Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Fell over last night 19:59 - Mar 2 with 5354 viewsloftboy

Getting into the car, got my foot caught under the car and between a kerb as I fell back, ended up in A+E and am now on crutches and wearing a protective boot with a severe ligament damage, was X-rayed for a break but got lucky. Ankle is now twice the size of the other one, have a dead leg on the other side and popping pain killers like smarties, anyone got any tips to heal it quicker?

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Fell over last night on 20:02 - Mar 2 with 3199 viewsqprxtc

Chop it off? Or copious amounts of alcohol.

Hope it heals quickly.
Fell over last night on 20:19 - Mar 2 with 3133 viewsstowmarketrange

No tips from me unfortunately but I’ve had a trapped nerve in my neck for the last 5 weeks,and at times I’ve been in agony with it.The only cure was alcohol and painkillers when I sobered up.
I went to see an osteopath and got some treatment from her,but it still hasn’t gone yet,but it’s nowhere near as painful as it was.
I even bought a tens machine but I used it once and it seemed to make it worse.A hot water bottle on the affected right arm at night seems to have broken the back of it for now.
Good luck with it mate and take it easy for a while.
Fell over last night on 20:29 - Mar 2 with 3077 views2Thomas2Bowles

Sorry to hear that Loftboy, no advice but hope you heal soon.

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Fell over last night on 20:59 - Mar 2 with 2986 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Hard luck, Loftboy.

RICE is the best thing for recovery -

Rest, - stay off it
Ice - 20 minutes wrapped in a towel every couple of waking ours
Compression - bandage not too tight, avoid the temptation to take it off and wiggle it to see if it's healing. You'll only delay recovery
Elevation - above the level of your heart as much as possible, pillows under it at night-time.

Drink lots of water and get lots of sleep.

Best of luck!

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Fell over last night on 21:06 - Mar 2 with 2949 viewsToast_R

Didnt Felix Magath prescribe quark cheese?
Or Robin Van Persie's placenta massage?
Fell over last night on 21:08 - Mar 2 with 2945 viewsJimmyR

Elevation, ice and keep the boot on

I just asked my Mrs who is physio
Fell over last night on 21:56 - Mar 2 with 2802 viewsLythamR

Fell over last night on 21:08 - Mar 2 by JimmyR

Elevation, ice and keep the boot on

I just asked my Mrs who is physio

Commiserations

I asked my old mum, she said a bit of ointment preferably Germoline, but she would have given the same recommendation to Charles the 1st so ...
Fell over last night on 23:06 - Mar 2 with 2653 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

No medical advice i'm afraid, but in terms of problems with your employer you should join a Union. If i'm right in thinking you're a bike courier try https://iwgb.org.uk

All the best and get well soon.
[Post edited 3 Mar 2020 1:37]
Login to get fewer ads

Fell over last night on 23:14 - Mar 2 with 2628 viewsMatch82

Fell over last night on 20:59 - Mar 2 by BrianMcCarthy

Hard luck, Loftboy.

RICE is the best thing for recovery -

Rest, - stay off it
Ice - 20 minutes wrapped in a towel every couple of waking ours
Compression - bandage not too tight, avoid the temptation to take it off and wiggle it to see if it's healing. You'll only delay recovery
Elevation - above the level of your heart as much as possible, pillows under it at night-time.

Drink lots of water and get lots of sleep.

Best of luck!

Rice works for dropping your phone in water too. So versatile...

Best of luck with the recovery loftboy
Fell over last night on 23:38 - Mar 2 with 2597 viewsBenny_the_Ball

That's rotten luck, loftboy. Assuming you haven't torn or ruptured the ligaments then RICE is the way forward.
Fell over last night on 23:40 - Mar 2 with 2594 viewsloftboy

Fell over last night on 23:06 - Mar 2 by BazzaInTheLoft

No medical advice i'm afraid, but in terms of problems with your employer you should join a Union. If i'm right in thinking you're a bike courier try https://iwgb.org.uk

All the best and get well soon.
[Post edited 3 Mar 2020 1:37]

Cheers, I’m in the union, I work for a supermarket delivering groceries. . Thanks for the advice everyone.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Fell over last night on 02:35 - Mar 3 with 2518 viewsB_Wad

I will add one more thing that seems missing. The RICE therapy is the way to go for quick, short term healing, but you might look into a sports injury therapist if you are feeling long term stiffness and soreness.

