Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is the aggression between us and Cardiff fans reducing? 12:18 - Jun 14 with 5056 viewsTimBowen

Friday's excellent performance and result for Wales has rightly received much praise.

Was I there to witness this impressively important win at the CCS? No I wasn't!

Why not? Because even though I attend every Swans home match and as many away games as my work commitments will allow, I never even considered buying a ticket.

Why not? Because of how I feel for 'everything Cardiff,' particularly their football club and it's, so called 'fans.'

I'll be the first to admit, at my age, knocking on the door of 60 years of age, I should be taking a more mature stance towards our 'cousins.' Should I be embarrassed to admit to all this, particularly when using my real name on a public forum?

In all honesty, when it comes to other areas of life, I'm generally considered rational, reasonable and fair about all other areas of life. So why do I have this 'contempt' for this other football club and, because of it, that city as a whole? There's a standing joke in our house, that no-one is allowed to use the 'c word.' No, I don't mean the swear word...I mean "Cardiff."

Hearing about yet another 'comedy situation' arising from CCFC, is guaranteed to receive a very positive response from me. The further the Swans' success and Cardiff's 'serious issues' continue to 'distance ourselves' from them, the better I like it.

And then came Friday.

While watching the match, and seeing the euphoria demonstrated by the 'Welsh fans' in celebrating this vital win...there didn't seem to be the usual antagonism towards each other because of club rivalry. Several Swans fans I've spoken to since, who attended the match, have all expressed how there was no aggression shown towards them, either in the ground or in the pubs beforehand, even when they identified themselves as 'Jacks.'

Many people have commented over the years about how the Scots, with all their club (and religious) rivalries, when following Scotland, simply support Scotland. They don't use the occasions to physically intimidate, or attack smaller groups of rival clubs fans. That has rarely been the case in following Wales. How could a responsible Swans supporting father, take his young children into such a potentially violent atmosphere? Usually in football matches, the rival fans are segregated from you...not when following Wales they're not!

So I wondered...whether, the 'hatred' that many of my generation, who grew up in the violent football atmosphere of the 'Seventies/Eighties,' would be the last generation holding these contemptuous feelings for each other?

Will the success that's being experienced by the Swans and the possible financial implosion of CCFC and the likely and subsequent distancing of the clubs on the field of play, actually help to diffuse the aggression between the two clubs? Will the (hopefully) success of the Wales football team, in qualifying for a major tournament also be an important catalyst to heal 'old enmities' between us?

Will our success and their 'troubles,' lead to them to having a new respect for us, leading indirectly to a reduction in old tensions? They've always had a completely delusional/misguided opinion about their inherent superiority...largely because politicians decided to create Cardiff as a capital city back in the fifties.

It was interesting to read the CCMB forum thread last evening, that was overwhelmingly praiseworthy of the Swans' playing contingent after Friday's win. Do they understand our increasing player quality looks to be an on-going reality for the foreseeable future? Do they recognise that they cannot currently compete and are going to adopt a more conciliatory attitude towards us in future?

Was Friday evening the first tangible evidence of a lessening of tensions between us? Will this mean fewer Wales games where you are not so much looking at the pitch, but continually looking over your shoulder at what may be aimed towards you? My son is 19, he has been an 'ever-present' since being introduced to the love of supporting the Swans since 2003.

He fortunately, unlike many of us, has never experienced the need to defend himself before or during a match, witnessed fighting in the streets with Cardiff fans. He therefore doesn't feel the same negative intensity about them. Will this open antagonism be gradually reduced as our aging 70's/80's generation fades away?

Through work, I know several CCFC fans and although the banter is ever-present (long may that non-violent loyalty to our clubs continue) I never feel the need to 'cave their skulls in.' Hopefully, if the non aggressive intermingling of Swans and Cardiff fans continues, particularly if we qualify for France, (because that'll surely be the litmus test...?) hopefully the stupid, short-sighted and unnecessary violence that is a regular feature of these meet ups can be a thing of the past?

There have been several occasions in the (albeit distant) past, when I've stood on the Bob Bank at Ninian Park and openly, vocally supported the Swans, without the fear of being physically attacked. Obviously, that changed! Can it ever revert back to those days though I wonder?

