last year with Steve Wickes on his shoulder and not only did he not let us down, his performances in the FA Cup run of 1982 was often overlooked compared to Hucker and Waddock.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Unsung Heroes on 09:51 - Nov 7 with 721 viewsPhilmyRs

Paul Murray, thought he was decent and Steve Yates wasn’t too shabby in a pretty shi*t Karl Ready led defence.
Unsung Heroes on 11:45 - Nov 7 with 681 viewsEsox_Lucius

Paul Murray & Nigel Quashie in their day did sterling work in the side.

The grass is always greener.

Unsung Heroes on 13:45 - Nov 7 with 650 viewshantssi

Ned, there I said it!
Good luck in whatever your new career will be.
Unsung Heroes on 09:07 - Nov 11 with 569 viewsslmrstid

A new one has come to my mind this morning, someone who barely gets mentioned anymore, and in my view definitely deserves to be a Forever R (I'm pretty sure he isnt...)

Andy Thomson!

Just been doing some reading up on him this morning. 28 goals in 67 league appearances according to Wikipedia, a proper fox in the box type player, and I think he was the first QPR player to score 20+ goals in a season since Les in the 90s (?) and no-one did it again until Charlie Austin in the play-off year.
Unsung Heroes on 09:44 - Nov 11 with 547 viewsCamberleyR

Unsung Heroes on 09:07 - Nov 11 by slmrstid

A new one has come to my mind this morning, someone who barely gets mentioned anymore, and in my view definitely deserves to be a Forever R (I'm pretty sure he isnt...)

Andy Thomson!

Just been doing some reading up on him this morning. 28 goals in 67 league appearances according to Wikipedia, a proper fox in the box type player, and I think he was the first QPR player to score 20+ goals in a season since Les in the 90s (?) and no-one did it again until Charlie Austin in the play-off year.

He was mentioned sixth post down.

I know that side he came into was absolutely terrible but I often think that had he signed a month or so earlier, we may just have scraped enough points to stay up that season. Him and Crouch very quickly seemed to form a very promising big man/little man partnership up front. They started six games together and scored six goals (AT 4, PC 2).

Crouchie as we all know banged in the goals for fun for Portsmouth (who were pretty mediocre) next season earning his move to the Premier League with Villa. What might have been.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Unsung Heroes on 10:38 - Nov 11 with 526 viewsslmrstid

Unsung Heroes on 09:44 - Nov 11 by CamberleyR

He was mentioned sixth post down.

I know that side he came into was absolutely terrible but I often think that had he signed a month or so earlier, we may just have scraped enough points to stay up that season. Him and Crouch very quickly seemed to form a very promising big man/little man partnership up front. They started six games together and scored six goals (AT 4, PC 2).

Crouchie as we all know banged in the goals for fun for Portsmouth (who were pretty mediocre) next season earning his move to the Premier League with Villa. What might have been.

That'll teach me to resurrect a thread I'd not looked at in a week or so!

Definitely deserving of memory though.
Unsung Heroes on 10:48 - Nov 11 with 515 viewsMrSheen

Unsung Heroes on 09:07 - Nov 11 by slmrstid

Andy Thomson!

He was a classic tunnel-vision striker. He never celebrated anyone else's goals, it was like he didn't consider himself part of a team.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024