Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bees v Hoops match thread 10:58 - Nov 27 with 40064 viewsdublinr

Let me start this one.

I'm sitting by the sea in Dun Laoghaire in beautiful sunshine - and there's no wind. THAT NEVER HAPPENS.

Today is going to be a day of miracles. Things that never happen are happening. We will win on the telly. We will win a London derby. We are going to beat Brentford.

Bees 2 Rs 3

Bees v Hoops match thread on 22:50 - Nov 27 with 1713 viewsNov77

Bees v Hoops match thread on 22:41 - Nov 27 by BazzaInTheLoft

Opinions eh. I thought we put in loads of graft.

Would like to see the stats for miles covered and tackles won. I’d imagine we dominate both.

The only stat that really matters (other than goals scored) is shots on target, they had 6 to our 2.

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Bees v Hoops match thread on 22:52 - Nov 27 with 1689 viewsMyke

Bees v Hoops match thread on 21:54 - Nov 27 by stevec

Soon as it gets down to physicality we lose, why we get done at corners and free kicks all the time.

Really frustrating, you can play as much pretty passing as you like but lose the battles and you fail.

So, overall, not too bad, especially first half. The clear positive being Dykes first goal from open play. A clear man of the man performance from the big man, as far as I am concerned. The appearance of Thomas was another positive and it seemed a logical change to move BOS to the left and Thomas to the right. The removal of Willock was certainly due as he contributed absolutely nothing in the second half - how long does it take to get up to speed fitness-wise? Just after he put a simple cross onto the roof of the goal, he was dispossessed on the edge of the box and made no attempt to track his man. Whether this was lack of fitness or lack of desire, either was poor.

Niko, too, was poor, given a torrid time in the first half and out-muscled by Toney (why was he detailed to mark him) for the goal. Obviously, we all feel that Brentford should have been down to ten men by half-time, but the lino did us a massive favour with Toney's first disallowed goal.
The other changes baffled me a little. By removing Ball, we were left open down the middle as Carroll (who ran Dykes close for MOM) was left to man the fort on his own. So Adomah comes on and then Thomas (first proper game of the season, remember) has to move again, as it clearly wasn't working for uncle down the middle. Predictably Adomah's involvement improved and he did some good work down the right. But Thomas, who started off really brightly, disappeared. Then removing Niko, (which left us with no FB's on the pitch) long after the damage was done and replacing him with Bonne, who as far as I could determine didn't touch the ball, was another strange one. I thought losing Kane should have have created an opportunity to bring on Kakay's power and pace down the right, married to Adomah's guile could have caused problems in the last few minutes.
To me, Warburton's changes were reactive and ill-judged and lacking any great planning. Whereas, Frank was proactive, bold and maximised the opportunity to bring on all 5.

But overall, not too bad, played some nice stuff and had them on the back-foot in injury time without troubling them. Without question, Brentford not nearly as slick as last year, but Toney is the real deal.A £25m premiership player in 12 months time, with or without Brentford. But hey, we've got ourselves a decent striker too.
[Post edited 27 Nov 2020 23:04]
Bees v Hoops match thread on 22:53 - Nov 27 with 1679 viewsManinBlack

As bad as our defending was maybe we have to concede that Toney is better at converting chances than Dykes and Bonne. A good goalscorer in this league makes all the difference.
Bees v Hoops match thread on 22:57 - Nov 27 with 1652 viewsbob566

Not knocking the players tonight. We were excellent. 8 corners away from home. Another night one might go in. Proud of them.
Bees v Hoops match thread on 22:59 - Nov 27 with 1627 viewsBostonR

I thought this game would see how far the gap is and in my view, it’s in our favour-we are catching up. That Brentford team is not going up - unless they spend big in Jan which they can do.

Whatever way you look at it, a very poor refereeing performance changes the game in Brentford’s favour. We didn’t roll over. But can we just cut out the silly defensive errors please- Dickie has to mark Tony at that free-kick. Warburton has to apply common fecking sense there - it’s Sunday league stuff!

