Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Alex Baptiste? 09:52 - Aug 7 with 13811 viewsaston_hoop

Looking at a move according to West London Sport (not Get West London...big difference in reliability there). worked with Holloway before at Blackpool. Better than what we have or just a cheap and experienced option to have in the squad?

http://www.westlondonsport.com/qpr/qpr-interested-middlesbrough-defender

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Alex Baptiste? on 12:11 - Aug 7 with 3066 viewskingsburyR

He gets my full backing.......

.......I never boo our own. End of!

Dont know why we bother. .... but we do!

Alex Baptiste? on 12:11 - Aug 7 with 3066 viewsbeanofire1

Alex Baptiste? on 12:10 - Aug 7 by ichbinnaughty

OH LEAVE IT OUT BEANO FFS.
GET ON YOUR FEET AND BOO THE CNT AS QUICKLY AS POSSIBLE. SHAPE UP FFS.

Yeah.......I know.....how stupid of me.......

'I knw I ain't doing much........but doing nothing means a lot to me.'

Alex Baptiste? on 12:15 - Aug 7 with 3050 viewsichbinnaughty

Alex Baptiste? on 12:11 - Aug 7 by beanofire1

Yeah.......I know.....how stupid of me.......

WE put up with enough sht down HQ - don't forfeit one of the few pleasures.
I mean, what is more rewarding than hounding 'one of our own' into their shell, watching them fail (and knowing you, as an individual, might be able to take some small amount of credit for it), and humiliating them in front of not only thousands of people, but maybe some of their family and friends.
And then being able to say "I told you so" when they inevitably leave, or hide in the treatment room, or look totally miserable.
COME ON DAMMITT
Alex Baptiste? on 12:18 - Aug 7 with 3026 viewssimmo

Usually good for a goal or 2 as well. 3 goals for Preston last season, in 25 odd games.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Alex Baptiste? on 12:18 - Aug 7 with 3020 viewsichbinnaughty

I've got to say, he looks like a regular at your local rough pub.
The sort of bloke with bags under the eyes from last night's session; who just props up the bar daily, slowly draining pints and occasionally playing the fruity.
Alex Baptiste? on 12:21 - Aug 7 with 3001 viewsAntti_Heinola

Alex Baptiste? on 12:11 - Aug 7 by daveB

Why is it an odd one?

We needed to improve the defence and this is someone who can play in a back three, has done well at this level for several years and is on a free transfer.

Just don't rate him, mainly. And the Watford guy was supposed to be coming in. Played 33 games in 2 years. Just always thought he was a poor defender to be honest.
But i like the free bit and we do need cover there. We'll see. Hope he does well!

Bare bones.

Alex Baptiste? on 12:29 - Aug 7 with 2952 viewsdaveB

Alex Baptiste? on 12:21 - Aug 7 by Antti_Heinola

Just don't rate him, mainly. And the Watford guy was supposed to be coming in. Played 33 games in 2 years. Just always thought he was a poor defender to be honest.
But i like the free bit and we do need cover there. We'll see. Hope he does well!

he was injured season before last, played 25 games for Preston last year.

the Watford guy is still injured but expect he'll still end up signing as well, we are quite short at centre half even had Perch playing there saturday
Alex Baptiste? on 12:33 - Aug 7 with 2911 viewsichbinnaughty

Alex Baptiste? on 12:18 - Aug 7 by ichbinnaughty

I've got to say, he looks like a regular at your local rough pub.
The sort of bloke with bags under the eyes from last night's session; who just props up the bar daily, slowly draining pints and occasionally playing the fruity.

Watched the video interview on the official site - he comes across pretty well.
No nonsense, no frills.
Actually quite like that - far too much of the modern day footballer is stupid hair, stupid headphones etc.
Login to get fewer ads

Alex Baptiste? on 12:38 - Aug 7 with 2877 viewsWadR

I've actually always thought he was quite good in a very basic championship way...

Good price, good age, good cover. And is an immediate upgrade on Perch for the right centreback slot.
Alex Baptiste? on 12:41 - Aug 7 with 2857 viewsDorse

He's probably 14% quicker than Perch due to improved aerodynamics.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Alex Baptiste? on 12:46 - Aug 7 with 2811 viewssimmo

First choice back 3;

Chief--Hall--Lynch

2nd choice back 3;

Perch--Caulker--Baptiste

Phillips, Haimalen, etc as youth options.

Seems fine to me.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Alex Baptiste? on 12:51 - Aug 7 with 2774 viewsToast_R

Won a promotion under Holloway but then so did Ian Evett... Give the man a chance though he could be a handy signing. Needs a nickname before he can become a proper QPR fans boo boy - like Legs of Wood and Dave etc.

Can he be affectionately known as Bapps?
Alex Baptiste? on 12:52 - Aug 7 with 2772 viewsrobith

As an aside about the club in general. Story breaks this morning, is announced shortly afterwards.

This is a pattern I've noticed over the last 18 months or so. The club has really gotten better about not throwing transfer news around the media like grass seed - it's a mark of being much more professional imo.

On the signing - I've genuinely never heard of him, but we could do with defensive cover. Hope he does well
Alex Baptiste? on 13:03 - Aug 7 with 2699 viewsRBlock

Alex Baptiste? on 12:52 - Aug 7 by robith

As an aside about the club in general. Story breaks this morning, is announced shortly afterwards.

