Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Does Brexit die tonight? 11:59 - Sep 3 with 29840 viewswestwalesed

When this bill passes, which I expect it to, my understanding is that the EU theoretically can propose a different extension to the proposed January 31st, 2020 date currently in the bill.

The bill states that the PM has to accept that date, and that Parliament has two days to either accept or reject it (thereby putting any future extension date in the hands of Parliament as opposed to the PM). Given that we have a remain leaning parliament currently it's hard tp see how any proposed date would be rejected.

PM Johnson would then seek an election as he has stated, but now that it is looking as if the opposition parties may not get to the two-thirds of MPs required to trigger it, there will be no election at all. What then?

With a Govt that has to accept any date given and Parliament refusing to give him an opportunity to change the make up of the Commons, is this the day that Brexit dies?

Is it revoking A50 by the back door?

Poll: Live in a country with no internet?

Does Brexit die tonight? on 22:32 - Sep 4 with 1777 viewsmonmouth

Does Brexit die tonight? on 22:18 - Sep 4 by longlostjack

I certainly wouldn’t rule that out. The rationale being that if a hard Brexit is achieved the Tories would no longer have anything to fear from the Brexit Party as Farage would have achieved his objective. Boris could then offer the snake oil salesman the position of Foreign Secretary.

No government will survive the fall out of a no deal, as it not the end but the beginning of negotiating a deal from a worse position. All this clean break stuff is pure uncut shit. Plus the short term effects are going to be disastrous, as shown by the Govt leaks and Carney's, 'it's not as bad as we thought, it's merely horrendous', announcement earlier.

Johnson does NOT want no deal, he just wants farage neutralised, to borrow his stinking clothes for a few weeks, and a majority to make the ERG irrelevant and pass May's deal with some sweetened wording on form over substance on the backstop. Then he can get on with lording it like the 'king' he sees himself as, doing absolutely nothing except attending dinners, doing his vaudeville shtick, lying to his hearts content, and maybe building a Boris Tower for himself.

He's a liar interested only in himself. No Deal is simply another lie. He just lies, and that's it. Lies. All the time.
[Post edited 4 Sep 2019 22:32]

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Does Brexit die tonight? on 22:42 - Sep 4 with 1747 viewsKilkennyjack

Boris lying about negotiations.
There are none.

Branded now as an English nationalist Tory party.

Beware of the Risen People

Does Brexit die tonight? on 22:48 - Sep 4 with 1738 viewsmajorraglan

Does Brexit die tonight? on 21:36 - Sep 4 by Flashberryjack

"And guess what, nobody trusts a liar PM "

A PM that tells lies shock horror!! who would have thunk it.

I think this one lies more than most! The guys is completely untrustworthy and I hope he gets found out and pays the price.
[Post edited 4 Sep 2019 22:48]
Does Brexit die tonight? on 22:54 - Sep 4 with 1718 viewsmajorraglan

Does Brexit die tonight? on 22:42 - Sep 4 by Kilkennyjack

Boris lying about negotiations.
There are none.

Branded now as an English nationalist Tory party.

This guy was interviewed on Channel 4 news earlier this evening. They also tried to interview David Frost the diplomat leading the Brexit negotiations, but he kept his head down and carried on walking and wouldn’t engage. Barrier and some of his people were prepared to speak to the camera.

Pretty sure he also had some swear words edited out of the interview on TV.
[Post edited 4 Sep 2019 22:57]
Does Brexit die tonight? on 23:06 - Sep 4 with 1691 viewsJackSomething

Does Brexit die tonight? on 21:09 - Sep 4 by Highjack

You all said that the first time.

I didn't.

Equally had remain won with such a slim majority, are you suggesting you would never have mentioned leaving the EU again, or not calling for a new referendum if the situation changed, say if we planned to join the Euro?

You can't, because it would be an obvious lie.

You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help.

Does Brexit die tonight? on 23:16 - Sep 4 with 1671 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

Tory Dictatorship 🤢

It’s labour

Or the c@nts

Up to you lot

Poll: DO you support the uk getting involved in Syria

Does Brexit die tonight? on 02:05 - Sep 5 with 1594 viewsDJack

Does Brexit die tonight? on 17:19 - Sep 4 by wobbly

I really hope we get a GE called by the end of today.

The campaign would be terrifically entertaining on all sides. But the uproar when Boris gets returned on an absolute majority will be a sight to behold.

I USED to think that you were clever...

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

Does Brexit die tonight? on 02:09 - Sep 5 with 1591 viewsDJack

Does Brexit die tonight? on 21:36 - Sep 4 by Flashberryjack

"And guess what, nobody trusts a liar PM "

A PM that tells lies shock horror!! who would have thunk it.

Classic whataboutery/fúckwittery. He is trying to deceive Parliament AND the nation not tell a "white lie".

