Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Swansea City v Barnsley : Matchday Thread 21/22 UPDATED 02:41 - Apr 12 with 16446 viewsNotLoyal

It’s the a Good Friday game, and the chance for another doube. Yes, the doube is on again. Not like the Cardiff doube, but a doube all the same.

This thread has been brought to you by ‘Doube’ The history making word with one L of an impact.

The Officials
ANDY WOOLMER 👀
Robert Hyde and Natalie Aspinall
Fourth Official : Charles Breakspear

First Swans game Woolmer officiates this season, he is the referee Steve Cooper made allegations against of having issues with him and Swansea City. He was the fourth official which brought about a whole lot of touchline reporting when Ryan Manning was sent off against Fulham. Thereafter he was involved in reporting Swansea City for a variety of infringements on and off the pitch. Despite Fulham committing similar and in some cases far worse touchline issues which were overlooked. Let’s hope Woolmer comes to Swansea with clarity and an independent view.

Latest **

Swansea City play against a team today who have won one game away all season 15th Apr 2022 10:48
Barnsley visit the Swansea.com today in a similar position to Derby County last weekend. They simply are running out of game time to save their season. Some will say that ship has long sailed and the tykes will merely play out their remaining games with only prove at stake. 0

Swansea City: Andy Fisher; Ben Cabango, Kyle Naughton, Joel Latibeaudiere; Cyrus Christie, Jay Fulton, Matt Grimes (captain), Hannes Wolf; Joel Piroe, Jamie Paterson; Michael Obafemi.

Substitutes: Ben Hamer, Ryan Manning, Korey Smith, Olivier Ntcham, Kyle Joseph, Nathanael Ogbeta, Cameron Congreve.

Barnsley: Jack Walton, Liam Kitching, Mads Andersen (captain), Callum Brittain, Carlton Morris, Claudio Gomes, Romal Palmer, Remy Vita, Amine Bassi, Domingos Quina, Matty Wolfe.

Substitutes: Daniel Jinadu, Callum Styles, Cauley Woodrow, Aaron Leya Iseka, Jasper Moon, William Hondermarck, Victor Adeboyejo.

This post has been edited by an administrator

OK I've changed it.
Poll: The FINALS : Poster of the year 2022

Swansea City v Barnsley : Matchday Thread 21/22 UPDATED on 23:42 - Apr 13 with 1211 viewsmagicdaps10

Swansea City v Barnsley : Matchday Thread 21/22 UPDATED on 23:34 - Apr 13 by AndyCole

As per, you're talking gobbledegook again Daps. With all due respect, at the very least get your chronology sorted so we have some chance of following your waffle. And you math is way off.

Logical, in a transishun season was blooding our own very best resources. The rich vein we have out on loan and in the 23s. Unprofessional is precisely how we have been to date, with the abundance (# and £) of signings and talent at our disposal.

So you would start Ogbeta and Joseph Friday?!
Alright then!

Its all well and good blooding our own but if they are not up to it or ready then it's a complete waste.
[Post edited 14 Apr 2022 0:04]

Poll: Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City

Swansea City v Barnsley : Matchday Thread 21/22 UPDATED on 23:45 - Apr 13 with 1181 viewsDr_Parnassus

Swansea City v Barnsley : Matchday Thread 21/22 UPDATED on 23:33 - Apr 13 by magicdaps10

I would agree with you Jasp but as I said previously, Saturday could open up a play off push so it's very much an important game with quite a lot to play for if we get the 3 points.

It would be unprofessional to change a team that has been on a terrific run with a player yet to start a game for us when there is still so much to play for in this game.

Ogbeta and Joseph's time will come but just not Saturday.

You are where we all were 4-5 months ago. Remember when we went on a really good run, playing sensible direct football with a settled side?

Then he changed it, both the defensive personnel and back to the short passing high possession game and we went on a horrendous run as a result. Remember?

It was out opinion that changing something that clearly works to revert back to something that doesn’t when we could still make play offs was highly frustrating.

You now appear to agree with us that we were right to state those things, as (as per usual) you are now stating the exact thing we were saying months ago.

“Don’t change a winning formula, team and style”.

Stick with ups Daps, you won’t go far wrong.

