Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The LFW Confession Box 20:55 - Apr 28 with 5221 viewsSuperhoops2808

So now we are safe and looking forward to being able to enjoy not just the next game but a whole week in the lead up, time for a little fun.

Let’s open up the LFW Confession Box – Its time to admit whether you thought we would be safe, relegated or if you are L-Block thought we would be relegated by Christmas (Just kidding mate) – At what point did your opinions change etc throughout the season. I know there were many that dreaded this season even before it had started, and the first game didn’t nothing to settle that.

I’ll start the ball rolling. As many know, I was quite vocal at the start of the season and confess to jumping all over people who thought we were going to be relegated before the season had even started. Just before Gareth went, I was very nervous that I was going to have to eat my words because we were all over the place – 6 in a row and I decided I was wrong - League 1 was beckoning.
The game that turned my opinion and made me think we could do it, was the away win to Blackburn. We had been shocking in January and I don’t recall us ever winning up there despite supporting the Rrrr’s for almost 50 years. After that, we seemed to stop conceding from set pieces and defending better and apart from having a minor wobble after Easter was relatively sure we would survive.

So come on, cleanse your souls and lets hear your thoughts and emotions over the season and did your opinion on the outcome change.

The LFW Confession Box on 21:01 - Apr 28 with 2630 viewsstainrods_elbow

During Ainsworth's tenure, and at times while Marti was still bedding in, most people here (myself included) felt the playing squad was not fit for purpose and said so vociferously, with sprinklings of expletives of varying numbers and colours. It turns out, joyously, that reactionary thesis was completely wrong, and a good coach is more important than, seemingly, we all thought. Now the same people (myself included) are saying the Leeds game was our best performance for anything up to a decade.

Once we found a good coach, despite having some issues at times, I felt the turnaround in our form, especially defensively, and after the new recruits came in, would probably end well, and it did. (See also my poll from a few weeks back, which I think closed at around 70% saying we'd stay up.)
[Post edited 28 Apr 21:02]

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

The LFW Confession Box on 21:13 - Apr 28 with 2617 viewsWatfordR

I'll tell you this. Watching Gazball nearly finished me with this club. 51 years being part of my soul, and I got to the stage that I was embarrassed and depressed coming to watch them. Only reason I kept with it was to have some time catching up with my son that I wouldn't have otherwise had.

So for those of you who think I'm a bit hard on jolly old Gaz, in a year where I have the shock of my second marriage break up from nowhere, and the not quite so unexpected death of my mum, if he'd lost me my love for this lot, it wouldn't be his sodding wellbeing that would have been my primary concern.
The LFW Confession Box on 21:21 - Apr 28 with 2567 viewsTonto

We never stood a chance with Ainsworth. It was the wrong appointment, a league 1 manager amd he nearly took us to league 1.

There were times under Marti I doubted he could do it. Was it our 5th or 6th game that if we won we would have got out of the bottom 3? I thought we just didn't have the balls. The tuning point for me was Leicester away. That's where hope turned to genuine belief.

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

The LFW Confession Box on 21:22 - Apr 28 with 2569 viewsloftboy

I said we were down when we lost to stoke

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

The LFW Confession Box on 21:35 - Apr 28 with 2507 viewsManinBlack

The constant home defeats and inability to score convinced me we were going down. It wasn't until January that I thought we had any chance. It seemed like a failure to score second half goals in front of the Loft was never ending and no point staying after half time. Delighted we survived but mindful we need to get goals onto this team next season otherwise more misery will ensue.
The LFW Confession Box on 21:36 - Apr 28 with 2493 viewsParkRoyalR

The LFW Confession Box on 21:22 - Apr 28 by loftboy

I said we were down when we lost to stoke

Season had 3 parts...