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

Login to get fewer ads

Does Brexit die tonight? on 11:11 - Sep 5 with 1485 viewsKerouac

Does Brexit die tonight? on 22:48 - Sep 4 by majorraglan

I think this one lies more than most! The guys is completely untrustworthy and I hope he gets found out and pays the price.
[Post edited 4 Sep 2019 22:48]

The Labour movement is one big lie, full of charlatans.
It is now out in the open.
Nobody who voted Brexit will trust them ever again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss9VZ1FHxy0
Poll: Which manager should replace Russell Martin (2) ?

Does Brexit die tonight? on 13:13 - Sep 5 with 1453 viewsAce_Jack

Does Brexit die tonight? on 11:11 - Sep 5 by Kerouac

The Labour movement is one big lie, full of charlatans.
It is now out in the open.
Nobody who voted Brexit will trust them ever again.

The lib dem speaks
Does Brexit die tonight? on 13:41 - Sep 5 with 1429 viewsKerouac

Does Brexit die tonight? on 13:13 - Sep 5 by Ace_Jack

The lib dem speaks

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1174010/jeremy-corbyn-latest-brexit-latest-new

Does Brexit die tonight? on 13:55 - Sep 5 with 1414 viewslondonlisa2001

Does Brexit die tonight? on 13:41 - Sep 5 by Kerouac

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1174010/jeremy-corbyn-latest-brexit-latest-new

That article actually shows you the problem Johnson has.

Even amongst the most furious pro Brexit people they could find, several said they weren’t sure how they’d vote.

As I’ve said before, I don’t believe Swansea East will vote conservative. They may vote brexit party. But the only way there is a pact between the two parties is Johnson promising a no deal Brexit (Farage has confirmed that again today). In which case, the more centrist Tories vote LibDem. And Johnson has to find an extra 20 or 30 seats plus any he loses to the LibDems in the South East.
Does Brexit die tonight? on 14:04 - Sep 5 with 1393 viewsUxbridge

Does Brexit die tonight? on 19:06 - Sep 4 by Groo

Who knows if it would have ended up as no deal if the UK could have negotiated with a strong hand, not with both hands tied behind its back.

The EU had no motivation to negotiate anything. They stood firm on keeping the UK tied.

I'm not sure how we had our hands tied on this. No Deal is abject failure by its very definition.

May, for all her failures, probably got as good a deal as she was ever going to get, mainly because a lot of things such as the backstop were actually what she asked for. The awkward reality is that any deal that is remotely possible will, by definition, be unacceptable to either the DUP or the ERG. Another awkward reality is that any deal is worse than the one we aready have.

Anything else would require the EU to abandon Ireland, and they're never going to do that. And nor should they. In exactly the same way we shouldn't abandon Northern Ireland, and yet that's exactly what we're doing by ripping up the Good Friday Agreement that's literally built on the premise there's no hard border in Ireland.

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

Does Brexit die tonight? on 14:05 - Sep 5 with 1387 viewsAce_Jack

Does Brexit die tonight? on 13:41 - Sep 5 by Kerouac

Oh no, Corbyn has lost the support of the daily express. This revelation will send shivers down spines at the next branch meeting.
Does Brexit die tonight? on 15:10 - Sep 5 with 1351 viewsKerouac

Does Brexit die tonight? on 14:05 - Sep 5 by Ace_Jack

Oh no, Corbyn has lost the support of the daily express. This revelation will send shivers down spines at the next branch meeting.

You are deluded son.

Does Brexit die tonight? on 15:18 - Sep 5 with 1330 viewsJackSomething

You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help.

Does Brexit die tonight? on 15:20 - Sep 5 with 1329 viewsLohengrin

Are they all Corbynistas there now, young Ace?

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Does Brexit die tonight? on 15:32 - Sep 5 with 1311 viewsLohengrin

Does Brexit die tonight? on 13:55 - Sep 5 by londonlisa2001

That article actually shows you the problem Johnson has.

Even amongst the most furious pro Brexit people they could find, several said they weren’t sure how they’d vote.

As I’ve said before, I don’t believe Swansea East will vote conservative. They may vote brexit party. But the only way there is a pact between the two parties is Johnson promising a no deal Brexit (Farage has confirmed that again today). In which case, the more centrist Tories vote LibDem. And Johnson has to find an extra 20 or 30 seats plus any he loses to the LibDems in the South East.

”I don’t believe Swansea East will vote conservative.”

You’d as likely see Hell freeze over first, Lis.

There’s nobody left to speak up for them, or me. I’m sure there must be millions by now feel completely forsaken.

Does Brexit die tonight? on 15:38 - Sep 5 with 1301 viewslondonlisa2001

Does Brexit die tonight? on 15:32 - Sep 5 by Lohengrin

”I don’t believe Swansea East will vote conservative.”

You’d as likely see Hell freeze over first, Lis.

There’s nobody left to speak up for them, or me. I’m sure there must be millions by now feel completely forsaken.

I agree. And that’s where I think Johnson is potentially making an error in assuming leave voters will vote for him.
Does Brexit die tonight? on 15:48 - Sep 5 with 1292 viewsLohengrin

Does Brexit die tonight? on 15:38 - Sep 5 by londonlisa2001

I agree. And that’s where I think Johnson is potentially making an error in assuming leave voters will vote for him.

