Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
2022-23 squad 10:13 - May 2 with 5354 viewsdannyblue

It's going to be a busy summer again. Can't imagine any of those out of contract will re-sign in current circumstances. I believe that leaves us with:

GK: Dieng Archer Walsh Mahoney
RB: Kakay
CB: Dickie Dunne Masterson DeWijs (surely won't return)
LB:
CM: Field Johansson Amos Dozell
AM: Chair Willock Thomas
CF: Dykes Bonne Kelman
[Post edited 6 May 2022 13:51]
2022-23 squad on 11:04 - May 2 with 4491 viewsMedwayR

Pretty much how I see the squad for next year as things stand. A decent core of young players for the next manager to build on though. The focus has to be a proven striker (not easy) and full backs. I wouldn't be surprised to see Armstrong, Duke-McKenna & Bettache involved and Bonne moved on, maybe Kelman too. A pacy winger would be a bonus.
[Post edited 2 May 2022 11:05]

Poll: Who’s better?

2022-23 squad on 11:33 - May 2 with 4400 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Two players interest me - what will Johansen be like after a summer of rest/ And will Armstrong step up?

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

2022-23 squad on 11:52 - May 2 with 4348 viewsdmm

With one or two of the OPs list sold and one or two not wanted on the squad, I think we're in for a big intake of playing staff. And that's not even factoring in the new manager's plans.
2022-23 squad on 13:18 - May 2 with 4216 viewsbosh67

2022-23 squad on 11:33 - May 2 by BrianMcCarthy

Two players interest me - what will Johansen be like after a summer of rest/ And will Armstrong step up?

A fit Johansen is still a very good player. Hopefully Amos and Field give him some protection to do more next season. I still think Ball has a part to play. Perhaps new management will give him more of a role. He has the right mentality. Armstrong is the wild card. Could be another BOS, could be another Les, could be not as good as we think. Could be the next Clive Allen (that one just for Clive) :) Someone I know who has seen him a few times describes him as Bambi on ice. He is all over the place, gangly, awkward, seemingly unbalanced on the run and yet very effective. Mainly because the opposition has no idea what he is up to and perhaps he has no idea either?

Who knows with Kelman. I was hoping he would shine more on his loans but so far he hasn't. I think Bettache is a player. I think Duke-McKenna is a player. I would hope to see both feature for us next season.

Pace is going to be critical throughout the team next season. Wide pace will be critical, defensive pace will be critical and one forward who can out pace defences as well. I suspect this will come from a lot of scouting from lower leagues.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

2022-23 squad on 13:29 - May 2 with 4179 viewsGaryBannisterswedge

If the spine of the team remains as Dieng, Dunne, Field, Amos, Chair and Willock then that ain’t too shabby, WBs and CFs the urgent priority
2022-23 squad on 13:47 - May 2 with 4133 viewsLazyFan

The following is all guesswork but ...

I think sending DeWijs on loan was a mistake. As we conceded from many set-pieces after he went out on loan. Een when he did not play he pushed the others to defend better. I am guessing that Warbs pushed him out and the wages saved there were spent on Sanderson who did not work out. I had high hopes we would test out Sanderson and sign him in the summer, but he's proved to be decent at marking and blocking, but terrible at heading and tackling. Shame that.

Warbs loans were expensive (Hendricks, Gray, Sanderson, McCallum) and only McCallum was half decent, Gray was effective but really did not suit our style of play. Hendricks clearly was a signing for the sake of it and a complete waste of our time. We should have played Bettache instead, at least this way he would have got proper game time in a team that he can develop with. Or let Thomas have more games. Hendrick was a crazy loan signing.

As a result I suspect we shall have to sell and Dieng will be the one to go, the squad will look like this:

GK: Archer Walsh
CB: Dickie Dunne Masterson DeWijs
LB:

As stated many times before we need two LB's. What alarmed me over the last few games is that McCallum got done for pace many times. This revelation to me means we should not sign him permanently, not that we can anyway, as Norwich will want £3m for him.

I think we all know we need to resign Barbs so, we hope that happens. Bonne probably needs to be sold as well, as we suspect this is not the club for him. It will probably be at a loss, but best to cut the losses now and get something which we can reinvest. I suspect Uncle will come cheap and we shall resign him as he does provide quite a few assists.

Therefore with the Dieng money, we need 1 replacement GK, 1 RB, 2 LB's, 1 pacy winger and 1 CF as Dykes is never fit and there is Chaz to replace.

So, even after that, the squad looks like so:

GK: <NEW PLAYER> Archer Walsh
RB: <NEW PLAYER> Kakay
CB: Dickie Dunne Barbs, DeWijs Masterson
LB: <NEW PLAYER> <NEW PLAYER>
AM: Chair Willock Thomas Uncle <NEW PLAYER>
CF: Dykes Kelman <NEW PLAYER>

6 players are quite a lot.
But if we do it right, then the club can be in the top half next season. And if you are in the top half you can challenge for the playoffs.

