Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Leon steps down from sporting director role 08:10 - Jun 13 with 8641 viewsMrSwerve

https://www.swanseacity.com/news/leon-britton-relinquishes-sporting-director-rol

Poll: Decision day - who wins the PL title?

Leon steps down from sporting director role on 08:14 - Jun 13 with 6969 viewswaynekerr55

😪

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

Leon steps down from sporting director role on 08:16 - Jun 13 with 6955 viewsmagicdaps10

Cost cutting?
Another role lined up?

Very interesting.

Poll: Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City

Leon steps down from sporting director role on 08:29 - Jun 13 with 6885 viewsJinxy

Disagreement over deferral vs pay cut policy maybe? Wouldn't surprise me.
Leon steps down from sporting director role on 08:31 - Jun 13 with 6875 views34dfgdf54

Doesn’t seem right to me.
Leon steps down from sporting director role on 08:38 - Jun 13 with 6847 viewsNeath_Jack

Leon steps down from sporting director role on 08:16 - Jun 13 by magicdaps10

Cost cutting?
Another role lined up?

Very interesting.

Or he just wants to spend time away from the game, as he says in his interview.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

Leon steps down from sporting director role on 08:57 - Jun 13 with 6779 viewsWhiterockin

Leon steps down from sporting director role on 08:16 - Jun 13 by magicdaps10

Cost cutting?
Another role lined up?

Very interesting.

Or an advisor to the board who's advice wasn't being taken.
Leon steps down from sporting director role on 09:06 - Jun 13 with 6723 viewsmarchamjack

Let’s be honest (setting aside Leon’s legendary playing career with us which is completely beyond any reproach) what’s he done in the sporting director role, that we know of at least? Birch wheeled him out at one point to let us know about the potential loss of the academy (which I properly hated Birch for) but I’m genuinely struggling otherwise to know what Leon did in his role? Clearly a role in the future for Leon as a club ambassador if he ever wants it though 👍

Oh,..Dave, what's occuring?

Leon steps down from sporting director role on 09:30 - Jun 13 with 6610 viewsjack247

I’m not at all disappointed with this. I’m really not a fan of club legends being used to appease the fans. If he doesn’t like the way the club is going, doesn’t feel he has enough input or genuinely just wants to get away from football for a bit, I’m glad he’s walked.
Login to get fewer ads

Leon steps down from sporting director role on 10:06 - Jun 13 with 6506 viewsJackfath

Leon steps down from sporting director role on 09:30 - Jun 13 by jack247

I’m not at all disappointed with this. I’m really not a fan of club legends being used to appease the fans. If he doesn’t like the way the club is going, doesn’t feel he has enough input or genuinely just wants to get away from football for a bit, I’m glad he’s walked.

Yep. I feel he was brought in to appease the fans, make Mr Chairman look as though he really cares about the club/fans. Good move on his part.

Whatever the reasons (looking forward to the conspiracy theories) as usual I wish Leon all the very best in his next chapter.

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

Leon steps down from sporting director role on 10:13 - Jun 13 with 6493 viewsDarran

What was he actually doing then?
Apart from being involved in bringing in Steve Cooper who wasn’t the greatest appointment as far as our style of play goes I have no idea.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Leon steps down from sporting director role on 10:15 - Jun 13 with 6494 viewsjack247

Leon steps down from sporting director role on 10:06 - Jun 13 by Jackfath

Yep. I feel he was brought in to appease the fans, make Mr Chairman look as though he really cares about the club/fans. Good move on his part.

Whatever the reasons (looking forward to the conspiracy theories) as usual I wish Leon all the very best in his next chapter.

Agree with you completely. It’s uncanny how often in our recent history the best man for the job has happened to be a fan favourite.

Yes, from a PR point of view, Birch played a blinder all the way until he opted for a deferral instead of a temporary reduction, then tried to pull on season ticket holders heart strings.