I had a similar problem badly spraining an ankle while running downhill on a steep dirt trail. The swelling ultimately went away and the ligaments mostly healed, but had long term soreness and lack of mobility in the ankle. I could only jog with a semi-limp. Finally found a therapist who was able to get it to all go away after a few different types of treatment. Don't give up if you want full mobility back but aren't getting quick results.
Fell over last night on 07:13 - Mar 3 with 2399 viewsKonk

Sorry to hear that, mate. Hope you're soon on the mend. I would definitely go down the physio route and be disciplined about doing whatever exercises you're given. Everyone I know whose sacked the physio off early seems to have had more long term discomfort than those who stuck with it. Hoping you have a swift recovery.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Fell over last night on 07:58 - Mar 3 with 2333 viewsWokingR

Not sure you got as lucky as you thought.
I tore my ankle ligaments when I was younger and still playing. Was told by the hospital that I would have been better off breaking it as the recovery from a clean break is quicker. 6 weeks compared to 3 months if I remember correctly.
It will also leave a weakness meaning it is prone to happening again.
Sorry mate.
On the plus side though, it will look sensational as the bruising and internal bleeding comes out over the next day or two.
Fell over last night on 08:40 - Mar 3 with 2282 viewsqprxtc

Fell over last night on 02:35 - Mar 3 by B_Wad

I will add one more thing that seems missing. The RICE therapy is the way to go for quick, short term healing, but you might look into a sports injury therapist if you are feeling long term stiffness and soreness.

I had a similar problem badly spraining an ankle while running downhill on a steep dirt trail. The swelling ultimately went away and the ligaments mostly healed, but had long term soreness and lack of mobility in the ankle. I could only jog with a semi-limp. Finally found a therapist who was able to get it to all go away after a few different types of treatment. Don't give up if you want full mobility back but aren't getting quick results.

I was wondering what Brian knew about Rice and it's ability to heal damaged ligaments, couldn't work it out. The penny has now clanged.

I popped a ligament one time playing football, went to West Middlesex Hospital where i was treated by the most gorgeous woman Doctor I've ever seen. Irish and absolutely stunning. And her hands were all over my leg. It was quite embarrassing!!

Hobbled around for a couple of weeks with a stick, got into the disabled section at Rangers. We beat Man City 1-0 August 1995.
Fell over last night on 09:12 - Mar 3 with 2207 viewsMytch_QPR

Mate,
Hope you get on the mend soon. I'm sending you - free of charge - a copy of Joel Lynch's book 'Rest & Recovery The Easy Way'. In this book, Joel describes some of the serious injuries he sustained during his career and the methods undertaken to recover quickly and return to first team action. These include:
Slipping on a golf ball (fixed by a fortnight in Dubai), a sore thumb caused by a games console (fixed by a fortnight in Dubai) and a sprained ankle sustained whilst exiting his Range Rover (fixed by a fortnight in Dubai).

As others have said, Ice, ice baby.

"Thank you for supporting Queens Park Rangers Steep Staircase"... and I thought I'd signed up for a rollercoaster.
Poll: Next temporary manager (the wheel of misfortune) - as requested by 18 Stone

Fell over last night on 09:16 - Mar 3 with 2198 viewsstowmarketrange

Fell over last night on 09:12 - Mar 3 by Mytch_QPR

Mate,
Hope you get on the mend soon. I'm sending you - free of charge - a copy of Joel Lynch's book 'Rest & Recovery The Easy Way'. In this book, Joel describes some of the serious injuries he sustained during his career and the methods undertaken to recover quickly and return to first team action. These include:
Slipping on a golf ball (fixed by a fortnight in Dubai), a sore thumb caused by a games console (fixed by a fortnight in Dubai) and a sprained ankle sustained whilst exiting his Range Rover (fixed by a fortnight in Dubai).

I thought that only happened at Christmas?
Fell over last night on 09:26 - Mar 3 with 2182 viewsNorthernr

Question - at what age do you stop "falling over" and start "having a fall"?

Oh look, she's fallen over, daft cow.
Ooooh, she's had a fall, poor old dear.
Fell over last night on 09:28 - Mar 3 with 2176 viewsfrancisbowles

Good luck with the recovery, Loftboy.

What you need is points and plenty of them in the next ten games. That would lift the spirits and aid the healing process. Try not to jump up and down when the goals go in!
Fell over last night on 09:47 - Mar 3 with 2132 views2Thomas2Bowles

Fell over last night on 09:26 - Mar 3 by Northernr

Question - at what age do you stop "falling over" and start "having a fall"?

Oh look, she's fallen over, daft cow.
Ooooh, she's had a fall, poor old dear.

137 according to Gov guidelines, goes up to 140 in April.

Try to fall in a drainage ditch, die of hypothermia and decompose without anyone noticing.

Don't die in your home if you live alone, it takes years to be discovered and cleaning up the place is a drain on resources.
Thanks.

To save on funeral costs, donate the body to medical science or tell your relatives not to claim the body, it will be disposed of by coroner or council.

You're welcome
[Post edited 3 Mar 2020 10:08]

Fell over last night on 09:50 - Mar 3 with 2135 viewsMick_S

Fell over last night on 09:12 - Mar 3 by Mytch_QPR

Mate,

They won't let you watch the Flintstones in Dubai, but Abu Dhabi do.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Fell over last night on 10:34 - Mar 3 with 2070 viewsDannyPaddox

Sorry to hear about your ankle prang. I might be repeating what a few others have said but hopefully you can get some useful stuff out of this.

