Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Alex Baptiste? 09:52 - Aug 7 with 13858 viewsaston_hoop

Looking at a move according to West London Sport (not Get West London...big difference in reliability there). worked with Holloway before at Blackpool. Better than what we have or just a cheap and experienced option to have in the squad?

http://www.westlondonsport.com/qpr/qpr-interested-middlesbrough-defender

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Alex Baptiste? on 15:23 - Aug 7 with 2860 viewsGloucs_R

Alex Baptiste? on 15:10 - Aug 7 by Toast_R

Lazy?
It's a signing made with the current budget available, Holloway knows the player and no doubt thinks he'll work hard for the club. A two year deal isn't too shabby for both parties.

Lets just see how he goes shall we before we get all Alexander O'Neal on the poor bastard.

Hill and Nelsen were two defenders I was underwhelmed with when we signed.....

Lynch and Bidwell I was really happy with.........

What do I know hey!

Poll: Are we staying up?

Alex Baptiste? on 15:29 - Aug 7 with 2825 viewsfrancisbowles

Alex Baptiste? on 14:58 - Aug 7 by vegasranger

As per usual our transfer policy takes another twist. I imagine brought in on Holloway's request. Probably not scouted , no sell on value. Seems to have started well at Preston , got injured and was never quite the same after. Lazy signing.

If he is on a free, then why would we expect a sell on value?
Alex Baptiste? on 15:34 - Aug 7 with 2787 viewsToast_R

Alex Baptiste? on 15:23 - Aug 7 by Gloucs_R

Hill and Nelsen were two defenders I was underwhelmed with when we signed.....

Lynch and Bidwell I was really happy with.........

What do I know hey!

Need you say more?
Worse then that was the calls for Wilkins as manager when Francis left. Fans tend to base most of their opinions on emotions , we're all guilty of it and it's only natural I guess. Sometimes you need to have a little risk assessment first.
[Post edited 7 Aug 2017 15:43]
Alex Baptiste? on 15:39 - Aug 7 with 2765 viewsaston_hoop

As per usual our transfer policy takes another twist. I imagine brought in on Holloway's request. Probably not scouted , no sell on value. Seems to have started well at Preston , got injured and was never quite the same after. Lazy signing.

Strange post. Probably not scouted? he played under Holloway for years at Blackpool and he's been a regular in the Championship for a long time..I doubt between our staff there was a lack of knowledge about him. And no sell on value? for a 31 year old free transfer backup defender? I'm not sure thats quite what he has been signed for.

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Alex Baptiste? on 15:46 - Aug 7 with 2726 viewsGloucs_R

Alex Baptiste? on 15:39 - Aug 7 by aston_hoop

Strange post. Probably not scouted? he played under Holloway for years at Blackpool and he's been a regular in the Championship for a long time..I doubt between our staff there was a lack of knowledge about him. And no sell on value? for a 31 year old free transfer backup defender? I'm not sure thats quite what he has been signed for.

I think it was Pullis that said - I do not sign players for their resale value, I sign them to finish higher than I did last season.

We have a good approach - finish higher and make some money.

Poll: Are we staying up?

Alex Baptiste? on 15:52 - Aug 7 with 2717 viewskensalriser

Good signing. #freshscapegoats

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Alex Baptiste? on 15:57 - Aug 7 with 2686 viewsTonto

at least we don't have high expectations, so he can only surprise us!

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

Alex Baptiste? on 15:57 - Aug 7 with 2685 viewsAntti_Heinola

Alex Baptiste? on 15:34 - Aug 7 by Toast_R

Need you say more?
Worse then that was the calls for Wilkins as manager when Francis left. Fans tend to base most of their opinions on emotions , we're all guilty of it and it's only natural I guess. Sometimes you need to have a little risk assessment first.
[Post edited 7 Aug 2017 15:43]

tbf Wilkins had a very good first season and just about everyone in football expected him to be a top manager.

Bare bones.

Login to get fewer ads

Alex Baptiste? on 15:59 - Aug 7 with 2680 viewsvegasranger

Alex Baptiste? on 15:39 - Aug 7 by aston_hoop

I mentioned it because it had become our new ethos ( the latest ) !! Sign young, improve and sell for a profit. This seems like a bit of a panic buy. Wish him well.
Alex Baptiste? on 16:02 - Aug 7 with 2674 viewsHantsR

Alex Baptiste? on 12:51 - Aug 7 by Toast_R

Won a promotion under Holloway but then so did Ian Evett... Give the man a chance though he could be a handy signing. Needs a nickname before he can become a proper QPR fans boo boy - like Legs of Wood and Dave etc.

Can he be affectionately known as Bapps?

as this is a London side, he should be addressed as 'John'
Alex Baptiste? on 16:23 - Aug 7 with 2608 viewsdaveB

All signings will be made at Holloways request, same as when JFH was manager all signings were wanted by him as well, No change really in that regard
Alex Baptiste? on 16:32 - Aug 7 with 2572 viewsdaveB

Alex Baptiste? on 15:59 - Aug 7 by vegasranger

I mentioned it because it had become our new ethos ( the latest ) !! Sign young, improve and sell for a profit. This seems like a bit of a panic buy. Wish him well.

not sure it's a panic buy, we are lacking in defence and Baptise is a decent defender with experience and someone Holloway knows so he will have a good idea what he'd be like around dressing room, how he will fit in etc. I don't think he's a world beater but with Hall injured, Caulker unreliable and Perch a maniac likely to face a few suspensions this seems a sensible move to improve the defence.

