Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What Does 'Good Football' Mean 07:57 - May 11 with 4519 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

As in, does this mean attractive football or possession based football or what?

Would people turn their noses up at 'Industrial' football if it delivered us points?

Karl Robinson = Good style of football
Gareth Ainsworth = Hoofball

I've never really got my head around what it actually means...
[Post edited 11 May 2022 8:01]
What Does 'Good Football' Mean on 07:59 - May 11 with 2622 viewsNorthernr

eye of the beholder and all that - I find that Russell Martin Swansea style every bit as tedious as Pulisball.
What Does 'Good Football' Mean on 08:17 - May 11 with 2555 viewsstevec

Ball in their net, ball not in our net.
What Does 'Good Football' Mean on 08:21 - May 11 with 2556 viewsRangersw12

Attacking football played on the floor with quick passing and movement.
What Does 'Good Football' Mean on 08:23 - May 11 with 2553 viewsDannyPaddox

I veer towards good football topped off with goals in the style of Gerry against Liverpool in ‘75 and Ebere up at Stoke in 2019 but a decent team has to be able to switch styles; get stuck in and hoof it when necessary. Keep the opposition guessing.
What Does 'Good Football' Mean on 08:23 - May 11 with 2552 viewsessextaxiboy

For me its possession based short passing and movement with a pacy cutting edge . No shithousery .
What Does 'Good Football' Mean on 08:34 - May 11 with 2504 viewsTheChef

I think playing with some pace is key to exciting football (if not 'good football'?) - getting the ball wide, beating your man, crosses for the strikers. As mentioned, just passing the ball backwards and sideways to keep possession, where is the fun in that?

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

What Does 'Good Football' Mean on 08:44 - May 11 with 2452 viewscolinallcars

Bring back the W formation !
What Does 'Good Football' Mean on 08:49 - May 11 with 2434 viewspaulparker

One of the biggest cons in football
Basically it entails a new manager dressed like Jesse Marsch who tells his team to take short goal kicks whilst his defenders try and be Franz beckenbeaur
Never felt comfortable when we tried this it hardly leads to any goals just goals against or defenders and goal keepers panicking and putting the ball out for a throw
Gerry Francis& Neil Warnock their teams played good football ie played with width could defend and were good at set pieces now everyone thinks they are pep

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Login to get fewer ads

What Does 'Good Football' Mean on 08:52 - May 11 with 2431 viewsdmm

Although there will be similarities for all football supporters, I fancy the 'Good Football' term might have different meanings to fans of different clubs.

For us it usually involves a special player - you know the list. We absolutely love a maverick.
What Does 'Good Football' Mean on 09:04 - May 11 with 2391 viewsBklynRanger

It's a very good question. For me it comes down to chances I think. Which is tricky in itself because you can look at match stats sometimes and see loads of shots but still have watched a pretty dull game.

So something the along the lines of creating good attacking chances throughout the match, be that clever tippy tappy trickery or more direct wing play, cross, wallop. With combative midfield energy to support that.

If you can play a good possession game that'a great, but not be reliant on it for everything - i.e. you can be quick, direct and effective whenever required. We rarely had that this season - one Luke Amos goal against Reading springs to mind but other than that I don't remember much.

All of the above plus two Maccas, one Kyle Walker and one Clive Wilson.
What Does 'Good Football' Mean on 09:06 - May 11 with 2381 viewsstevec

In my opinion, You’ve got to hold and give, but do it at the right time
You can be slow or fast, but you must get to the line
Chances are theyll always hit you and hurt you so defend and attack
But in reality, theres only one way to beat them, get ’round the back
What Does 'Good Football' Mean on 09:13 - May 11 with 2360 viewsswitchingcode

Winning
What Does 'Good Football' Mean on 09:18 - May 11 with 2347 viewssparkey

What Does 'Good Football' Mean on 09:13 - May 11 by switchingcode

Winning

Indeed. Would rather sh!thouse a 1-0 win than play gorgeous football and get a draw
What Does 'Good Football' Mean on 09:22 - May 11 with 2319 viewsEsox_Lucius

1st 30 mins of home game vs Luton a season or so back. Manning, BOS, Chair, Eze, Wells... THAT was a good football side to watch.