Swansea Independent Poster of the Year 2021 and 2022.
Poll: Would you swap Ayew for Piroe?

Swansea City v Barnsley : Matchday Thread 21/22 UPDATED on 23:57 - Apr 13 with 1171 viewsYouBackJastard

Swansea City v Barnsley : Matchday Thread 21/22 UPDATED on 23:45 - Apr 13 by Dr_Parnassus

You are where we all were 4-5 months ago. Remember when we went on a really good run, playing sensible direct football with a settled side?

Then he changed it, both the defensive personnel and back to the short passing high possession game and we went on a horrendous run as a result. Remember?

It was out opinion that changing something that clearly works to revert back to something that doesn’t when we could still make play offs was highly frustrating.

You now appear to agree with us that we were right to state those things, as (as per usual) you are now stating the exact thing we were saying months ago.

Would be nice if we could be unified in our praise for the way the club is being run right now after a brilliant run of games instead of using this opportunity to take shots at others in our fanbase who go to games and love this club just as much as you do to say ‘i told you so’.
Swansea City v Barnsley : Matchday Thread 21/22 UPDATED on 00:01 - Apr 14 with 1168 viewsSTID2017

Swansea City v Barnsley : Matchday Thread 21/22 UPDATED on 23:57 - Apr 13 by YouBackJastard

Would be nice if we could be unified in our praise for the way the club is being run right now after a brilliant run of games instead of using this opportunity to take shots at others in our fanbase who go to games and love this club just as much as you do to say ‘i told you so’.

Excellent post

"Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination" - Mark Twain
Poll: Who Would You Want As Captain For Swans ?

Swansea City v Barnsley : Matchday Thread 21/22 UPDATED on 00:03 - Apr 14 with 1167 viewsmagicdaps10

Swansea City v Barnsley : Matchday Thread 21/22 UPDATED on 23:45 - Apr 13 by Dr_Parnassus

I have stated that we be logical and not tinker with such an important game at hand, I don't think it can be compared to games 4/5months ago.
Its hardly the exact thing because the situations and timing are different for starters.

Ennlighten me to the run of games you are referring too? We can then check over what changes he made in the back 3 after that run.
I can only guess the run you are talking about October/November time when we beat Cardiff and WBA, he replaced Cabango with Manning and we lost at Brum....then went on to beat Peterbrough and Coventry with the same back 3 as when we played Brum.
[Post edited 14 Apr 2022 0:07]

Swansea City v Barnsley : Matchday Thread 21/22 UPDATED on 00:16 - Apr 14 with 1147 viewsmagicdaps10

Swansea City v Barnsley : Matchday Thread 21/22 UPDATED on 00:03 - Apr 14 by magicdaps10

I have stated that we be logical and not tinker with such an important game at hand, I don't think it can be compared to games 4/5months ago.
Its hardly the exact thing because the situations and timing are different for starters.

Ennlighten me to the run of games you are referring too? We can then check over what changes he made in the back 3 after that run.
I can only guess the run you are talking about October/November time when we beat Cardiff and WBA, he replaced Cabango with Manning and we lost at Brum....then went on to beat Peterbrough and Coventry with the same back 3 as when we played Brum.

Just checked back through the results and the run you refer to is clearly the one I mention.

I would hardly call bringing in an established first teamer with international experience, I may add it was just the one change, that was then proven to be a good call with. 2 follow up wins the same as bringing in 2 players from lower leagues for their first start with no injuries or suspensions for a game that could potentially open up a play off push the same.

Its just ludicrous that you are comparing the 2 as being the same and stating that I agree with you on something from an example that you have clearly got wrong.

Swansea City v Barnsley : Matchday Thread 21/22 UPDATED on 00:17 - Apr 14 with 1138 viewsAndyCole

Back on topic, the matchday thread : We must stick with our winning formula in midfield, the very essence of our confident set-up. Grimes:Fults ,is it.

Here's my prediction for our last game, against Derby:

'Same again from the boys. The big difference last time out was the fluidity, confidence and go-fwd in midfield.
Far better balance with the Fults-Grimes symbiotic axis re-established.
Grimes' confidence was oozing with that solid core, which rubbed off on his entire troop. Shackles were off and gone were the superfluous, stagnating tippy tappy 3 yd interchanges we've been bored with.