I doubt self-awareness has ever been his strong suit, love.

Does Brexit die tonight? on 17:45 - Sep 5 with 1245 viewsAce_Jack

Does Brexit die tonight? on 15:20 - Sep 5 by Lohengrin

Are they all Corbynistas there now, young Ace?

No idea I haven’t been in months. Probably the same as before which is a ratio 50/50. I’ve had my complaints for the last 4 years but I do think he’s had one of his better weeks.
Does Brexit die tonight? on 12:15 - Sep 6 with 1133 viewsCatullus

Does Brexit die tonight? on 12:16 - Sep 3 by londonlisa2001

I can’t stand Corbyn.

If he votes against a GE called by Johnson I will applaud him. It’s not a GE with caveats, it’s an attempt to force a no deal.

The backstop can be removed if there is an alternative. There isn’t. It really is simple.

You miss the point, calling a GE is giving the choice back to the people. Many on here were saying we should have a second vote, that it is undemocratic to deny us another vote because many have changed their minds. However, now that the remainers in Parliament may have found a way to stop brexit, the remainers don't want another vote!

A General election would turn into a referendum on brexit, choose Boris and we leave no matter what, choose anyone else and we remain.

There are people on the opposite sides of the fence who want a GE just because Parliament is in stalemate and we can't stay in this limbo forever.
It is ironic that the man who has been calling for a GE ever since he lost to Theresa May now doesn't want one, changing his mind last Monday just hours after saying publicly he did want one, maybe because Starmer had explained a few things to him!

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Does Brexit die tonight? on 12:44 - Sep 6 with 1123 viewssherpajacob

Does Brexit die tonight? on 12:15 - Sep 6 by Catullus

You miss the point, calling a GE is giving the choice back to the people. Many on here were saying we should have a second vote, that it is undemocratic to deny us another vote because many have changed their minds. However, now that the remainers in Parliament may have found a way to stop brexit, the remainers don't want another vote!

A General election would turn into a referendum on brexit, choose Boris and we leave no matter what, choose anyone else and we remain.

There are people on the opposite sides of the fence who want a GE just because Parliament is in stalemate and we can't stay in this limbo forever.
It is ironic that the man who has been calling for a GE ever since he lost to Theresa May now doesn't want one, changing his mind last Monday just hours after saying publicly he did want one, maybe because Starmer had explained a few things to him!

The opposition parties are perfectly happy having a GE after 31 October.

Ask yourself why Johnson now wants one before 31/10, but not after.

Johnson said only a few days ago, he doesn't want a GE and neither do the people. For him it's Brexit on 31/10 "do or die", why on earth would opposition parties help him do.?

If the government want to end the stalemate, another referendum would do that better than a GE which would more than likely produce another hung parliament. Johnson says negotiations are progressing with the EU, so he could put what he's agreed with the EU to the people,......arf

The majority of the HoC simply don't trust Johnson, do you?

Edit.

Johnson now insisting he will get a deal, I wonder what that will look like, considering no new negotiations have yet taken place.
[Post edited 6 Sep 2019 13:07]

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

Does Brexit die tonight? on 13:18 - Sep 6 with 1096 viewslondonlisa2001

Does Brexit die tonight? on 12:15 - Sep 6 by Catullus

Actually calling a GE is trying to give the choice back in a way that Cummings thinks they can finesse due to an alliance with the brexit party and the FPTP system we have. A referendum is fairer.

But I agree we need one of the two, and a GE is better than nothing. And we will have one. Just not at the date Johnson chooses. Parties have always had GEs at the time it suits them, and Labour and the others have the whip hand, so they will do the same. One of the reasons for October 15 it seems was an issue with being able to get students registered in time thus reducing their vote. We all know students are more likely to vote for someone other than Johnson, so why would the others go along with that? And delaying him to a point where he has to get an extension hurts him. It’s all a game, but it’s no different to the game played every single election there has ever been.

Corbyn is being controlled now by people brighter than him. Thank God for that. About time.
Does Brexit die tonight? on 14:25 - Sep 6 with 1069 viewsHighjack

Does Brexit die tonight? on 12:44 - Sep 6 by sherpajacob

The opposition parties are perfectly happy having a GE after 31 October.

Ask yourself why Johnson now wants one before 31/10, but not after.

Johnson said only a few days ago, he doesn't want a GE and neither do the people. For him it's Brexit on 31/10 "do or die", why on earth would opposition parties help him do.?

If the government want to end the stalemate, another referendum would do that better than a GE which would more than likely produce another hung parliament. Johnson says negotiations are progressing with the EU, so he could put what he's agreed with the EU to the people,......arf

The majority of the HoC simply don't trust Johnson, do you?

Edit.

Johnson now insisting he will get a deal, I wonder what that will look like, considering no new negotiations have yet taken place.
[Post edited 6 Sep 2019 13:07]

If labour/libs/chuk/snp win they could form a loose coalition government, they could extend, call a referendum or revoke to their hearts content.

They are running away from an election because they don’t think they can win.

There can be no other reason not to have one.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024