Part 1 Ainsworth
Part 2 Marti + key players return from injury
Part 3 Post transfer window

Only Ainsworth thought we'd stay up in 1st Part,

I was confident after Willock returned so impressively at Preston away, even more confident when we offloaded Dozzell and it helped when Frey became unavailable during run-in meaning Marti had to stop over-rotating our front-line.
The LFW Confession Box on 21:45 - Apr 28 with 2469 viewsMrSheen

Sinclair‘s shot saved brilliantly by Watford’s goalkeeper in the 96th minute. I thought, “we’re better organised, passing it around, but we’re still getting nothing. All the air is out of the new manager bounce. We’re doomed”.

Then a combination of a generous Millwall side, Kenny’s late equaliser at the very end of a stinker against Huddersfield, Nourry finding buried treasure to fund new signings and perhaps even a lucky scarf…it’s not been upwards and onwards, but we have reached targets that looked utterly improbable since then.
The LFW Confession Box on 21:57 - Apr 28 with 2413 viewsnix

I'd given up hope in January when we'd had that seven match winless run and were seven points from safety and had only scored 21 goals with twenty matches left to play. I just couldn't see us pulling it round.

It was the Millwall match, as Mr Sheen says that started us rallying but I didn't really begin to hope until the WBA game which we played so well in, even though we only drew, that I thought we had a chance. Plus the fans got so behind the team that day that it felt like we could help pull them back up.
Login to get fewer ads

The LFW Confession Box on 21:59 - Apr 28 with 2402 viewscaptainmycaptian

Well I know you.shouldnt bet against your own club but after the Watford debacle I had money on relegation. They were awful and could.not watch much of the GA tenure. They were league 1 and worse at that point. Some times it's not the management but this clearly was. Had he stayed we were down. The Norwich game for me 2-2 took the lead came back from 1-2 down against a.very decent side. Also went looking for the winner. Green shoots of what was to come. They started to look like a team and a QPR team. Well drilled and playing decent stuff. Now they look confident and calm on the ball. Players have grown under MC's management this is a very positive sign. I think next season should be a vast improvement.
The LFW Confession Box on 22:07 - Apr 28 with 2372 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

Didn't bother renewing my season ticket due to Ainsworth being in charge. Completely wrong appointment and completely out of his depth. And the football was embarrassing.

Thought we'd be relegated. Then MC turns up, but I still thought we'd go, simply because of the gap. He is a miracle worker.

I'll be renewing this season again.
The LFW Confession Box on 22:23 - Apr 28 with 2315 viewslightwaterhoop

The home game against West Brom changed it around for me.We just did'nt look like a team that was going down.
The LFW Confession Box on 22:24 - Apr 28 with 2311 viewsLanhoop

When they unloaded Dozzell I started to think we could stay up. It’s been years since a player annoyed me as much as him.
The LFW Confession Box on 22:31 - Apr 28 with 2259 viewsstevec

Thought we needed to go down last season, thought we would go down this season.

8th Jan 2024 was the day I thought we’d turned a corner though never dreamt the transformation would be quick enough to keep us up this season.
The LFW Confession Box on 22:34 - Apr 28 with 2237 viewsHoopsie

- thought we wouldn’t be relegated before the season began despite being odds on favourite

- thought the players were ok and not league one standard many claimed, just needed to be coached well and tactics instilled

However, could only justify the above two points by prayer or a miracle in waiting…….

And then we have Marti…….😃
[Post edited 28 Apr 22:35]

Poll: Who will follow Rotherham and Huddersfield to League One?

The LFW Confession Box on 22:37 - Apr 28 with 2203 viewsChrisNW6

Never thought we would get relegated all season and knew we would improve once key players were fit. Even under Ainsworth, I could see we could compete after good performances in the West Brom and Leicester defeats. Sadly it was obvious we needed another manager and Marti has performed miracles from day one.

I thought top half but we just fell short.
The LFW Confession Box on 22:50 - Apr 28 with 2171 viewsLogman

I don't like to put the blame on GA as I thought he was thrown to the lions when asked to prepare for the season with the likes of Gubbins, Drewe, Pedder, Duke-McKenna and Kargbo and I think we would have gone down under MC if we had continued with what we had before the end of the January window, even if Cook and Colback were signed under GA.