Same team, same go-fwd intent, 2-1.

Reversion to pointless possession obsession, 1-3. '

We therefore must stick with Grimes' winning formula, with Fults aiding and abetting.

Downes, if fit can be brought on in the dying embers (with strict instruction not to concede a penalty)

Pro free speech and alternative opinions - Anti gang-bullying and poor modding thereof - Will always make a stand against those who consistently choose to turn a blind eye

Swansea City v Barnsley : Matchday Thread 21/22 UPDATED on 00:40 - Apr 14 with 1118 viewsDr_Parnassus

Swansea City v Barnsley : Matchday Thread 21/22 UPDATED on 00:03 - Apr 14 by magicdaps10

What do you mean no change? You just stated it, changing Manning for Cabango changed the whole balance of a 3 man defence.

Want me to do a long ball analysis over that period and the downward period after?

You won’t like it…

Login to get fewer ads

Swansea City v Barnsley : Matchday Thread 21/22 UPDATED on 00:44 - Apr 14 with 1113 viewsDr_Parnassus

Swansea City v Barnsley : Matchday Thread 21/22 UPDATED on 00:17 - Apr 14 by AndyCole

Back on topic, the matchday thread : We must stick with our winning formula in midfield, the very essence of our confident set-up. Grimes:Fults ,is it.

Here's my prediction for our last game, against Derby:

'Same again from the boys. The big difference last time out was the fluidity, confidence and go-fwd in midfield.
Far better balance with the Fults-Grimes symbiotic axis re-established.
Grimes' confidence was oozing with that solid core, which rubbed off on his entire troop. Shackles were off and gone were the superfluous, stagnating tippy tappy 3 yd interchanges we've been bored with.

Same team, same go-fwd intent, 2-1.

Reversion to pointless possession obsession, 1-3. '

We therefore must stick with Grimes' winning formula, with Fults aiding and abetting.

Downes, if fit can be brought on in the dying embers (with strict instruction not to concede a penalty)

Agree.

This is a bit of an anomaly match. We can play Martinball in this one and win, maybe not by as much if we played our recent brand of football, but it would still be good enough to beat them. Like it showed in the away game, which bordered on the ridiculous.

I think 2-0. But a perfect performance for me would be to continue our ruthless direct approach, we could see them off 4-0 if so, they really are bad. Similar to Peterborough.

I want to be going into the trickier last 4 games well versed in this successful way of playing and personally not a fan of reverting back to Martinball every handful of wins.

Swansea City v Barnsley : Matchday Thread 21/22 UPDATED on 05:29 - Apr 14 with 1064 views73__73

Swansea City v Barnsley : Matchday Thread 21/22 UPDATED on 00:44 - Apr 14 by Dr_Parnassus

Agree.

This is a bit of an anomaly match. We can play Martinball in this one and win, maybe not by as much if we played our recent brand of football, but it would still be good enough to beat them. Like it showed in the away game, which bordered on the ridiculous.

I think 2-0. But a perfect performance for me would be to continue our ruthless direct approach, we could see them off 4-0 if so, they really are bad. Similar to Peterborough.

I want to be going into the trickier last 4 games well versed in this successful way of playing and personally not a fan of reverting back to Martinball every handful of wins.

So if we play well we may win and if we play bad we may lose
Score may maybe 4-0 score maybe 2-0.

Poll: Should Swansea expand its concourses, to accommodate fans of big clubs

Swansea City v Barnsley : Matchday Thread 21;22 on 05:32 - Apr 14 with 1063 views73__73

Swansea City v Barnsley : Matchday Thread 21;22 on 23:39 - Apr 13 by Dr_Parnassus

Being there makes no difference. I will witness the same 90 mins as the minority of Swansea fans in attendance.

Well I’m happy to be in the minority and actually be at the stadium supporting the club.
👌

Poll: Should Swansea expand its concourses, to accommodate fans of big clubs

Swansea City v Barnsley : Matchday Thread 21/22 UPDATED on 05:41 - Apr 14 with 1057 viewsvetchonian

Swansea City v Barnsley : Matchday Thread 21/22 UPDATED on 23:13 - Apr 13 by magicdaps10

It won't happen because a win on Friday could really open up the curtains for a possible play off push.
A win Saturday and there is a possibility we could be 5 points off the play offs with a game in hand so it would be silly to go playing about with experiments.