This is a pattern I've noticed over the last 18 months or so. The club has really gotten better about not throwing transfer news around the media like grass seed - it's a mark of being much more professional imo.

On the signing - I've genuinely never heard of him, but we could do with defensive cover. Hope he does well

Definitely with you on this. Minimal rumours, no stupid tweets, one quick article on WLS before it is announced a matter of minutes later. Nice to see.

As for the player, seems like a bit of a clogger. Don't have huge expectations but then that has suited us well recently. Hoping for Hill mark 2, but not holding my breath. Solid and cheap cover who has a good relationship with the manager. Ticks the boxes.
[Post edited 7 Aug 2017 13:19]
Alex Baptiste? on 13:08 - Aug 7 with 2664 viewskenthoop11

Alex Baptiste? on 12:38 - Aug 7 by WadR

I've actually always thought he was quite good in a very basic championship way...

Good price, good age, good cover. And is an immediate upgrade on Perch for the right centreback slot.

Complete agree. He played 25 games for a Preston side that finished in the top half last season - can't be that bad. Thought Perch played really well on Saturday by the way, but if we're playing 3 at the back this season then it definitely makes sense to have some options. Happy with this signing.
Alex Baptiste? on 13:33 - Aug 7 with 2535 viewsbaz_qpr

Given bar the period at boro where he's broken his leg, he's played more games than he has sat out in the championship / prem and league one as a squad player that has to be a fairly decent signing, they've not bought him to walk straight in the team, and who knows what will happen with Caulker so they have to keep that covered.

Makes sense
Alex Baptiste? on 13:36 - Aug 7 with 2520 viewsderbyhoop

Decent signing on a free transfer.
He's a known quantity - to Olly, at least.
Plenty of experience at this level.
Probably not commanding huge wages.
Fills a position where we are short.

Is he good enough? Don't know.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Alex Baptiste? on 13:44 - Aug 7 with 2473 viewsrsonist

What's all this moaning about. There's literally no reason whatsoever to think that Penrice and Johnson didn't spent hard weeks identifying numerous possibilities local and global, grafting with all their years experience in the game to zero in on the perfect solution to our defensive needs. #WelcomeAlex!
Alex Baptiste? on 13:56 - Aug 7 with 2409 viewsfrancisbowles

Some reports saying he still had a contract with Middlesbrough which has been cancelled to allow him to move, which could be a good sign.

Two years with us, at 31 he will have to perform to earn another after it.

Very unlucky to break his leg with 'boro and not been able to get a look in since as they got promoted and changed manager.

25 games for Preston, on loan, last season and they were decent but it is a 46 game season?

He will get chances with Ollie, so good luck to him. Hoping to see him playing tomorrow night
Alex Baptiste? on 14:29 - Aug 7 with 2290 viewsDejR_vu

Alex Baptiste? on 12:11 - Aug 7 by davman

Already begun, hasn't it?

I can't see anything on this thread that's anything approaching a meltdown, just a few people expressing some reservations. I tend to think that any hysteria comes not so much from the people accused of being hysterical, but the people desperate to accuse others.

As for the player, if he's been signed as first choice that's not great. But if he's come in as a squad player to do a job where necessary, in an area where we're weak, then a free transfer, presumably on sensible wages, looks reasonably sound.

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

Alex Baptiste? on 14:31 - Aug 7 with 2272 viewsdaveB

Alex Baptiste? on 14:29 - Aug 7 by DejR_vu

I can't see anything on this thread that's anything approaching a meltdown, just a few people expressing some reservations. I tend to think that any hysteria comes not so much from the people accused of being hysterical, but the people desperate to accuse others.

As for the player, if he's been signed as first choice that's not great. But if he's come in as a squad player to do a job where necessary, in an area where we're weak, then a free transfer, presumably on sensible wages, looks reasonably sound.

yeah it was tongue in cheek about a meltdown
Alex Baptiste? on 14:50 - Aug 7 with 2170 viewsfrancisbowles

Alex Baptiste? on 14:29 - Aug 7 by DejR_vu

I think he has been signed to give the defenders some competition, which if he proves himself could mean he goes ahead of Lynch, Perch or any of them if he really does well!
Alex Baptiste? on 14:58 - Aug 7 with 2126 viewsvegasranger

As per usual our transfer policy takes another twist. I imagine brought in on Holloway's request. Probably not scouted , no sell on value. Seems to have started well at Preston , got injured and was never quite the same after. Lazy signing.
Alex Baptiste? on 15:09 - Aug 7 with 2075 viewssouthbrookstreet

Yer you're right.... he was crap along with the west London sport
Alex Baptiste? on 15:10 - Aug 7 with 2071 viewsToast_R

Alex Baptiste? on 14:58 - Aug 7 by vegasranger

As per usual our transfer policy takes another twist. I imagine brought in on Holloway's request. Probably not scouted , no sell on value. Seems to have started well at Preston , got injured and was never quite the same after. Lazy signing.

Lazy?
It's a signing made with the current budget available, Holloway knows the player and no doubt thinks he'll work hard for the club. A two year deal isn't too shabby for both parties.

Lets just see how he goes shall we before we get all Alexander O'Neal on the poor bastard.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024