Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Swansea City v Middlesbrough: Matchday Thread THE COLIN CONCLUSION 00:09 - Mar 4 with 15882 viewsNotLoyal

It’s another old head coming to the Liberty, Wacky Warnock, AKA Colin is on his way on his toy train and squeaky horn.

Swansea City v Middlesbrough
Saturday 6th March 2021
Liberty Stadium
Kick Off 3pm

Match Officials
GAVIN WARD
Adam Crysell and Matthew Jones
Fourth Official : Trevor Kettle

Fourth official Trevor Kettle is looking forward to meeting up with his old pal Alan Curtis, sometimes they laugh so much about Alan knowing where the kettle is they soil themselves and have to wash their hands. Alan of course is an MBE. ( Malted Biscuits Everytime )

LIVE ON SWANS TV & iFollow
AND

Middlesbrough blow hot and cold, it’s because they are from the north ish. There will be a full Friday round up and more tears from the clown to come.

Middlesbrough have a manager called Neil Warnock, Neil lives in Cornwall, which is not too far away from Middlesbrough. Neil has lived in Cornwall since before now, he recently lived there a lot due to the fact there wasn’t any football. But then, he didn’t have much football to do either, he was like a boat without a rudder, a car without a wheel, a biscuit without the chocolate. In fact he was like a man without a penis. Neil has a big penis, he waves it about a lot. On Thursdays he waves it about and on Saturday mornings. He calls his penis ‘ My elastic lasso’ Neil flys his own plane from Cornwall to Middlesbrough for training sessions, be bought it off John Travolta on a summer night. Bruce Dickinson taught him to fly last year in the lockdown. Apart from that Neil is pretty normal, although most of the time he isn’t. We like Neil. Be like Neil.

This is Neil’s favourite lasso penis swinger

Middlesbrough used to pass the ball to each other, now they don’t. Here is a brief history of the club. Neil Warnock has just signed a penis extension, we would like to congratulate him for that. In 1801, Middlesbrough was a small farm with a population of just 25; during the latter half of the 19th century, it experienced rapid growth. Like Neil’s penis. A Welsh community was established in Middlesbrough sometime before the 1840s, with mining being the main form of employment. Wales loves a mine. This Welsh population grew rapidly after 1841 when John Vaughan established the first ironworks on Teesside (The Vulcan Works) at Middlesbrough. Vaughan had worked his way up through the industry at the Dowlais Ironworks in south Wales and encouraged hundreds of the skilled Welsh workers to follow him to Teesside. These migrants ( migrants ? ) included three figures who would became important leaders in the commercial, political and cultural life of the town: If Middlesbrough had not done this they would still only have twenty five people living there.

Welsh miners in Teeside yesterday

Past games
Middlesbrough somehow won the last encounter at their place 2-1. It was in December. A memorable game was an FA Cup replay on the 17th January 1995, Swansea won 2-1 at then Ayresome Park. Oddly enough Linkin Park played Newcastle that night, but it wasn’t a game of football. The first game was in 1925 Swansea won 4-0 in a division two game. In 1926 Boro beat Swansea 7-1 which tells you there’s been a few goals about in this fixture, a cursory glance reveals more than twice the average goals have been scored for this amount of games. When the swans were going for promotion to the premier league in 2011 they won 3-4 at Middlesbrough and Craig Beattie scored, he ran and ran and ran when he scored, and was never seen again. Then manager Paulo Sousa said ‘ Ive never seen him run before, and anyway I don’t sign players’

The last picture ever taken of Craig Beattie running. He had never run anywhere before. Even Mark from ‘the’ Gower couldn’t catch him

Swans Record v Boro
Games won: 18
Games drawn: 11
Games lost: 20

They played for both sides
This is a topical preview most football programmes carry in their content.

They didn’t play for both sides

Paul Gascoinge in Facestretcher sorry, Pounstretcher last week

Stats are the future, and also include the last, that’s why we have stats on here for you to analyse and be happy about.

Digi programme for today’s game.

https://issuu.com/swanseacityafc/docs/swans-20-21-middlesbrough-digital-programm

Neil Warnock’s view on coming back to South Wales 6th Mar 2021 11:51
He’s not the most popular manager to bring a team to the Liberty this season, well, until ‘that fixture’ returns in a few weeks. Today Neil Warnock brings a resurgent Middlesbrough side to Swansea looking to attack, get as much out of the game as possible, and as we all know - by any means necessary. 0

Team News To Follow

And here it is.