I think we have to be logical with what is at hand here, it would certainly be unprofessional to go tinkering especially with a big expectant crowd.... Lose and the next game will then be the time to blood a few.

what happened to patience and season of transition
Surely now is the time to test Ogebeta and Joseph

How will we know if these guys will be suitable for next season

I'm really surprised by thos sudden optimism of a play off push....whilst mathematically we can achieve sufficient points we still need lots of other results to go our way and we have a massive goal difference to overhaul.
If we gave spent the last 40 games in transition surely it would make sense now to use the rest of the season in the same way...especially against a team such as Barnsley

Poll: Will CCFC win a game this season?

Swansea City v Barnsley : Matchday Thread 21;22 on 07:29 - Apr 14 with 1012 viewsDr_Parnassus

Swansea City v Barnsley : Matchday Thread 21;22 on 05:32 - Apr 14 by 73__73

Well I’m happy to be in the minority and actually be at the stadium supporting the club.
👌

So you keep saying, what point you think you are making though, I am not quite sure.

Swansea City v Barnsley : Matchday Thread 21/22 UPDATED on 07:29 - Apr 14 with 1006 viewsDr_Parnassus

Swansea City v Barnsley : Matchday Thread 21/22 UPDATED on 05:29 - Apr 14 by 73__73

So if we play well we may win and if we play bad we may lose
Score may maybe 4-0 score maybe 2-0.

No idea what that means.

Swansea City v Barnsley : Matchday Thread 21/22 UPDATED on 08:32 - Apr 14 with 985 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Swansea City v Barnsley : Matchday Thread 21/22 UPDATED on 22:49 - Apr 13 by jasper_T

I'd love to see us rotate given it's the easiest game we have remaining on paper. At home against a poor side with another game on Monday - if we can't show faith in Ogbeta and Joseph now then why did we spend all that money?

We should play our best team against both Barnsley and Reading. Why should we play weaker teams against relegation candidates not sure that would be fair on Derby or Peterborough.

After that we can see where we are in the table and maybe introduce youngsters in the other games either as substitutes or starters.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Swansea City v Barnsley : Matchday Thread 21/22 UPDATED on 09:30 - Apr 14 with 946 viewsmagicdaps10

Swansea City v Barnsley : Matchday Thread 21/22 UPDATED on 00:40 - Apr 14 by Dr_Parnassus

What do you mean no change? You just stated it, changing Manning for Cabango changed the whole balance of a 3 man defence.

Want me to do a long ball analysis over that period and the downward period after?

You won’t like it…

I didn't type there was no change, I just stated that after a 2 game run in the period you refer too that he brought Manning in, we lost the next game, he stuck with Manning and won the next 2 games!

Its no need to elaborate on the run after it because you were just highlighting that run yourself so only need to focus on what you were talking about.

Focusing on that run of games you allude too, still waiting for you to confirm it was that run I suggested I believe you were referring to, could you confirm it was that period? I just want to know I am on the same page as you.

The fact that this debate is brought up to the fact that I stated we shouldn't think on starting Ogbeta and or Joseph considering the importance this game could have in opening up a real play off push.... Would you consider starting either or both?

Now if we were talking about bringing Downes, Manning or even Hamer in then that would be a more sensible thought that I am sure both you and I could agree on but the suggestion to bring in Joseph or Ogteba would surely raise a few questions or concerns.

Let's not lose the context of what was originally being discussed when you jumped on board rather than make it into who is right or wrong.

Ogteba and/or Joseph starting Saturday? Yes/No.

Swansea City v Barnsley : Matchday Thread 21/22 UPDATED on 09:40 - Apr 14 with 921 viewsDr_Parnassus

Swansea City v Barnsley : Matchday Thread 21/22 UPDATED on 09:30 - Apr 14 by magicdaps10

I didn't type there was no change, I just stated that after a 2 game run in the period you refer too that he brought Manning in, we lost the next game, he stuck with Manning and won the next 2 games!

