Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The best thing about that... 18:24 - Feb 6 with 9676 viewsNorthernr

... is it is such an un-QPR-like win.

Second best for large parts, they've got a better midfield, Armstrong is brilliant and they kept getting him into that channel, Dieng has had to make brilliant saves, backs to the wall etc etc. Probably a draw is a fair result, couldn;t have argued if we'd loss. And yet we've won, with the scrappiest goal, off a ball dropping just right at last. These are the wins we haven't been able to get over the line, your bread and butter wins that you need. You're not going to play well every week and you need to bleed a result out of a stone when you don't. We've done that today.

This has thrilled me more than Luton, Watford or Cardiff. Well done Rangers. Fcking well done.

Just wish we'd been there to roar them home through that stoppage time. Silver Lining would have sounded so sweet.
The best thing about that... on 01:37 - Feb 7 with 1815 viewsVancouverHoop

I tend to thing it was more a change in personnel than a change in playing philosophy. We were fielding experienced players today, as well as youngsters. I doubt we'd have got that result without Austin, Johansen, Cameron, and Wallace on the pitch, and Adomah coming off the bench. They know how to see out a "horrible match," a quality we've conspicuously failed to show up until now.
The best thing about that... on 06:34 - Feb 7 with 1677 viewsBenny_the_Ball

The best thing about that... on 00:19 - Feb 7 by actonman

Criticism of Warbs was fair and just as everybody could see his failings but he was too stubborn to change.
It’s only when his rrrs was truly on the line that we dropped the Barcelona keep ball football and started to play to get results not possession stats .

Fair play and I for one am happy that he has shown he can change his philosophy to get the results needed .

When we know how to win ugly , we can start playing pretty again

Agreed. The more astute among the fanbase have been calling for MW to demonstrate a little more flexibility and, at times, pragmatism. It appears that he's finally taken this constructive criticism on board.
[Post edited 7 Feb 2021 6:40]
The best thing about that... on 06:36 - Feb 7 with 1676 viewsBenny_the_Ball

The best thing about that... on 01:37 - Feb 7 by VancouverHoop

I tend to thing it was more a change in personnel than a change in playing philosophy. We were fielding experienced players today, as well as youngsters. I doubt we'd have got that result without Austin, Johansen, Cameron, and Wallace on the pitch, and Adomah coming off the bench. They know how to see out a "horrible match," a quality we've conspicuously failed to show up until now.

It's a bit of both. In his post-match interview Warburton alluded to our improved defensive record being down to a more pragmatic approach. However you do need the right personnel to pull it off.
The best thing about that... on 06:49 - Feb 7 with 1665 viewsBenny_the_Ball

The best thing about that... on 23:52 - Feb 6 by Northernr

Agree with all of that, but after four wins in a month you watch and see all the fresh faces next week if and when we lose to Rotherham. Strange behaviour, like they’re glad of a defeat to prove their point.

Interesting. I guess as moderator you'd know but is there really a slew of posters who only appear when the going gets rough? My perception of this message board is that most posters are balanced in that they provide constructive criticism when it's merited and credit when it's due.

P.S. If and WHEN we lose to Rotherham??? Steady on!
The best thing about that... on 07:43 - Feb 7 with 1630 viewsdenhamhoop2

It was a beautiful ugly win Blackburn had some great chances they didn't take thanks to a combination of poor finishing great keeping and last ditch defending. Johansson and Charlie have added a bit of bite and chat to the team it is noticeable now when 50/50 decisions occur it isn't 5 against 1 surrounding the ref but a bit more even.
Reminded a bit of the "Holloway" Girl in The Taxi Job Done Performance.
The best thing about that... on 07:55 - Feb 7 with 1607 viewsderbyhoop

Isnt it great to win ugly?
I didn't think k it was a bad game entertainment wise. But not one for the football purists.
Surprised how often they went long. Especially from set pieces. And I did think they were the better side. Just that we are far more resilient than earlier in the season.

Will Barbet's goal be in contention for goal of the season?

