Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Your first proper trainers or boots. 10:30 - Jan 9 with 5441 viewsSnipper

After seeing the memory loftboy left on the Franz Beckenbauer thread, it got me thinking of what my first ‘named’ trainers and football boots were.

Trainers were Adidas Bamba. I was about 13, and I thought they were the bollocks.
Boots were Adidas Penerol. Again, I thought I was the bees knees.

We played football practically every day growing up, whether it was the caged pen in our flats, the old pitches under the westway or up at St Marks Park.

Thank god there was no social media in those days. We were fit fúckers back then.
Your first proper trainers or boots. on 10:41 - Jan 9 with 4003 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Gola, baby!

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Your first proper trainers or boots. on 10:48 - Jan 9 with 3986 viewsChrisNW6

Patrick Keegan Kings, absolute beauties and would always use a bit of Dubbin after playing 😁
Your first proper trainers or boots. on 10:54 - Jan 9 with 3965 viewsstowmarketrange

I don’t remember any particular boots but they were probably gola.The trainers were always Dunlop green flash.As a goalie I remember getting my first ever pair of gloves from Decosta in Fulham palace rd.The thin green ones endorsed by the keeper who cost us the 1970 World Cup.I also had an Adidas white holdall to carry everything in to games at the weekend.

I’m glad I grew up in a time before there was social media,PlayStations and constant tv.We were out playing all day back in the 60’s and 70’s,but that was only because there was nothing else to do and I’m sure we would’ve been the same as today’s generation if those things were available back then.
Your first proper trainers or boots. on 10:59 - Jan 9 with 3955 viewsHantsR

I was so pleased to get my first pair of 'Stanley Matthews' boots with big cork studs and a hard toecap, which I tried to make shiny with lots of Dubbin. I was fairly slight but felt new confidence as I went on the muddy, gritty recreation ground pitch. Sadly, I found that I could barely move with these heavy things on my small feet and when I tried to kick the heavy, wet leather ball, I hurt my toes and the ball stayed where I found it.
Your first proper trainers or boots. on 11:03 - Jan 9 with 3946 viewsstevec

Your first proper trainers or boots. on 10:59 - Jan 9 by HantsR

I was so pleased to get my first pair of 'Stanley Matthews' boots with big cork studs and a hard toecap, which I tried to make shiny with lots of Dubbin. I was fairly slight but felt new confidence as I went on the muddy, gritty recreation ground pitch. Sadly, I found that I could barely move with these heavy things on my small feet and when I tried to kick the heavy, wet leather ball, I hurt my toes and the ball stayed where I found it.

Something like this?

Think my first pair were Eusebio Puma, black with yellow stripe. To be fair I was probably more suited to the boots above.
Your first proper trainers or boots. on 11:03 - Jan 9 with 3947 viewsloftboy

You know my boots, trainers would have been Adidas Kick.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Your first proper trainers or boots. on 11:08 - Jan 9 with 3938 viewshubble

Amazing what you can find in the lumber room of your memory: Stylo Matchmakers were my first football boots. Unfortunately, they didn't have quite the same effect as "Billy's boots".

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

Your first proper trainers or boots. on 11:26 - Jan 9 with 3908 viewsbosh67

Your first proper trainers or boots. on 10:41 - Jan 9 by BrianMcCarthy

Gola, baby!

Mine too. Yellow striped. Loved them. The kind of pitches I played on it would take you three days of cleaning just to find the boots in there.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Login to get fewer ads

Your first proper trainers or boots. on 11:36 - Jan 9 with 3890 viewsRs_Holy

Gola, baby!

After suffering a pair of Woolworths footy boots (not sure my feet have ever recovered) I convinced mum and dad to get me a pair of these...

Really lovely boots!
Your first proper trainers or boots. on 11:49 - Jan 9 with 3871 viewsMetallica_Hoop

I think my first football boots were by Cotton Oxford which the school were tying to pimp on us and I didn't know any better, as I recall they fell apart pretty quickly so I got cheap Adidas.

My first keepers gloves were no cushioning Puma ones not the best for stopping a size 5 'Minerva' rock on a cold January day.