Its no need to elaborate on the run after it because you were just highlighting that run yourself so only need to focus on what you were talking about.

Focusing on that run of games you allude too, still waiting for you to confirm it was that run I suggested I believe you were referring to, could you confirm it was that period? I just want to know I am on the same page as you.

The fact that this debate is brought up to the fact that I stated we shouldn't think on starting Ogbeta and or Joseph considering the importance this game could have in opening up a real play off push.... Would you consider starting either or both?

Now if we were talking about bringing Downes, Manning or even Hamer in then that would be a more sensible thought that I am sure both you and I could agree on but the suggestion to bring in Joseph or Ogteba would surely raise a few questions or concerns.

Let's not lose the context of what was originally being discussed when you jumped on board rather than make it into who is right or wrong.

Ogteba and/or Joseph starting Saturday? Yes/No.

It wasn't. It was brought up with regards to you saying we shouldn't be changing a winning formula.

That is exactly what we were saying when Martin changed the system before Xmas to go on our good run. He then reverted to type and went back to 80% possession and 800 passes a game and getting smashed as a result.

Forest 4-1 defeat being the crowning glory in the return to Martinball. 75% possession, almost 700 passes and 4% long balls. 29 long balls all match. 29 (?!).

Anyone who thinks that its due to the opposition parking the bus can use this match to show that is not the case at all. We had 4 shots on target they had 5.

Swansea City v Barnsley : Matchday Thread 21/22 UPDATED on 10:38 - Apr 14 with 888 viewsjasper_T

Swansea City v Barnsley : Matchday Thread 21/22 UPDATED on 08:32 - Apr 14 by felixstowe_jack

We should play our best team against both Barnsley and Reading. Why should we play weaker teams against relegation candidates not sure that would be fair on Derby or Peterborough.

After that we can see where we are in the table and maybe introduce youngsters in the other games either as substitutes or starters.

And it wouldn't be "fair" to Barnsley to play our strongest side against them and then play Reading only 3 days later when not all will be fully recovered. Reading are the side all three of the relegation zone teams are hoping to somehow catch so the fair way to do is things is to save our strongest possible 11 for Monday, no?

Once those games are out of the way I'd love to see some actual academy youngsters get minutes. But there's a big difference in experience level between Ogbeta/Joseph and Rushesha/Congreve.
Swansea City v Barnsley : Matchday Thread 21/22 UPDATED on 10:50 - Apr 14 with 866 viewsunion_jack

Swansea City v Barnsley : Matchday Thread 21/22 UPDATED on 10:38 - Apr 14 by jasper_T

And it wouldn't be "fair" to Barnsley to play our strongest side against them and then play Reading only 3 days later when not all will be fully recovered. Reading are the side all three of the relegation zone teams are hoping to somehow catch so the fair way to do is things is to save our strongest possible 11 for Monday, no?

Once those games are out of the way I'd love to see some actual academy youngsters get minutes. But there's a big difference in experience level between Ogbeta/Joseph and Rushesha/Congreve.

I don’t think we can allow ourselves to get involved in so called fairness. That’s not our problem.

However, there will have been almost a week’s rest so I’d be amazed if the same starting set up as last Saturday doesn’t happen. Though there will be some changes on Monday probably.

Make no mistake, anyone thinking this game is a foregone conclusion will have their backsides bitten. I hope the team don’t take it as such.

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

Swansea City v Barnsley : Matchday Thread 21/22 UPDATED on 10:58 - Apr 14 with 858 viewsBadlands

Swansea City v Barnsley : Matchday Thread 21/22 UPDATED on 23:57 - Apr 13 by YouBackJastard

It would be good but won’t happen.
The conspiracy theorists and their followers will be back as soon as we lose or a player is sold.

As for the game … the ref really worries me. At the first dodgy decision we need to let him know we know what he’s up to. Call him out and continue to the final whistle.

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

Swansea City v Barnsley : Matchday Thread 21/22 UPDATED on 11:16 - Apr 14 with 827 viewsWhiterockin

As long as its mathematically possible to go up play our best team available to win every game. As soon as it goes out the window that's the time to blood the other players.
Swansea City v Barnsley : Matchday Thread 21/22 UPDATED on 11:20 - Apr 14 with 821 viewsmagicdaps10

Swansea City v Barnsley : Matchday Thread 21/22 UPDATED on 09:40 - Apr 14 by Dr_Parnassus

It wasn't. It was brought up with regards to you saying we shouldn't be changing a winning formula.