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

The best thing about that... on 08:14 - Feb 7 with 1583 viewsnix

I don't think it's all or nothing but several factors that have led to our change in fortunes. It's indeed been transformative to get a few old heads in the team. Another point is that Warburton has actually had some time on the training pitch to get a new formation bedded in. I'm not sure it would have worked so well if he'd just thrown it in in the few hours a week they were getting when we were playing every three days. Also, our defence has been playing together consistently. We haven't had that for years, where the same central defenders and goalie have all played together for a number of matches. They now have a much better understanding of who is going to stay back and mark the dangerous player and who is going to do the block, interception etc so they don't all run towards the ball leaving someone completely unmarked to tap/head it in. Individually Dickie is a much better player with games under his belt and to his credit has ended his bad habit of grabbing the forward in the penalty area or when he gets away, leading to red cards/penalties etc. He's seen that often his teammates will cover, or the guy misses in any case, so it's not worth the sanctions.

Also, we've been scoring a couple of goals across the team, taking pressure off our defence. It's hard to defend a nil for a whole match.

I haven't seen anyone get one of those classic championship free kicks before Charlie came back this season of where they wait for someone to slightly go into the back of them and then go down, generally when the team's under pressure and could do with a bit of respite. Charlie has got three of those from memory so far. We've got better at the tactical foul now. We tend to do it when we're genuinely stretched now, rather than when someone is not really going anywhere or not at all. When everyone else in doing the dark arts, unfortunately we have to too.

I think Warburton knows his players a bit better now and is improving who and when to sub someone out. I think that's probably fair enough given that so many of them were new and he's only had them for half of the season. Also many of them didn't have substantial Championship experience and are learning on the job.

As for the offloading when we lose, it's a bit irritating when there's no balance but I can get it. What gets on my nerves is when losing a few matches leads to the, get the manager out, get the director of football out, get the coaches out, get the CEO out with no recognition of what they're all trying to achieve and what they've been up against. All the toys come out the pram and everyone gets caught in the crossfire. Of course they can say whatever they like but I don't want our whole long term plan torn up for a few agitators with twitchy fingers.
[Post edited 7 Feb 2021 10:19]
The best thing about that... on 10:29 - Feb 7 with 1456 viewsRog

Maybe Dickie having confidence that Seny is much more likely to make the save helps too?
Login to get fewer ads

The best thing about that... on 10:42 - Feb 7 with 1439 viewsdublinr

The best thing about that... on 08:14 - Feb 7 by nix

I don't think it's all or nothing but several factors that have led to our change in fortunes. It's indeed been transformative to get a few old heads in the team. Another point is that Warburton has actually had some time on the training pitch to get a new formation bedded in. I'm not sure it would have worked so well if he'd just thrown it in in the few hours a week they were getting when we were playing every three days. Also, our defence has been playing together consistently. We haven't had that for years, where the same central defenders and goalie have all played together for a number of matches. They now have a much better understanding of who is going to stay back and mark the dangerous player and who is going to do the block, interception etc so they don't all run towards the ball leaving someone completely unmarked to tap/head it in. Individually Dickie is a much better player with games under his belt and to his credit has ended his bad habit of grabbing the forward in the penalty area or when he gets away, leading to red cards/penalties etc. He's seen that often his teammates will cover, or the guy misses in any case, so it's not worth the sanctions.

Also, we've been scoring a couple of goals across the team, taking pressure off our defence. It's hard to defend a nil for a whole match.

I haven't seen anyone get one of those classic championship free kicks before Charlie came back this season of where they wait for someone to slightly go into the back of them and then go down, generally when the team's under pressure and could do with a bit of respite. Charlie has got three of those from memory so far. We've got better at the tactical foul now. We tend to do it when we're genuinely stretched now, rather than when someone is not really going anywhere or not at all. When everyone else in doing the dark arts, unfortunately we have to too.

I think Warburton knows his players a bit better now and is improving who and when to sub someone out. I think that's probably fair enough given that so many of them were new and he's only had them for half of the season. Also many of them didn't have substantial Championship experience and are learning on the job.