The grass is always greener.

What Does 'Good Football' Mean on 09:23 - May 11 with 2317 viewsKonk

I want to watch a team that can break with pace, lots of movement, the ability to string a series of passes together whilst speeding towards the opposition goal, and at least one midfielder who can play defence splitting passes. Very happy to go long on occasion if that’s the best option. Just want to see something that suggests the players are being coached and know what they’re doing. A bit of excitement and skill.

Don’t want to watch endless punts up field, head tennis, or fannying around on the edge of our own box for half an hour.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

What Does 'Good Football' Mean on 09:24 - May 11 with 2316 viewsBklynRanger

What Does 'Good Football' Mean on 09:22 - May 11 by Esox_Lucius

1st 30 mins of home game vs Luton a season or so back. Manning, BOS, Chair, Eze, Wells... THAT was a good football side to watch.

That was the one where we beat them to death in that first half and then held on for a 3-2.

Yeah that single half is the best I remember us playing under Warbs
What Does 'Good Football' Mean on 10:10 - May 11 with 2254 viewsAntti_Heinola

What Does 'Good Football' Mean on 09:18 - May 11 by sparkey

Indeed. Would rather sh!thouse a 1-0 win than play gorgeous football and get a draw

Sure, for a one off. But no one does really well off of sh!thousing 1-0 wins these days, and you'll probably come unstuck half the time: then you're playing sh!thouse football and not winning. Fans will not put up with that for long. I want to be entertained, not winning games as if, to quote Clive, sh!tting out a snooker table.

For me, good, fast, passing, but ultimately ambitious football. Liverpool and City great examples of this. Looking to play front foot. Attack. Exciting players.

Our 2011 vintage I reckon struck an almost perfect balance: able to scrap it out with the worst of them, but with sublime attacking ability to beat the best of them too. That, however, is lightning in a bottle.

Bare bones.

What Does 'Good Football' Mean on 10:21 - May 11 with 2236 viewsbosh67

Economically long hoof ball would be good for us. That means we could sell all our midfield creative assets and just go 5-5 lumping the ball from the back and loading their area with large quite immobile forwards or just big players (remember Shittu up front?) who just get their heads on it and try and bundle it in. We probably don’t need forwards. Just get more tall young defenders in to play up front. Much cheaper. Rent out the midfield area for something like a French food market. It’s a beautiful game really!

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

What Does 'Good Football' Mean on 10:35 - May 11 with 2217 viewsPunteR

Playing with the intent to score a goal or not concede a goal.
Not to keep possession so the stats look good. Strikers need to be more selfish and shoot rather than try and get their assist stats up.
[Post edited 11 May 2022 10:36]

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

What Does 'Good Football' Mean on 11:30 - May 11 with 2128 viewsrobith

What Does 'Good Football' Mean on 09:04 - May 11 by BklynRanger

It's a very good question. For me it comes down to chances I think. Which is tricky in itself because you can look at match stats sometimes and see loads of shots but still have watched a pretty dull game.

So something the along the lines of creating good attacking chances throughout the match, be that clever tippy tappy trickery or more direct wing play, cross, wallop. With combative midfield energy to support that.

If you can play a good possession game that'a great, but not be reliant on it for everything - i.e. you can be quick, direct and effective whenever required. We rarely had that this season - one Luke Amos goal against Reading springs to mind but other than that I don't remember much.

All of the above plus two Maccas, one Kyle Walker and one Clive Wilson.

What I was going to say - in football there's more than one way to skin a cat, but it ultimately comes down to creating multiple opportunities to score

For eg contrast Barcelona 08-12 vs Spain 08-12. Ostensibly they both deployed the tiki taka style of play. But Barcelona did it high up the pitch in order to exhaust/pressure their opposition into making errors in areas where they could be hurt. Involved a huge work rate, especially from the forward 3. In their pomp it was filthy to watch.