The moment I thought we might stay up was not until quite late - when we beat Leicester and Swansea over Easter.

I think that's around about the time that we got out of the bottom three and I felt that the belief would see us through then.
The LFW Confession Box on 22:55 - Apr 28 with 2157 viewsMrSheen

The LFW Confession Box on 21:45 - Apr 28 by MrSheen

Sinclair‘s shot saved brilliantly by Watford’s goalkeeper in the 96th minute. I thought, “we’re better organised, passing it around, but we’re still getting nothing. All the air is out of the new manager bounce. We’re doomed”.

Then a combination of a generous Millwall side, Kenny’s late equaliser at the very end of a stinker against Huddersfield, Nourry finding buried treasure to fund new signings and perhaps even a lucky scarf…it’s not been upwards and onwards, but we have reached targets that looked utterly improbable since then.

Just to reinforce the final point, we were on 21 points after 27 games then. We’ve got 32 in 18 since, which is better than WDD every three games since. I had no confidence that could happen.
The LFW Confession Box on 22:58 - Apr 28 with 2144 viewsDamo1962

Thought it was 50 - 50 up until Friday night. But I am notoriously hard to please 😉
The LFW Confession Box on 23:22 - Apr 28 with 2077 viewskensalriser

Never really bought into this team being L1 standard when largely the same team was able to top the table after 16 games last season, although the squad was dangerously threadbare in August.

Thought we had a good chance of staying up six games into Marti's appointment when it was already clear he'd brought huge improvements.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

The LFW Confession Box on 23:41 - Apr 28 with 2035 viewsMancR

The Stoke performance was so bad, didn't think we could stay up after that. Turned out to be a blip, along with Sheff Wed game
The LFW Confession Box on 23:55 - Apr 28 with 2013 viewsParkRoyalR

The LFW Confession Box on 23:41 - Apr 28 by MancR

The Stoke performance was so bad, didn't think we could stay up after that. Turned out to be a blip, along with Sheff Wed game

Could be wrong but thought Marti over'rotated with his lone striker for those two key games which was why I was relieved when Frey pulled up lame for the run-in.

A settled team was crucial for the run-in, be it defence, midfield or attack and I thought Dykes would be an important part of that as he was last season,

Though I underestimated just how important Colback was to our midfield by opening up both sides of the pitch and playing on the half-turn (right call there Gazza)
The LFW Confession Box on 00:13 - Apr 29 with 2005 viewsted_hendrix

''“Bless me, LFW Confession Box for I have sinned,”''

1) On the 5th August 2023 I used naughty words at about 5.00PM.
2) On the 19th August 2023 I used even naughtier words at about 5.00PM.
3) On the 7th October 2023 at about 4.53PM I went completely berserk and let the air out of my wheelbarrow tyre.
4) On the 28th November 2023 just after 10.00PM I changed my religion to Buddhism and reflected on the virtue and positivity of others and ourselves, and the good results arising from positive karmas.
5) On the 23rd December 2023 at around 6.00PM and after much soul searching I knocked Buddhism 'on the head'
6) On the 10th February 2024 a little bit after 5.15PM I fell In love with Mrs Bling the local watch repair Woman.
7) On the 9th March 2024 In the early evening I suddenly went Insane and went blackberry picking returning home just after 9.00PM completely fruitless.
8) On the 29th March 2024 between the hours of 3.00PM and 4.58PM I hurled really naughty profanities In the general direction of certain Birmingham City players.
9) On the 13th April just before tea time I gave In with my football club, I went outside and stole a donkey and went for a soothing trot in the Oxfordshire countryside to calm down. I returned the donkey to It's stable and I had a fish supper.
10) Late on the evening of the 26th April 2024 I suddenly witnessed a state of Nirvana and I have now completed my enlightenment.

