Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Could the Southampton owner please stand up... 10:44 - Oct 29 with 1422 viewsDorsetIan

The universal praise and affection that has been forthcoming following the tragic death of Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha (and four others) casts the performance of our new owners into sharp relief.

Whereas VS, quite apart from his success on the field, seems to have formed a genuine bond with the fans and the wider community in Leicestershire, our new owners have been almost invisible.

'Leadership' is a funny thing to define, but if Leicester shows what leadership from the top can achieve, perhaps the same is true in reverse at Saints. The new owners took over in August 2017 and we have been rudderless throughout since then.

Could the Southampton owner please stand up... on 11:07 - Oct 29 with 1403 viewsA_Saint_in_Stoke

Totally agree with Ian - hence my Markus post earlier ............. does Mr Gao, who controls Chinese real estate group Lander Holdings really exist?

Poll: As a Saint's supporter I Feel Southampton F.C. Public Relations Department is -

Could the Southampton owner please stand up... on 12:41 - Oct 29 with 1342 viewsWhiteknight

The contrast could not be greater than with our owner.

Poll: Dover shambles - what's to blame?

Could the Southampton owner please stand up... on 12:47 - Oct 29 with 1335 viewsSonicBoom

Yes it could. Ask the fans of Blackpool, Charlton or Newcastle for a start.

Could the Southampton owner please stand up... on 13:08 - Oct 29 with 1313 viewsstmichael

They may well have similar problems now he has gone!!
As we did when Markus passed..

Could the Southampton owner please stand up... on 13:50 - Oct 29 with 1267 viewsMatt_Finish

Totally agree with Ian. We've won 7 of 46 league games since Gao took over.

Just as a comparison we won 21 of our last 46 games under Koeman.
Could the Southampton owner please stand up... on 14:12 - Oct 29 with 1246 viewsDorsetIan

Could the Southampton owner please stand up... on 13:50 - Oct 29 by Matt_Finish

Totally agree with Ian. We've won 7 of 46 league games since Gao took over.

Just as a comparison we won 21 of our last 46 games under Koeman.

...and why did Koeman leave...this is what he said...

“Les Reed said to me that it was not possible to go through my last year of contract without knowing what would happen after. That made it more difficult.

“At the same time Everton was showing interest. Southampton gave me permission to talk to Everton and now I am the new Everton manager.”

Koeman baulked at claims his £6 million a year contract on Merseyside was the sole motivation for his move north.

“If it’s for money, I can stop ­tomorrow. It’s more than money,” said Koeman.

“I had a good contract in Southampton. The managers in the Premier League are well paid. You can buy two cars, but you can only drive one car.

“Money is a part of different reasons and in football you need ambition. A new project can give you a new challenge, a new spirit a new ambition.

“When I spoke to Everton, the plan, the project, the history of the club was interesting. If I didn’t see ambition in Everton I wouldn’t come to Everton and that’s maybe a good message to all of the players.”

So, with a manager in the bag who has just got us into Europe Saints are quibbling about the fact that he's only tied in for a year. A desire for long term stability, good 'corporate governance' if you like, means we lose a good manager. And then the next year we ditch Puel because he's the wrong long term fit too (Europe and 8th just not good enough).

All this clever clever long term thinking looks pretty pathetic given what's come since.

Come on Mr Gao, show us that you have a bit more ambition than painting the border of the pitch bright Chinese red.
Could the Southampton owner please stand up... on 15:34 - Oct 29 with 1180 viewskingslandstand1

Could the Southampton owner please stand up... on 13:08 - Oct 29 by stmichael

Apparently it will be his son that takes over (sound familiar?), but the difference is that his offspring apparently has the same passion for Leicester as his father did

Could the Southampton owner please stand up... on 16:53 - Oct 29 with 1129 viewsCapt_Koons

Gao is not like some other foreign owners who have a cash fortune and want a football club as they might want a super yacht. His fortune is in paper only. He has nothing to invest and little or no interest judging by his number of visits. One can only speculate about his motives for buying us.

Poll: If our new manager is a success, which club will he be managing in 2 years time?

Login to get fewer ads

Could the Southampton owner please stand up... on 17:20 - Oct 29 with 1104 viewsDorsetIan

Could the Southampton owner please stand up... on 16:53 - Oct 29 by Capt_Koons

Gao is not like some other foreign owners who have a cash fortune and want a football club as they might want a super yacht. His fortune is in paper only. He has nothing to invest and little or no interest judging by his number of visits. One can only speculate about his motives for buying us.

I read that Xi Jinping is a massive football fan, so it doesn't do any harm from a Chinese domestic perspective for someone to also position themselves as a football 'fan'.