Even after all what I said earlier about my feelings towards Cardiff City and it's 'fans,' I genuinely hope that will eventually be the case. It would be interesting what Cardiff fans would think about encouraging this atmosphere of détente? Could this be something the clubs, via their 'Trust' members actively promote/encourage?

I'm sorry about the length of this posting, blame boring Sunday mornings eh? But I'd be interested in your thoughts.
Is the aggression between us and Cardiff fans reducing? on 12:52 - Jun 14 with 3839 viewsTim_Harry

Nowadays I just see Cardiff City as a football club that is there to be laughed at. Even when they got to the Prem I couldn't really take them seriously. I often read their two main message boards for some light comic relief after reading about proper football on here. Arguing with a Cardiff fan about football nowadays just seems like an unfair fight. For that reason it's a lot easier for both sides to just forget about club rivalry and get on with supporting the national team.

Long may it continue.

Is the aggression between us and Cardiff fans reducing? on 12:55 - Jun 14 with 3832 viewsJBT95

If you won't go to watch your national football team because it is at the home of our rivals.... I don't know what to say. Only you miss out I guess.
Is the aggression between us and Cardiff fans reducing? on 13:16 - Jun 14 with 3766 viewsPrivate_Partz

Is the aggression between us and Cardiff fans reducing? on 12:55 - Jun 14 by JBT95

If you won't go to watch your national football team because it is at the home of our rivals.... I don't know what to say. Only you miss out I guess.

In fairness he has said he has been to Cardiff to support the Swans in the past although I must say I never felt safe standing on the BoB Bank. I am a couple of years older than the OP and I can recall swans fans being set upon in the late 60's. Stoning of the coaches being the aftermatch ritual. Then the long drive home sitting in splintered glass and freezing cold....
Having said that I believe the larger crowds will put those hell bent on trouble in the extreme minority. This coupled with lengthy / lifetime bans will ensure trouble continues to subside.
For me the extreme dislike continues because of the violence I have witnessed and the sheer unfairness of the political Cardiff centric policies that are wrecking Wales. I refuse to go shopping there and am very reluctant to put any money into that economy.
A hope for me is that one day all of Wales will be governed fairly and not just for the South East. This , coupled with the reduction in crowd violence, might cause me to revisit my stance. Unfortunately I could be pushing up daises by then...

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Is the aggression between us and Cardiff fans reducing? on 13:18 - Jun 14 with 3758 viewsdobjack2

I think it was stated on another thread that when the team is doing well more people attend games and that most of these are family friendly fans rather than knuckledraggers.

The test will come with smaller crowds when either wales are not doing so well = less fans = greater percentage of knuckledraggers at the game who are bored or pi$$ed off with the score or there is a midweek friendly against unfashionable opposition.
Is the aggression between us and Cardiff fans reducing? on 13:18 - Jun 14 with 3758 viewsoldcob

Lets hope the violent and aggressive part of the rivalry is lessening. Its primitive if nothing else. If we ever play them again I will hate them for the full ninety minutes, but other than that they are no concern of mine one way or the other.
Is the aggression between us and Cardiff fans reducing? on 13:21 - Jun 14 with 3750 viewsChief

Welsh team unite

why do we fight?

Poll: Rate the ref's performance today

Is the aggression between us and Cardiff fans reducing? on 13:23 - Jun 14 with 3736 viewsdgt73

Is the aggression between us and Cardiff fans reducing? on 12:55 - Jun 14 by JBT95

Miss out on what ??????? We Swans fans get to see our club/team play against some of the biggest clubs in the world and some of the best players......so missing Wales play Andorra etc is hardly what I'd call missing out.

Poll: Have Swansea got some of the most negative w@nkers following them

Is the aggression between us and Cardiff fans reducing? on 13:58 - Jun 14 with 3642 viewsJBT95

Is the aggression between us and Cardiff fans reducing? on 13:23 - Jun 14 by dgt73

Miss out on what ??????? We Swans fans get to see our club/team play against some of the biggest clubs in the world and some of the best players......so missing Wales play Andorra etc is hardly what I'd call missing out.

Yeah we get to watch these teams every season, week in week out. But that is not why I support Swansea City. These players are not ours and these clubs are not the one I support. Unless we get into the Champions League or win the Premier League, we've hit a ceiling can you not see that? Even winning the FA Cup wouldn't be as good as winning the League cup in my opinion as that was our first major trophy (don't get me wrong I'd love to win the FA Cup).