Great to see Lyndon get on the score-sheet from open play. By the time they come to us LR will be rocking!
Bees v Hoops match thread on 23:04 - Nov 27 with 1596 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Bees v Hoops match thread on 22:52 - Nov 27 by Myke

So, overall, not too bad, especially first half. The clear positive being Dykes first goal from open play. A clear man of the man performance from the big man, as far as I am concerned. The appearance of Thomas was another positive and it seemed a logical change to move BOS to the left and Thomas to the right. The removal of Willock was certainly due as he contributed absolutely nothing in the second half - how long does it take to get up to speed fitness-wise? Just after he put a simple cross onto the roof of the goal, he was dispossessed on the edge of the box and made no attempt to track his man. Whether this was lack of fitness or lack of desire, either was poor.

Niko, too, was poor, given a torrid time in the first half and out-muscled by Toney (why was he detailed to mark him) for the goal. Obviously, we all feel that Brentford should have been down to ten men by half-time, but the lino did us a massive favour with Toney's first disallowed goal.
The other changes baffled me a little. By removing Ball, we were left open down the middle as Carroll (who ran Dykes close for MOM) was left to man the fort on his own. So Adomah comes on and then Thomas (first proper game of the season, remember) has to move again, as it clearly wasn't working for uncle down the middle. Predictably Adomah's involvement improved and he did some good work down the right. But Thomas, who started off really brightly, disappeared. Then removing Niko, (which left us with no FB's on the pitch) long after the damage was done and replacing him with Bonne, who as far as I could determine didn't touch the ball, was another strange one. I thought losing Kane should have have created an opportunity to bring on Kakay's power and pace down the right, married to Adomah's guile could have caused problems in the last few minutes.
To me, Warburton's changes were reactive and ill-judged and lacking any great planning. Whereas, Frank was proactive, bold and maximised the opportunity to bring on all 5.

But overall, not too bad, played some nice stuff and had them on the back-foot in injury time without troubling them. Without question, Brentford not nearly as slick as last year, but Toney is the real deal.A £25m premiership player in 12 months time, with or without Brentford. But hey, we've got ourselves a decent striker too.
[Post edited 27 Nov 2020 23:04]

Good post Myke.

About bringing on Kakay and Adomah. Equally might not have worked either. I'm not sure we had a match winner lurking somewhere on the bench tbh.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Bees v Hoops match thread on 23:28 - Nov 27 with 1507 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Bees v Hoops match thread on 22:35 - Nov 27 by Noelmc

For his size, Barbet is often outmuscled on crosses so would have gone with Dickie marking him at set pieces. Agree with you though that Barbet was our best player tonight.

Fair point.
Dickie is the far better defender technically, but I was just thinking about pace on the whipped-in cross.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Bees v Hoops match thread on 23:32 - Nov 27 with 1489 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Bees v Hoops match thread on 22:40 - Nov 27 by distortR

i like Barbet, but as our most experienced defender, it seems to me that he abdicates responsibility. He shouldn't have let Armstrong isolate Dickie at Blackburn imho.

I agree.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Login to get fewer ads

Bees v Hoops match thread on 23:39 - Nov 27 with 1471 viewsnix

Having said all that, and taking on board everyone's largely justified criticisms, let's face it, it's a hell of an improvement from last season. We actually competed overall, looked better than them for most of the first half, while they shaded the second half. Yes we got caught on the set piece again, but we have tightened up since last season and we were done tonight by the top goal scorer of the division and almost certainly the Championship golden boot. We're learning and improving and we certainly weren't an embarrassment.
Bees v Hoops match thread on 23:50 - Nov 27 with 1415 viewsstainrods_elbow

Bees v Hoops match thread on 23:39 - Nov 27 by nix

Having said all that, and taking on board everyone's largely justified criticisms, let's face it, it's a hell of an improvement from last season. We actually competed overall, looked better than them for most of the first half, while they shaded the second half. Yes we got caught on the set piece again, but we have tightened up since last season and we were done tonight by the top goal scorer of the division and almost certainly the Championship golden boot. We're learning and improving and we certainly weren't an embarrassment.