Swansea City: Freddie Woodman; Connor Roberts, Kyle Naughton, Ben Cabango, Marc Guehi, Ryan Manning; Korey Smith, Jay Fulton, Matt Grimes (captain), Conor Hourihane; Andre Ayew.

Substitutes: Ben Hamer, Joel Latibeaudiere, Ryan Bennett, Jake Bidwell, Jamal Lowe, Yan Dhanda, Ollie Cooper, Morgan Whittaker, Paul Arriola.

Middlesbrough: Marcus Bettinelli, Anfernee Dijksteel, Grant Hall, Sam Morsy, Dael Fry, Yannick Bolasie, Jonny Howson (captain), Paddy McNair, Duncan Watmore, George Saville, Marc Bola.

Substitutes: Jordan Archer, Chuba Akpom, Marvin Johnson, Djed Spence, Neeskens Kebano, Darnell Fisher, Nathaniel Mendez-Laing.

Referee: Gavin Ward

And here it was

Swansea sneak it again in a replay of Wednesday night : Warnock’s tactics backfire 6th Mar 2021 19:17
Just how this game ended in a swans win is totally beyond any comprehension as referee Gavin Ward awarded a last minute injury time penalty to Swansea in a replay of Wednesday nights win at Stoke. Neil Warnock shouting and running around like a spoilt man child at the end was the icing on the cake as Cooper’s side won a game they were possibly lucky at one time to earn a point from. However, it’s persistence, even when the team is as poor as it was again today which seems to be the winning formula. 2

This post has been edited by an administrator

OK I've changed it.
Poll: The FINALS : Poster of the year 2022

Swansea City v Middlesbrough: Matchday Thread GAME DAY ! on 18:46 - Mar 6 with 1525 viewsjohnlangy

Swansea City v Middlesbrough: Matchday Thread GAME DAY ! on 18:44 - Mar 6 by jackrabbit

Fulton was standing too far off him.

Hopefully Ryan Bennett will be fit enough to start on Tuesday.

Apart from being chuffed at the three points that's the only constructive thing I can think to say.
Swansea City v Middlesbrough: Matchday Thread GAME DAY ! on 19:05 - Mar 6 with 1450 viewsTreforys_Jack

I'd be tamping if both major decisions went against us, but on reflection and multiple replays both were absolutely spot on. The disallowed goal was a fantastic call, Bolasie's knee collides into the back of Fulton so first foil was the Boro player, end of conversation.
Referee needs commending for getting it right, knowing the pressure he was going to be coming under from Colin.
Swansea City v Middlesbrough: Matchday Thread GAME DAY ! on 19:05 - Mar 6 with 1448 viewsswancity

Bit fortunate today

A game of few chances they had 8 to our 5 yrs only five goal attempts today with three on target

Possession more or less equal with one corner for us and 7 to them

On balance we didn’t deserve the 3 points today but then last Sat our 21 goal attempts gave us no points

Anyone know how the ref gave us a corner initially then a penalty ? Quite possibly a pen as Bidwell got there quickly from Jamals excellent pull back. And he made a difference didn’t he.

Not a good performance with the ball today. Smith was quiet and we couldn’t get going...

Only an idiot would eat a turkey curry on Christmas day

Swansea City v Middlesbrough: Matchday Thread GAME DAY ! on 19:06 - Mar 6 with 1447 viewsTreforys_Jack

Swansea City v Middlesbrough: Matchday Thread GAME DAY ! on 17:11 - Mar 6 by pencoedjack

Indeed be a few disappointed on here tonight

Someone check on Dwight
Swansea City v Middlesbrough: Matchday Thread GAME DAY ! on 19:10 - Mar 6 with 1432 viewsDJack

Swansea City v Middlesbrough: Matchday Thread GAME DAY ! on 19:06 - Mar 6 by Treforys_Jack

Someone check on Dwight

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

Swansea City v Middlesbrough: Matchday Thread GAME DAY ! on 19:10 - Mar 6 with 1429 viewsJoe_bradshaw

Swansea City v Middlesbrough: Matchday Thread GAME DAY ! on 17:57 - Mar 6 by jasper_T

Didn't Cooper say similar earlier in the season? Only against us rather than for.

No.