As for the offloading when we lose, it's a bit irritating when there's no balance but I can get it. What gets on my nerves is when losing a few matches leads to the, get the manager out, get the director of football out, get the coaches out, get the CEO out with no recognition of what they're all trying to achieve and what they've been up against. All the toys come out the pram and everyone gets caught in the crossfire. Of course they can say whatever they like but I don't want our whole long term plan torn up for a few agitators with twitchy fingers.
[Post edited 7 Feb 2021 10:19]

Another excellent post, nix.

The best thing about that... on 10:44 - Feb 7 with 1431 viewsLongsufferingR

FWIW the issue isn't with people criticising when we've played badly or the manager makes mistakes or a player is rubbish - we ALL do that and rightly so. The issue for me is when people use a bad result to start harking back to the 80s and 90s, saying the club is rotten, laying into the owners for mistakes made 10 years ago that we are all aware of (including them), and basically extrapolating one or two bad results into an apocalypse.

NOBODY minds fair criticism when it's deserved. However, a home defeat to Swansea doesn't mean we are on the wrong track as a club long term. We finally have a team in charge who seem to get the bigger picture, so we need to see the good as well as the bad, just like the new version of paulparker does!
The best thing about that... on 12:00 - Feb 7 with 1303 viewshoopsmark

The best thing about that... on 10:29 - Feb 7 by Rog

Maybe Dickie having confidence that Seny is much more likely to make the save helps too?

Could be......

2 comments i noticed on that BRFC Forum

'Get on Dickies shoulder,he is so slow its like he is pulling a caravan'...:)

'Their keeper is brilliant!!'
[Post edited 7 Feb 2021 12:01]
The best thing about that... on 13:09 - Feb 7 with 1195 viewsTacticalR

@robith 'Back in December we lose that game 2-0.

I'm a Warburton fan and thought it pointless making a change. But back when everyone was baying for blood I thought it was inevitable that he would be sacked. That energy just doesn't get turned around.'

Don't forget that, however things might have appeared at the time, when loftboy did a poll on Dec 19th, the day we drew with Wycombe, and when we hadn't won a game for more than a month, 66% said Warbs should stay:
New poll on Warbs by loftboy 19 Dec 2020 20:23
[poll_2584]

@nix 'As for the offloading when we lose, it's a bit irritating when there's no balance but I can get it. What gets on my nerves is when losing a few matches leads to the, get the manager out, get the director of football out, get the coaches out, get the CEO out with no recognition of what they're all trying to achieve and what they've been up against. All the toys come out the pram and everyone gets caught in the crossfire. Of course they can say whatever they like but I don't want our whole long term plan torn up for a few agitators with twitchy fingers.'

Agree the 'tear it all down' mentality is irritating. Having said that I did feel that a lot of the calls for Warburton's replacement were a bit half-hearted, presumably because people sensed that the problems were deeper than the manager, not to mention the uninspiring list of usual managerial suspects on offer.

Air hostess clique

The best thing about that... on 15:18 - Feb 7 with 1082 viewsdaveB

Although it was a nice hard fought ugly win I did think it was quite an even game. Blackburn had 2 really good spells where we were hanging on a bit but we also had good spells in the game. Kane should have scored first half, just before the goal I thought Austin could have done better with a half chance but last 15 ins for all their possession they didn't really create anything. Always thought the only way they would score would be our mistake, which was always a possibility.

Have to say after Swansea I thought Warburton was a goner, I like him but felt really low after that one. We looked a real mess and I couldn't see him turning it around. The effort shown in that Norwich draw and the Luton game being called off saved him though, that gave him time on the training ground which he needed and they look a lot more organised now.

The Austin signing has been the key though, we badly needed an experienced front man who can add some goals much like Wells/Hugil last season but we have got more than that with Austins character and love for the club. He has transformed the place. So many times this season if we haven't scored early we lose belief as the game wears on but with Austin they know that if they just stay in the game they will get chances to win it, it's a real change of mindset.