I prefer in my head to sell Dieng instead of either than Willock, Chair or Dickie. And we will have to sell someone.

zzzzzzzzzz

2022-23 squad on 14:04 - May 2 with 4078 viewssilverbirch

2022-23 squad on 13:47 - May 2 by LazyFan

The following is all guesswork but ...

I think sending DeWijs on loan was a mistake. As we conceded from many set-pieces after he went out on loan. Een when he did not play he pushed the others to defend better. I am guessing that Warbs pushed him out and the wages saved there were spent on Sanderson who did not work out. I had high hopes we would test out Sanderson and sign him in the summer, but he's proved to be decent at marking and blocking, but terrible at heading and tackling. Shame that.

Warbs loans were expensive (Hendricks, Gray, Sanderson, McCallum) and only McCallum was half decent, Gray was effective but really did not suit our style of play. Hendricks clearly was a signing for the sake of it and a complete waste of our time. We should have played Bettache instead, at least this way he would have got proper game time in a team that he can develop with. Or let Thomas have more games. Hendrick was a crazy loan signing.

As a result I suspect we shall have to sell and Dieng will be the one to go, the squad will look like this:

GK: Archer Walsh
CB: Dickie Dunne Masterson DeWijs
LB:

As stated many times before we need two LB's. What alarmed me over the last few games is that McCallum got done for pace many times. This revelation to me means we should not sign him permanently, not that we can anyway, as Norwich will want £3m for him.

I think we all know we need to resign Barbs so, we hope that happens. Bonne probably needs to be sold as well, as we suspect this is not the club for him. It will probably be at a loss, but best to cut the losses now and get something which we can reinvest. I suspect Uncle will come cheap and we shall resign him as he does provide quite a few assists.

Therefore with the Dieng money, we need 1 replacement GK, 1 RB, 2 LB's, 1 pacy winger and 1 CF as Dykes is never fit and there is Chaz to replace.

So, even after that, the squad looks like so:

GK: <NEW PLAYER> Archer Walsh
RB: <NEW PLAYER> Kakay
CB: Dickie Dunne Barbs, DeWijs Masterson
LB: <NEW PLAYER> <NEW PLAYER>
AM: Chair Willock Thomas Uncle <NEW PLAYER>
CF: Dykes Kelman <NEW PLAYER>

6 players are quite a lot.
But if we do it right, then the club can be in the top half next season. And if you are in the top half you can challenge for the playoffs.

I prefer in my head to sell Dieng instead of either than Willock, Chair or Dickie. And we will have to sell someone.

Was johansson already carrying his injury when we signed Hendricks? Either way, he wasn’t the player he was the previous season, and in January we were winning but not playing brilliantly. Maybe MW saw the need to improve the midfield and control games more and Hendricks looked a good fit, replacing or as well as johansson.
2022-23 squad on 14:13 - May 2 with 4038 viewsLazyFan

2022-23 squad on 14:04 - May 2 by silverbirch

Was johansson already carrying his injury when we signed Hendricks? Either way, he wasn’t the player he was the previous season, and in January we were winning but not playing brilliantly. Maybe MW saw the need to improve the midfield and control games more and Hendricks looked a good fit, replacing or as well as johansson.

We needed pace, ideally a winger to replace either Chair or Willock if they got injured. And one of them did. Even Warbs said we needed to play in behind the oppo more.

JoJo on form is useful as he drops in behind the oppos midfield and sometimes their defence, these runs stretch them and create space. Hendricks could have done that, but we found out that's not his game and he does not do that and has no pace.

Whats the difference between him and Bettache? Well Bettache is no better but at least he's ours and young and can develop. Hendricks wages would not have been cheap, it prevented us from getting a player we would have really found useful even on loan and he added zero to our campaign. The loans cost us as the injuries and form drop happened. This time Warbs got unlucky and had bad loans.

zzzzzzzzzz

Login to get fewer ads

2022-23 squad on 15:24 - May 2 with 3903 viewscorse

Jebus. That looks thin on every part. Defence,midfield and forwards. Going into next season with the formidiable front of one hair and tattoo model, one jaffa cake and one league two bench warmer is a nailed on relegation.
2022-23 squad on 15:35 - May 2 with 3881 viewsbaz_qpr

I think there are strong rumours Dickie to Wet Spam was done already (£8m) and I think he might be the one that goes rather than Dieng or Willock. Les seemed to suggest in "that" interview that the plan was to keep as much of the team together as possible. Fingers crossed we can hold on to Barbet too. I would also re-sign Ball. I think Armstrong will emerge this year. We will probably pick up a couple of Prem under 23's hopefully in the positions we need mainly

Full Back / Wing Back, Wingers and Centre Forward.