By what criteria do you claim we've 'tightened up' - only Coventry have let in more goals than us this season, and we're still in November! Open your eyes, man!

We'r slow, precarious and porous at the back, and we don't create or score enough going forwards to negatre that, even though we look promising at times. The season, really, could go either way - or neither!

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

Bees v Hoops match thread on 23:52 - Nov 27 with 1418 viewsMatch82

Bees v Hoops match thread on 22:09 - Nov 27 by Watford_Ranger

That was my first thought but they’ve got three big centre-halves up there and we have Barbet, Dickie, Ball and Dykes at a push so something had to give. If Cameron plays then a better defender probably has Toney. Still, woeful defending.

Maybe, although you figure you want one of your best three covering the near post.

How many times do we lament "didn't even beat the first man" on our set pieces? In this case the set piece didn't even have to beat the first man, don't see that all that often.
Bees v Hoops match thread on 23:57 - Nov 27 with 1397 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Bees v Hoops match thread on 22:50 - Nov 27 by Nov77

The only stat that really matters (other than goals scored) is shots on target, they had 6 to our 2.

Shots on target can vary in quality which is why I don’t agree with that.
Bees v Hoops match thread on 23:58 - Nov 27 with 1400 viewsMyke

Bees v Hoops match thread on 23:50 - Nov 27 by stainrods_elbow

By what criteria do you claim we've 'tightened up' - only Coventry have let in more goals than us this season, and we're still in November! Open your eyes, man!

We'r slow, precarious and porous at the back, and we don't create or score enough going forwards to negatre that, even though we look promising at times. The season, really, could go either way - or neither!

2 Points:
A It's open your eyes, woman!
B The season has to go 'either way'. 'Neither' is not an option (unless covid stops it I suppose)
Bees v Hoops match thread on 00:08 - Nov 28 with 1365 viewsqprxtc

We played well.

We lost.

We won’t go up or down.

All these games without fans are irrelevant.

Brentford are in Middlesex. I will never hate them.

I hate the Kings Road Shite irrationally and rationally. Utter waste of humanity.
Bees v Hoops match thread on 00:17 - Nov 28 with 1353 viewsqueensparker

Bees v Hoops match thread on 00:08 - Nov 28 by qprxtc

We played well.

We lost.

We won’t go up or down.

All these games without fans are irrelevant.

Brentford are in Middlesex. I will never hate them.

I hate the Kings Road Shite irrationally and rationally. Utter waste of humanity.

This
Bees v Hoops match thread on 00:18 - Nov 28 with 1349 viewsHAYESBOY

Have now calmed down after a few hours.

Ref.................FFS. Red card all day, there's no excuse as he gave the foul. The nob should not ref again for a month at least and be shown the replay as to why it was a red.

The second goal.

What is Hamelinen doing marking Toney firstly. Then why is Todd Kane not right in front of him on his toes. He is is no mands land.

I thought we were very good going forward. Willock, Chair, BoS, all good and looking dangerous. Dykes taking his goal is a plus as the longer that dragged on it could become a problem. Should of scored later though. Carroll had a good first half, ok second.
I think we can now see we miss Amos in there, far more mobile.

Can see why Kane got two yellows. Pulled someone back first half and challenge was high for the second.

But how did Toney not get a yellow for chasing down Barbet and going through him?

Hate losing to them.

Oh and the SKY commentary was horrendous.

Going to bed. Bollx to it.

Smells like a trout farm in here

Bees v Hoops match thread on 07:21 - Nov 28 with 1162 viewsjoe90

It's the hope that kills you!

Didn't think we'd win but when I saw the score was 1-1 a rare Friday night win seemed possible.

Didn't watch the game as I don't have sky, but from what I've gathered from the comments is that it wasn't a complete disaster. A goal from open play is a definite positive.

On we go.
Bees v Hoops match thread on 07:38 - Nov 28 with 1145 viewsnix

Bees v Hoops match thread on 23:50 - Nov 27 by stainrods_elbow

Well it's a bit difficult to score when you get bludgeoned off the ball from behind when you're one on one with the goalie. Which is why they have that little red card rule for the team that does it. 2-1 up or playing against ten men and it's a different game. Instead, we end up with ten men. Go figure...