Spain conversely used the tactic in an inherently negative fashion - focused on ball retention as a defensive technique, much deeper on the pitch, often playing without a recognised striker if Villa wasn't fit. It was less fun to watch than gargling bleach
What Does 'Good Football' Mean on 11:40 - May 11 with 2101 viewsAntti_Heinola

What Does 'Good Football' Mean on 11:30 - May 11 by robith

What I was going to say - in football there's more than one way to skin a cat, but it ultimately comes down to creating multiple opportunities to score

For eg contrast Barcelona 08-12 vs Spain 08-12. Ostensibly they both deployed the tiki taka style of play. But Barcelona did it high up the pitch in order to exhaust/pressure their opposition into making errors in areas where they could be hurt. Involved a huge work rate, especially from the forward 3. In their pomp it was filthy to watch.

Spain conversely used the tactic in an inherently negative fashion - focused on ball retention as a defensive technique, much deeper on the pitch, often playing without a recognised striker if Villa wasn't fit. It was less fun to watch than gargling bleach

i think there were times when Spain were dull, but others when they were thrilling. I also felt the teams they played had something to do with it. Holland's set up in the final in SA was dreadful, had no interest in attacking, because they knew Spain would carve them up if they did.

Bare bones.

What Does 'Good Football' Mean on 11:40 - May 11 with 2101 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Fast in attack. Strong in defence. Clever in the middle.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

What Does 'Good Football' Mean on 11:42 - May 11 with 2098 viewsNorrisGreen

I go to matches in order throw beer in the air, leap about cuddling strangers and make disparaging remarks/gestures to away fans.
I find that the best way to give these activities a veneer of acceptability is to WIN games via scoring more GOALS than the opposition. Taking the Michael out of away fans when we're losing 1-3 at home is very dispiriting for me.

Given most of our fanbase perpetually points out that we have a small budget and shouldn't really have any expectations I think it's bleeding obvious we should be playing Neanderthal anti-football in order to scrap and kick our way up the league - it should be our basic starting point in all games; it's not optional.

Who didnt enjoy our 1-0 play-off win against Derby? Who didnt enjoy beating CFC 1-0 in that JT racism game? Let's face it, we were awful in both games and barely created anything. Nobody gives a monkey's though do they?
What Does 'Good Football' Mean on 11:46 - May 11 with 2094 viewsJuzzie

I remember a decade or so ago when the media & the whole footballing world were furiously tugging themselves over Swanseola.

Then I saw it for myself on Boxing Day. God it was utterly boring to watch. Allen managed to make a big money switch to Liverpool based on a 'high pass rate' yet all he did was pass it sideways or back. Racking up them stats, lovely.
Even Gerrard got frustrated with him because he never made any incisive forward/through balls. Still, Allen's bank manager was happy I guess.

Oh, and we beat Swansea 4-0 so that's how good their style was.

I'm not of the 'it's a results business' brigade so Pulisball is not for me, even if the win ratio is better than trying to play good football (as long as it doesn't mean relegation lol!)
What Does 'Good Football' Mean on 12:31 - May 11 with 2016 viewsrobith

What Does 'Good Football' Mean on 11:40 - May 11 by Antti_Heinola

i think there were times when Spain were dull, but others when they were thrilling. I also felt the teams they played had something to do with it. Holland's set up in the final in SA was dreadful, had no interest in attacking, because they knew Spain would carve them up if they did.

Spain were a bit better at the Euros, worthy winners in 08, and opened up on Italy in the final but turned in one of the most negative performances I've ever seen in the semi vs Portugal (they had a corner on 121 minutes and played it back to the keeper).

But they were hateful at that 2010 World Cup. They won every knock out game 1-0, playing full Simpsonsball
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024