Missing out on Wales qualifying (hopefully) for Euro2016 after a 58 year absence from major finals will be a one off (with any luck).

Miss out on watching one of the greatest Welsh players, the best currently, the most expensive player to date, something we won't see is Bale turning out against Swansea. Even then if he did (by moving back to the Prem) anything brilliant from him we wouldn't be the ones celebrating.

It is a journey and if you don't like the national side you won't get it. I am certainly looking forward to the Cyprus game more than playing the same sides we have for 4 years now again.
[Post edited 14 Jun 2015 14:13]
Login to get fewer ads

Is the aggression between us and Cardiff fans reducing? on 14:52 - Jun 14 with 3528 viewsStarsky

Is the aggression between us and Cardiff fans reducing? on 13:58 - Jun 14 by JBT95

Yeah we get to watch these teams every season, week in week out. But that is not why I support Swansea City. These players are not ours and these clubs are not the one I support. Unless we get into the Champions League or win the Premier League, we've hit a ceiling can you not see that? Even winning the FA Cup wouldn't be as good as winning the League cup in my opinion as that was our first major trophy (don't get me wrong I'd love to win the FA Cup).

Missing out on Wales qualifying (hopefully) for Euro2016 after a 58 year absence from major finals will be a one off (with any luck).

Miss out on watching one of the greatest Welsh players, the best currently, the most expensive player to date, something we won't see is Bale turning out against Swansea. Even then if he did (by moving back to the Prem) anything brilliant from him we wouldn't be the ones celebrating.

It is a journey and if you don't like the national side you won't get it. I am certainly looking forward to the Cyprus game more than playing the same sides we have for 4 years now again.
[Post edited 14 Jun 2015 14:13]

I feel your passion but disagree with your thought process regarding the FA cup.
Winning the FA Cup would be so so much better than the Capital One cup.

Anyway, that's off topic really, do I'll leave it there.

Integration of both sets of fans during Wales games is absolutely crucial

It's just the internet, init.

Is the aggression between us and Cardiff fans reducing? on 14:56 - Jun 14 with 3517 viewsbuilthjack

Support your club yes, but also support your country, whoever that is.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Is the aggression between us and Cardiff fans reducing? on 15:15 - Jun 14 with 3466 viewsAngelRangelQS

Is the aggression between us and Cardiff fans reducing? on 13:23 - Jun 14 by dgt73

Anyone who has an interest in Welsh sport and wasn't there on Friday night missed out imo
Is the aggression between us and Cardiff fans reducing? on 15:42 - Jun 14 with 3407 viewsdgt73

How can you miss out on something you have no interest in ?

Poll: Have Swansea got some of the most negative w@nkers following them

Is the aggression between us and Cardiff fans reducing? on 16:33 - Jun 14 with 3330 viewsymaohyd

A few points.

The onus, should be on Cardiff fans to leave club rivalry aside when following Wales. I say this because the vast number of games are naturally and rightly played in the capital. It shows an intolerable level of small mindedness if Cardiff fans use the national team as a vehicle to further their rivalry towards us...unfortunately over the years that's what they have done.

Back in the 80's I went to a few away Wales games, Belgium 1-1 being one in Brussels and it was a nightmare.

On the train going back to Oostend, it was Jacks this, Jacks that, very intimidating.

All clubs have a section of supporters who represent the bad side of football, unfortunately Cardiff have had more than their fair share, in my opinion they're a horrible lot, an opinion shared up and down England and Wales.

Would we be different if the majority of games were held in Swansea? Quite possibly not.

As an aside, what I don't understand is when people say, my friends went on Friday, all Swans fans, didn't have any bother!

Do people have a stamp on their heads saying where they are from or something?

I don't think the level of aggression is reducing, back in the day, there have been plenty of bigger games for Wales in terms of attendance and there were only sporadic problems, the bigger the game the less likely there are to be problems.

An away game, when they see Swansea flags etc the same old tribalism will prevail.

Blog: World Cup Performance = Transfer Speculation?