Most injuries have a knock-on effect. You’ll be out of action for a bit. Your muscles and fitness as a whole will weaken so as well as working on the ankle ligaments (but only once the swelling has gone down) you should generally work on all the other muscle groups above the ankle - calves, quads, glutes, core etc. Also wearing one of those boots often causes people to overcompensate in their movements leading to problems with the lower back. So the strengthening exercises won’t just be for the ankle.

That’s the bad news, the good news is in the long run, if you find yourself a decent physio, and prioritise the exercises you’ll be stronger and more supple than you ever were.I did my knee ligaments a few years ago and went through the NHS which was a brilliant experience. One of the guys that helped me was also working for Crystal Palace (I didn’t hold it against him) I seem to remember Bolaisse had done something similar at the time.

The physios often appreciate that many find it difficult to find the time and or the motivation to do the rehab programmes, to be honest a lot of the exercises can be dull and repetitive, and the emphasis can often involve geeing yourself up psychologically to get through them - motivation through setting achievable goals and also rewarding yourself can help.

You may question why you’re doing some of the exercises as the muscles involved are nowhere near your ankles but it’s all connected (as the song goes). A friend who runs Marathons ruptured her ankle ligaments recently she was given some YouTube links from the physio of her athletics club. It’s basically a set of yoga exercises you can do while still wearing the protective boot. They’ll speed up your recovery time no end. If you’re interested I can dig them out.

Don’t be overwhelmed by all the info. There’s not much you can do over the next few days but RICE. All the best, have a speedy recovery and let us know how you’re getting on. U Rs!

ps: Don’t waste money on fancy ice compresses - nothing does the job better than a bag of frozen peas ... the lower the gauge the better ie. garden better than marrowfat and don’t go near mushy.
Fell over last night on 10:56 - Mar 3 with 2035 viewstimcocking

Fell asleep with one of cats asleep on my chin last night.

Aforementioned cat was ambushed in her sleep by different rival cat, causing a panic and scramble directly across my unprotected face. I literally do look like i've been bottled and our lass has tried to stitch it up herself.

Which is disappointing.

At least i can still walk.
[Post edited 3 Mar 2020 11:03]
Fell over last night on 11:00 - Mar 3 with 2031 viewskarl

Fell over last night on 10:34 - Mar 3 by DannyPaddox

Sorry to hear about your ankle prang. I might be repeating what a few others have said but hopefully you can get some useful stuff out of this.

Most injuries have a knock-on effect. You’ll be out of action for a bit. Your muscles and fitness as a whole will weaken so as well as working on the ankle ligaments (but only once the swelling has gone down) you should generally work on all the other muscle groups above the ankle - calves, quads, glutes, core etc. Also wearing one of those boots often causes people to overcompensate in their movements leading to problems with the lower back. So the strengthening exercises won’t just be for the ankle.

That’s the bad news, the good news is in the long run, if you find yourself a decent physio, and prioritise the exercises you’ll be stronger and more supple than you ever were.I did my knee ligaments a few years ago and went through the NHS which was a brilliant experience. One of the guys that helped me was also working for Crystal Palace (I didn’t hold it against him) I seem to remember Bolaisse had done something similar at the time.

The physios often appreciate that many find it difficult to find the time and or the motivation to do the rehab programmes, to be honest a lot of the exercises can be dull and repetitive, and the emphasis can often involve geeing yourself up psychologically to get through them - motivation through setting achievable goals and also rewarding yourself can help.

You may question why you’re doing some of the exercises as the muscles involved are nowhere near your ankles but it’s all connected (as the song goes). A friend who runs Marathons ruptured her ankle ligaments recently she was given some YouTube links from the physio of her athletics club. It’s basically a set of yoga exercises you can do while still wearing the protective boot. They’ll speed up your recovery time no end. If you’re interested I can dig them out.

Don’t be overwhelmed by all the info. There’s not much you can do over the next few days but RICE. All the best, have a speedy recovery and let us know how you’re getting on. U Rs!

ps: Don’t waste money on fancy ice compresses - nothing does the job better than a bag of frozen peas ... the lower the gauge the better ie. garden better than marrowfat and don’t go near mushy.

Commiserations Loftboy, I'm now in week 7 of protective boot so know what frustration you'll be having.
I can feel my achilles has 'reconnected' and getting some strength in it but if you had the YouTube links Danny I would appreciate a look at them? I'm supposed to be getting physio appointments but had nothing yet and no ones really looked at it since I had initial ultrasound to confirm it had snapped. It is a bit odd so if there was some exercises I could do in preparation I would definitely go for that👍
Good luck Loftboy and hope your recovery goes well
Fell over last night on 11:05 - Mar 3 with 2008 views2Thomas2Bowles

Fell over last night on 10:56 - Mar 3 by timcocking

Fell asleep with one of cats asleep on my chin last night.

Aforementioned cat was ambushed in her sleep by different rival cat, causing a panic and scramble directly across my unprotected face. I literally do look like i've been bottled and our lass has tried to stitch it up herself.

Which is disappointing.

At least i can still walk.
[Post edited 3 Mar 2020 11:03]

It's not a proper scar till it's...

Just a scratch otherwise.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024