Having said all that it is still horribly tight and we need to keep it going, we should be aiming to better last seasons league position which is achievable but w are far from safe yet
The best thing about that... on 15:29 - Feb 7 with 1042 viewsPinnerPaul

Just thinking that maybe our goal wasn't just a deflection to Barbet, but poor clearance by their young defender?

Yes it came at him quickly, but think if that had happened to us the culprit wouldn't have had a happy time on here!

On the club live feed you can see him looking annoyed with himself as he goes back to changing room at the end.
The best thing about that... on 15:31 - Feb 7 with 1039 viewsPinnerPaul

The other, obvious point, is that if you make it hard to score against you, you're always in with a chance - big part of that is no 'silly' errors and whisper it quietly, not too many of them at the moment.
The best thing about that... on 15:31 - Feb 7 with 1027 views2Thomas2Bowles

You lot are too forgiving.
The problem is, we never push on, it's like snakes and ladders.

Maybe that's not all down to MW but a lot has been, poor selection poor subs and one-minded tactics.

Anyway, I'm still here, just.

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

The best thing about that... on 15:33 - Feb 7 with 1028 viewsPinnerPaul

The best thing about that... on 18:32 - Feb 6 by Antti_Heinola

I wouldn't call it jammy. Had the performances and score been reversed, the team would've been destroyed on here. I thought we defended well and other than the free kick and that one Dieng save / Dickie block and Dieng's rare error, I wasn't unduly worried, weirdly. Kane should've scored first half and Chair was as effective as Armstrong imo. Speaking of which, that lad works his ass off for the team. 92nd minute he sprinted back to help out Wallace. Incredible energy levels.

Keep saying this, but Barbet really is playing well at the moment. And Warburton deserves real credit for doing what everyone said he couldn't do: organise a defence and grind out results.

Patience.

Can't agree on the Armstrong v Chair comparison - yet.

Armstrong has far more end product - he has something like 15 goals so far this season already!
The best thing about that... on 15:38 - Feb 7 with 1009 viewsPinnerPaul

The best thing about that... on 18:37 - Feb 6 by Northernr

And I know I say this a lot but... isn;t it quiet on here tonight? Four wins out of five, clean sheets, defence improved. Two threads north of the match thread. Tumbleweeds drifting.

I get the letting off steam thing, but I do find it odd the amount of people silently waiting to pounce on our failures to prove their POV right.

Yep and I say it a lot as well.

Also accounts for the negative reaction and hostility that the negative posters get when they DO come back - and they will.

Been guilty of getting drawn into petty squabbles with them myself, but its difficult to take criticism of the club and personnel from those who rarely show up when we're in a good run, as we are now. For my own sanity I've resorted to the ignore button, but its a shame that we can't ALL enjoy the good times ON the pitch, especially when things are so rough for so many off it.
The best thing about that... on 15:38 - Feb 7 with 1008 viewsE15Hoop

The best thing about that... on 15:31 - Feb 7 by 2Thomas2Bowles

You lot are too forgiving.
The problem is, we never push on, it's like snakes and ladders.

Maybe that's not all down to MW but a lot has been, poor selection poor subs and one-minded tactics.

Anyway, I'm still here, just.

I think that's unnecessarily harsh. I'm very much in the majority camp that there has been a massive turnaround since Saint Charles of Hungerford returned, and that's permeated right through the whole club, as it was always likely too.

You can't really argue with 4 wins out of 5 - I would respectfully suggest that represents kicking on, compared to 4 wins out of 25 previously..
The best thing about that... on 15:40 - Feb 7 with 997 viewsBrianMcCarthy

The best thing about that... on 15:18 - Feb 7 by daveB

Although it was a nice hard fought ugly win I did think it was quite an even game. Blackburn had 2 really good spells where we were hanging on a bit but we also had good spells in the game. Kane should have scored first half, just before the goal I thought Austin could have done better with a half chance but last 15 ins for all their possession they didn't really create anything. Always thought the only way they would score would be our mistake, which was always a possibility.