We've still got a long way to go defensively, I agree but I still think our defence is better than last season.

If you really don't think that yesterday's performance was better than last year's against Brentford then we're watching a different game. Yes we've got a way to go, but we rattled them, particularly in the first half, and I think that's an improvement.
[Post edited 28 Nov 2020 7:46]
Bees v Hoops match thread on 08:26 - Nov 28 with 1077 viewsjohncharles

The question of why don’t BOS and Chair pass the ball to Dykes. Last night BOS did just that and Dykes scored but Chair steadfastly refuses to pass to Dykes. Why ?

Strong and stable my arse.

Bees v Hoops match thread on 08:39 - Nov 28 with 1054 viewseastside_r

A whole world better than last year's performance at Brentford (but that was a very low bar to clear.)

WhyTF was Niko marking Toney (badly) for the winner and not one of the CBs?

Ref missed a lot of off-the-ball stuff by Brentford as well not awarding the red card. Their goal ruled out was on-side.

This conceding from set-pieces is starting to piss me right off. It does not diminish our ability to play free-flowing Warbsball if we could set ourselves up right at corners etc.
[Post edited 28 Nov 2020 8:41]
Bees v Hoops match thread on 08:44 - Nov 28 with 1044 viewsbakerloo8

Bees v Hoops match thread on 22:22 - Nov 27 by BazzaInTheLoft

Harsh this in my opinion. Thought he had a good game until the sending off. Could argue he was stupid to put a challenge like that after the first yellow.

He was marking a man on his own when the ball was played . It was Brights man I think, but as the pundits said at the time he might have been instructed to let him go.

I don’t think anyone came out looking terrible tonight, except Haamelainen perhaps.

No mate, his position for the free kick not the first goal. Supposed to be near post man to stop the exact free kick that happened going into the box. Poor effort.

As for the red, 2 very stupid and avoidable fouls. Poor game for me in an overall decent team performance.
Bees v Hoops match thread on 09:19 - Nov 28 with 958 viewsMalintabuk

Not quite sure the teams know whether we zonal or man mark. It was zonal for Toney goal which was why poor Niko had him..... wish we would go man marking
As I said at the time not just Niko marking him gave him that chance, but the FK was superb and a far cry from our efforts.
We never seem to look dangerous from ours, 8 corners and several wide FKs and can anyone think of a dangerous one
Guess we have to cut our cloth to suit but surely we can be a little more productive with FKs/corners
[Post edited 28 Nov 2020 9:20]
Bees v Hoops match thread on 09:20 - Nov 28 with 953 viewsSilverfoxqpr

Bees v Hoops match thread on 21:51 - Nov 27 by Phildo

They were far from the best team we have played all year.

Agreed. That would be Blackburn I reckon.
Bees v Hoops match thread on 09:23 - Nov 28 with 941 viewseastside_r

Bees v Hoops match thread on 09:19 - Nov 28 by Malintabuk

Not quite sure the teams know whether we zonal or man mark. It was zonal for Toney goal which was why poor Niko had him..... wish we would go man marking
As I said at the time not just Niko marking him gave him that chance, but the FK was superb and a far cry from our efforts.
We never seem to look dangerous from ours, 8 corners and several wide FKs and can anyone think of a dangerous one
Guess we have to cut our cloth to suit but surely we can be a little more productive with FKs/corners
[Post edited 28 Nov 2020 9:20]

To do zonal marking you need world-class defenders and world-class defensive coaching; we have neither.

Therefore I agree with you, we need to man-mark.
Bees v Hoops match thread on 09:26 - Nov 28 with 937 viewsjohncharles

Bees v Hoops match thread on 22:19 - Nov 27 by CliveWilsonSaid

I thought Chair had a chance to control the ball and shoot before it got to Dykes.

So did Dykes 😄
[Post edited 28 Nov 2020 9:28]

Strong and stable my arse.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024