I was so happy when I saved up and bought Schmeichel Sondico ones in Parksy's. "Look the part, feel the part" as an old manager of mine once said.
Though he was the one who tried to get me to wear Dave Beasants top for the Middlesex cup final as we 'borrowed' Chelsea's away kit (different times) I refused point blank..."Look the part. feel the part"

Just looked it up for an early 90's one it's not bad.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Your first proper trainers or boots. on 11:55 - Jan 9 with 3858 viewsParkRoyalR

Power Tunis trainers (a few years before Adidas Kick), Ron Springett Sports!
Your first proper trainers or boots. on 12:10 - Jan 9 with 3837 viewsTonto

Another one with Addidas Kick for the trainers.

I was also the age when Patrick football boots were all the rage. I had a pair, although dont remember which. Think they were moulded studs. I do remember my first screw in studs (one of the weird metrics upon which quality of the kudos of boots was based) were Addidas Trevor Francis. I remember going I to the sports shop when I needed a new stud and proudly saying those where the boots I had (not realising that studs were universal) and the bloke behind the counter scoffing at me for not knowing it didn't matter.
[Post edited 9 Jan 12:13]

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

Your first proper trainers or boots. on 12:19 - Jan 9 with 3808 viewsNoelmc

Gola, baby!

It's a long time ago but think I always wore Puma except for several years in my mid-teens during the 70's when it had to be Gola because Stan wore them!

Along with the rest of my football (and Subbuteo) gear, boots were bought from Ron Springett's sports shop on the Uxbridge Rd.
Your first proper trainers or boots. on 12:20 - Jan 9 with 3801 viewsBexleyHoop

Patrick Platini Silver football boots and Addidas Kick trainers.

Fond memories of these two sets of footwear
Your first proper trainers or boots. on 12:48 - Jan 9 with 3745 viewsTheChef

Your first proper trainers or boots. on 11:49 - Jan 9 by Metallica_Hoop

I think my first football boots were by Cotton Oxford which the school were tying to pimp on us and I didn't know any better, as I recall they fell apart pretty quickly so I got cheap Adidas.

My first keepers gloves were no cushioning Puma ones not the best for stopping a size 5 'Minerva' rock on a cold January day.

I was so happy when I saved up and bought Schmeichel Sondico ones in Parksy's. "Look the part, feel the part" as an old manager of mine once said.
Though he was the one who tried to get me to wear Dave Beasants top for the Middlesex cup final as we 'borrowed' Chelsea's away kit (different times) I refused point blank..."Look the part. feel the part"

Ha I also had Cotton Oxfords as my first boots, rubbish they were.

Later had some Puma Dalglish boots that came with this heat sensitive keyring which I thought was the mutts nuts.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Your first proper trainers or boots. on 12:58 - Jan 9 with 3721 viewsaston_hoop

I seem to remember having some Patrick Michael Laudrup boots as a kid, they were cool even if the other kids didn't think so!

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Your first proper trainers or boots. on 13:04 - Jan 9 with 3703 viewsloftboy

Your first proper trainers or boots. on 11:49 - Jan 9 by Metallica_Hoop

My first goal keeper gloves were plain green and cotton !

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Your first proper trainers or boots. on 13:04 - Jan 9 with 3696 viewsswitchingcode

Addidas La Plata were my first decent boots in the early 60s after a few years of Stanley Matthew’s type boots with bang in studs
Your first proper trainers or boots. on 13:17 - Jan 9 with 3670 viewsCamberleyR

Trainers - My Mum has a couple of photos, one with me and my brother in our back garden with our bikes, his a Raleigh Chopper and mine a Raleigh Chipper (like a junior Chopper) and I'm about 6 and kneeling by the bike and on my feet are a pair of white adidas trainers with black stripes.

The other photo is taken in the back garden having a kick around at my 7th birthday party in 1972 and I'm pretty sure they're the same trainers. Can't remember what the particular name of adidas trainers they were.

This was a couple of years before I started supporting QPR so I'm wearing the full 1972 Crystal Palace kit (the white shirt that had a claret and light blue vertical stripe down the middle, think classic Don Rogers) because I really liked the kit which was bought for my birthday from Jim Standen (the ex West Ham keeper) Sports in Camberley. The first trainers I truly remember getting (for my 10th birthday) were adidas Kick (black leather with white stripes) which I'd wager a few of us of a similar age would have had.