Have to say after Swansea I thought Warburton was a goner, I like him but felt really low after that one. We looked a real mess and I couldn't see him turning it around. The effort shown in that Norwich draw and the Luton game being called off saved him though, that gave him time on the training ground which he needed and they look a lot more organised now.

The Austin signing has been the key though, we badly needed an experienced front man who can add some goals much like Wells/Hugil last season but we have got more than that with Austins character and love for the club. He has transformed the place. So many times this season if we haven't scored early we lose belief as the game wears on but with Austin they know that if they just stay in the game they will get chances to win it, it's a real change of mindset.

Having said all that it is still horribly tight and we need to keep it going, we should be aiming to better last seasons league position which is achievable but w are far from safe yet

Agree with you about Austin's miss, Dave. I'll actually go further and say it was a very bad miss, one that Dykes or Bonne would get pelters for had it been them. Anywhere else but straight at Nyamba and it was a goal.

I'm keeping an open mind on Austin's Damascene conversion into a model pro but one thing that I find intriguing and potentially exciting is that Austin's finishing has actually been really poor since rejoining us, I make it 2 goals from 14 shots. Imagine if and when that improves!

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

The best thing about that... on 15:46 - Feb 7 with 979 viewsdaveB

The best thing about that... on 15:40 - Feb 7 by BrianMcCarthy

Agree with you about Austin's miss, Dave. I'll actually go further and say it was a very bad miss, one that Dykes or Bonne would get pelters for had it been them. Anywhere else but straight at Nyamba and it was a goal.

I'm keeping an open mind on Austin's Damascene conversion into a model pro but one thing that I find intriguing and potentially exciting is that Austin's finishing has actually been really poor since rejoining us, I make it 2 goals from 14 shots. Imagine if and when that improves!

thing with Austin is he's not scared to miss, he'll have a few shots which come to nothing but it won't affect him, he'll just keep going
The best thing about that... on 15:48 - Feb 7 with 971 viewsBrianMcCarthy

The best thing about that... on 15:46 - Feb 7 by daveB

thing with Austin is he's not scared to miss, he'll have a few shots which come to nothing but it won't affect him, he'll just keep going

True, making it more likely that he'll start hitting more goals I guess.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

The best thing about that... on 15:58 - Feb 7 with 919 views2Thomas2Bowles

The best thing about that... on 15:38 - Feb 7 by E15Hoop

I think that's unnecessarily harsh. I'm very much in the majority camp that there has been a massive turnaround since Saint Charles of Hungerford returned, and that's permeated right through the whole club, as it was always likely too.

You can't really argue with 4 wins out of 5 - I would respectfully suggest that represents kicking on, compared to 4 wins out of 25 previously..

4 wins out of 25 previously

Thank you for making my point.

A short run of 4 from 5 while good means little if we return to poorer form, which is often the case.

But we will see.

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

The best thing about that... on 16:05 - Feb 7 with 905 viewsactonman

The best thing about that... on 15:48 - Feb 7 by BrianMcCarthy

True, making it more likely that he'll start hitting more goals I guess.

Also with Austin , I would say over 90 percent of his efforts are on target which breeds confidence and worries defences
The best thing about that... on 16:23 - Feb 7 with 869 viewsE15Hoop

The best thing about that... on 15:58 - Feb 7 by 2Thomas2Bowles

4 wins out of 25 previously

Thank you for making my point.

A short run of 4 from 5 while good means little if we return to poorer form, which is often the case.

But we will see.

Have faith. I don't think anyone's suggesting that we'll win 17 out of 19 remaining games, but there's only really been the Barnsley and Huddersfield games where we've been made to look fools this season, as far as I can remember.

The defence is clearly tighter and fighting for their lives to keep clean sheets, Dom Ball is on a one man Charge of the Light Brigade every match, and we have a genuine talisman up front plus much better service coming in to him.

There's organisation and confidence flowing through the side now, and that creates its own momentum. I think the worst (for this season at least) is behind us now.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024