Like you and I’m sure everyone else, wish Leon all the best with whatever he decides to do next.
Leon steps down from sporting director role on 10:50 - Jun 13 with 6384 viewsDr_Winston

Probably a cost cutting measure that Leon is happy to go along with and make it look like it's his call. Not sure why we needed him in the role in the first place to be honest as it's not like Birch doesn't have enough experience in running a football club.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Leon steps down from sporting director role on 11:14 - Jun 13 with 6314 viewsNotLoyal

Leon steps down from sporting director role on 08:38 - Jun 13 by Neath_Jack

Or he just wants to spend time away from the game, as he says in his interview.

He’s lucky he can afford it. A superb footballer who gained much from his time in Swansea, gave us all many memorable moments. His quality of life and that of his family is exceptional, and all down to his determination and effort. I don’t begrudge him a thing.

To be able to just stop working ( I use that phrase carefully ) and rely upon the millions he has earned from the Swansea community must be incredible. 99% of the area would love to do the same. I didn’t realise that half of the Swansea area is in poverty and using food banks. This isn’t Leon’s fault it’s a reflection on life today in Wales. The haves and have nots will always feature regardless of the times we live in. Through football, some players we have forgotten about in Swansea are set up for life. It’s the football system.

His contribution on the pitch is unquestionable. His time as an appeasement to the fans as sporting director was nothing more than that. An appeasement. It doesn’t surprise me he is walking away, he has probably learned much of the mindset of the majority owners during that time. His appointment was a joke in my opinion, nothing more.

My belief is that the iconic status people put these footballers in is pathetic, they are the same as all of us, but then I suppose a life of poverty requires some form of outlet to forget that you need to go cap in hand for tonight’s family meal. I see nothing from the players of Swansea giving anything back to the community, especially now when it is needed most. Some will say why should they ? Well, I say because these are the very people who made you and welcomed you to their city. Football is greedy, selfish and shockingly persuasive, even to the extent of Trevor Birch buying drinks for the fans and then he becomes a ‘good bloke’

No joint commitment from the club or the players from those who have millions set aside to do what Leon can do at his age has been made. Swansea are not a community club, they do not reflect the city or it’s people, they make no acknowledgement of the poverty that surrounds them. Not one player has formed any united front to support the area whatsoever.

I wish Leon well, I hope his life is enriched greatly for the time he spent at Swansea, and most of all I hope some day he and many others who can respond appropriately and in the right way. However, I doubt that very much.

OK I've changed it.
Poll: The FINALS : Poster of the year 2022

Leon steps down from sporting director role on 11:19 - Jun 13 with 6299 viewsBanosPerth

Leon steps down from sporting director role on 11:14 - Jun 13 by NotLoyal

He’s lucky he can afford it. A superb footballer who gained much from his time in Swansea, gave us all many memorable moments. His quality of life and that of his family is exceptional, and all down to his determination and effort. I don’t begrudge him a thing.

To be able to just stop working ( I use that phrase carefully ) and rely upon the millions he has earned from the Swansea community must be incredible. 99% of the area would love to do the same. I didn’t realise that half of the Swansea area is in poverty and using food banks. This isn’t Leon’s fault it’s a reflection on life today in Wales. The haves and have nots will always feature regardless of the times we live in. Through football, some players we have forgotten about in Swansea are set up for life. It’s the football system.

His contribution on the pitch is unquestionable. His time as an appeasement to the fans as sporting director was nothing more than that. An appeasement. It doesn’t surprise me he is walking away, he has probably learned much of the mindset of the majority owners during that time. His appointment was a joke in my opinion, nothing more.

My belief is that the iconic status people put these footballers in is pathetic, they are the same as all of us, but then I suppose a life of poverty requires some form of outlet to forget that you need to go cap in hand for tonight’s family meal. I see nothing from the players of Swansea giving anything back to the community, especially now when it is needed most. Some will say why should they ? Well, I say because these are the very people who made you and welcomed you to their city. Football is greedy, selfish and shockingly persuasive, even to the extent of Trevor Birch buying drinks for the fans and then he becomes a ‘good bloke’

No joint commitment from the club or the players from those who have millions set aside to do what Leon can do at his age has been made. Swansea are not a community club, they do not reflect the city or it’s people, they make no acknowledgement of the poverty that surrounds them. Not one player has formed any united front to support the area whatsoever.