Anyway that's It, bit busy at the moment I'll do a bit of penance after the Coventry game.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

The LFW Confession Box on 01:13 - Apr 29 with 1962 viewsdavman

Great thread.

The team that finished last season was well on its way to being THE worst team the Championship had ever seen and it managed to get worse over the summer.

I have never been so certain that squad with that manager were going to break all sorts of records in this league. I did not think we'd get to thirty goals and certainly weren't going to get to thirty points. It was awful, awful, awful.

When I stopped going to games KNOWING we'd lose, which was when we started to compete was when I thought we've a chance. Watford (h) was the point for me. Even though we lost, it was only because of two worldies from a carthorse and two great saves from their 'keeper. Part of me thought that it would be typical to start getting unlucky when we started to play, but the logical part could see the improvement.

But it swung back and forth. Plymouth (a) was a low point because after the Easter weekend I thought we were home and hosed. Begavic's aberration felt terminal as did the results the following weekend.

I view this season as a really lucky escape and just hope for mid table obscurity next season. Compete in every game and let's not embarrass ourselves just like we did under Ainsworth.

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

The LFW Confession Box on 01:27 - Apr 29 with 1954 viewsBoston

The LFW Confession Box on 00:13 - Apr 29 by ted_hendrix

''“Bless me, LFW Confession Box for I have sinned,”''

1) On the 5th August 2023 I used naughty words at about 5.00PM.
2) On the 19th August 2023 I used even naughtier words at about 5.00PM.
3) On the 7th October 2023 at about 4.53PM I went completely berserk and let the air out of my wheelbarrow tyre.
4) On the 28th November 2023 just after 10.00PM I changed my religion to Buddhism and reflected on the virtue and positivity of others and ourselves, and the good results arising from positive karmas.
5) On the 23rd December 2023 at around 6.00PM and after much soul searching I knocked Buddhism 'on the head'
6) On the 10th February 2024 a little bit after 5.15PM I fell In love with Mrs Bling the local watch repair Woman.
7) On the 9th March 2024 In the early evening I suddenly went Insane and went blackberry picking returning home just after 9.00PM completely fruitless.
8) On the 29th March 2024 between the hours of 3.00PM and 4.58PM I hurled really naughty profanities In the general direction of certain Birmingham City players.
9) On the 13th April just before tea time I gave In with my football club, I went outside and stole a donkey and went for a soothing trot in the Oxfordshire countryside to calm down. I returned the donkey to It's stable and I had a fish supper.
10) Late on the evening of the 26th April 2024 I suddenly witnessed a state of Nirvana and I have now completed my enlightenment.

Anyway that's It, bit busy at the moment I'll do a bit of penance after the Coventry game.

Must admit being taken aback by the wheelbarrow reference Ted, we spell it tire over 'ere.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

The LFW Confession Box on 01:50 - Apr 29 with 1937 viewsSydneyRs

Was certain we were down under GA and I think that was perfectly fair. A Rotherham style season was in store.

Once Marti came in you could see the improvement but wasn't sure it would be enough given how far adrift we were. Always thought if we could get within a couple of points of safety we'd be a chance.

Winning at Leicester raised my belief and the standard of performance became more consistent even when we didn't win. Aside from the recent Hull game, we haven't had a proper beating in ages.

Sheffield Wednesday also improving kept the doubts though, as I'd assumed we'd leave them behind with Rotherham if we picked up a few points.

For the last couple of months I've believed we could do it but everyone else seemed to be picking up points just when we didn't want them to. After going 6 points clear a few weeks ago I thought we were good, but we quickly got sucked back in and the doubts returned.

Preston was the key game. We absolutely had to win that or we'd have been in trouble. Had we lost I very much doubt we'd have had the confidence to produce that Leeds performance. Going to Cov needing a win was not the scenario I wanted to see (difficult game plus memories of 96) and thankfully we've avoided that.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024