Boots - I'm pretty sure they would have been adidas Beckenbauer with the yellow stripes like these:

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Your first proper trainers or boots. on 13:17 - Jan 9 with 3670 viewsSimonJames

My first sports "boots" were ice hockey skates. Can't remember what brand though as it was about 53 years ago.

100% of people who drink water will die.

Your first proper trainers or boots. on 13:36 - Jan 9 with 3639 viewswood_hoop

I seem to remember these being regarded as rather stylish in my youth....

https://i8.amplience.net/i/jpl/sz_561257_a?qlt=92&w=750&h=580&v=1&fmt=auto
Your first proper trainers or boots. on 13:53 - Jan 9 with 3592 viewsMidlands_Ranger

Good thread....

Had a pair of Mitre boots around 1990 I loved them, had nice little purple finish around the mitre logo. They were the first pair I had...the first pair I really did like were the original addidas predators....I remember watching something on what I think was blue Peter about them as they were so revolutionary...I had to have a pair...and I thought they would have me scoring all sorts of goals but didn't quite turn out that way...at right back I remained followed by a brief and unsuccessful stint in center midfield. Had some sondico shin pads that made you look like you had the shins of optimus prime, they have resurfaced in the memory. It's mad thinking back how I'd play everyday at school, then after school then for the school on Thursday and then training on Friday night for club with a match Sunday and then run or bike home and play some more with mates. Absolute glory days.
[Post edited 9 Jan 13:55]
Your first proper trainers or boots. on 14:02 - Jan 9 with 3551 viewsCateLeBonR

I used to love going into the shoe shop when I was little. They had that funny machine which measured the the width and length of your feet and the tape measure for the circumference. Used to make me feel all tingly. Although I was quite upset when the women at my local Clark’s informed me that I had sticky-out little toes!

Apart from scoring a 25 yard wind assisted goal in my school interhouse football tournament my playing acievements were fairly modest. I did own a pair of simple black puma boots though I think.

The trainers I remember most were a pair of Nike’s. Dunks i think or something similar looking.
Your first proper trainers or boots. on 14:09 - Jan 9 with 3534 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Your first proper trainers or boots. on 14:02 - Jan 9 by CateLeBonR

I used to love going into the shoe shop when I was little. They had that funny machine which measured the the width and length of your feet and the tape measure for the circumference. Used to make me feel all tingly. Although I was quite upset when the women at my local Clark’s informed me that I had sticky-out little toes!

Apart from scoring a 25 yard wind assisted goal in my school interhouse football tournament my playing acievements were fairly modest. I did own a pair of simple black puma boots though I think.

The trainers I remember most were a pair of Nike’s. Dunks i think or something similar looking.

"I used to love going into the shoe shop when I was little. They had that funny machine which measured the the width and length of your feet and the tape measure for the circumference. Used to make me feel all tingly. Although I was quite upset when the women at my local Clark’s informed me that I had sticky-out little toes!"

Yes!
I used to love it too. Our local shopowner was a known miser and he'd use the machine and squeze the crap out of kids' feet while doing it so they'd get small boots and need replacement boots sooner!

My Dad cottoned on to it and came with me. Shopowner took twenty minutes doing all the fancy stuff, I'd get ready to hand over my cash, wise Dad would say "give him a size up"!

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Your first proper trainers or boots. on 14:18 - Jan 9 with 3508 viewsCateLeBonR

Your first proper trainers or boots. on 14:09 - Jan 9 by BrianMcCarthy

"I used to love going into the shoe shop when I was little. They had that funny machine which measured the the width and length of your feet and the tape measure for the circumference. Used to make me feel all tingly. Although I was quite upset when the women at my local Clark’s informed me that I had sticky-out little toes!"

Yes!
I used to love it too. Our local shopowner was a known miser and he'd use the machine and squeze the crap out of kids' feet while doing it so they'd get small boots and need replacement boots sooner!

My Dad cottoned on to it and came with me. Shopowner took twenty minutes doing all the fancy stuff, I'd get ready to hand over my cash, wise Dad would say "give him a size up"!

That’s terrible Brian! So maybe my sticky-out little toes were a blessing because I think they used to give me a size up to compensate.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024