I wish Leon well, I hope his life is enriched greatly for the time he spent at Swansea, and most of all I hope some day he and many others who can respond appropriately and in the right way. However, I doubt that very much.

Thank you, one of the best posts that I have read for a long time.
Leon steps down from sporting director role on 11:28 - Jun 13 with 6263 viewsDarran

Who wrote that for you? 🤷🏼‍♂️

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Leon steps down from sporting director role on 11:49 - Jun 13 with 6211 viewsCatullus

I'm just going to ignore the conspiracy theories and wish him all the best, whatever else may be going on I just know he gave me some great football memories.

I can't think of a better reason than wanting to spend time with his family, sounds like a promotion to me.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Leon steps down from sporting director role on 12:59 - Jun 13 with 6063 viewsOneill_77

Timing is all.

For Leon, leadership team, coaching staff and our young players especially.

The knowledge imparted, both on and off the pitch has been priceless for all. Our younger players have listened, observed, developed and grown immeasurably under Leon's tutelage, insight and intelligence.
Leon steps down from sporting director role on 13:09 - Jun 13 with 6036 viewsmonmouth

Leon steps down from sporting director role on 12:59 - Jun 13 by Oneill_77

Timing is all.

For Leon, leadership team, coaching staff and our young players especially.

The knowledge imparted, both on and off the pitch has been priceless for all. Our younger players have listened, observed, developed and grown immeasurably under Leon's tutelage, insight and intelligence.

Yeah Byers and Grimes have really learned how to pass and move,

Leon was fabulous as player, fabulous and got as Loyal said fabulously rewarded in return. Off the pitch, the square root of naff all, as is usual with the jobs for the boys brigade. Rangel would have been a better personality to have around the club than either Leon or Tatey, despite them being two of my favourite players, and Curt is light years ahead of all of them.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Leon steps down from sporting director role (n/t) on 13:11 - Jun 13 with 6029 viewsSwanzay

[Post edited 13 Jun 2020 13:11]
Leon steps down from sporting director role on 14:32 - Jun 13 with 5896 viewsLuther27

A brilliant analysis as far as I’m concerned. Well spoken.
Leon steps down from sporting director role on 15:10 - Jun 13 with 5822 viewsjack_lord

Excellent read.

The comparison of wages to what legends like Alan Curtis and Robbie James earned is stark. Cam you imagine these footballers taking jobs as a postman when they retire.

Leon is a modern legend and born at the right time to be able to consider his family and I don't think any one of us begrudge him a penny. I just couldn't imagine him being a malingerer either.

Lord_Jack increasingly detached from the riches of kicking a ball
Poll: The E U : Stay or Leave

Leon steps down from sporting director role on 15:35 - Jun 13 with 5788 viewsBadlands

What was his role?
I can see what Trundle does and Tate is active with training but Leon just seemed to be there.

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

Leon steps down from sporting director role on 15:54 - Jun 13 with 5750 viewsjacabertawe

Leon as part of a consortium to buy our Club?

Britishness...is a political synonym for Englishness which extends English culture over the Scots, the Welsh, and the Irish. - Gwynfor Evans

Leon steps down from sporting director role on 16:53 - Jun 13 with 5666 viewsNotLoyal

Leon steps down from sporting director role on 11:28 - Jun 13 by Darran

Who wrote that for you? 🤷🏼‍♂️

Not an author if that's what you are intimating.

OK I've changed it.
Poll: The FINALS : Poster of the year 2022

Leon steps down from sporting director role on 17:08 - Jun 13 with 5632 viewsNortbankboy

Wales on line stirring the shyte as usual
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024