I don't think every signing needs to be a case of sign young and sell for a profit need a balance to the squad
Alex Baptiste? on 16:44 - Aug 7 with 2530 viewsBrightonhoop

Think it's a good signing, we dont know if Caulker will work out yet, on a free, 31 so unlikely to be on silly wages and did 25 games for PNE last season. Sunderland were after him too I read.
Alex Baptiste? on 17:13 - Aug 7 with 2423 viewsToast_R

Alex Baptiste? on 15:57 - Aug 7 by Antti_Heinola

tbf Wilkins had a very good first season and just about everyone in football expected him to be a top manager.

You think?

He still had Les Ferdinand when he took over so was on pretty safe ground but the sale of Les and the slight re-building job required with the funds that summer was sadly where he came up ridiculously short. This is where an experienced manager or DOF was desperately needed. They had one shot at getting that right and bearing mind Gallen and Dichio had come through, all that was needed was a reliable fit striker to fill in gaps but to then sign his aging crock of a mate was IMO a catastrophic piece of borderline arrogance.

Put him on the pile with Brian Robson, same era and in theory both should have been good managers but for reasons I would imagine are not that far dissimilar , they were tosh.
Alex Baptiste? on 17:18 - Aug 7 with 2394 viewsLblock

Alex Baptiste? on 16:02 - Aug 7 by HantsR

as this is a London side, he should be addressed as 'John'

Well you can go that route but I have, in my own head, already christened him...

From hereon I shall refer to him as Barry

WELCOME TO BARRY THE BAPTIST

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Alex Baptiste? on 17:22 - Aug 7 with 2376 viewsbosh67

He is unspectacular but Caulker will move on and we do need one or two been there done it players. He will get a few pelters like Perch does but he will do a job for us.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Alex Baptiste? on 17:29 - Aug 7 with 2355 viewsdaveB

Alex Baptiste? on 17:13 - Aug 7 by Toast_R

You think?

He still had Les Ferdinand when he took over so was on pretty safe ground but the sale of Les and the slight re-building job required with the funds that summer was sadly where he came up ridiculously short. This is where an experienced manager or DOF was desperately needed. They had one shot at getting that right and bearing mind Gallen and Dichio had come through, all that was needed was a reliable fit striker to fill in gaps but to then sign his aging crock of a mate was IMO a catastrophic piece of borderline arrogance.

Put him on the pile with Brian Robson, same era and in theory both should have been good managers but for reasons I would imagine are not that far dissimilar , they were tosh.

Wilkins wasn't that bad, we were in trouble when he took over but played really well that first year under him, beat Arsenal twice, beat Chelsea and weren't far off Europe before we had a bad Easter weekend, got to the quarter final of the FA Cup as well.

Problems came after Les left and he had Clive Berlin over him when he could have done with more help in the transfer market. We were a bit unlucky to go down that year, we missed several penalties in key games which could have kept us up and actually started the following season well, think we won the first 2, then drew at Wolves before losing to Bolton who went onto win the league. I don't think we'd have been any worse off if we had kept him rather than go for Stuart Houston
Alex Baptiste? on 17:39 - Aug 7 with 2308 viewsLblock

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Alex Baptiste? on 17:43 - Aug 7 with 2295 viewsWren67

Alex Baptiste? on 17:18 - Aug 7 by Lblock

Well you can go that route but I have, in my own head, already christened him...

From hereon I shall refer to him as Barry

WELCOME TO BARRY THE BAPTIST

Call him FIRE....... Fire Baptiste. He has power and fire in his soul.
Hope to see him building defensive walls against Northampton tomorrow night.

Welcome to QPR Mr Baptiste
Alex Baptiste? on 17:44 - Aug 7 with 2290 viewseastside_r

Alex Baptiste? on 13:08 - Aug 7 by kenthoop11

Complete agree. He played 25 games for a Preston side that finished in the top half last season - can't be that bad. Thought Perch played really well on Saturday by the way, but if we're playing 3 at the back this season then it definitely makes sense to have some options. Happy with this signing.

Did he play against us at LR last season?

They came relatively close-to-the-bottom after a bad start and I think that (0-1) win kick-started their season.
Alex Baptiste? on 18:17 - Aug 7 with 2192 viewsPunteR

I actually think this signing is ok. I think our squad needed more experience in it and for me Baptiste will do a decent enough job.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Alex Baptiste? on 19:30 - Aug 7 with 2063 viewsLongsufferingR

Was in two minds about this until I read his interview on the offy. Now I'm thinking get away with you, you dirty bstard and learn some manners:

"I will leave it all on the pitch"

Sounds like he was brought up in a barn.
Alex Baptiste? on 20:16 - Aug 7 with 1966 viewsYorkRanger

Don't forget the uproar when we signed Derry, Hill and Kenny. How about we give him a chance...
Alex Baptiste? on 20:44 - Aug 7 with 1907 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Alex Baptiste? on 15:57 - Aug 7 by Antti_Heinola

Agree with the first statement but not sure the second is true. I always felt that he was too pally with the players to be manager and was better placed as a number 2. That said, I thought the way Wright bombed him out after a good start in the championship was harsh.

As for Baptiste, distinctly underwhelmed but we've signed worse. What will become of Caulker?
[Post edited 7 Aug 2017 21:06]
Alex Baptiste? on 21:50 - Aug 7 with 1789 viewsLythamR

Something to bear in mind is that he was well thought of by the Preston fans, this is no mean feat for a player who spent seasons at Blackpool winning promotion and playing for them in the premiership, the initial reaction would have been pretty hostile when he turned up there, he obviously won them over.

Always looked effective without being spectacular to me, as a freebie this could well turn out to be a decent bit of business
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024