I suspect the whole De Wijs, Sanderson thing may have been a try before you buy knowing Dickie could play in the middle of the 3 if needed.
2022-23 squad on 15:49 - May 2 with 3840 viewsMrSheen

2022-23 squad on 15:35 - May 2 by baz_qpr

I think there are strong rumours Dickie to Wet Spam was done already (£8m) and I think he might be the one that goes rather than Dieng or Willock. Les seemed to suggest in "that" interview that the plan was to keep as much of the team together as possible. Fingers crossed we can hold on to Barbet too. I would also re-sign Ball. I think Armstrong will emerge this year. We will probably pick up a couple of Prem under 23's hopefully in the positions we need mainly

I suspect the whole De Wijs, Sanderson thing may have been a try before you buy knowing Dickie could play in the middle of the 3 if needed.

Dickie’s lone walk on Friday seemed to indicate he was off.
2022-23 squad on 15:52 - May 2 with 3833 viewsfrancisbowles

2022-23 squad on 15:35 - May 2 by baz_qpr

Dickie walked quickly around the pitch on his own after the game the other night, waving to the crowd as he did so. That combined with the rumour which I also heard but at £9 million, I think he may be on his way. I doubt the fee will be anything like that though, maybe about half of it.

I think we should give Moses another year, quick, cheap and versatile. There may be a limit to the number of suitable replacements we can find.

I think we need a big unit in midfield. We have been overrun and outmuscled there recently. This division has plenty of teams that can do that to us. Brendan Rodgers was quoted as saying Leicester lack aggression and you can't coach it. I think we are in the same situation.
2022-23 squad on 15:55 - May 2 with 3807 viewsdanehoop

2022-23 squad on 15:52 - May 2 by francisbowles

Dickie walked quickly around the pitch on his own after the game the other night, waving to the crowd as he did so. That combined with the rumour which I also heard but at £9 million, I think he may be on his way. I doubt the fee will be anything like that though, maybe about half of it.

I think we should give Moses another year, quick, cheap and versatile. There may be a limit to the number of suitable replacements we can find.

I think we need a big unit in midfield. We have been overrun and outmuscled there recently. This division has plenty of teams that can do that to us. Brendan Rodgers was quoted as saying Leicester lack aggression and you can't coach it. I think we are in the same situation.

Agree with you on Moses, basically can we find better for less money? Probably not, but at the same time he does seem a bit cursed with injuries and niggles... that said, so did a lot of the senior squad by March.

Never knowingly understood

2022-23 squad on 16:03 - May 2 with 3777 viewsfrancisbowles

2022-23 squad on 15:55 - May 2 by danehoop

Agree with you on Moses, basically can we find better for less money? Probably not, but at the same time he does seem a bit cursed with injuries and niggles... that said, so did a lot of the senior squad by March.

Moses was in our 18 on 32 occasions, started 23 and subbed in 5.
He also was in the starting eleven for three and subbed in twice in our six cup matches.

So altogether he missed, injured or not selected 15 out of 50 matches or 30%. Not too bad for a player seen as cover.
2022-23 squad on 16:21 - May 2 with 3709 viewsLazyFan

I agree Dickie may go instead, that's a good point. £8m is defo good business, not great, but good for all parties. Might be able to get loan back as well.

I heard rumours the other CB we left behind at Oxford has been doing as well as Dickie did. Then there is Michał Helik from Barnsley who despite them getting relegated was getting top scores every week, he's in the last year of his contract, he could be useful.

Silly me forgot about Moses, I think the club will defo try to resign him and as he's injured it will probably happen. Unless Warbs get a new job quickly, nips in and takes Barbet and Moses off us. This is also a risk.

If we add Moses to my list then we don't need another RB. So, that's only 5 to sign, which is better. Still ned two LB though :

zzzzzzzzzz

2022-23 squad on 16:24 - May 2 with 3705 viewsdistortR

2022-23 squad on 11:52 - May 2 by dmm

With one or two of the OPs list sold and one or two not wanted on the squad, I think we're in for a big intake of playing staff. And that's not even factoring in the new manager's plans.

to save money, we're going to be an autonomous worker's collective, with decisions made by the workers for the workers and no despot trying to force his ego on them.

see you in division 1
2022-23 squad on 16:31 - May 2 with 3682 viewsdistortR

2022-23 squad on 13:18 - May 2 by bosh67

A fit Johansen is still a very good player. Hopefully Amos and Field give him some protection to do more next season. I still think Ball has a part to play. Perhaps new management will give him more of a role. He has the right mentality. Armstrong is the wild card. Could be another BOS, could be another Les, could be not as good as we think. Could be the next Clive Allen (that one just for Clive) :) Someone I know who has seen him a few times describes him as Bambi on ice. He is all over the place, gangly, awkward, seemingly unbalanced on the run and yet very effective. Mainly because the opposition has no idea what he is up to and perhaps he has no idea either?