Not even close although it cost him £3500 so it was expensive. At no time did he suggest that a club conspired with the EFL referees group to cheat.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

Swansea City v Middlesbrough: Matchday Thread GAME DAY ! on 19:42 - Mar 6 with 1343 viewsKeithHaynes

Swansea sneak it again in a replay of Wednesday night : Warnock’s tactics backfire 6th Mar 2021 19:17
Just how this game ended in a swans win is totally beyond any comprehension as referee Gavin Ward awarded a last minute injury time penalty to Swansea in a replay of Wednesday nights win at Stoke. Neil Warnock shouting and running around like a spoilt man child at the end was the icing on the cake as Cooper’s side won a game they were possibly lucky at one time to earn a point from. However, it’s persistence, even when the team is as poor as it was again today which seems to be the winning formula. 2

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Swansea City v Middlesbrough: Matchday Thread GAME DAY ! on 20:56 - Mar 6 with 1221 viewsBadlands

Swansea City v Middlesbrough: Matchday Thread GAME DAY ! on 18:46 - Mar 6 by johnlangy

Hopefully Ryan Bennett will be fit enough to start on Tuesday.

Apart from being chuffed at the three points that's the only constructive thing I can think to say.

IMO Bennett has to fight for a recall.
Naughton Cabango and Guehi should start again.
The experiment of shoehorning Grimes and Hourihane together isn't working in any formation.

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

Login to get fewer ads

Swansea City v Middlesbrough: Matchday Thread GAME DAY ! on 21:02 - Mar 6 with 1212 viewsnantywatcher

Swansea City v Middlesbrough: Matchday Thread GAME DAY ! on 20:56 - Mar 6 by Badlands

The experiment of shoehorning Grimes and Hourihane together isn't working in any formation.

I hope all those posters who pushed the the idea of CH playing behind AA accept it was an awful idea, hopefully never to be repeated.
Swansea City v Middlesbrough: Matchday Thread GAME DAY ! on 21:07 - Mar 6 with 1203 viewsTreforys_Jack

Swansea City v Middlesbrough: Matchday Thread GAME DAY ! on 21:02 - Mar 6 by nantywatcher

I hope all those posters who pushed the the idea of CH playing behind AA accept it was an awful idea, hopefully never to be repeated.

Don't think we should be starting with CH in any formation tbh.
Swansea City v Middlesbrough: Matchday Thread GAME DAY ! on 21:08 - Mar 6 with 1202 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Swansea City v Middlesbrough: Matchday Thread GAME DAY ! on 21:02 - Mar 6 by nantywatcher

CH should have made way for Lowe not Korey Smith,

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Swansea City v Middlesbrough: Matchday Thread GAME DAY ! on 21:09 - Mar 6 with 1199 viewsmax936

Thought he was awful 1st half, but they were all mostly bad 2nd half, Brough upped the tempo and we sat back in hope, we had no out ball either, borough used their 5 subs, we used 2, why didn't he give Arriola or Whittaker a runout, we keep playing virtually the same system whatever the game situation is.
[Post edited 6 Mar 2021 21:10]

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

Swansea City v Middlesbrough: Matchday Thread GAME DAY ! on 22:13 - Mar 6 with 1108 viewsBadlands

Swansea City v Middlesbrough: Matchday Thread GAME DAY ! on 21:07 - Mar 6 by Treforys_Jack

Don't think we should be starting with CH in any formation tbh.

I thought he was slow but today he showed himself to be on the sluggish side of pedestrian.

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

Swansea City v Middlesbrough: Matchday Thread GAME DAY ! on 22:21 - Mar 6 with 1084 views34dfgdf54

Swansea City v Middlesbrough: Matchday Thread GAME DAY ! on 18:29 - Mar 6 by Brynmill_Jack

TBH I was surprised when Smith was hooked instead of CH.

I was more than surprised, I nearly collapsed.
Swansea City v Middlesbrough: Matchday Thread GAME DAY ! on 22:23 - Mar 6 with 1084 viewsLittleEnglandJack

Swansea City v Middlesbrough: Matchday Thread GAME DAY ! on 20:56 - Mar 6 by Badlands

I'm sorry but no. Bennett walks into our defence every time he's fit. We're a much less solid unit without him
Swansea City v Middlesbrough: Matchday Thread GAME DAY ! on 22:24 - Mar 6 with 1073 viewsDr_Parnassus

Cooper said he would have loved to have made the changes Boro did and the options and investment they have sat there on the bench.

Whilst it’s obvious that we are relying on a limited group of players, he clearly feels what we have on the bench is worse than the tiring core players.