Is the aggression between us and Cardiff fans reducing? on 16:43 - Jun 14 with 3296 viewsCopperJack

Is the aggression between us and Cardiff fans reducing? on 13:16 - Jun 14 by Private_Partz

In fairness he has said he has been to Cardiff to support the Swans in the past although I must say I never felt safe standing on the BoB Bank. I am a couple of years older than the OP and I can recall swans fans being set upon in the late 60's. Stoning of the coaches being the aftermatch ritual. Then the long drive home sitting in splintered glass and freezing cold....
Having said that I believe the larger crowds will put those hell bent on trouble in the extreme minority. This coupled with lengthy / lifetime bans will ensure trouble continues to subside.
For me the extreme dislike continues because of the violence I have witnessed and the sheer unfairness of the political Cardiff centric policies that are wrecking Wales. I refuse to go shopping there and am very reluctant to put any money into that economy.
A hope for me is that one day all of Wales will be governed fairly and not just for the South East. This , coupled with the reduction in crowd violence, might cause me to revisit my stance. Unfortunately I could be pushing up daises by then...

I'm exactly the same. The complete and utter contempt which everything in Wales treats Swansea with has led to me feeling the same for them. My only loyalty is to this city. Don't go to Cardiff,won't spend money there, support their economy and am sick to death of the complete corruption which has characterised Wales since that F*****g assembly gained power. Was quite proud of being Welsh when I was younger until I seen how disgustingly this country treats our city. Now think of myself as British.

Poll: The 2016 Assembly Elections: Which way will you be voting & why?

Is the aggression between us and Cardiff fans reducing? on 17:11 - Jun 14 with 3228 viewspencoedjack

Is the aggression between us and Cardiff fans reducing? on 16:33 - Jun 14 by ymaohyd

A few points.

The onus, should be on Cardiff fans to leave club rivalry aside when following Wales. I say this because the vast number of games are naturally and rightly played in the capital. It shows an intolerable level of small mindedness if Cardiff fans use the national team as a vehicle to further their rivalry towards us...unfortunately over the years that's what they have done.

Back in the 80's I went to a few away Wales games, Belgium 1-1 being one in Brussels and it was a nightmare.

On the train going back to Oostend, it was Jacks this, Jacks that, very intimidating.

All clubs have a section of supporters who represent the bad side of football, unfortunately Cardiff have had more than their fair share, in my opinion they're a horrible lot, an opinion shared up and down England and Wales.

Would we be different if the majority of games were held in Swansea? Quite possibly not.

As an aside, what I don't understand is when people say, my friends went on Friday, all Swans fans, didn't have any bother!

Do people have a stamp on their heads saying where they are from or something?

I don't think the level of aggression is reducing, back in the day, there have been plenty of bigger games for Wales in terms of attendance and there were only sporadic problems, the bigger the game the less likely there are to be problems.

An away game, when they see Swansea flags etc the same old tribalism will prevail.

Indeed everyone seems to have forgot a Swans fan had his flag taken down by a Bassey in Israel.
Is the aggression between us and Cardiff fans reducing? on 17:14 - Jun 14 with 3226 viewsshandyjack

I'm as passionate about welsh football as anyone else and will be in France next year if we get there, but i don't go to the games and will not even try to get a ticket for France. When it comes to Wales i am just as happy watching on TV

Poll: Expectation for the season

Is the aggression between us and Cardiff fans reducing? on 19:22 - Jun 14 with 3039 viewsScoobyDoo

After such a momentous night as Friday you will always get the negative oink on here trying to fan the flames, I mean the OP says he won't have the 'C' word mentioned in his house but converses friendly banter at work? What a joke. What's happened in the past hopefully stays there. I sat next to complete stranger's but did we ask what club sides we supported? No as no one cared, same as in the bars, well where I was anyway.
Is the aggression between us and Cardiff fans reducing? on 19:38 - Jun 14 with 2995 viewsHighjack

I think people have really bought into this together stronger thing. It's amazing what a hashtag can do these days.

For all the faults of the FAW over my lifetime and there have been many, they have really nailed it this last few years.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Is the aggression between us and Cardiff fans reducing? on 21:17 - Jun 14 with 2850 viewsFlashberryjack

Is the aggression between us and Cardiff fans reducing? on 14:56 - Jun 14 by builthjack

Support your club yes, but also support your country, whoever that is.