That is exactly what we were saying when Martin changed the system before Xmas to go on our good run. He then reverted to type and went back to 80% possession and 800 passes a game and getting smashed as a result.

Forest 4-1 defeat being the crowning glory in the return to Martinball. 75% possession, almost 700 passes and 4% long balls. 29 long balls all match. 29 (?!).

Anyone who thinks that its due to the opposition parking the bus can use this match to show that is not the case at all. We had 4 shots on target they had 5.

What I said was it would be unprofessional to change the team on a good run with a player yet to start a game for us so I think you have got lost in translation there.

As I said, I wouldn't at all risk playing Ogteba or Joseph on Friday but would certainly entertain certainly bringing Downes in and possibly Manning.

Joseph would kd surely not be brought into a team to replace Obefami or Piroe.

Ogteba would not at this stage be brought in to replace Wolf and if Wolf was to miss the game for injury for example then you would probably look to put Manning in before him at this stage.

Downes could arguably walk straight back into the team at the expense of Fulton I would suspect and arguably make it a stronger starting 11 with that change.

Swansea City v Barnsley : Matchday Thread 21/22 UPDATED on 11:28 - Apr 14 with 808 viewsSTID2017

Swansea City v Barnsley : Matchday Thread 21/22 UPDATED on 11:20 - Apr 14 by magicdaps10

What I said was it would be unprofessional to change the team on a good run with a player yet to start a game for us so I think you have got lost in translation there.

As I said, I wouldn't at all risk playing Ogteba or Joseph on Friday but would certainly entertain certainly bringing Downes in and possibly Manning.

Joseph would kd surely not be brought into a team to replace Obefami or Piroe.

Ogteba would not at this stage be brought in to replace Wolf and if Wolf was to miss the game for injury for example then you would probably look to put Manning in before him at this stage.

Downes could arguably walk straight back into the team at the expense of Fulton I would suspect and arguably make it a stronger starting 11 with that change.

I agree apart from Downes for Fulton, cannot see any changes.
Could you imagine if he messed about with the team too much and we lost to Barnsley or Reading and missed out on the play offs by two points ?
The usual suspects would be giving pelters to Martin again.
Whilst it is mathematically possible to reach the play offs we have to field our strongest side

Swansea City v Barnsley : Matchday Thread 21/22 UPDATED on 11:43 - Apr 14 with 802 viewsmagicdaps10

Swansea City v Barnsley : Matchday Thread 21/22 UPDATED on 05:41 - Apr 14 by vetchonian

what happened to patience and season of transition
Surely now is the time to test Ogebeta and Joseph

How will we know if these guys will be suitable for next season

I'm really surprised by thos sudden optimism of a play off push....whilst mathematically we can achieve sufficient points we still need lots of other results to go our way and we have a massive goal difference to overhaul.
If we gave spent the last 40 games in transition surely it would make sense now to use the rest of the season in the same way...especially against a team such as Barnsley

If we win Saturday, we could then potentially be 5 points off the play offs with a game in hand.......at this moment in time it is not a time to experiment with young untested players at this level.

I think it speaks volumes that a season of transition as ultimately at this stage of the season given us believe that we could possibly get a play off spot, myself personally think it's a step too far but I am not Foolish enough to think that it might be on. The game Friday is a make or break one for me, its not going to be easy against a team practically in last chance saloon so won't go down easily.

Win Friday and the play off talk will heighten.
Lose and then we can talk about looking at certain players in the remaining games.

Write Barnsley off at your peril.

Swansea City v Barnsley : Matchday Thread 21/22 UPDATED on 11:46 - Apr 14 with 799 viewsSTID2017

Swansea City v Barnsley : Matchday Thread 21/22 UPDATED on 11:16 - Apr 14 by Whiterockin

As long as its mathematically possible to go up play our best team available to win every game. As soon as it goes out the window that's the time to blood the other players.

Is the.correct answer

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024