Who knows with Kelman. I was hoping he would shine more on his loans but so far he hasn't. I think Bettache is a player. I think Duke-McKenna is a player. I would hope to see both feature for us next season.

Pace is going to be critical throughout the team next season. Wide pace will be critical, defensive pace will be critical and one forward who can out pace defences as well. I suspect this will come from a lot of scouting from lower leagues.

Bosh - your mate describes Armstrong as 'like Bambi on ice'.
Now, is that ice, as in a skating rink, or ice, as in crystal meths. Quite a difference in the two, i think you'll agree.
2022-23 squad on 17:12 - May 2 with 3609 viewsPunteR

2022-23 squad on 15:49 - May 2 by MrSheen

That's what I thought too.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

2022-23 squad on 17:46 - May 2 with 3518 viewsPinnerPaul

£8M - blimey - would have some of that - can't see it myself.
2022-23 squad on 17:48 - May 2 with 3502 viewsPinnerPaul

2022-23 squad on 16:21 - May 2 by LazyFan

I agree Dickie may go instead, that's a good point. £8m is defo good business, not great, but good for all parties. Might be able to get loan back as well.

I heard rumours the other CB we left behind at Oxford has been doing as well as Dickie did. Then there is Michał Helik from Barnsley who despite them getting relegated was getting top scores every week, he's in the last year of his contract, he could be useful.

Silly me forgot about Moses, I think the club will defo try to resign him and as he's injured it will probably happen. Unless Warbs get a new job quickly, nips in and takes Barbet and Moses off us. This is also a risk.

If we add Moses to my list then we don't need another RB. So, that's only 5 to sign, which is better. Still ned two LB though :

You don't think £8M is great?

Considering he is a) injured b) quite slow and c) hasn't really played well for the last 4 months we saw him, I think £8M is superb!
2022-23 squad on 22:31 - May 2 with 3237 viewsdaveB

I think Dickie seemed to think the rest of the squad were coming with him but waited by the tunnel and as he'd started he just carried on.
2022-23 squad on 00:24 - May 3 with 3112 viewsMatch82

2022-23 squad on 13:29 - May 2 by GaryBannisterswedge

If the spine of the team remains as Dieng, Dunne, Field, Amos, Chair and Willock then that ain’t too shabby, WBs and CFs the urgent priority

Agreed. I look at that list and it feels like we are (still) just a couple of fullbacks and a striker away from a strong first team that could push for the playoffs. But getting those players right is essential, and we need depth
2022-23 squad on 06:02 - May 3 with 2986 viewsnadera78

On the assumption that we need to sell someone this summer then I'd quite happily take £8m for Dickie - if that's a true figure and it means we keep the rest of our core players. For a PL club that isn't a huge sum at all, in fact it's fairly standard for a young English player stepping up from the Championship.

I know Clive's referred to Dickie as 'Shy Rob' on a couple of occasions and, whilst I've never met him, watching from a distance it does seem to fit. If I'm honest, I also suspect he's a little bit soft for a top-level footballer, a bit of the Matthew Connolly's about him - nice lad, nice player, not dominant enough.

Also, serviceable Championship CBs are easier to find than the kind of attacking talent we'd need to recruit to replace any of the other possible transferees. Mawson's out of contract, for example, and we were looking at him in January. Willock and Chair, even Dieng and Field, by nature of their skillsets, are much harder to replace.
2022-23 squad on 08:15 - May 3 with 2818 viewsdistortR

2022-23 squad on 17:48 - May 2 by PinnerPaul

You don't think £8M is great?

Considering he is a) injured b) quite slow and c) hasn't really played well for the last 4 months we saw him, I think £8M is superb!

while Dickie's second half of his season wasn't as good as his first, I would argue his defending has been of a high standard throughout.
2022-23 squad on 08:54 - May 3 with 2721 viewsstevec

2022-23 squad on 08:15 - May 3 by distortR

while Dickie's second half of his season wasn't as good as his first, I would argue his defending has been of a high standard throughout.

Dickie is a very good player and quiet doesn’t mean soft, he tackles hard and clever with it.

I’m not sure we need to sell yet. We’re losing a number of potential high salaries through out of contract, there’s going to be a lot of good players available who have run out of contract elsewhere.

It’s up to the DOF to get the best in. Wallace and Diaz, both out there on frees, not suggesting we could get Diaz but there are players out there. Quite honestly, we should at least be able to improve our full back positions.

All eyes on Sir Les this summer.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024