But, as you say, until he becomes a bit more vocal or active, we can only speculate.
Could the Southampton owner please stand up... on 01:31 - Oct 30 with 868 viewsA_Saint_in_Stoke

Could the Southampton owner please stand up... on 14:12 - Oct 29 by DorsetIan

“Les Reed said to me that it was not possible to go through my last year of contract without knowing what would happen after. That made it more difficult.

“At the same time Everton was showing interest. Southampton gave me permission to talk to Everton and now I am the new Everton manager.”

Koeman baulked at claims his £6 million a year contract on Merseyside was the sole motivation for his move north.

“I had a good contract in Southampton. The managers in the Premier League are well paid. You can buy two cars, but you can only drive one car.

“Money is a part of different reasons and in football you need ambition. A new project can give you a new challenge, a new spirit a new ambition.

“When I spoke to Everton, the plan, the project, the history of the club was interesting. If I didn’t see ambition in Everton I wouldn’t come to Everton and that’s maybe a good message to all of the players.”

So, with a manager in the bag who has just got us into Europe Saints are quibbling about the fact that he's only tied in for a year. A desire for long term stability, good 'corporate governance' if you like, means we lose a good manager. And then the next year we ditch Puel because he's the wrong long term fit too (Europe and 8th just not good enough).

All this clever clever long term thinking looks pretty pathetic given what's come since.

Come on Mr Gao, show us that you have a bit more ambition than painting the border of the pitch bright Chinese red.

Reed literally forced Koeman out ................... I question Reed's intelligence! The clever thing to do was as Ronald would have given us another year - and see out his contract ...... then Reed had a whole year to look and plan of " who would be the ideal Saints next manager " and the possibility that another year MAY have changed Koeman's mind but NO! Reeds pig-headed attitude .... meant that from that time - Saints have struggled in many areas

DorsetIan don't hold your breath were Mr. Geo's is concerned ---- the red area around our pitch ..... will be as good as it gets with him! let's face it- nearly 16 months into his tenure - and that is all that is all he can come up with. If anyone thinks he will dip his hand in his pocket " you are deluded " by all reports he only has borrowed paper money.

Poll: As a Saint's supporter I Feel Southampton F.C. Public Relations Department is -

Could the Southampton owner please stand up... on 09:21 - Oct 30 with 784 viewsDorsetIan

Could the Southampton owner please stand up... on 01:31 - Oct 30 by A_Saint_in_Stoke

Reed literally forced Koeman out ................... I question Reed's intelligence! The clever thing to do was as Ronald would have given us another year - and see out his contract ...... then Reed had a whole year to look and plan of " who would be the ideal Saints next manager " and the possibility that another year MAY have changed Koeman's mind but NO! Reeds pig-headed attitude .... meant that from that time - Saints have struggled in many areas

DorsetIan don't hold your breath were Mr. Geo's is concerned ---- the red area around our pitch ..... will be as good as it gets with him! let's face it- nearly 16 months into his tenure - and that is all that is all he can come up with. If anyone thinks he will dip his hand in his pocket " you are deluded " by all reports he only has borrowed paper money.

Hi ASIS. I fully agree. I don't know how much he has or will put his hand in his pocket, but my real concern is how invisible he is. We need to know that there is someone at the helm with a bit of ambition and so far we seen very little to suggest that.

That said, unless he is happy to piss £200m up the wall, he must have a commercial interest in keeping us in the Prem and the better we do the better able he will be to expand Saints' Chinese fan base. So let's hope his and our interests are ultimately aligned, even if we are coming at from different directions!
Could the Southampton owner please stand up... on 09:33 - Oct 30 with 781 viewsLeslie_Hughes

Could the Southampton owner please stand up... on 01:31 - Oct 30 by A_Saint_in_Stoke

What are you going on about? We were right to bin off Koeman. Were you a saints fan in the strachan years? (Doubt many that go nowadays went then). It never works having a manager running down a year. He was after the money anyway. Don’t be so stupid!

Poll: Should there be a strict dress code to attend games?

Could the Southampton owner please stand up... on 09:46 - Oct 30 with 772 viewsSonicBoom

Koeman wanted to go into the last year of his contract and didn't want to sign a new one. No club could accept that as the players would switch off.
He was also made the 6th highest paid manager in the world by Everton.
But you think Reed "forced" him out?
Could the Southampton owner please stand up... on 11:27 - Oct 30 with 742 viewsSaintNick

Could the Southampton owner please stand up... on 13:08 - Oct 29 by stmichael

If similar problems are four straight top 8 finishes and a wembley cup final and a semi, then I am sure that the fans of those clubs would grab those with open hands

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Could the Southampton owner please stand up... on 11:36 - Oct 30 with 736 viewsSaintNick

Is Koeman the first football manager to tell the truth and the whole truth in justifying leaving a club ?

Most football clubs would not want a player or manager with less than a year left in their contract, if Koeman had gone to Everton in November Reed would be getting pelters about why he let his contract run down and we didnt' get any compensation he cannot win with some.