He sees them every day in training I suppose and it’s not a computer game where you just swap who you like, there are many other reasons for subs beyond tactics.

Smith for example has just come off an injury lay off and may not have the match fitness for 2 games in 4 days. Manning and Bidwell were rotated successfully, the latter being a key part in the winner.

Had CH been subbed knowing KS had to come off soon anyway, it would have changed the whole dynamic of our midfield making 2 changes there, not necessarily for the better.
[Post edited 6 Mar 2021 23:31]

Swansea Independent Poster of the Year 2021 and 2022.
Poll: Would you swap Ayew for Piroe?

Swansea City v Middlesbrough: Matchday Thread GAME DAY ! on 22:32 - Mar 6 with 1058 viewsDr_Winston

We aren't relying on a limited group of players. Our manager is choosing to only consistently select a few. There's a difference.
[Post edited 6 Mar 2021 22:32]

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Swansea City v Middlesbrough: Matchday Thread GAME DAY ! on 22:35 - Mar 6 with 1053 viewsLittleEnglandJack

Swansea City v Middlesbrough: Matchday Thread GAME DAY ! on 22:21 - Mar 6 by 34dfgdf54

I was more than surprised, I nearly collapsed.

I agree l, but I can see why he did it. Smith was way too often (especially 2nd half) our most advanced player even though he's a defensive midfield player.
Swansea City v Middlesbrough: Matchday Thread GAME DAY ! on 22:59 - Mar 6 with 997 viewsmax936

I'm struggling to understand our mentality in games, moreso the games we're winning, we seem to have a mentality of job done and just sit back, I realise the other team raise their game, but still, direction as to come from the manager, but he's like a wet lettuce on the side-lines more often than not, he's a great coach of players you can see that, but as a tactician and as a manager to manage games I'm struggling to offer him any praise, yet we're bang on target for possible promotion, which is as baffling as it is great.

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

Swansea City v Middlesbrough: Matchday Thread FRIDAY FRIDAY ! on 23:24 - Mar 6 with 969 viewsAndyCole

Swansea City v Middlesbrough: Matchday Thread FRIDAY FRIDAY ! on 23:08 - Mar 5 by AndyCole

With Manning, CH and Grimes, 3-1-4-1-1 . CH behind Ayew.

Grimes bosses from deep, Smith dogs, Fulton dogs and links, RM and CR wreak havoc up, down, inside, outside.

CH bosses from high, shapes the front-half. Talisman Ayew finishes, leads the line, leads our high defence, along with CH who has some celtic bite despite what some detractors say. Our very own celtic Hoddle, with the bit between his teeth right now.

Add finishers Lowe and Whitaker who work their socks off to underpin our resilient, driving confidence in securing a win. Which is our biggest edge over most teams in this league and the biggest edge we have had under any manager in quite some time. Our belief and self confidence is unrivalled.

A devastating line up and Wily Warnock will be cacking himself when he reads this.

Played out as planned. Clever rotation and deployment of finishers.

Warnock's giants were tougher than expected 2nd half. We dug deep and leveraged our biggest ever edge of toughing it out, controlled defending (even without Bennett), inner belief, confidence and superior talent. On and off the pitch.

Cooper now outfoxing some of the very wiliest. Wily Warnock absolutely cacked himself.

Pro free speech and alternative opinions - Anti gang-bullying and poor modding thereof - Will always make a stand against those who consistently choose to turn a blind eye

Swansea City v Middlesbrough: Matchday Thread GAME DAY ! on 23:30 - Mar 6 with 957 viewsDr_Parnassus

Swansea City v Middlesbrough: Matchday Thread GAME DAY ! on 22:32 - Mar 6 by Dr_Winston

We aren't relying on a limited group of players. Our manager is choosing to only consistently select a few. There's a difference.
[Post edited 6 Mar 2021 22:32]

There isn’t, you can’t rely on someone if they aren’t playing.... and they aren’t playing for a reason.

We are relying on a select group of players because those are the ones deemed good enough by the management team to be trusted with a spot on the pitch. Cooper openly said today in the presser that he doesn’t have the resources he would like.

That says that although you think players should be on the pitch... he doesn’t. The fact we are 3rd with 2 games in hand based on his decisions, suggests he may be correct.