This

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Is the aggression between us and Cardiff fans reducing? on 21:49 - Jun 14 with 2772 viewsKilkennyjack

Dont let idiot people spoil your pride and enjoyment in supporting our national team if you feel you want to. I am old enough to have seen the bad times and i hope they are very much in the past. Go and support our fine young team and the reborn FAW. fAW are late to the party in sorting this nonsense out, but its on the case now with its rebrand of the CCS and its TogetherStronger campaign. The sad idiots have had their day, now is the time to reclaim our game. Cymru am byth.

Beware of the Risen People

Is the aggression between us and Cardiff fans reducing? on 10:43 - Jun 15 with 2444 viewsbuilthjack

Is the aggression between us and Cardiff fans reducing? on 19:22 - Jun 14 by ScoobyDoo

After such a momentous night as Friday you will always get the negative oink on here trying to fan the flames, I mean the OP says he won't have the 'C' word mentioned in his house but converses friendly banter at work? What a joke. What's happened in the past hopefully stays there. I sat next to complete stranger's but did we ask what club sides we supported? No as no one cared, same as in the bars, well where I was anyway.

Agree with Scooby on this. You are supporting your Country at International games. Obviously you want your own players to do well too, but who gives a f if you are next to a Bassey, Gog, or anyone else as long as they all support Wales. Maybe attending these games is just for grown ups.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Is the aggression between us and Cardiff fans reducing? on 11:23 - Jun 15 with 2401 viewsmattjenkins1990

Personally as a 24 year old Swansea Fan who has not be raised in Swansea I have never really experienced the hostility of Cardiff fans. I have heard through this form and from my Family what it was like. I also have cousins who are live and support CCFC.

I like most Jacks give a bit of banter out at Cardiff's expense however the disparity between the clubs means that there is no real rivalry other than a Geographical proximity.

I would like to see all Welsh teams do well, the tribal rivalry should be one that is in enjoyed not to put fans in a position where the fear of attack means they cannot participate in National events.

Successful sporting teams will draw attention to Wales as a country as well as bring revenue from both home and travelling fans and will continue to provide a better and better quality of player for our national team

The stronger united hashtag really struck home. We as a country have a small population and this tribal club segregation is probably a large contributing factor to our recent poor form in international competitions.

I for one have enjoyed this united Wales and i do hope they can push on and achieve the qualification that all of Wales desires.

Poll: Would you welcome Investment

Is the aggression between us and Cardiff fans reducing? on 15:03 - Jun 15 with 2190 viewsicecoldjack

I think the OP sums up the mood very well. I'd love to follow Wales at the Euro's with a united supporter base of Swansea,Cardiff,Wrexham and Newport .

Some of my best mates are Bluebirds and the banter between us is non stop and mostly hillarious, we been taking it off them for years, especially during the Hamam days but now the shoe is on the other foot!

My point is that the last thing needed by a Wales qualification is its fans emmbarrasing the nation with in fighting on the terraces . Lets hope the unity continues all the way into France in 2016 !
Is the aggression between us and Cardiff fans reducing? on 17:02 - Jun 15 with 2055 viewsScoobyDoo

Is the aggression between us and Cardiff fans reducing? on 15:03 - Jun 15 by icecoldjack

I think the OP sums up the mood very well. I'd love to follow Wales at the Euro's with a united supporter base of Swansea,Cardiff,Wrexham and Newport .

Some of my best mates are Bluebirds and the banter between us is non stop and mostly hillarious, we been taking it off them for years, especially during the Hamam days but now the shoe is on the other foot!

My point is that the last thing needed by a Wales qualification is its fans emmbarrasing the nation with in fighting on the terraces . Lets hope the unity continues all the way into France in 2016 !

I think when one of your songs is sung in our stadium and no one bats an eyelid (well maybe one or two ) and everybody gets on with it for the cause, I think a corner has well and truly been turned.
Is the aggression between us and Cardiff fans reducing? on 17:09 - Jun 15 with 2041 viewsmonmouth

It's easy to be united at an occasion like Friday; the test might be in the away trips and should Wales slump again. Plus of course as Swansea get even stronger and Cardiff ever weaker the atmosphere might change as the nutters have nothing left but to lash out. That won't happen as long as the crowd is not small.

I agree though that a corner did seem to be turned and that the Stronger through Wonga or whatever slogan seems to have captured/promoted the mood.

Altogether has to be a good thing and was quite uplifting to observe.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024