Did Saints give Koeman permission, the man charged with getting Everton their new manager was Koeman's newly appointed agent, he didnt need to get Saints permission, this was only given right at the end when it was clear that Koeman who had turned down several offers was given so much money that he was something like the 5th highes paid football manager in the world.

Of course he would baulk at it, at the time he was having to try to convince the Everton fans that he was there for the right reasons something his body language and words were not doing very well. Ask any Everton fan they will tell you he never had any feeling for the club

Most people would agree that the clubs who prosper are the ones that are stable, that keep managers for a long period, that doesnt happen in football nowadays and we all know contracts mean nothing

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Could the Southampton owner please stand up... on 13:32 - Oct 30 with 701 viewsDorsetIan

Could the Southampton owner please stand up... on 11:36 - Oct 30 by SaintNick

Is Koeman the first football manager to tell the truth and the whole truth in justifying leaving a club ?

Most football clubs would not want a player or manager with less than a year left in their contract, if Koeman had gone to Everton in November Reed would be getting pelters about why he let his contract run down and we didnt' get any compensation he cannot win with some.

Did Saints give Koeman permission, the man charged with getting Everton their new manager was Koeman's newly appointed agent, he didnt need to get Saints permission, this was only given right at the end when it was clear that Koeman who had turned down several offers was given so much money that he was something like the 5th highes paid football manager in the world.

Of course he would baulk at it, at the time he was having to try to convince the Everton fans that he was there for the right reasons something his body language and words were not doing very well. Ask any Everton fan they will tell you he never had any feeling for the club

Most people would agree that the clubs who prosper are the ones that are stable, that keep managers for a long period, that doesnt happen in football nowadays and we all know contracts mean nothing

Agreed there are only a handful of people who really know what went on and £6m is going to tempt anyone but here's the same line from VVD (another unreliable witness, of course!)...

"Virgil van Dijk admits Southampton’s players were stunned when former manager Ronald Koeman left the club in the summer and has laid the blame on his own employers for losing him.

Koeman returns to St Mary’s on Sunday afternoon for the first time since he opted to leave the south coast with a year remaining on his contract for Everton.

The Dutchman had wanted to remain at Southampton for the final 12 months of his deal.
Chief executive Ralph Krueger was desperate for him sign an extension but Koeman was left unhappy with the offer.

Koeman, 53, was also adamant they must stop selling their star players each year and wanted to keep Sadio Mane and Victor Wanyama, but both were allowed to leave.

With the Merseyside club, backed by the wealth of new owner Farhad Moshiri, offering promises of significant transfer funds and a lucrative contract, Koeman made the decision to depart, which shocked Southampton’s fans and the board."

Thing is, don't the facts speak for themselves? Koeman had just got us into Europe. Got to assume that he was having fun at Saints. It's easy to assume that he was just a very greedy man who was feathering his own nest, but surely with the right offer and right commitment as to ambition he would have stayed.

Clearly the ambition simply wasn't there - at least not in terms of retention and recruitment - and we have seen that confirmed by what has happened. since.

Making sure we had a manager tied in to a long term contract would, of course, have been vital in preparing the company for a sale...

Could the Southampton owner please stand up... on 15:09 - Oct 30 with 666 viewsSonicBoom

Seriously? You are now using quotes from that paragon of virtue Van Dijk?

VvD was having secret meetings behind the clubs back to engineer his move to Liverpool. That is fact.
They paid a world record fee for him. That is a fact. And they paid him more than Saints possibly could. Also fact. He was not "allowed" to leave. We tried to keep him until it became ridiculous to keep him.Then fans were saying the club were stupid for not selling in the summer FFS.

Wanyama? Allowed to leave? Are you just making this up as you go? Wanyama was held to his contract for a year before he left.
seriously DorsetIan, if you have a formula for either..
A) Saints to compete financially against a top 6 side and/or
B) being able to stop players from leaving for far bigger clubs,
then I'm pretty sure the club would love to hear from you.

Incidentally I'm not a happy clapper. The issue isn't with who left it's who we replaced them with. But continuing to blame the club for d ickheads like Mane, Wanyama, Scneiderlin and Koeman who couldn't wait to move to a glamour club for twice the wages, is frankly bonkers. Using quotes from Koeman and VvD justifying their actions is ludicrous.
Could the Southampton owner please stand up... on 15:15 - Oct 30 with 665 viewsButty101

Could the Southampton owner please stand up... on 15:09 - Oct 30 by SonicBoom

VvD was having secret meetings behind the clubs back to engineer his move to Liverpool. That is fact.
They paid a world record fee for him. That is a fact. And they paid him more than Saints possibly could. Also fact. He was not "allowed" to leave. We tried to keep him until it became ridiculous to keep him.Then fans were saying the club were stupid for not selling in the summer FFS.