Swansea City v Middlesbrough: Matchday Thread GAME DAY ! on 23:38 - Mar 6 with 941 viewsDr_Parnassus

Swansea City v Middlesbrough: Matchday Thread GAME DAY ! on 22:59 - Mar 6 by max936

I'm struggling to understand our mentality in games, moreso the games we're winning, we seem to have a mentality of job done and just sit back, I realise the other team raise their game, but still, direction as to come from the manager, but he's like a wet lettuce on the side-lines more often than not, he's a great coach of players you can see that, but as a tactician and as a manager to manage games I'm struggling to offer him any praise, yet we're bang on target for possible promotion, which is as baffling as it is great.

And yet if we streamed forward and the game turned into a gun slinging shootout he would be criticised for not being conservative should the lead be lost.

I’m struggling to see how some posters on Planetswans truly think they have better tactical nous than a professional football manager who is one of the favourites to be promoted to the Premier League after reaching the play offs the year before and won the World Cup for England youths.

There is nuance around squads and changes. It’s not a case of “swap him for him mun”.

There are knock on effects in other areas, certain players may not compliment each other well, fitness issues, doctors suggestions, niggling injuries etc etc etc the list is endless. This is why those that see the players every day and know the ins and outs of personal capabilities are trusted with decisions.
[Post edited 7 Mar 2021 0:01]

Swansea City v Middlesbrough: Matchday Thread GAME DAY ! on 23:43 - Mar 6 with 932 viewsAndyCole

Swansea City v Middlesbrough: Matchday Thread GAME DAY ! on 23:30 - Mar 6 by Dr_Parnassus

There isn’t, you can’t rely on someone if they aren’t playing.... and they aren’t playing for a reason.

We are relying on a select group of players because those are the ones deemed good enough by the management team to be trusted with a spot on the pitch. Cooper openly said today in the presser that he doesn’t have the resources he would like.

That says that although you think players should be on the pitch... he doesn’t. The fact we are 3rd with 2 games in hand based on his decisions, suggests he may be correct.

Spot on Dr. Facts speak for themselves, always.

It seems some of the usuals are only happy when we struggle to win, lose or worst of all feel they have proved some meaningless point, on the internet, to themselves.

Imagine if we'd lost.

Pro free speech and alternative opinions - Anti gang-bullying and poor modding thereof - Will always make a stand against those who consistently choose to turn a blind eye

Swansea City v Middlesbrough: Matchday Thread GAME DAY ! on 23:52 - Mar 6 with 918 viewsDr_Parnassus

Swansea City v Middlesbrough: Matchday Thread GAME DAY ! on 23:43 - Mar 6 by AndyCole

Spot on Dr. Facts speak for themselves, always.

It seems some of the usuals are only happy when we struggle to win, lose or worst of all feel they have proved some meaningless point, on the internet, to themselves.

Imagine if we'd lost.

Our squad is painfully thin, I said it pre season and I maintain that today. We still don’t have a recognised striker with any experience for example and haven’t had one all season.

If one of our core defenders is unfit we have to play a right back there or rely on a young kid with almost no experience. We have a winger up front or play another kid with almost zero experience.

We have done very well to cobble together a side, but anyone looking at the bench thinking they are in any way equals to those in the usual playing staff then they are sadly mistaken. Then there are obvious tactical no no’s like playing Dhanda against a Warnock side, the game would pass him by.

After that you aren’t left with much.
[Post edited 6 Mar 2021 23:54]

Swansea City v Middlesbrough: Matchday Thread GAME DAY ! on 07:37 - Mar 7 with 793 views34dfgdf54

Swansea City v Middlesbrough: Matchday Thread GAME DAY ! on 23:52 - Mar 6 by Dr_Parnassus

Our squad is painfully thin, I said it pre season and I maintain that today. We still don’t have a recognised striker with any experience for example and haven’t had one all season.

If one of our core defenders is unfit we have to play a right back there or rely on a young kid with almost no experience. We have a winger up front or play another kid with almost zero experience.

We have done very well to cobble together a side, but anyone looking at the bench thinking they are in any way equals to those in the usual playing staff then they are sadly mistaken. Then there are obvious tactical no no’s like playing Dhanda against a Warnock side, the game would pass him by.

After that you aren’t left with much.
[Post edited 6 Mar 2021 23:54]

We spent £700k on Whittaker, half way through a season we are targeting top 2, there’s no excuses.

If we are that desperate for an out an out 9, and usually be firmly in “no chance” camp for this one, is it time to give Bony a short term pay as you play deal? He’s living in city.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024