Wanyama? Allowed to leave? Are you just making this up as you go? Wanyama was held to his contract for a year before he left.

Incidentally I'm not a happy clapper. The issue isn't with who left it's who we replaced them with. But continuing to blame the club for d ickheads like Mane, Wanyama, Scneiderlin and Koeman who couldn't wait to move to a glamour club for twice the wages, is frankly bonkers. Using quotes from Koeman and VvD justifying their actions is ludicrous.

Leicester appear to hold onto to their players (Schmeichel, Maguire, Vardy, Chilwell, Gray) and held on to Kante and Mahrez for a good couple seasons. Why cant we?

Compare Chillwell to Shaw or Chambers. Our youth players couldnt be sold quick enough.

Poll: First League Win of the Season

Could the Southampton owner please stand up... on 16:01 - Oct 30 with 641 viewsDorsetIan

Could the Southampton owner please stand up... on 15:09 - Oct 30 by SonicBoom

And I’m not whatever the opposite of a happy clapper is. My only point is about leadership and ambition and the apparent lack of both.

And I see Koeman‘s departure as epitomising something not quite right with the club‘s leadership. Its like football by numbers - as if black boxes and getting everyone tied to the right length of contract is going to bring success. Where’s the passion, where‘s the absolute elation at getting a European place?

I agree that the recent history of football is littered with clubs overreaching and falling flat in their faces. But how much money did we lose when Gabriel Jesus scored with the final kick of last season - a million or two if I remember - the amounts of cash sloshing around are ridiculous and yet we lose Koeman because we don’t want to pay him too much. Talk about spoiling the ship for a happeth of tar.
Could the Southampton owner please stand up... on 16:44 - Oct 30 with 613 viewsjordan_sibley

Could the Southampton owner please stand up... on 09:21 - Oct 30 by DorsetIan

Hi ASIS. I fully agree. I don't know how much he has or will put his hand in his pocket, but my real concern is how invisible he is. We need to know that there is someone at the helm with a bit of ambition and so far we seen very little to suggest that.

That said, unless he is happy to piss £200m up the wall, he must have a commercial interest in keeping us in the Prem and the better we do the better able he will be to expand Saints' Chinese fan base. So let's hope his and our interests are ultimately aligned, even if we are coming at from different directions!

Talking to yourself is worse than talking to Edward, Alan.
[Post edited 30 Oct 2018 16:45]

Poll: which role would you prefer at Saints?

Could the Southampton owner please stand up... on 16:50 - Oct 30 with 601 viewsDorsetIan

Could the Southampton owner please stand up... on 16:44 - Oct 30 by jordan_sibley

Talking to yourself is worse than talking to Edward, Alan.
[Post edited 30 Oct 2018 16:45]

Katie, how nice to hear from you. And glad you’re still getting mileage out of the old ‚talking to yourself‘ chestnut.

You make such a vital contribution to TUI debate.
Could the Southampton owner please stand up... on 16:52 - Oct 30 with 594 viewsjordan_sibley

Could the Southampton owner please stand up... on 16:50 - Oct 30 by DorsetIan

Katie, how nice to hear from you. And glad you’re still getting mileage out of the old ‚talking to yourself‘ chestnut.

You make such a vital contribution to TUI debate.

Youre brilliant mate, i think you should give Arthur another mauling.

Poll: which role would you prefer at Saints?

Could the Southampton owner please stand up... on 11:31 - Oct 31 with 452 viewssaintjeff52

Well said Dorsetlan. I was totally happy with Koeman, the moment he walked through the door. There is absolutely no doubt that Les 'forced' him out. I don't care what the Club 'Spin' is. Oh for Koeman to have completed his third year of his Contract. Oh well, that's all water under the Bridge now.
As for Mr VS. What an absolutely Top Owner he turned out to be. What he put into Leicester FC, and into the City of Leicester was fantastic.
There is no comparison between him and Mr Gao. Our Owner, (80%), borrowed the money to purchase his 80%. Kat was happy. She got all her invested money, and more, back from the Deal. I'm sure Ralph and Les were 'looked after' in the deal, too. Others have done the research, but Gao gets nearly all our Money over the next three years, to pay off his loan to Mcquarrie Bank. At the same time Gao has retained the services of the current Management for those three years. Absolutely no chance of making progress with the current Board in place. We are basically 'treading water' for three years, the sum total of our 'ambitions' is to remain in the Premier League. As to Gao's motives in buying us, I'm totally mystified. What positives are/were there for OUR Club in the deal? What happens after the first three years ? Will Ralph, Les, et al disappear ? Will we still be in the Premier League ?
I do know that our Mr Gao will never be as loved by our Club, and City, as Mr VS is/was at Leicester. RIP to a Great Man. Let's hope it's not RIP to OUR Club in the near future.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2019